Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

STRAIGHT LINE news

So, STORROR is apparently some UK-based parkour group with 8M subscribers on youtube.

They asked Geowizard to make them a marathon-length straight line without telling them what to expect.

Geowizard thought "these guys are pros, and I won't have to do it - so let's make it as hard as possible".

Here's the first part, on STORROR's channel, with the occassional narration by Geowizard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujIardpnDlo

Good watch, imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Just been watching that and I found them generally quite annoying and laddish

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTUMPFQHn94

Part 2. They do come across as a bit laddish and this is way outside of what they normally do, but they're really nice guys in person and hugely respected in the parkour scene.

I've no idea why this is their toughest challenge. I'd be tempted to try a straight line mission but there's no way I'd attempt any of the stuff they do in their regular videos.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I don't know about their other stuff, but several people have tried to mimic Geowizard and a lot of them realized how though it actually is and how underprepared they were, and had to drop out quite early.

Von Pluring
Sep 19, 2003

Zelensky's Zealots
Pork Pro
I remember the start of his first straight line video where he's like "all right, let's get going", jumps down a set of stairs, and is immediately almost hit by a car.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTUMPFQHn94

Part 2. They do come across as a bit laddish and this is way outside of what they normally do, but they're really nice guys in person and hugely respected in the parkour scene.

Oh yeah they don’t come across as arseholes or anything, just the dynamic of watching a bunch of friends bantering with each other is very different to GeoWizard Tom’s style, where he’s generally either going slightly insane by himself or making friends with randoms.

Speaking of, in the commentary for the parkour guys he mentioned a new straight line mission out this Sunday.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I'm quite enjoying those lads trying to get through all of those wonderful thorny plants and wet ditches, so thanks for posting that. :)
The group is not GeoWizard of course but they're more enjoyable than the people he kicked a football across the UK with.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I've been watching some of those parkour guys' other videos and have been finding them much more enjoyable when they're in their element - particularly the hide and seeks in weird abandoned urban places

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Butterfly Valley posted:

Oh yeah they don’t come across as arseholes or anything, just the dynamic of watching a bunch of friends bantering with each other is very different to GeoWizard Tom’s style, where he’s generally either going slightly insane by himself or making friends with randoms.

Speaking of, in the commentary for the parkour guys he mentioned a new straight line mission out this Sunday.

He did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8m7DvNEn0k

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

There's just something about Wales that feels right for this stuff. It's a comprehensible distance, but with a good mix of rough terrain and active farmland with dogs and hedgerows :gonk:, it feels perfect for doing a short challenge. I was super glad to see he got a satcomm/gps this time, too.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
I know he described it in the newest ep and it's obvious he was exhausted just by watching him, but it's worth just reiterating how impressive that first day was. That is a long distance to cover on that type of terrain, the fact that he's not more tired after that first stint is amazing.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

It remains to be seen how going so hard on the first day will affect him for the rest of the run though.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9IZJeAYLnU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Woah, and over at Archie Fieldhouse, they encountered an angry farmer - quite likely the VERY SAME Geowizard encountered a while back. And they were driven off the track. But instead of giving up, one of them, who happens to be an ultra-runner, RESTARTED the mission, and managed to run 2 days of missioning in less than a day. Epic stuff.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Carbon dioxide posted:

Woah, and over at Archie Fieldhouse, they encountered an angry farmer - quite likely the VERY SAME Geowizard encountered a while back. And they were driven off the track. But instead of giving up, one of them, who happens to be an ultra-runner, RESTARTED the mission, and managed to run 2 days of missioning in less than a day. Epic stuff.

That's Barkley Marathons application submission worthy

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee
Video good

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22tuh9WY8Zw

Gasmask posted:

Video good

Von Pluring
Sep 19, 2003

Zelensky's Zealots
Pork Pro
Comments say Wales looks like a fairy-tale and people would love to visit. I think it looks kinda horrible with all the brambles, thick ugly "forests", marshes, and barbed wired hedges everywhere. Freedom to roam is the poo poo, and if your country doesn't have it, it's bad. Video good, though.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
Brits haven't really owned up to the same fact their foreign counterparts have (Netherlands for example): their countryside is ugly and boring as a whole. But freedom to roam is cool. Too bad it mostly means roaming in permanently swamped treeless pasture without any landmark or natural feature of note.

I've done loads of country walks and here's how the guidance goes:

Cross a pasture and over a stile to the south.
(NOTE: this pasture is a bog 11 months out of the year, as are all to follow)
Cross three more pastures and stiles, then an A-road with continuous 50 mph traffic with no break
Walk between two stone walls for a bit, then some more pastures, gates and stiles
Stop at a pub.

That's not to say there aren't nice gardens, national trust houses, etc. but yeah you could throw a football from one end of "sherwood forest" to the other. Land without trees or big mountains can't really compete with much.

That said it's not bad for straight line missions for the very same reasons. The obstacles are passable mostly, but still a challenge.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Really happy he got the chance to do it (and first as well!). It seems like a bit of a last hurrah which is a shame, but you can see the absolute torture he was putting himself through on that final day even with the help from Verity. It's a shame he couldn't get platinum but for how quickly he planned the mission, under some time constraints as well, that was pretty good.

The other lads completed theirs which was incredible. The guy ran it in two days. The support crew was much bigger (and useless at times) but it was a great showing of human endurance.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Von Pluring posted:

Comments say Wales looks like a fairy-tale and people would love to visit. I think it looks kinda horrible with all the brambles, thick ugly "forests", marshes, and barbed wired hedges everywhere. Freedom to roam is the poo poo, and if your country doesn't have it, it's bad. Video good, though.

I mean there are some absolutely gorgeous parts of the UK, but arguably they're the parts that are either on the coast, or are the most hilly. Of course the best straight line routes are going to be biased towards the less interesting, flatter and "easier" parts of the country. It's kind of like going to Kansas and declaring the entire US looks like poo poo.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Aphex- posted:

I mean there are some absolutely gorgeous parts of the UK, but arguably they're the parts that are either on the coast, or are the most hilly. Of course the best straight line routes are going to be biased towards the less interesting, flatter and "easier" parts of the country. It's kind of like going to Kansas and declaring the entire US looks like poo poo.

I know I was just making GBS threads on UK scenery and I stand by it but you're right that the particular shittiness of its open countryside (and its roaming laws) are what spawned the whole possibility of straight line challenges.

If the US had roaming laws and wasn't filled with castle doctrine psychos a Kansas mission would be pretty dull. As is it'd be more like those "sticking people up with a real gun in the hood PRANK" videos that used to pollute youtube... just suicide by cop or the first armed person you come across

Von Pluring
Sep 19, 2003

Zelensky's Zealots
Pork Pro

Aphex- posted:

O yes, for sure. I know there are absolutely stunning places in Wales and the rest of the UK. I’ve been to England several times and I really like it. I was reacting to the comments on these particular videos full of the stuff I described above.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

By the way the algorithm suggested a series of New Zealand straight missioners.

They said at the start they were inspired by Geowizard, but unlike him they spent weeks calling up the farmers along the way and asking them for permission to cross their land.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Fun mission across brum.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f33WqXf30Qk

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Thanks. I'm feeling this thread isn't getting much activity anymore so I wasn't sure if I should bother to keep posting his stuff, but if anyone else does that's perfectly fine.

Lusty Grundles
Jun 9, 2023

poo poo on my chest there's a GeoWizard megathread. Yes please.

Yeah, the video from yesterday was pretty good. Never been to Birmingham, but it was interesting to see these little pockets of a city that get neglected and left to rot. I was always fascinated with pictures of deprived projects in the shadow of big cities, and I can't find it now but the massive wall separating a beautiful mansion with a tennis court from what I think was some sort of favela.

The preview of the next instalment normally makes everything seem more dramatic than it is, but I'm somewhat interested in that river of poo poo that's going to be making an appearance.

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

I like how instead of having a full support team in a minibus like those two posh lads, Tom just has his uncle dragging a leaky canoe down a canal tow path lmao

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
He is an excellent uncle stereo type. I can imagine him turning a blind eye when they were up to no good as 12 year olds.

Lusty Grundles
Jun 9, 2023

At the beginning when he said Verity wasn't ill, she just wasn't feeling this one :laffo:

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer
I love these ones because I live in the same area and have been to a lot of the locations in them.

Birmingham has some mad buildings- go GIS The Bullring for the centrepiece of them all.

I would definitely stop and say hello if I saw him out and about- my neighbour spotted him in Lichfield once, I was dead jealous.

My favourite bit this episode was them trying to inflate their boat, and their eventual crossing.

Speaking of canals if you want more Brummie backwaters then go watch BrummiesOutdoors, a channel where an adorably down-to-Earth family sling powerful magnets into the canals of Birmingham and drag out things often found in crime scenes, amongst other things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iql4459shro

https://youtube.com/@brummiesoutdoors

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
I'm travelling to Europe this fall. Is it true that if you speak English louder and slower, they barbarians can understand it?

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

I'm travelling to Europe this fall. Is it true that if you speak English louder and slower, they barbarians can understand it?

it's true OP but you also have to slightly imitate the accent of the country you're in

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTy4HT-h9Ds

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

yes this works very well in england

The no roads stuff are some of my favourite videos. I don't think Tom really has the enthusiasm for straight line stuff anymore, and you can really tell he just wanted to get the Wales one over and done with. Also, worth watching his running across Wales in a day video if you wanna see some people seriously almost die in the stupidest way imaginable by going up a big hill in freezing conditions with no winter clothes.

the video if you guys missed it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcFx9_A6q0s

hemale in pain fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jul 7, 2023

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

hemale in pain posted:

yes this works very well in england

The no roads stuff are some of my favourite videos. I don't think Tom really has the enthusiasm for straight line stuff anymore, and you can really tell he just wanted to get the Wales one over and done with. Also, worth watching his running across Wales in a day video if you wanna see some people seriously almost die in the stupidest way imaginable by going up a big hill in freezing conditions with no winter clothes.

the video if you guys missed it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcFx9_A6q0s

I'm not going to England. I'm going to Europe

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

I'm not going to England. I'm going to Europe

Bore off

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Patreon update:

Since nobody else wanted to buy that car they used, Paulie bought it back for half price and drove all the way to Florida and back to come pick it up. The good news is the car has now been reunited with its original rear seats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Intro: "This mission is without trespassing".

Guess how long he keeps that up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfuoV3ugdyk