Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

:siren:NO SPOILERS.:siren:

Judgment, known in Japan as Judge Eyes: The Testament of the Shinigami, is an open world detective game spin-off of Sega's Yakuza series. The game stars Takuya Kimura, a famous Japanese actor and singer who has earned the title "The King of Ratings", as Takayuki Yagami, an ex-lawyer turned private detective at the Yagami Detective Agency who struggles to makes ends meet and throws himself into his work to distract himself from the guilt he carries from the fallout of his final case as a lawyer. He's joined by Masaharu Kaito, a former member of the Matsugane Family of the massive Yakuza organization, the Tojo Clan, who serves as Yagami's partner and closest friend as they investigate a series of gruesome murders where three Yakuza have been found dead in the streets with their eyes gouged out.

The game is set in the fictional city of Kamurocho, which is loosely based on the real-life Kabukicho district of Shinjuku, Tokyo. Despite being a spin-off of the long-running Yakuza franchise, this is really the only thing the two share; the story and characters of those games have no bearing on this one. It's kind of like watching two unrelated movies and recognizing that they were filmed in the same city. Judgment plays a lot like its predecessors, allowing you to explore the bustling city, enjoying meals at restaurants peppered all over town, play mini games as you see fit and defend yourself in bombastic fashion from thugs who just can't help but try to accost you at every turn; what's new are segments where you engage in detective work, ranging from tailing targets, to examining crime scenes for evidence. These segments can be hit or miss, but overall, they all make you feel like a badass detective solving cases in the seedier parts of a neon city.

This will be an informative LP where I show off the main story and as much content as I can manage. I'm joined by my usual co-commentator sworn brother partner in crime Jobbo_Fett. Let's try to keep things spoiler free; this game may be a spin off of the Yakuza series, but that's no reason to spoil any of those here since this game has hardly anything to do with those ones! I'll try to keep to a twice-a-week update schedule, but no promises.

Chapter 1 - Three Blind Mice

Chapter 2 - Beneath the Surface

Chapter 3 - The Stickup

Chapter 04 - Skeletons in the Closet

Chapter 05 - Days Gone By

Chapter 06 - Collusion

Chapter 07 - Limelight

Chapter 08 - A Broken Bond

Chapter 09 - The Miracle Drug

Chapter 10 - Chumming the Waters

Chapter 11 - Curtain Call

Chapter 12 - Behind Closed Doors

Final Chapter - Down Came the Rain

Premium Adventure

Bonus
Pinball Parlor
Star Citizen Free Fly - Please Give Me a Menu

Other Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio LPs we've done
Yakuza 0
Yakuza Kiwami

ChaosArgate fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Aug 11, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Reserved

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
He's Shinjuku's James Dean :swoon:

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Currently playing this game. Enjoying it too. I am always interested in other perspectives when communicated with quality, so I will be following this LP. Good luck. :)

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Having recently looked up the whole government/legal pin emblem/badges Japan has going on, I really loved that dude's face when he saw the pin.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It feels really weird to see Yakuza dubbed again.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Hang on, when he took off his disguise after fighting those thugs, he managed to shave himself clean in three seconds as well?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Samovar posted:

Hang on, when he took off his disguise after fighting those thugs, he managed to shave himself clean in three seconds as well?

no

it was two seconds

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

It was a stick-on Velcro beard. Only logical explanation.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I'm fairly confident Yagami willed his hair back inside of his face

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
It was one of those hyper-realistic Mission Impossible masks.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Hey we're doing Yakuza 0 starting today too! I admittedly wasn't planning on simul-LPing two massive games but Judgment won me over enough that I really wanted to show it off sooner so here we are.

Samovar posted:

Its like how most characters in the main franchise can rip off a suit jacket and dress shirt in one clean motion, except its shaving.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Every update going to be “the case of”? Good theme if so, just curious.

I love Saori. Kaito too. And Hamura is yet another great character. This game has a lot.

Fighting in convenience and other stores is fun. I like how they’ve included some realism in that the clerks won’t serve you for a while if you wreck the place too much. (Naturally there’s a cheap Perk to prevent this you can buy.)

The cops showing up at fights mechanic is totally broken, though. I tried to intentionally trigger it last night for completion and curiosity- they took almost seven minutes, including a minute of siren warning, during which I could have easily flattened my opponents. Maybe they show up faster at higher difficulty levels. And when they did arrive they arrest the thugs immediately and don’t even chase you if you run. If you stand still they grab you- fail a QuickTime event and you’ll be fined ¥10000 before they let you back on the street. So yeah, it’s not as bad as the game makes it sound.

achtungnight fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jul 26, 2019

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

achtungnight posted:

Every update going to be “the case of”? Good theme if so, just curious.

I love Saori. Kaito too. And Hamura is yet another great character. This game has a lot.

Fighting in convenience and other stores is fun. I like how they’ve included some realism in that the clerks won’t serve you for a while if you wreck the place too much. (Naturally there’s a cheap Perk to prevent this you can buy.)

The cops showing up at fights mechanic is totally broken, though. I tried to intentionally trigger it last night for completion and curiosity- they took almost seven minutes, including a minute of siren warning, during which I could have easily flattened my opponents. Maybe they show up faster at higher difficulty levels. And when they did arrive they arrest the thugs immediately and don’t even chase you if you run. If you stand still they grab you- fail a QuickTime event and you’ll be fined ¥10000 before they let you back on the street. So yeah, it’s not as bad as the game makes it sound.

I’m gonna try my damndest to keep to this episode naming scheme! Its so on-point that I feel like I’d be doing a major disservice not doing it!

I can see why the cop mechanic is so lenient, but yeah that does sound kind of half baked.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

These protagonists just keep getting stronger and stronger. We're already at the point where the guy has infinite stamina despite smoking.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

this game is incredible, I hope you have fun making this LP

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
You ask random people on the street about a Yakuza, but finding a host who was punched in the face is too much?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Put me down as another front pocket wallet carrier. I’ve seen a lot of guys use their back pocket though. My dad once told me if you put it there it’s easier for pickpockets to grab. Speaking of which- be aware that sometimes thugs will grab you in fights in this game and if you don’t shake them off with a quick button press, they can steal your money. Beat them down to get it back. The one time I let them succeed they didn’t run, so that’s another half baked thing.

Lots of hints at things to come in this video. The only one I’ll comment on is the Borderline Alcoholic Perk. If you don’t already know, it’s necessary for a couple late game side quests. You want to go into those completely sober too.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I always have my wallet in my inner pocket. Easier to keep track of.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
Stupid men with your stupid pockets... I keep mine in my bag because that's my only option past the age of 12. :j:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I keep my wallet in my stomach so the government can't steal from me

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Front pocket. Don't want to sit on my money.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

White Coke posted:

Front pocket. Don't want to sit on my money.

Yeah, apparently the back is traditional but I have no idea why. Just seems uncomfortable to me. And more vulnerable to pickpockets, as was said above. (Though I'd bet people have learned to get front pocket wallets too.)

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Thesaya posted:

Stupid men with your stupid pockets... I keep mine in my bag because that's my only option past the age of 12. :j:
Yeah, I always tell my wife that you ladies got the short end of the stick when it comes to clothing with the proper amount of pockets.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Sylphosaurus posted:

Yeah, I always tell my wife that you ladies got the short end of the stick when it comes to clothing with the proper amount of pockets.

My girlfriend always gets so excited when she finds clothes she likes that have actual pockets. It really sucks that she can't just buy a pair of pants and expect pockets!

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Huh, we've got Social Links.

I always thought the Dragon Engine would work really well for a Persona game.

Or maybe a Raidou Kuzunoha game.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Yagami didn’t get disbarred. He just stopped practicing law because he felt he could no longer trust himself in that career after what happened with Okubo. He still maintains his lawyer credentials, apparently. Otherwise he wouldn’t wave them at random people like the Horseplayer Detective.

The friend system in this game seems simple at first, and is mostly. Some friends, though, require serious mini game skills to acquire. Others can’t be completed until later chapters from their introductions. We’ll see these as the game goes on.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Shei-kun posted:

Having recently looked up the whole government/legal pin emblem/badges Japan has going on, I really loved that dude's face when he saw the pin.

Do you think anyone's ever attempted to pass themselves off as a government employee that way, but instead used a pokemon gym badge?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Carlosologist posted:

this game is incredible, I hope you have fun making this LP

I will never not have fun doing LPs with Chaos.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Just realized, at the start of the Drunken Fist EX move, Yagami sings "The more I drink, the stronger I become..." ROFL!

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

achtungnight posted:

Yagami didn’t get disbarred. He just stopped practicing law because he felt he could no longer trust himself in that career after what happened with Okubo. He still maintains his lawyer credentials, apparently. Otherwise he wouldn’t wave them at random people like the Horseplayer Detective.

You're right, I always kind of confuse myself, but it is a very important distinction.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Do you think anyone's ever attempted to pass themselves off as a government employee that way, but instead used a pokemon gym badge?

Man, I should've brought my Ace Attorney replica badge on my trip to Japan last year to see if anyone would notice. Then again, I am definitely not equipped to make an appearance in a Japanese courtroom. :v:

XainZero
Feb 16, 2011

Yagami is extremely Hobo Phoenix from Apollo Justice and it rules.

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
Enjoying the videos so far but what is up with that GPU acceleration thing that keeps popping up?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Judgement's fidelity is too high!

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

cokerpilot posted:

Enjoying the videos so far but what is up with that GPU acceleration thing that keeps popping up?

Wait, poo poo, is it happening in episode 5?? Adobe stopped rendering one of my video transitions and I’m not sure what happened.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm such a dork, it's kinda weird hearing everyone in English since I swapped back to Japanese despite not understanding a word of it. :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

ChaosArgate posted:

Wait, poo poo, is it happening in episode 5?? Adobe stopped rendering one of my video transitions and I’m not sure what happened.

It is. And it's also in episode 3 at 19:33, seems to pop up before every jumpcut. And episode 4 starts off with two minutes of potato quality and also has the gpu acceleration message before jumpcuts.

Other than that, really enjoying these videos, too!