Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
I was very disturbed by Yagami and Nanami's relationship. I get it was supposed to appeal to fans of soap opera and tsundere, but I just don't think it would last very long or be very healthy in real life.

There are better girls for Yagami in the game too. I'm sure we'll see them soon.

Also, Jungle Boy has a street sign. Put it down as the Kamurocho club in the game I really wish you could go inside, just cause I like the name.

achtungnight fucked around with this message at 19:49 on May 15, 2020

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
Gods the romance in this makes me uncomfortable. Like, dating different people, sure, but he is actually swearing undying love to every one of them more or less. Not really showing Yagami off as a good person.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

If we ever get a sequel, I really hope they reconsider what they'd do with a dating system because the current implementation is very... questionable.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Once you befriend Madoka and can hang out in Apple Pie’s back room, you can get access to a special Ultra Hard Mah Jong Parlor in the same building (locked door). The room is also mandatory for a future side case. Yeah, I don’t know if it’s worthwhile either. :shrug:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

achtungnight posted:

Once you befriend Madoka and can hang out in Apple Pie’s back room, you can get access to a special Ultra Hard Mah Jong Parlor in the same building (locked door). The room is also mandatory for a future side case. Yeah, I don’t know if it’s worthwhile either. :shrug:

I only just realized what side case you're talking about and I guess you're not wrong. It makes a lot more sense in the context of that case though, I'll give it that.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Finally got the chance to watch this video. Been playing the poo poo out of an awesome game called Horizon Zero Dawn...

Some of the developments in this update are logical given other story events. Some- like Kido's weakness- feel a bit out of left field. Probably because they got zero foreshadowing. Yagami is impressive in some of his deductions, Kaito too, but they don't have eyes on everything. I guess this part of the game further establishes that. And we have no other obvious plot paths to get evidence.

At least dressing up Saori and watching her work is fun.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
If you make the wrong choices in the dialogue tree, Kido starts howling at Saori and looks like a wolf from Looney Tunes. It’s almost worth seeing, it’s so funny. But then of course your trophy is denied. :(

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I said earlier there would be another challenging tailing mission. This video contains it. After getting bored with such missions all game, they actually put some thought and effort into one!

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Y'know, the level of corruption and disregard for life in the game from the authorities is hitting rather hard given current events. And there's literally no way this could have been planned. Just.

Holy poo poo the timing of this update.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Shei-kun posted:

Y'know, the level of corruption and disregard for life in the game from the authorities is hitting rather hard given current events. And there's literally no way this could have been planned. Just.

Holy poo poo the timing of this update.

Man, and here I thought the only 2019 game that would be culturally relevant this year was gonna be Death Stranding!

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Morita's determination to back AD-9 is interesting, especially given the current economic situation most of the world has gone through with COVID-19. I would love to have a vaccine for that right now, so we can bring back concerts, movie theaters with new releases, and so on. At the same time, Yagami's right, pushing through a wonder drug does not excuse murder to ensure its success. Especially with the fact that it would not happen quickly no matter what, and with said success unclear. Has any human taken AD-9 and had their Alzheimer's cured at this point? Has any even survived? Is every test subject- Wakku, the Kyorei Clan who were experimented on, possibly others we don't know about- dead? What makes Shono so sure he can turn things around? There have been plenty of "medical miracle drugs" that have never worked out the way their creators hoped. Is this brand of snake oil really that important? Why do Ichinose and Morita have so much staked on it they're willing to back Shono? Is the success of their personal projects/crusades- the ADDC and curing Alzheimer's- that important? I guess so, to them at least. Which is why they have to be stopped.

Nice to see a call back to the case that started the game.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
I appreciate that all those blatantly abusing power and breaking all sorts of laws (and morals, and ethics, and more!) in the game have their own excuses for it. None of them are good reasons for lying, murdering, and framing others for it, but they aren't all just about money. It's nice to see other vices take over. We've even got someone who just likes to hurt people.

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011
Ichinose, Morita and Shono have the chance to save the world, and all they have to do is sacrifice a nurse, a janitor and a few gangsters? I'm sure that sounds like a bargain to them.

All that wealth, all that power, all that glory, in exchange for a few little lives? Lives that were never going to accomplish anything as important as AD-9?

The villain is always the hero in his own story.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Jobbo mentioned in the video that it might have helped if Kaito & Higashi recorded Kuroiwa beating the heck out of them and exposed that to the authorities. I think this would have done more harm than good. First of all, the chief prosecutor is in Ichinose's pocket and would have probably kept such an issue out of court. Second, kidnapping Kido as our heroes did and trying to force a confession out of him through humiliation is a morally gray area that a lot of good legal officers would probably oppose on general principle. Yeah, it raises the issue of why Kuroiwa didn't arrest them and possible police brutality (Kuroiwa rates pretty high on that), but this would probably not help our heroes' case in the long run. Third, Kaito & Higashi are yakuza tough guys- they wouldn't want to address such an issue in the court of law or public opinion. Either they or oen of their friends (such as Yagami) will have to settle things with Kuroiwa in a rematch fight. That's how things work in their world.

Nice to see Kondo stepping up as a tough guy after being a background character most of the game. He makes a challenging boss too, especially paired with recurring threat Ozaki and the other Matsugane goons.

There's still quite a lot of side material for your LP to address, Chaos, and your main quest is close to the end. I'll be interested to see how you handle the remaining content.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

achtungnight posted:

Jobbo mentioned in the video that it might have helped if Kaito & Higashi recorded Kuroiwa beating the heck out of them and exposed that to the authorities. I think this would have done more harm than good. First of all, the chief prosecutor is in Ichinose's pocket and would have probably kept such an issue out of court. Second, kidnapping Kido as our heroes did and trying to force a confession out of him through humiliation is a morally gray area that a lot of good legal officers would probably oppose on general principle. Yeah, it raises the issue of why Kuroiwa didn't arrest them and possible police brutality (Kuroiwa rates pretty high on that), but this would probably not help our heroes' case in the long run. Third, Kaito & Higashi are yakuza tough guys- they wouldn't want to address such an issue in the court of law or public opinion. Either they or oen of their friends (such as Yagami) will have to settle things with Kuroiwa in a rematch fight. That's how things work in their world.

Nice to see Kondo stepping up as a tough guy after being a background character most of the game. He makes a challenging boss too, especially paired with recurring threat Ozaki and the other Matsugane goons.

There's still quite a lot of side material for your LP to address, Chaos, and your main quest is close to the end. I'll be interested to see how you handle the remaining content.

Oh I'm doing whatever's left after the credits. I got really lost in plot while recording the last handful of episodes so I just said "screw it" and mainlined the story. :v:

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
That works for me. I will be watching as you post the content. :)

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
Okay is this another in game cliffhanger or are you too starting to get addicted to cliffhangers.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
It’s an in-game cliffhanger. The game doesn’t reveal the identity of the mystery man for quite some time. I personally thought it would be someone other than who it eventually turns out to be.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

That’s where the scene ends! If this weren’t the finale chapter, I think the chapter would end here too!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
DON'T TRUST HIM!

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
He must of half suspected that the betrayal was coming. Even for someone who is trained the ease of his instant reaction of pulling the gun and already aiming for kill shots he turns to check out the running noise was uncanny.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Oh man I'm watching this and it's just :psyduck: how much leeway Yagami's getting. Sure, we as the audience know he's in the right but if this were the American justice system (:rolleyes:) he could either get slapped down with an objection or a mistrial for the prosecution colluding with him. Obviously Yagami has no fear of an objection, because again the prosecution's colluding with him. I'd guess Japan has something on the books about ineffective counsel or whatever. If Ichinose had thought about it he might have been able to shut things down here.

All that said, I appreciate that this isn't the extent of the scheme. As we saw later Yagami's plan was instead to be so aggressive that Ichinose and his cronies slipped up in the process of covering their butts. It's a Gish Gallop but used for the sake of justice.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I know the one month time skip that starts this video is good for realism and trial schedule but as fast paced as the game has been it seems out of place. Better to keep it vague how much time passed the way Law & Order usually does. It feels like “a month went by, nothing significant happened and no, you didn’t get the chance to do any more side content. Kuroiwa didn’t come after you either even though he’s totally the kind of guy who would."

achtungnight fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Jun 17, 2020

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
The big cop miniboss is Kuroiwa’s partner in several cutscenes throughout the game. He doesn’t have any lines I remember but he does glare menacingly at Yagami a few times. Once I learned Kuroiwa was the mole I knew we’d be fighting his partner eventually... probably. 30 other cops who got duped by Kuroiwa- now that was not expected. :)

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

That stun baton didn't do the mortal damage, you just got shot at the same time.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Geemer posted:

That stun baton didn't do the mortal damage, you just got shot at the same time.

:argh:

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Wow, I'm not sure what I was expecting for the ending, but it sure wasn't that.

The game still seemed pretty fun, outside of the low points you already addressed while the credits were rolling.

The reason for the eyes being gouged out felt super out of the left field. I'm sure it'd have landed way better if at some point halfway through the game you found an eye like that and were left to wonder wtf is up with that.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
I would like to point out that Chaos edited his audio and it legit sounded like a motorcycle had started up during the cutscenes.

I am sad at this shameless editing to preserve the seriousness of this LP

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Decent ending. I think Shono was being a bit overly dramatic to avoid prison at the end, though. He must have really been feeling some guilt over Emi. Kuroiwa made a great final boss- the adrenaline shot was a surprise first for the series and he almost got me first fight as a result. And the cat situation at the end was just funny.

Looking forward to the extra content still to come (I presume).

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011
I assumed that Kuroiwa's "we'll be heroes" dialogue came from him being cynical enough to believe that as long as AD-9 was successfully completed, the authorities would sweep all of the murders under the rug to avoid having to send the men who cured Alzheimer's to prison.

Based on how those in positions of authority have acted throughout this story, I can see why he would think that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Geemer posted:

Wow, I'm not sure what I was expecting for the ending, but it sure wasn't that.

The game still seemed pretty fun, outside of the low points you already addressed while the credits were rolling.

The reason for the eyes being gouged out felt super out of the left field. I'm sure it'd have landed way better if at some point halfway through the game you found an eye like that and were left to wonder wtf is up with that.

Pretty much this. Thanks for showing this off. The final boss was pretty sweet but that ending was kinda disappointing after the while game building up to it. "Yagami beat the bad guys, and everything was fine."