Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
We noticed you bought this STANDARD TOILET last month. You've been identified as a regular buyer of TOILET. Here are ten identical ads for STANDARD TOILETs to follow you everywhere on the internet, forever. Many people got rich inventing this technology and priced all the teachers in Northern California out of commutes less than four hours each way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
give the guy's popularity now it prob would've been a better idea to give up somewhat on the bumming rides/help aspect and just sticking to challenges along the way, like the rickety boat or destinations not served by public transport etc. it definitely picked up once they had to get a boat working and get down long island sound

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
i think it could easily be a fun travel show but because of the expectations from previous ones and the fact his narration style/format didn't seem to change, it comes off disappointing. if it were signposted as more of a departure it'd probably be fine

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
Brits haven't really owned up to the same fact their foreign counterparts have (Netherlands for example): their countryside is ugly and boring as a whole. But freedom to roam is cool. Too bad it mostly means roaming in permanently swamped treeless pasture without any landmark or natural feature of note.

I've done loads of country walks and here's how the guidance goes:

Cross a pasture and over a stile to the south.
(NOTE: this pasture is a bog 11 months out of the year, as are all to follow)
Cross three more pastures and stiles, then an A-road with continuous 50 mph traffic with no break
Walk between two stone walls for a bit, then some more pastures, gates and stiles
Stop at a pub.

That's not to say there aren't nice gardens, national trust houses, etc. but yeah you could throw a football from one end of "sherwood forest" to the other. Land without trees or big mountains can't really compete with much.

That said it's not bad for straight line missions for the very same reasons. The obstacles are passable mostly, but still a challenge.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Aphex- posted:

I mean there are some absolutely gorgeous parts of the UK, but arguably they're the parts that are either on the coast, or are the most hilly. Of course the best straight line routes are going to be biased towards the less interesting, flatter and "easier" parts of the country. It's kind of like going to Kansas and declaring the entire US looks like poo poo.

I know I was just making GBS threads on UK scenery and I stand by it but you're right that the particular shittiness of its open countryside (and its roaming laws) are what spawned the whole possibility of straight line challenges.

If the US had roaming laws and wasn't filled with castle doctrine psychos a Kansas mission would be pretty dull. As is it'd be more like those "sticking people up with a real gun in the hood PRANK" videos that used to pollute youtube... just suicide by cop or the first armed person you come across