Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Your favorite isekai thought crime
slavery
war crimes
boobs
protags that correctly remember and know how to recreate complex technologies
View Results

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

RareAcumen posted:

I don't really have a fully sketched out thought on this but I feel like there's a chance might you're slightly over examining a manga/manwha if things like 'People haven't already made the Sukiya menu by now' or 'the rich are treated better' gives you the heebie jeebies. It's not like we're not doing that ourselves with all the hostile architecture being done about the unhoused. (In the U.S. at least, I have absolutely no idea how the rest of the world is dealing with their own)

I'm not really sure what to make of it, I feel like it used to be a pretty common trope/cliche to have a spoiled kid/teenager/rival for the less well off main character to appear better than because they're not a spoiled brat? Like, Veruca Salt in (at least) the Gene Wilder Willy Wonka movie vs Charlie Bucket, Jack Horner is basically the same thing in the last Puss in Boots movie, probably happens a few times in Gundam over the years.

Yeah the ojou bullying the righteous protagonist is a staple anime trope. Even the laugh she does is a codified thing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

thetoughestbean posted:

Yeah the ojou bullying the righteous protagonist is a staple anime trope. Even the laugh she does is a codified thing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffiiYPg5qSc

Nobody does it like Naga the Serpent. Nobody.

ianmacdo
Oct 30, 2012

Paracelsus posted:

Evil Lord of an Intergalactic Empire?

I liked this one, and I think the author actually put a bit more thought into the setting compared to most Isekais.
Some of the asides he mentions, stuff like the nobles will fight each other, but if people on a planet start to ask for democracy, the nobles will put aside their differences and come together to firebomb that planet down to bedrock.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
I like Evil Lord of an intergalactic empire but I'm on book 5 and the joke is starting to get old.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Nemo2342 posted:

Sure, but that one is definitely a different vibe. She goes back and forth between "I will do this objectively good thing because it will keep people from executing me in the future" and "I will do this petty thing to spite my future enemy, which accidentally ends up being a good thing" while having some genuine affection for the people who are close to her.

Intergalactic Empire was 100% "I will do this selfish thing because I want to be a jerk, wait why is everyone happy about this?".

empire also has a dash of "protagonist doesn't quite understand what being evil is about".

drilldo squirt posted:

I like Evil Lord of an intergalactic empire but I'm on book 5 and the joke is starting to get old.

yeah it doesn't really have much beyond the base joke and kinda runs out of steam eventually. fun while it lasts though

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
so I have not followed "I'm A Spider, So What?" in webnovel/light novel form, only the manga. which has recently reached a point where she is no longer a spider. now she's a god? but like, a weak, fledgling god, who can barely move and has to be ferried about because she's so useless now. I would like to ask from folks who read the WN/LN, without major spoilers or anything, does the story continue in interesting directions from here, I have liked the stuff so far with the spiders piloting mannequins becoming part of the crew, the demon king becoming a buddy, and the little vampire kid and her supporter becoming trainees under the spider, as well as the weird cyborg elf antagonist and them fighting an automated UFO planetary destroyer thing? that was weird but fun. I've liked the series over its course but it feels like a different series from where it started. But with the recent events it seems like it might be going back to those roots a bit, albeit with a group instead of solo.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

I haven't read the last light novel but from where the manga is if you liked it so far you'll probably have a good time. Some people think the hero side book was boring but I liked it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The manga basically excises a bunch of stuff from the LN, right? Like that thing you mentioned, there's supposed to be entire storylines with other characters and those just aren't in the manga at all, correct?

I can't google a loving thing with this series because just like, looking up the name of the little vampire girl and whoops massive spoiler on what she looks like as an adult and some stuff about what role she plays in the story later apparently right there in the first results! Some real attack on titan problems with search results for this series

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Yeah the manga isn't fresh in memory but I think you're right it cuts a bunch of hero side stuff. Kind of B plots for the novels and one book near the end to bring the two together.

Timeline spoiler. The two plots run concurrently in the books but the spider stuff takes place when the hero team is babies. Maybe they ditched the split and are just going to cover stuff in order.

Edit: and now I'm rereading the spider manga I hope you're happy with yourself.

Guyver fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jan 18, 2024

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
For me, as someone who's read the entire light novel, the part where the manga is headed from here is pretty much my favorite part of the whole story, up until we start verging into established continuity with the Hero again.

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

The manga basically excises a bunch of stuff from the LN, right? Like that thing you mentioned, there's supposed to be entire storylines with other characters and those just aren't in the manga at all, correct?

Yeah in the WN/LN every few chapters are dedicated to other characters point of view. It seems kind of tedious at first so I get why they cut it for later. I'm thinking it might get saved for one long flashback, rather than cutting back and forth? At least I hope so, the way it all comes together is good

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Guyver posted:

I haven't read the last light novel but from where the manga is if you liked it so far you'll probably have a good time. Some people think the hero side book was boring but I liked it.

I liked the hero-side stuff more than the Kumoko stuff mainly because the latter is ironically more typical as far as "isekai power fantasy" stuff goes. It basically follows the fairly common pattern of isekai stories where someone "starts weak and with some kind of gimmick (like being a spider or a slime or having a shield instead of a normal weapon, etc) but quickly becomes super powerful due to cheats/luck." In Kumoko the "cheats" are mainly a combination of "being a sapient monster" (in a setting where monsters are inherently stronger than humans/demons) and Pride (which makes her level up faster IIRC). The stuff with Shun/etc is more novel specifically because he isn't very powerful in the grand scheme of things.

I think this series benefits from, in many cases, being peoples' first exposure to this sort of story, so Kumoko's perspective actually is novel for them. But it leads to a lot of silly opinions where people think that the Shun side is "stereotypical isekai" despite that literally being the opposite of reality.

This story is better than most other isekai WNs though, despite doing similar things. Mainly because it has a decently-developed setting, and because the protagonist is unique (albeit in a way I find kind of obnoxious, but it's still preferable to the protagonist being "a misanthropic Japanese teenage boy/man").

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
my favorite part of kumoko was the look behind the scenes of shin's generic isekai adventure.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Captain Invictus posted:

so I have not followed "I'm A Spider, So What?" in webnovel/light novel form, only the manga.

I would like to ask from folks who read the WN/LN, without major spoilers or anything, does the story continue in interesting directions from here

For a short answer, stick with it till me/others start bitching about it, and even then you might still like it because it’s all fresh for you. For a longer answer…

It’s hard to answer “is it interesting” because the fundamental construction of the story is so different. I really like the manga’s approach because the most frustrating things about the LN for me were entire books with no spider later on. It’s fine early on to bounce back and forth, but there’s so much that could have been truncated easily and it really soured me on the story. I’m interested just to see how the plot comes around when all that stuff is excised and how they handle some of the bigger problems this approach generates.

For a little more elaboration (no spoilers if current with manga) A lot of the interesting bits of this part of the story come from the fact that the reader is starting to connect the dots on who everyone actually is. The LN constructs the story in a way that falsely compares Kumoko’s struggles at the start with the struggles of her reincarnated classmates when they are 16 y/o or so, and implies they are contemporaneous. We know that is false from the vampire girl being outed as a reincarnator.

This means you are hearing about events and people from her classmate’s perspectives, but that is about 10 years in the future from Kumoko being a godling right now. So LN readers know where this godling bit is going, but Manga readers do not, when we’re at this part of the story.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Turns out they do have some of the hero side of the story in the manga as volume bonus chapters. The two so far are from Feirune's perspective hatching and figuring out Shun is Japanese.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
cool, thanks all, I'm glad it doesn't go south from here. interesting how they're reorganizing the story structure in the manga this way.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

my favorite part of kumoko was the look behind the scenes of shin's generic isekai adventure.

But that's the thing, it's not generic! Shun's abilities and role in even his own story are not similar to most other isekai stories. Kumoko's side is far more typical - "protagonist starts seemingly weak but actually has OP cheat abilities" is a far more common setting.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
It is less that kumoko's story was always generic, it is that genericness has changed to make the default closer to the story.
The WN was fairly refreshing att, but there are many similar stories these days. Though I suppose action stories that take several chapters until the protagonist becomes utterly op and that have a female mc is still a not too common combination. Can't actually think of another one offhand, though there must be some that escape me.

Shin's story starts out ultra generic at least in the WN, I heard that is actually changed in the LN. Only once we get all the background reveals it becomes more interesting then Kumoko's.
And the long term backstory is more complicated, while cool by isekai standards it is also essentially a bad end of Final Fantasy 7.

The best arcs are "Rondat's Adventures", and "Vampire Girl goes to Demon School" anyway.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Every story is generic, because they focus on a protagonist that was weak at the beginning and then strong at the end.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

RareAcumen posted:

Every story is generic, because they focus on a protagonist that was weak at the beginning and then strong at the end.

Hey, hey, this is the no judgement Isekai thread, we go from stronger to strongest in these parts.

Unless you're talking about Kumodesu, in which case carry on.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

RareAcumen posted:

Wrong, Web Novels never end.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
they just go on indefinite hiatus

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i read one that ended because of the author's health. all the events in motion just kind of stagnated, the world started a steady and inexorable decline, and the mc didn't escape from the situation he was in, so he was never seen again. it was really ballsy.

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011
Kumoko at least has some real struggles going on and creative fight (... design? choreography?) by the author.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I only read the manga but kumoko was the most boring poo poo possible, nothing happened in like 50 chapters

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

A jargogle posted:

Kumoko at least has some real struggles going on and creative fight (... design? choreography?) by the author.

Yeah, it's definitely a cut above most competitors (there's a reason I read most of it*). And the poster who mentioned Kumoko largely "defining the stereotype/genre" was also correct. I just disagree strongly about the "Shun side is generic" comments. Like, Shun-side is the side without most power-fantasy elements! His side was the one that left me wondering if he and his friends would ever be able to enter "the big leagues." You could maybe argue that the very beginning of his route is like this, but as soon as he goes to the academy it's immediately apparent that it's a big world and that he's an underdog in the grand scheme of things. I only read the WN, but apparently the LN even has vampire-girl (with her and the Oni guy basically being the other genuinely "broken" characters) encounter him fairly early on?

Also, Shun's personality of "a good guy who is kind towards people" is also pretty atypical for isekai stories. He's more comparable with a shounen protagonist.

I also liked the situation with Shun's friend who became a girl, though IIRC the story sadly never did anything interesting with it.

* I got to the latest WN chapter years back, which IIRC was during a flashback of the main antagonist guy

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

kirbysuperstar posted:

I only read the manga but kumoko was the most boring poo poo possible, nothing happened in like 50 chapters
Wrong. The spider's numbers went up and it was great

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Actually, how much stuff is there like the spider wn in Japanese webnovel circles? I feel like I haven’t read anything else like it but my tastes tend toward different stuff so that’s no surprise. I associate that sort of number-go-up dungeon-crawling more with Korean stuff.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Reincarnated as a Dragon and Reincarnated as a Sword come to mind. Both are non-human numbers go up stories. Sword seems to have distanced itself from the whole stat page as story telling thing. Spider does too later in the series now that I think of it.

There's Reincarnated as a Slime but it never really got into stat blocks.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

I seem to recall Legendary Moonlight Sculptor being pretty numbery.

But, yeah, I get the impression that Korean and English scenes seem a bit more invested in the numbers.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

The Spider anime was kind of a disaster, but it did put in some neat hints as to the time difference with shots being taken from a tiny spider's perspective.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

from what I can tell spider lost focus at some point and just started kinda doing whatever

e: like i usually do a "read a few recent chapters" test before deciding whether to read something from the start and it was kind of a mess that kept jumping between perspectives and plotlines. looked through it a bit more and it became clear that this began after a certain point.

this was years ago though so maybe it got better again, i'm not really interested in giving it another shot however. first impressions count for a lot i guess

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jan 20, 2024

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
I read the entire Spider LN and thought it was decently entertaining. You could do worse things with your time, and it is a relatively short series anyway.

The demon lord was the best character.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Indiana_Krom posted:

I read the entire Spider LN and thought it was decently entertaining. You could do worse things with your time, and it is a relatively short series anyway.

The demon lord was the best character.

if by best you mean having the most emotionally devastating backstory then yes

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Yinlock posted:

from what I can tell spider lost focus at some point and just started kinda doing whatever

To be fair, I feel like this is a common issue with most stories that start out as web novels. At some point the need to keep putting chapters out on schedule means they just run off into nonsense.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo
MangaDex MangaDex and MangaDex MangaDex MangaDex MangaDex MangaDex MangaDex MangaDex MangaDex MangaDex MangaDex MangaDex MangaDex MangaDex MangaDex MangaDex MangaDex MangaDex MangaDex MangaDex MangaDex MangaDex MangaDex MangaDex MangaDex MangaDex MangaDex MangaDex MangaDex MangaDex MangaDex MangaDex MangaDex MangaDex MangaDex MangaDex MangaDex MangaDex MangaDex MangaDex MangaDex MangaDex MangaDex MangaDex MangaDex MangaDex MangaDex MangaDex MangaDex MangaDex MangaDex MangaDex MangaDex MangaDex MangaDex MangaDex MangaDex MangaDex MangaDex MangaDex MangaDex MangaDex MangaDex MangaDex MangaDex MangaDex MangaDex MangaDex MangaDex MangaDex MangaDex MangaDex MangaDex MangaDex MangaDex MangaDex MangaDex MangaDex MangaDex MangaDex MangaDex MangaDex MangaDex MangaDex MangaDex

EVIL Gibson fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Feb 5, 2024

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
here's the mangadex page for it for folks who don't want to go to some random site for it
https://mangadex.org/title/b4615bd9-7cbd-4243-a8a2-5c24671663e0/yajin-tensei-karate-survivor-in-another-world

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
four new chapters of Faraway Paladin dropped and HOLY loving poo poo
https://mangadex.org/title/1f40b922-6abb-418e-a7e9-cc4d25b21439/saihate-no-paladin

these chapters are basically a power metal song in manga form

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

EVIL Gibson posted:

If you all want a rather trope-free isekai, you should look up Karate Survivor in Another World

Starts off with very familiar trope of being hit by a truck, god gives 0 fucks, and Japanese guy has to live in the middle of a forest.

Then journeys to a town with a girl who he got in trouble with and... Get this.

Doesn't stick around with her as his first partner.

Then after entering a guild, curtails the whole "big mean guy hates new guy" trope.

The world is not welcoming, people are constantly being poo poo, but he found himself in a real awesome party.

Karate survivor is one of the better isekais in my opinion, because my dude is really just trying to make ends meet in a world where everything sucks. You could really make a similar manga that was just like "Homeless Survivor in LA"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Captain Invictus posted:

four new chapters of Faraway Paladin dropped and HOLY loving poo poo
https://mangadex.org/title/1f40b922-6abb-418e-a7e9-cc4d25b21439/saihate-no-paladin

these chapters are basically a power metal song in manga form

The last two episodes of S2 of the anime covered this material.