Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Your favorite isekai thought crime
slavery
war crimes
boobs
protags that correctly remember and know how to recreate complex technologies
View Results

this allusion meant
Apr 9, 2006

Fellis posted:

Latest chapter of the wife guy isekai: “Gosh what’s up with all this harem bullshit, I just want to see MY WIFE”

https://mangadex.org/title/fac7bdc7-c1f3-4595-82f5-b5bfb002b933/risou-no-himo-seikatsu
so since i got a j-novel sub a while back to read bookworm prepubs i started reading the risou/sponger ln prepubs as well and in the past months they've finally gotten ahead of the manga by a substantial distance, if anyone is interested in that. like for a long time the manga was actually ahead (at least in terms of english language stuff available) but as of right now the prepubs are in the middle of the volume after the one that manga chapter is near the beginning of. it's surprisingly good, we're getting to the part where it's coming into its own as an isekai: the worldbuilding is signaling upcoming chaos that none of the characters grasp as deeply as an attentive reader, the modern ways of thinking about changes in production and technology are getting past what the mc can explain to anyone about the consequences of their actions, and someone has put such a good deal on the table that freya has been persuaded to reveal the secret to a rival that all you really have to do to marry zenjirou is convince aura that you're part of a good deal for the country

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

this allusion meant
Apr 9, 2006
i was reading the level 99/hidden boss but not the demon lord manga for a bit but didn’t really get what the hook was supposed to be, and was wondering if something was being lost in scanlation. but now that it’s available as light novel prepubs on jnovel i get it. she’s an oblivious girl who’s good at sports (mind-bogglingly bad at figuring out other people, too statted out for the normal pass result on all skill checks). it’s not gripping storywise or anything but at least the humor is comprehensible and it seems to be going somewhere at a tolerable pace

e: to clarify the material facts of what happens are comprehensible in the manga they just don’t seem to land as humor? whereas the light novel seems to make it work. may be an issue on my end

this allusion meant fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Apr 21, 2023

this allusion meant
Apr 9, 2006

GateOfD posted:

Not an isekai I think, but liked the other Realist one where he just wants to sell his kingdom, but keeps making it so that his nation keeps getting stronger instead of to the point he can just surrender and give it away

genius prince has a lot of fun parts but there’s fit and finish issues. the plots are good when they make sense but about half of them rely on some pivotal aspect just conveniently working out. there’s an inherent tension in these sorts of strategy level stories in that you want to believe that like kingdom level investments over time are doing something so you can take the wider considerations of the protagonists seriously, but also it’s a light novel and you are going to draw the main girl in a state of partial undress in the illustrations because personal level wish fulfillment is important to have too apparently. anyway as the story goes on he travels further abroad and so the schemes become increasingly more of diplomatic-espionage type intrigue that i find a bit boring, except for some bits where they lead someone else’s armies. but they should circle back around. it’s a circular continent after all

the other light novels i like in this sort of fantasy young military officer subcategory is the sword princess altina series, which may or may not ever resume. there’s very little magic (technically none but i’m choosing to interpret the superhuman abilities of various characters as magic rather than another thing) and it’s i guess supposed to be like early 18th century france or something; the schemes get contrived and contingent but they are of a strictly combat operations centered nature and that’s fun

the other series that comes to mind is alderamin, which has magic. it also raises another category of distinction within this genre: the protagonist fucks; the protagonist of genius prince knows about loving but is not directly interested; the male protagonist of altina fears intimacy and kinda women in general

this allusion meant
Apr 9, 2006

PringleCreamEgg posted:

Jobless Reincarnation:
Rudeus is a bad person, he has gotten less despicable as the series has gone on but dude has a long way to go.

honestly the series would be kinda middle of the road as far as gross pervert stuff in reincarnation isekai stories if it didn't try to dress it up as having something to do with a conscious path to becoming something categorically different from what he was, and just portrayed his occasional steps forward as the logical price of admission for having any kind of life. people could even choose to take the lesson from that on their own! it's the insistence that there's a centrality of redemption to the whole story that makes it absurdly despicable that no one is actually trying particularly hard to do that

this allusion meant
Apr 9, 2006

Indiana_Krom posted:

Also worth noting with J-Novel Club that the actual price requires some math once you get into it: The annual premium subscription is $120 + tax/year. But during that 12 month billing cycle they credit you 699 coins automatically each month ($1 USD = 100 coins). So its $120+tax less $83.88 in coins they give you over 12 months = $36.12 annual or about $3.01/mo which is also about the same price as a Shounen Jump subscription. Or another way to look at it; since they price light novels at 699 coins a book, you basically get one book a month with your subscription which means each book costs $3.01 and a lot of patience.

And premium members of course get the 15% discount on coins, so you can buy 1000 coins which is regularly $10 for a non-premium member for $8.50 instead if you don't have the patience to min/max the subscription.

yeah if you intend to purchase twelve or more light novel volumes a year, the monthly coins and coin discount makes it so premium sub makes a lot of sense, otherwise it kinda doesn't. personally i like buying volumes of stuff that i already read in pre-pub and loading copies onto my computer, phone, tablet, etc., and that's easy to do with the files they give you. also i just like paying for volumes after confirming i like them, especially since a few of these series i originally got caught up on through uh other means, and feel like i owe the author a fair bit of money, which i return whenever i have spare monthly coins, and that means i get value for premium (assuming they are correctly paying the author and publishing staff per sale, which is what i'm doing this for). however i don't think i feel the same inclinations to pay for digital manga; that i prefer to either get on paper or else only when freely available. so jnc licensing a bunch of that's whatever, i guess

CommieGIR posted:

So I recently ran into a Chinese made Isekai that is actually pretty good, its a little long winded and done in longform, but its enjoyable:
Release That Witch
https://mangadex.org/title/aafb046c-9de4-4c3d-990c-6d75b079c0b9/release-that-witch

a friend made the observation that it's actually a cultivation novel but with dengism instead of syncretic dao/martial arts mysticism, which is a funnier way to read it. anyway i liked it as a web novel despite the poor translation but i can never get into these digital asset comics, they look too cheaply-made

this allusion meant fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Aug 30, 2023

this allusion meant
Apr 9, 2006

Argue posted:

I don't know how far that adaptation gets but I stopped reading the WN when he invents the secret police. There was also this other terrible bit where noncombat witches are discriminated against by combat witches, and he tells them, to their skepticism, that even noncombat witches can hold their own against combat witches. I was interested in this because I thought it would involve showing them how they can use their weird powers creatively but it turned out his solution was to give them guns.

a whole major concept of the story is that there’s no point in prioritizing combat magic over industrial uses because with firearms and a motivated manpower pool the ability to hack production functions is more broken on the battlefield than anything any fighter can accomplish. it was lazy writing to demonstrate it in such a direct way, but that is in fact the basic underlying gimmick of the story and what sets it apart from similar work (the vast majority of witches come in expecting to prove they can fight, and end up getting jobs in labs or factories)

my main criticism of the work (aside from the terribly unsatisfying ending, which seems to have been intended all along) is that they (roland and the core leadership) don’t bother to straightforwardly explain their state legitimation doctrine, to a degree that is totally illogical in the light of the expensive and difficult public relations efforts they do make. like, there’s a defined government structure, and a clear origin story for how existing organizations with previously existing self-justifications folded themselves into roland’s government and changed their names, but they don’t really talk about it for some reason. the state propaganda is all about trivial stuff like how nice the city is. the low wall with the hole in it is still there, but they don’t bother to make it into a monument to the cooperation between the witches and the army, which could easily symbolize the simple explanation for why all the various witches they encounter should agree to work for this state (it has an undefeated pro-witch army with its origins in a period of mutual vulnerability and cooperation with witches). a previously independent witch organization became a pillar of the new state because they judged that it could meet the criteria of their previous ideological aims, of finding a holy mountain and establishing a safe haven for witches (serendipitously, the wording matches a core criterion for the older witches’ state remnants to recognize an independent state). the administrative state evolves out of the city government and is tasked with using the enhanced productivity of witch-assisted industry to raise the standard of living and encourage recruitment for manpower needs. simple, but compelling, assuming their interlocutors have concrete strategic interests and are less frivolous than roland in their adherence to stated justifications. instead they go about making a bunch of pointless bets and faked demonstrations and bribes and shows of force and fabricated stories whenever they need to bring new people on board. absolutely bizarre behavior. but in that respect, also somewhat in line with certain behaviors of the people’s government lol

this allusion meant
Apr 9, 2006

Captain Invictus posted:

I was just about to post that, it's quickly become my favorite new series. the art is also gorgeous, and I like the concept; he's not some reincarnator with a broken skill, he's just a medical professional in a world where healing magic is brutally and rigorously restricted by the people who can use it.

also, I won't say no to yakuza dragons

edit: okay, actually starting to read this glut of new chapters, and I am reading the mom dragon in a scottish accent and it's great

I loving love the designs in this manga. I can already tell this dude rules

there's the little things, like he's clearly holding a mug for an elf, but he's a dwarf so he's got giant meat mitts, so he's holding it with two fingers
oh, they put some effort into making the dialects distinctively incomprehensible, i like it

this allusion meant
Apr 9, 2006
some interesting worldbuilding in the latest Modern Villainess. probably one of the best indirect portraits of the original character replaced by isekai i’ve seen
https://mangadex.org/title/64c59add-698a-4260-8671-848356f26eab/modern-villainess-it-s-not-easy-building-a-corporate-empire-before-the-crash

sounds like the story is getting out of its initial setup and into the proper academy setting of the game soon

this allusion meant
Apr 9, 2006
the elon musk isekai concept i have is that he knows he’s been reincarnated into a character with the lowtax flags and is trying to avoid it by doing the standard villainess table turning stuff, but he was simply too bad at understanding the game in his original life to actually be able to work the mechanics. moreover, he is aware of that, but constantly misreads his interpersonal level failings as errors of that form (misunderstanding game mechanics) instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

this allusion meant
Apr 9, 2006

Mordecai posted:

Modern Villainess was an interesting read, but the concept bothered me somewhat. The action is all about using foreknowledge to acquire financial influence and avert disaster, but the story makes it very clear that she reincarnated in a post-WW2 alt history. Japan wasn't nuked, the pre-war aristocracy and zaibatsu remained in place, but financial institutions from your home world are not only somehow there, but still have events predictable down to the week?

Predicting technology and investment opportunities in foreign markets are one thing; I like that Japan isn't the center of the world for no reason. But a change of that magnitude 50 years ago isn't going to be a tiny butterfly effect.

Or did I or the translation miss something? It seems like it being isekai creates a gaping plot hole that's just ignored. On the other hand, if it wasn't, she'd also have foreknowledge about her personal future (instead of only finance) which is what seems to be coming up in the second arc. You'd have to do a partial amnesia regression, I guess? I don't think I've read one of those.

The alt history politics start getting a bit interesting in the second arc, even though I kept reading for the Japanese financial minutiae. Maybe the plot hole is actually good if it makes the story interesting? Like how sometimes it just casually goes my funds were getting low, but oh look, my tech investments paid dividends of several billion dollars again which, yeah ok, seems odd at first, but constantly updating her ledger would actually kill the pacing. Well now I'm rambling and don't even know what I want from this anymore; I'm going to bed.

tl;dr: two differently themed manga conjoined in a teleporter accident and it's certainly interesting. And has a lot of very bright white background. Don't read it at 1 AM like I did.
my understanding is that she is in a fantasy game that takes place in an alternate timeline and that the financial collapse based on the irl japanese bubble crash was written into the lore of that game to appeal to its audience of OLs being worked to death. whether the game writers did it well or not seems to not be the point; they intended for it to echo irl japan and the reincarnation setting causes the details to fill in