Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Your favorite isekai thought crime
slavery
war crimes
boobs
protags that correctly remember and know how to recreate complex technologies
View Results

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
Did the shield hero anime clean up the misogyny and slavery fetish any? I was talking to a friend of a friend and she thought Shield Hero anime was amazing and had no objections to the content. I don’t really want to watch it to find out (and I don’t actually remember the comic outside of reading enough yikes to stop reading). I’m assuming she just didn’t think about it too hard though and it’s still very bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Captain Invictus posted:

It's the Edgy And Brutal Intro, dontcha know

The concept of "an entire school gets isekai'd" piqued my curiosity and that was immediately dashed by the rest of the summary

Is that the one where the guy who seemingly has no powers actually has the strongest power or is that another whole class isekai where students immediately use a power imbalance for rape and murder

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Nathilus posted:

I feel responsible for the poo poo that gets posted in this thread, so I read this for science.

:stonkhat:

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Wark Say posted:

It's fine, but you have to live in Utah.

Joesph Smith isekai’d into our world

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Tales of symphonia is an isekai but only for half the cast at a time

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

90s Cringe Rock posted:

ADTRW is an iseakai.

Anime Dungeon Terrorists: Reincarnated Weeaboos

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

That Guy Bob posted:

Demolition Man starring Sylvester Stallone and Wesley Snipes is non-ironically a time travel isekai.

Real question, is there a "good" isekai where the MC is an unrepentant piece of poo poo?

There was isekai nursery or something where the guy becomes a summoner but all his summons are level 1 baby monsters and he’s a pretty lovely banker guy who scams people. It wasn’t great and got cancelled but it wasn’t awful either? The ending was cute iirc

E: https://mangadex.org/title/23004/dungeon-nursery

E:2 Oh lol that doesnt have eng scans whatever

Fellis fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Sep 15, 2019

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Reverse Isekai: dungeons full of monsters reincarnate into the modern world

https://mangadex.org/title/30442/bouken-ka-ni-narou-sukiruboudo-de-dungeon-kouryaku

Functionally its a fantasy story but they have blogs and cars to drive home after adventuring

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

GATE is the horniest isekai if millitant japanase nationalism is your kink

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Namtab posted:

Is there any barrel left after how thoroughly its been scraped

i havent read “Reincarnated as a Barrel in a World Full of Scrapers!” yet, ill let u know

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

I dont think this one has been posted yet:

https://mangadex.org/title/21809/genjitsushugisha-no-oukokukaizouki

The MC gets isekai’d into a kingdom in dire economic plight and they expect him to go be a Hero as tribute to a larger nation they are in debt to. Instead he solves their economic problems and erases the debt cause he’s just some schmuck and will die. The King realizes the MC is way more responsible than him and just abdicates to the MC so he can live a carefree life with his hot wife.

Kinda has some Maoyuu Maou Yuusha vibes where the MC introduces macro scale things like crop rotation and sanitation. There’s horniness, but not anything that pegs the needle in comparison to the last page or so ITT, just bountiful baps and they make sure the MC knows polygamy is a’ok! The MC is also good about having competent side characters, like this early recruit we can all identify with:

E: its nothing special, just average overall but solid gold for this thread. Besides you sickos will read anything posted here anyway

Fellis fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Sep 22, 2019

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Captain_duck posted:

So the anime Isekai Cheat Magician

The only remotely interesting thing about the manga is that the villians seemed competent and had a decent plan to corrupt the MC, but of course it was effortlessly brushed aside so i stopped reading. No idea how far the show got in that plot though

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

My dreams are an isekai

I am going to stop falling asleep to reading garbo isekai

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

The Dark Carnival is an isekai

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

I’ve been reading some trash on LHT’s website and was thinking about summarizing here, but wanted a rubric. I thought of making a bingo board, this was the best one I found online. Any substitiutions? I think free space should be “no plot tension whatsoever” instead of truck-kun

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

I spent too long doing this (mostly because I am not creative enough to think of funny spaces), summaries later

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

All isekai are bad hth. Also konosuba wouldn’t be a good example of the genre if it didnt include tropes

Guyver posted:

You've never actually played bingo, have you?

6x6 bingo boards with 4 free spaces are what’s cool now, sorry dad you’re just not with it anymore

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Mirage posted:

So, uh, like, he can NEVER wear clothing? Or clothing doesn't even exist in this world and everybody's running around naked? ("Why are you wearing such things on your body, traveler? We know it is cold, but that is just the Will of the Prophets!") Or he can't find any clothing in his size, so he ends up wearing cartoonishly outsized giant pants with a rope drawn around his waist, plus a tiny hobbit-sized coat that leaves his midriff showing?

The concept is so intriguing on its own that I almost don't want to read the manga.

I was enough of a :sicko:* that i checked the mangadex comments, evidently the hero eventually does get clothing!

But then gets enslaved and loses it again. Isekai...isekai never changes

*not enough of a sicko to read it. Also why isn’t that sicko comic an emote

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Elfface posted:

It's called yeshaha
:yeshaha:

Goddamn sickos buying emotes with bad tags, thanks

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i'm pretty sure i've read the first chapter of this several times, forgetting each time how it ends. for obvious reasons, i never continue to chapter 2.

drat a gimmick so bad it’s almost funny. It was going so well, a little weird but nothing really objectionable and then you hit the giant red flag page

An excellent example of a trash comic thanks

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Atrocity points have been added!

Like Konosuba, all of this is very similar to how PCs would act in a murderhobo dnd campaign

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I don't know why but every Korean manga-like thing I've read has been far more sadistic than their Japanese equivalent. Like maybe I've gotten screwed by luck of the draw or something but I've gotten that impression.

I think because manga has to get published in print and have pretty broad appeal/good art/certain content restrictions/deadlines/etc. to be successful, it causes tamer content.

Manwha is mostly webcomics and they have a lot less pressure that way, so there’s more freedom to do whatever they want

Aside from that, cultural differences or whatever I don’t know. Although I’ve seen memes about korean live-action drama TV also being very crazy compared to american/japanese media so that might be the case

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

KittyEmpress posted:

I felt like it had potential since the MC got called out continually, but multiple people have spoiled that the novel only gets worse and after he fails 3 times everyone bows down and all the instructors admit he is the smartest and strongest and the true hero they were looking for the whole time, and the ultimate goal was always to have someone like him be born and succeed because he deserves to win for being able to look past what seems to be the moral option and actually do the horrible things that help the most people

Yeah that’s pretty boring/gross. There is some potential in the ideas but it just doesnt do anything interesting with them. I’m a Spider, So What?! says and does way more interesting things with the murder makes you strong, view everyone as experience psychopathy, wait isnt this world set up to be violent, why is that? (vague LN spoilers) plot point. It would be more interesting if the god of ethics was way more hands on and brutally resetting him again and again in a groundhog day-like fashion till he figures out the exact line of being a bastard but still “ethical”. That could have some interesting things to say about how moral actions can still be cruel, or something?

It would still suck but it would be more interesting than the straight up psychopathy libertarian power fantasy of buying slaves with extorted money and murdering them for power. Like how is there a God of Ethics and she doesn’t just immediately fail him for that. It reminds me of some other trash isekai where the healing hero was reincarnated and got revenge on all his former comrades, but at least in that one his former comrades were actually evil instead of just making him do chores.

E: just realised Harvester is an isekai/trapped in a virtual reality story and basically this story according to those spoilers

Fellis fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Apr 24, 2020

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Cross-posting this here cause it’s kinda isekai

Fellis posted:

Yuri Roadside Picnic has been updating again recently:

https://mangadex.org/title/29407/urasekai-picnic

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

drat, that is a crazy move. Actually makes me more interested in the series. Does it get a new isekai protag, or it's just a fantasy story at that point with some ripples in the pond from a reincarnated person

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Clarste posted:

I'm guessing entirely from context and people being vaguely coy in this thread that she just fakes her death and takes over under a new name.

oh that sounds right now that I look back. Even so, more interesting than a typical isekai

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

whaaaaaa well that loving sucks. That comic wasn't just good for the story and setting, the art was interesting as well

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Nitrousoxide posted:

Who is ADTRW's favorite war criminal?

Char Aznable

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Dungeon Nursery (completed) has the MC doing very powerful supporting: supporting a family

https://mangadex.org/title/23004/dungeon-nursery

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Brought To You By posted:

Think of a movie, now use that movie as the basis for a 'Summoned to a fantasy world' protagonist. I guarantee your first choice won't cover what I think is going to be a mediocre but still entertaining new isekai.

Do you have your choice locked in? Well Here you go

If your answer was either Sharknado or Sharktapus you win. Your prize is this manga and the low quality watermarked scans that feel oddly appropriate

I was trying to think of the dumbest thing so I first thought Free Willy, then settled on Air Bud as my guess. Not too far off! Good to know thinking of the dumbest joke is still the easiest way to predict bad anime plots

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

dipwood posted:

MUSHOKU TENSEI: ISEKAI ITTARA HONKI DASU is the most wholesome Isekai show I have ever seen. Honestly relieved that nothing bad is happening.

it gets much less wholesome. i stopped reading the manga cause it got so goddamn bad (and worse of all, boring) and i have horrible tolerance for poo poo isekai manga

I can spoil if you want, but the comic was good and fine* until a certain part then it just backflipped into poo poo garbage and somehow got worse from there

e: *as far as I remember, I never re-read it.

Fellis fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jan 25, 2021

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

doomrider7 posted:

Brah don't leave us hanging on details about trashiness. What happens later on in it?

aside from general horniness, from memory in no particular order:

He sleeps with his childhood friend, she leaves him, and then he has severe ED for some reason??? and they never stop loving making a big deal about it
The worst strike against it, he goes into a magic high school and the pace grinds to a loving halt for school shenanigans and god drat its so boring
While at school he humiliates two catgirls and forces them to be his pets via blackmail, later they go into animal heat and he has to literally fight people off who want to gently caress them
He makes an ally of a noble who is an awful otaku caricature by carving anime figurines for him
He obsesses over this guy who is actually his childhood girlfriend in disguise but they are both too cowardly to make a move (also loving boring)

I mostly stopped reading it because it became glacially slow and uninteresting, which is usually how these go cause the author has one interesting idea, gets popular, then spins their wheels. I'm actually interested in re-reading it now because I remember it being pretty good at the beginning.

e: it might just be that I started reading it whenever it had like 40 some chapters out/not caught up with the releases. But now that we're current, it's a monthly series and like nothing has happened the last 1.5 years of releases and it's just bleh. The wikipedia summary of the plot covers the last 18 chapters in one sentence lol

Fellis fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jan 26, 2021

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

That is extremely good, but this thread is mostly for the trash the other thread doesn’t want to see

But i suppose wholesome isekais also fall under “any” isekai

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Onean posted:

Oh, for sure, but a palate cleanser every now and then let's you truly savor the garbage, right?

I’ve always told my friends you need to drink a lot of bad wine to appreciate the good ones

This thread in the analogy:

(Yes you are correct)

E:this snipe lol

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

When they bought food and drink at the Prancing Pony in Bree, they never explained how the cost of the meal gave Frodo insight how their currency related to the Japanese yen, and I really think that would have engaged me in the story more

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

hell of a comic to bring this thread back with, well done

e: since we are back, there are two RTS isekais that both feature the MC coming back as the leader of an evil faction, both are updating again

Her Majesty's Swarm: https://mangadex.org/title/559be949-4475-4f06-b8bf-a1a7343489bc/her-majesty-s-swarm
Where the MC is basically isekai'd as Kerrigan and leads a zerg-like race, is losing sanity being connected to the hivemind and slaughtering everyone

Isekai Apocalypse: https://mangadex.org/title/6e156d65...isation-of-ruin
The MC is isekai'd as the leader of an evil civilization with good hero units and does diplomacy (and murders)

Fellis fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Nov 9, 2021

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

I think Isekai Apocalypse is much better, i especially like the chapter with the holy knights vs the hero unit, was definitely a bit of tone shift over what is going on.

Her Majesty’s Swarm is just goofy and dumb, everyone she’s slaughtered has been shitheads so I’m fine with it for now but we’ll see. At least it isn’t wordy so it’s easy to follow.

There was another one I was reading which was the perfect one for this thread, just a decent isekai for a dozen chapters. The MC uses his past knowledge of the game to powerlevel and get broken skills. Then a dozen chapters in or so, out of nowhere immediately bends over backwards to justify slavery and MC buying a slave, just to introduce another party member cause it wasn’t mentioned again.

https://mangadex.org/title/4754fc66-6bcb-4cc3-98ec-10f585cc55f3/moto-sekai-ichi-i-subchara-ikusei-nikki-hai-player-isekai-wo-kouryakuchuu

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

This isn’t the bad isekai thread, it’s the any isekai thread. If you go “this isekai is wholesome, but…” just post it here and not there.

Like the one where they guy lives in the plains and builds a community of outcasts and animal people is good, but he marries a much younger woman. He has completely acknowledged her age (i dont recall if she’s under 18 or just younger, whatever it sucks) and has no intention of doing anything with her. But that’s enough to disqualify it from the other thread even though otherwise its very nice.

Now most non-wholesome isekai are loving garbage so yeah in that regard this is the bad thread. But I’d also put excessive gore, MC doing questionable murders, and horny in this category. Slime manga recently did a mass-murder and people didn’t seem ripped up about that, but I think that’s not wholesome. I’d also put Moonlit Fantasy and Eminence in Shadows here and I think those are pretty good.

E: I like that thread also btw. I think it should be really confined to the villianess/otome isekai and slow-life isekai that usually keep it under control, there are enough of those.

Fellis fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Nov 16, 2021

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Nemo2342 posted:

Personally my bar for wholesome is pretty low, which is probably due to how dire this genre can be at times. All I want is no misogyny, no buying/keeping slaves by the MC, and the horny to be kept between consenting adults.

I agree! I like reading these dumb power fantasies and I have no taste, so I’d like this thread to be more alive with more posting about the stuff the other thread doesn’t want. Plus the arguments about where the line is are extremely tedious, which is why I agree with it being more strict and two threads.

I’ve recently been diving into web novels for silly power fantasy stuff since a lot of scanlations didn’t resume after mangadex finally came back.
https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/36983/tower-of-somnus
Tower of Somnus is a pretty silly one where the MC is a highschool courier in a cyberpunk dystopia and then gets access to an extra-terrestrial fantasy MMO you play while you sleep and you can also use your magic in the real world. It’s so dumb and the MC starts their bodycount in the first chapter. It’s been dumb fun but the author’s axe to grind with various political things gets kinda tedious in book 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Another piece of my lost follows list recovered, thanks! I had a good dozen chapters to catch up on for that one!