Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
macbook pro
yes
no
desktop
gently caress off moo cow
View Results

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

there is no best laptop theyre all bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

what's the least worst laptop
i was leaning towards a thinkpad until i saw this abomination

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RjjZNwudgc

i just want a 4k display and good reliable keyfeel, the rest isn't particularly important

There Will Be Penalty
May 18, 2002

Makes a great pet!
mbp <= 2015
mba <= 2017

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

There Will Be Penalty posted:

mbp <= 2015
mba <= 2017

hi yospos I just upgraded my laptop, a local java developer had one in near mint condition for a reasonable price

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

yes the 2015 macbook pro is the best portable computer ever made

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

i got a 2018 macintosh books professional at work and hell, it really whips the moo cow's rear end

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

nice keyboard you got there.

NOT

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

SRQ posted:

nice keyboard you got there.

NOT

turn ur monitor on

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

SRQ posted:

yes the 2015 macbook pro is the best portable computer ever made

it was interesting to have to use a new mbp for work, i figured the touchbar would be the worst part

and nope it is by a significant margin the keyboard

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

the guy I bought my new 2015 MacBook from ranted at length about how he had to get the keyboard on his 2016 model repaired TWICE and then the spacebar suddenly flew off and I talked about how I had owned one for a week before returning it and getting my money back, it was a great bonding experience

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

I think I’m gonna buy a macbook retina secondhand to use as my sitting on the couch laptop

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

psiox posted:

it was interesting to have to use a new mbp for work, i figured the touchbar would be the worst part

you’re holding it wrong

the keebs in the 2016+ macs book pro provide without a doubt one of the most sublime typing experiences known to this earth

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

when i sold my 2018 (due to getting mad at tim cook telling me i wasn't allowed to have an nvidia egpu) i had to sell it below what i wanted because the value doesn't keep as well, adn when i got a 2015 later (I still need a laptop) it was like

night and loving day.
hoping to sell it and upgrade to a 15 inch 2015 soon.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

psiox posted:

the touchbar is only occasionally annoying whereas the keyboard is always annoying

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

I liked the touchbar tbh. Fingerprint unlock was pretty nice too.

End of the day what I want is a 2015 with a fingerprint button. That's it, that's all.

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
i'm p okay with the touchbar, usb-c ports, and keyboard

my main complaint is that the trackpad is too big

There Will Be Penalty
May 18, 2002

Makes a great pet!

r u ready to WALK posted:

hi yospos I just upgraded my laptop, a local java developer had one in near mint condition for a reasonable price

:nice:

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

actually yosps

should i upgrade to a 15 inch 2015 or just get a bigger drive for my 13 inch 2015

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
15 inch laptops suck, i say hold

typed from my 13" 2015, the platonic ideal of a laptop

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
this battery has 668 cycles and still lasts 8 hours of browsing and slack

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Jonny 290 posted:

yeah., i have a work 2016 Dell XPS 13 and it's decent, so I figured i'd get one for myself and i bought a used 2017/8 Dell XPS 15 and it honestly sucks and have huge buyers remorse. i kinda like the touchscreen when i'm being lazy and just watching videos or what not, but it's battery life is rear end, its a fair bit heavier, and it's still not really anymore powerful and keyboard is the same size, feels like productivity is not really better from going from 13 to 15. it does have a nicer screen but i think that's just because it's newer. like it's pretty much only down-sides going from 13->15.

my friend and i had both bought a lenovo T430 back in 2013, and it was terrible. like we each had tons of components fail, wireless that more often didn't work, and eventually the GPU poo poo just died in mine. maybe we both had awful hardware-lottery but never again. for being a "robust business laptop' it was sure cheap and lovely as gently caress.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Aug 11, 2019

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Jonny 290 posted:

agreed. I got the 13” MBA 2019 edition and the cal digit tb3 dock. loving smooth.
hilarious that a third party dock works better than the Dell XPS and Dell TB16 pair ever did.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

There Will Be Penalty posted:

mbp <= 2015
mba <= 2017
why is that, did they radically change suppliers or something? genuinely curious--i don't really follow apple hardware or anything and never used em myself.

I bought my gf a 2017 mbp for christmas a couple years ago, it seems ok? but does have issues like wireless doesn't always come back on when waking up from sleep, sometimes screen doesn't come back on when opening up the lid, and a few other small things buit seems to work ok. keyboard is a little mushy but i think that's all laptops.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Xaris posted:

why is that, did they radically change suppliers or something? genuinely curious--i don't really follow apple hardware or anything and never used em myself.

I bought my gf a 2017 mbp for christmas a couple years ago, it seems ok? but does have issues like wireless doesn't always come back on when waking up from sleep, sometimes screen doesn't come back on when opening up the lid, and a few other small things buit seems to work ok. keyboard is a little mushy but i think that's all laptops.

2016 introduced the touchbar and the absolute worst keyboard ever put on an apple laptop for the pro line, so they basically died then.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Phoenixan posted:

i'm p okay with the touchbar, usb-c ports, and keyboard

my main complaint is that the trackpad is too big

yeah the oversized trackpad was pretty obnoxious too with "palm rejection" that only worked some of the time

it's almost impressive how many things they managed to gently caress up in one fell swoop

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Jonny 290 posted:

2016 introduced the touchbar and the absolute worst keyboard ever put on an apple laptop for the pro line, so they basically died then.

touchbars are still optional arent they? i know i had the choice but it was like an extra $200 so i was just like nah to that--so an optional feature doesn't seem like a big deal. I never really used a mac keyboard much before 2016 so i don't really have a frame of reference, but like, it doesn't seem noticeably better or worse than any typical acer or asus or dell keyboard. maybe that's crux of the issue is that it's not.

although i do think i like my dell xps 15 keyboard more just because they protrude a little higher and have a little more feedback/push to them; however, the dell touchpad is absolutely horrendous as hell

Xaris fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Aug 11, 2019

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

the touch bar is not a bad idea in isolation but it's just baffling that they removed the upper row of keys to install it instead of just shifting the keyboard down half an inch

There Will Be Penalty
May 18, 2002

Makes a great pet!
some models don't have the touchbar i think

but mainly it's because of the butterfly keyboards

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Touch Bar is a gimmick you can ignore safely and lose nothing really, if anything it gives you stupidly gimmick ways to do some things like move around a video.

keyboard is the prime physical element and was ruined entirely.

Consensus seems to be keep the 13 inch and just get a bigger SSD for it? 128GB isn't bad but it keeps filling up at random and annoys me.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

a catch with the touch bar is that if it thinks it needs a firmware update it will absolutely brick your laptop until it successfully gets it

so it's actually materially worse than just not having a touch bar to begin with

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Xaris posted:

my friend and i had both bought a lenovo T430 back in 2013, and it was terrible. like we each had tons of components fail, wireless that more often didn't work, and eventually the GPU poo poo just died in mine. maybe we both had awful hardware-lottery but never again. for being a "robust business laptop' it was sure cheap and lovely as gently caress.

posting from my t440s. recently saved my rear end when the work mbp decided to stop outputting anything to its screen at all for 36 hours while I was at the end of a two week trip. unlike that p.o.s. the t440s just works god bless

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Progressive JPEG posted:

a catch with the touch bar is that if it thinks it needs a firmware update it will absolutely brick your laptop until it successfully gets it

so it's actually materially worse than just not having a touch bar to begin with

yep. for those who arent punished with a touchbar mac and don't know - the bar itself runs WatchOS. i'm not joking

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Jonny 290 posted:

yep. for those who arent punished with a touchbar mac and don't know - the bar itself runs WatchOS. i'm not joking
running two cpus and two displays also does a number on the battery life, too

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

I never had battery life problems with them when I had one.

However the whole "Rather than fix the bug causing the time-remaining to fluctuate, we got rid of it" really is telling for modern apple. That bug only existed on the Touchbar ones too, but nope they removed that feature for all models forever.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2019/06/important-notice-for-batteries-in-certain-macbook-pro-units/

mbps are trash send you'res back today

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

that's actually part of why i want to get a 15 inch 2015- free new battery, thanks tim

pram
Jun 10, 2001
yes thats what happened to my previous 2015 mbp, the battery bloated out and ruined the case lol

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

The one I bought already had this done to it so it's practically a new computer!

They should really add some sort of pressure sensor to the case warning about battery bloat so you can fix it before it cracks the trackpad glass or bends the metal.
Or, you know, just make the drat battery modular again.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

2012 MBP 13" was pretty much the platonic ideal of a laptop, which is why I'm going to run this poo poo into the ground before I ever upgrade. All of the new Macbooks just seem/feel like ipads on an expensive keyboard stand that will have to be disposed of the second the glue starts to give.

quote:

Health Information:
Cycle Count: 2394
Condition: Replace Soon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
the keyboard on the macbook pro is not as good as the one on the ipad pro smart keyboard folio. makes sense, because the macbook pro is also not as good as the ipad pro