Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Geemer posted:

It is. And it's also in episode 3 at 19:33, seems to pop up before every jumpcut. And episode 4 starts off with two minutes of potato quality and also has the gpu acceleration message before jumpcuts.

Other than that, really enjoying these videos, too!

Son of a bitch, Adobe Media Encoder somehow swapped back to only using the software renderer. :argh:

Today's episode'll go up as planned, but I'll re-up 3-6 probably tomorrow hopefully with the transitions rendered out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
Yay! I'm helping.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Ended up having a really long night last night so I couldn't update. On the plus side though, this version shouldn't have the GPU Acceleration message!

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
This video features a few recurring features of the Yakuza series. “Catch a Dine-and-Dasher” missions for example have been around since at least Yakuza 3, when the chase mini game was first introduced. In the third act of Yakuza 4, you play as a somewhat corrupt cop and can actually catch these guys regularly and earn money for doing it. And no you don’t lose cop points for stumbling like in Sleeping Dogs.

The special friend EX/Heat Actions have been around since at least Yakuza 2. You fight near a shop, press the button at the right moment, and the friend tosses you something you then use to damage the enemy. I think it’s usually a bottle of hot sauce. The original Yakuza 2 had at least one guy who threw you a giant paper fan and another who tossed a live slimy octopus. Sadly I think they dropped those exotic Actions in the Kiwami remake and only the hot sauce Action remained.

Bonus menu items at restaurants have been a feature since the first Yakuza game. Interestingly enough in this game they’re often a large meal I don’t think I’d be able to eat all at once in real life. Probably restores a ton of Health in the game though.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

That broccoli(ni) recipe sounded real good, gonna have to get myself a mortar and pestle to try it out some time.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Geemer posted:

That broccoli(ni) recipe sounded real good, gonna have to get myself a mortar and pestle to try it out some time.

Its delicious. Use pine nits instead of sesame seeds if you want a taste more similar to peanut butter

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

https://twitter.com/TriggerRedd/status/1161052408664846336

I completely forgot to mention this a few days back; there's a demo out on PS4 now that covers the whole first chapter if anyone wants to try the game for themselves but isn't sure if they'd be into the gameplay!

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

Just to say that the Game and LP are great, keep up the good work :allears:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
You get a trophy or achievement when you try all the Landlady’s food. There are lists online if you want to look. The first three are those required for the Friendship and it’s random afterwards.

Amusingly enough, we never see Yagami pay his rent even when we have easy high levels of money later in the game.

achtungnight fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Aug 14, 2019

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010
Hey ChaosArgate, can I make a request? Would you mind holding notable discussions only outside of cutscenes? I watch the Cut videos, and this episode you were about to start talking about the fighting styles when a cutscene started and your audio cut out. So I missed that bit of commentary. That's why I wanted to ask if you would only talk about important mechanics when you're not in a cutscene.

achtungnight posted:

You get a trophy or achievement when you try all the Landlady’s food. There are lists online if you want to look. The first three are those required for the Friendship and it’s random afterwards.

Amusingly enough, we never see Yagami pay his rent even when we have easy high levels of money later in the game.

Money is the one place where the division between gameplay and cutscene is really felt in RGG games. When you beat up a hundred guys in combat, the cutscene that follows will have bodies all over the place and a guy yelling, "I can't believe he just beat up a hundred guys!" But if the story says that your guy is broke, then your guy is broke...even if the counter says he's got a million yen stuffed down his pants.

- OP said to keep things spoiler free please.
Crow

My bad, I've taken it out.

Viola the Mad fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Aug 17, 2019

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
I knew Chaos shouldn't have started a concurrent Yakuza 0 LP...

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Yo can we not talk about the ending to another game in this series? Especially if we have an active LP of said game running right now?

Edit:

quote:

Hey ChaosArgate, can I make a request? Would you mind holding notable discussions only outside of cutscenes? I watch the Cut videos, and this episode you were about to start talking about the fighting styles when a cutscene started and your audio cut out. So I missed that bit of commentary. That's why I wanted to ask if you would only talk about important mechanics when you're not in a cutscene.

Sure, I can try to do that going forward, but we're much further in recording than we have up now so I can't promise that this won't happen again in this LP. I'll try to rearrange the commentary to make sure it doesn't happen again if it does though!

ChaosArgate fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Aug 14, 2019

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Liking the LP.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Its delicious. Use pine nits instead of sesame seeds if you want a taste more similar to peanut butter

I tried that dish and it was definitely worth the price of entry and sacrifice of a plate because I managed to drop the mortar on it.
At least I missed the broccoli and sauce when I did and it didn't go flying everywhere. :downs:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Geemer posted:

I tried that dish and it was definitely worth the price of entry and sacrifice of a plate because I managed to drop the mortar on it.
At least I missed the broccoli and sauce when I did and it didn't go flying everywhere. :downs:

:rip:

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
God drat, that food is soo detailed...

Also, I really need to find a good ramen shop somewhere in Atlanta.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
The drone is actually able to fly all over the main game area in free roam. There’s a trophy for flying it 1 hour continuously. You won’t really have incentive to do that this early, though. The battery that thing must have...

This game has lots more awesomeness to come. :)

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010
oh god please post all of your recipes, watching these videos is making me salivate :yum:

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

If you want to learn how to make that last dish of the landlady's, Babish has you covered.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Viola the Mad posted:

oh god please post all of your recipes, watching these videos is making me salivate :yum:

Broccolini Gommae

1/2 pound of broccoli or broccolini
3 Tablespoons of sesame seeds (or equivalent amount of other seeds/nuts
1 Tablespoon of Soy Sauce
1 Tablespoon of Sugar

Prepare the broccoli(ni) by washing them and cutting off the ends.

1. Boil Broccoli(ni) for 5 mins, drain and dry (Add to cold water before drying to cool faster)
2. Roast seeds/nuts of choice until they start popping (1-2 mins)
3. Put seeds/nuts in mortar (grooved, if available) and grind to fine paste.
4. Add soy sauce and sugar and mix thoroughly
5. Drizzle on Broccoli(ni)

Can be served hot or cold.

Use more seeds/nuts if you have more broccoli.
Use equal parts soy sauce and sugar, if the above is true.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Telling the guy who calls you out you’re from a different company avoids the fight there. Sadly I don’t know of a way to dodge the roof encounter.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

No need to repair the air system if there's no-one conscious enough to report it.

:viggo:

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

achtungnight posted:

The special friend EX/Heat Actions have been around since at least Yakuza 2. You fight near a shop, press the button at the right moment, and the friend tosses you something you then use to damage the enemy. I think it’s usually a bottle of hot sauce. The original Yakuza 2 had at least one guy who threw you a giant paper fan and another who tossed a live slimy octopus. Sadly I think they dropped those exotic Actions in the Kiwami remake and only the hot sauce Action remained.

Added back in Kiwami 2! There's even one where Kiryu whips the guy with a crop and a dominatrix slams her heel into the guy's crotch!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Holnjmw4t8Y&t=385s

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I'd hate to be dating that guy. :D

Smile Burger is closest to Wendy's in my opinion, if you compare the menus.

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010
Even if Yagami hadn't butted in, wouldn't standing up multiple dates, much less scheduling them for the same time, be terrible business for a host? Seems like a sure-fire way to lose high-paying customers to me.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Viola the Mad posted:

Even if Yagami hadn't butted in, wouldn't standing up multiple dates, much less scheduling them for the same time, be terrible business for a host? Seems like a sure-fire way to lose high-paying customers to me.

Forget it, Viola. It's Kamurocho-town.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Kanrai Friendship- Eat something at the restaurant, wait a bit, return, and the friendship event should start. You’ll need to visit twice for the full event.

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010
RGG Studios has the coolest product placement I have ever seen, hands-down. I would happily play through a dozen sidequests with the digital versions of real-life restaurant owners. And based on what I know about the studio's fans (at least the Western ones), they will flock to every restaurant featured in the games when they visit Kabukicho.

Samovar posted:

Forget it, Viola. It's Kamurocho-town.

I believe that the "-cho" suffix actually means town, so what you are really saying is "Forget it, Viola. It's Kamuro-town-town." :spergin:

edit: Is...is Yagami breakdancing in some of those EX moves?

Viola the Mad fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Aug 29, 2019

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

It's basically Chun-Li's Windmill Kick thing

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Is there a term for when advertisements are so prevalent that the observer of the advertisements are LESS inclined to go for the product advertised? 'Cause now I hate that steakhouse.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

X-posting from the Yakuza 0 thread:

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1166939444714164224

I always joked that these games were basically JRPGs, and now we've come full circle. I'm excited to see where this studio goes in this post-Yakuza 6 world!

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Wait wasn't that an April Fools gag?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

SSNeoman posted:

Wait wasn't that an April Fools gag?

Its real!

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
As a Swede, not having your menu displayed outside is kind of weird. Having pictures of all the food is more for pizza, hot dog, chinese food or kebab places, and those are seldom too accurate, but whenever you are going to a restaurant there is either one of these outside;
If you don't have that, does that mean that you only get an idea of what kind of food they have once you go inside and sit down? Or is it just the ones with picture of the food that you don't have?

Thesaya fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Aug 30, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Going up a little early today, I'm not sure I'll be around later to push all the buttons I need to for an update.

Thesaya posted:

As a Swede, not having your menu displayed outside is kind of weird. Having pictures of all the food is more for pizza, hot dog, chinese food or kebab places, and those are seldom too accurate, but whenever you are going to a restaurant there is either one of these outside;
If you don't have that, does that mean that you only get an idea of what kind of food they have once you go inside and sit down? Or is it just the ones with picture of the food that you don't have?

At least here in Boston, its pretty common practice to have the menu outside like that too, I think I was just commenting on how the food displays is a very Japanese thing.

ChaosArgate fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Aug 30, 2019