Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013

Entorwellian posted:

I like the straight line videos more. The soccerball one didn't do it for me at all.

Yeah I felt much the same about the one where he wanted to traverse europe with different modes of trasnport. It's just a boring travel documentary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQKERiTx43s

I know not everyone likes this geowizard series but I for one am excited.

Might be time for a thread title update but I have no inspiration.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

I wasn't so keen on his Eurotrip videos but this looks fun.

I started with the straight line missions but ended up watching lots of his geoguessr videos too, which are strangely compelling.

Now youtube recommends me other geoguessrs and straight line missions, but they all seem to be by bland people. Maybe someday we'll have algorithms that can determine I like certain channels because of the people who host them rather than the subject matter. It's the same for other subjects. I've no interest in cookery channels but I watch a few because I like the people and don't want the algorithm spamming me with every computer voice-narrated cooking channel on the platform.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
We noticed you bought this STANDARD TOILET last month. You've been identified as a regular buyer of TOILET. Here are ten identical ads for STANDARD TOILETs to follow you everywhere on the internet, forever. Many people got rich inventing this technology and priced all the teachers in Northern California out of commutes less than four hours each way

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I'm on board for this one. There'll probably be some dumb stuff amount the way, but I'm especially curious because there's almost bound to be some places I recognize personally, unlike most UK/Europe shenanigans.

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

Now youtube recommends me other geoguessrs and straight line missions, but they all seem to be by bland people. Maybe someday we'll have algorithms that can determine I like certain channels because of the people who host them rather than the subject matter. It's the same for other subjects. I've no interest in cookery channels but I watch a few because I like the people and don't want the algorithm spamming me with every computer voice-narrated cooking channel on the platform.

I feel like I've been getting tons more recommends there since I got the motivation to start clicking the occasional "do not recommend this channel" button, like starting to curate my feed really made them take notice. Maybe they've just really ramped up its recommends in general lately, though. But yeah, for me it's cooking and food testing videos. Just because I watch some of those doesn't mean you have to pile on recommends for every foodie youtuber with 50 viewers every day, there's a reason most of them are nobodies :arghfist:

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
I absolutely loved his euro series in certain ways more than his straight line missions so I am HYPED for this.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0A8VBQb2s8

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

The boat stuff is genuinely terrifying to me. It reminds me of a nightmare I had about driving a car when I've never driven a car and don't have a license.

Video is good but the first part is cringey with an affluent youtuber 'content creator' wandering around begging people for a lift and eventually getting some random guy who works in a hostel to pay for his train ticket?????

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
give the guy's popularity now it prob would've been a better idea to give up somewhat on the bumming rides/help aspect and just sticking to challenges along the way, like the rickety boat or destinations not served by public transport etc. it definitely picked up once they had to get a boat working and get down long island sound

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
yeah i get that the idea is to travel without knowing how and with the help of strangers and whatever, but you can't just go into random bars, cafes and university dorms begging for stuff. Especially weird when they knocked on the door of some frat house with a camera on and asked if they could play pool in there in the hope that they'd convince someone to drive them like 100 miles or whatever it was

enjoyed the rest of it but I hope there's a bit less of that going forward

really he could have just asked fans and set up a route where they would help along the way, he's literally just bumping into them randomly everywhere anyway

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

I found the juxtaposition between "America is BAD and DANGEROUS and we'll be KILLED if we try to do the same stuff we did in Europe" (which uhhh I'm not sure is true, they're two personable white Brits and having been that in the States, I'm fairly sure they'll be fine) and "gently caress let's just knock on random frat houses and see if anyone's driving to bumfuck nobody ever wants to go to". Kind of feels like they should have just started with the boat or accepted early on that they just needed to stump up the cash for the bus/train.

Looks like it'll pick up next episode though.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

give the guy's popularity now it prob would've been a better idea to give up somewhat on the bumming rides/help aspect and just sticking to challenges along the way, like the rickety boat or destinations not served by public transport etc. it definitely picked up once they had to get a boat working and get down long island sound

Yeah, I watched the video in two sessions and the second half starting when they got the boat definitely worked better for me.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Haha episode 2 is slightly different. Enjoyed it

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

eating only apples posted:

Context: the episodes are up on patreon one day before they become public. Episode 2 should go public... roughly 14 hours from now.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsBR6VIJKCE

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

quote:

Over time, I''ve received quite a few emails warning me not to trespass in the States, but I have to say that my first experience was a pleasant one.

Lol, I hope these safe travels continue :911:

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

eating only apples posted:

Gotta admit this series isn't working for me. they just bailed on the boat and got wasted! They're throwing cash at everything but don't seem to be willing to pay a mechanic to spend 10 minutes checking their motor.

also, for whatever reason camping at a campsite and then not paying really rubs me the wrong way. i'm 100% fine with someone wild camping illegally in a field, or a shed, whatever but running off in the morning from a campsite and then paying $140 for a motel the next night???

hemale in pain fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Dec 12, 2022

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Yeah, it's not particularly enjoyable to be honest. It's just a vacation. I'm not sure I'll even bother to watch all of it unless it improves, didn't finish the first episode and I've re-watched pretty much all of the other series. :(

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
im mostly enjoying this series but it it's nowhere near as fun as their others so far, its missing too much of the trespassing/running away from farmers/general mischief that the UK and Euro missions had. It feels a bit more like a regular holiday vlog just with a few mild inconveniences for getting about. Not really their fault, perhaps it's just a difference between UK/Euro and US culture.

Maybe it will pick up in the later episodes but so far the only memorable moment is that guy offering to buy the boat and sprinting away down the jetty

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee
I like that he weaves little stories out of everything. It doesn't always have to be about doing a challenge imho

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
i think it could easily be a fun travel show but because of the expectations from previous ones and the fact his narration style/format didn't seem to change, it comes off disappointing. if it were signposted as more of a departure it'd probably be fine

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwlTGuOxfoA

After the part where they wasted their time (and mine) getting drunk, the video got decent, i guess

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Listen, I am the whitest person, and yet

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I was all set to get disappointed by yet another bar visit, but then it turned into the one that demands silence while everyone watches Jeopardy and I was right back on board :buddy:

later e: The stuff around Lancaster was neat to see, that's the kind of stuff I was hoping for when he announced this project. I spent some time in Lancaster and surrounding areas for a work project, and it was fun to see things I recognized from having been there myself. It's a really nice area, and a lot of the countryside reminded me of areas in southern England.

Captain Hygiene fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Dec 22, 2022

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

New vid is up

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
even if all the rest are as meh as the first episodes its been worth it for this week's, holy poo poo

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Lol yes, this one is a good time. Maybe you can be funny doing dumb drunk stuff after all.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTO2MTiC4xM

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah that was an excellent episode, it almost makes me actually want to go to a baseball game!

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Another good one.

As a note, Tom keeps saying on Patreon that all his videos are supposed to be watched with subtitles on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKDqeIAWQ4A

I do wonder how much trouble they actually could've gotten themselves in on that private access road.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

There I was in a London poo poo hole off of Charles street. Just having projectile poo poo in a pub bathroom and narrowly escaping a chav with a Billy club I ran across the street to the halala shop and finished off some hookah. I borrowed a lorry and started giving people rides before I was called a scab and concussed with a glass bottle vaulted at my head

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

That was a pretty good one, mostly just some nice low key trying to get around. I wonder what the park service folks thought about seeing them pop up repeatedly around the place, I suppose randos could show up there all the time looking to hitch rides around the park for all I know.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Terry rules.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-knvaGS2yI

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

So how risky is it letting someone else drive in your tags

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

For all the things the old straight line missions did, did they feature a guy who's been cosplaying as Gomer Pyle since the early 1990s? No, they did not :911:

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

He didn’t look anything like Gomer Pyle. Should have been fatter and wearing 60s marine boot clothes. Basic stuff.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
That was a great episode, I have to admit I love watching their drunk antics as well as when they meet such random nice people.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

The last chapter of this trip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_4_dNsn5cI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Von Pluring
Sep 19, 2003

Zelensky's Zealots
Pork Pro
I liked it. This series started out pretty slow, but picked up the pace considerably. Last episode was a hoot. Lol @ the water travelling plans going to poo poo AGAIN.