Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
macbook pro
yes
no
desktop
gently caress off moo cow
View Results

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

My boss has asked me to source a brand new laptop so he can play powerpoint presentations or some poo poo on it.

He wants 'the best laptop' because he doesn't 'want it to loving stall like a oval office when its projecting my kick rear end presentation'.

I'm probably going to get him a macbook pro because he hasn't used a mac before, it doesn't have powerpoint on it, and as far as i'm aware, it's the best laptop out there.

but i thought i'd better check in with my chums on YOSPOS to make sure the man is getting the most bestest laptop available from a new zealand retail store.

THanks everybody

Moo Cowabunga fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Jul 25, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
Macbooks are for idiots so it sounds like a good fit.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
it used to be the best laptop but now it’s the least bad laptop. the keyboard is bad and so is the touchbar.

if your SWIM boss wants PowerPoint, maybe sticking to winders machines would be best

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
if you want a usable keyboard, no

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
the thinkpad T series are still and always have been the best laptops available

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

My boss has asked me to source a brand new laptop so he can play powerpoint presentations or some poo poo on it.

He wants 'the best laptop' because he doesn't 'want it to loving stall like a oval office when its projecting my kick rear end presentation'.

I'm probably going to get him a macbook pro because he hasn't used a mac before, it doesn't have powerpoint on it, and as far as i'm aware, it's the best laptop out there.

but i thought i'd better check in with my chums on YOSPOS to make sure the man is getting the most bestest laptop available from a new zealand retail store.

THanks everybody

macbooks are bad and it will throttle in the middle of his presentation and slow down.

xps 13/15 are best laptops. if he wants an apple, the ipad is the future of osx so get that.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan
get him this op

it has extreme right in the name

https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/dell-laptops-and-notebooks/latitude-7424-rugged-extreme/spd/latitude-14-7424-laptop/xctol742414us

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
Macintosh pro is the laptop made by and for professionals . it has what the professionals crave

matti
Mar 31, 2019

i like my lenovo thinkpad t480 or somesuch op

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Laptops are kind of in a sad state right now, unfortunately. If your boss cares about appearances then mac is still the way to go. If he actually wants to do work then get an xps 15 or a precision 5540.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I bought a new MacBook Pro (including touch bar) this year (2019) and it is great. makes me feel like a professional.

burning swine
May 26, 2004

XPS15 would be practically perfect if they would fix the S3 sleep state thing

still beats the mbp keyboard of death

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I have no issues whatsoever operating the keyboard on my new MacBook Professional.

burning swine
May 26, 2004

oliwan posted:

I have no issues whatsoever operating the keyboard on my new MacBook Professional.

give it a few months sucker

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

oliwan posted:

may your next touchbar firmware update refrain from bricking your bad laptop, namaste

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

pram
Jun 10, 2001

pram
Jun 10, 2001

oliwan posted:

I bought a new MacBook Pro (including touch bar) this year (2019) and it is great. makes me feel like a professional.

this. i9, 32gb of ram. hell yeah!!

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

and don’t forget all that GRAPHICS POWER for presentations

matti
Mar 31, 2019

honest just get any laptop with a 3 year warranty

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
I believe that your boss will find a chromebook to be perfectly needs-suiting. tell him to spend the piles of money saved on beer instead. you're welcome in advance for your promotion :cheers:

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

I was thinking about giving him my old laptop with Mint on it. that or a $6,000 xps 15 that seemingly has similar specs as a $3,500 MacBook for the professionals

pram
Jun 10, 2001
xps is actually crap despite what goons say. has the same overheating issues and a mushy lovely keyboard, also the build quality feels like cheap plastic garbage

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

there are no good laptops anymore

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

pram posted:

xps is actually crap despite what goons say. has the same overheating issues and a mushy lovely keyboard, also the build quality feels like cheap plastic garbage

as compared to the MacBook which has a broken keyboard and low performance

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Yeah, the current XPS15 apparently throttles like David Carradine at a post-prom.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

the mbp equivalent is someone who won't shut up about all the times theyve had to send their laptop in for repairs

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

fix it again tim

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
I was recently issued a MacBook Professional and the keyboard is not of an acceptable quality.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

matti posted:

honest just get any laptop with a 3 year warranty

and onsite support so you don’t have to fix your bosses poo poo

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.
get that hard mother fucker a TOUGHBOOK

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
If someone wants to do srs business 3d modeling, is the lenovo P series any good or would the T series suffice?

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

maybe check the gpu that it'd have, the T would probably just be plain Intel?

I would personally just get a desktop for anything like that tho

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Schadenboner posted:

Yeah, the current XPS15 apparently throttles like David Carradine at a post-prom.

get the thinkpad XXX XTREME EDITION instead it's good and has better thermals than either

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I ended up getting an literal babby laptop Latitude 3190 refurb for portability and I'm probably just going to get a Precision Desktop Spaceheater for actual computaring rather than trying to solve a three-variable problem (speed, size, heat) when I only really care about the first one?

:shrug:

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

use amazon workspaces with a graphics instance to do your 3D poo poo, you only pay by the hour

object-a
Aug 3, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
yes

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Tankakern posted:

there are no good laptops anymore

everything's getting worse honk honk :^)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Finster Dexter posted:

If someone wants to do srs business 3d modeling, is the lenovo P series any good or would the T series suffice?

what is srs business? like solidworks?

if it's gonna stay on your desk, get a desktop because you'll get quadruple the 3d performance at half the cost

if it's for moving around, get a whatever because the recent intel UHDs are fine for opening models (of reasonable size) and showing them off and you'll be doing all your heavy lifting and rendering on your desktop anyway. i have a fast desktop and an x-series thinkpad and that combo works real well for me. store all files on onedrive and it doesn't matter what computer you use.

if you're trying to buy a ~mobile workstation~ for some reason lol you hosed up but a thinkpad with a discrete nvidia card is the way to go i guess. enjoy breaking your back and burning your nuts