Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
macbook pro
yes
no
desktop
gently caress off moo cow
View Results

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
it sucks, don't buy one

keyboard sucks, touchbar sucks, price sucks, apple is a ding dong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

i regret my purchase of a 2017 macbook pro (actually has escape key, no touch bar) every day

i still use it, but i don't like it

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

I like my 2017 MBP but I preferred my 2015. Work pays for mine though so 🤷‍♂️

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
like everyone else in here with correct opinions, i'll be holding on to my 2015 13" until sidechannel attack mitigations make osx on intel unusable

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

psiox posted:

like everyone else in here with correct opinions, i'll be holding on to my 2015 13" until sidechannel attack mitigations make osx on intel unusable

what do you think you'll do then

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
go on a quest in the post-2024 wasteland to find a new-in-box identical model

or maybe a thinkpad running lunix

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

after the apocalypse security by obscurity will be key to survival because skynet is running on commodity ARM and x86 hardware
http://tenfourfox.blogspot.com/2018/01/actual-field-testing-of-spectre-on.html

Bring it on, I'll be ready

https://www.morphos-team.net/hardware

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

morphos is trash, the late g4 is double-trash and was shipping against early core duo stuff (lol) for a time, and those are relatively flimsy laptops

powerbook g3 Pismo is where it's at

pram
Jun 10, 2001
wrong g4 powerbook was epic af

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

no the aluminum models are pieces of poo poo that are the reason ppc died, the g5 was too hot so they just kept shipping incrementally advanced g4s until loving 2005.

the 1.67 especially is hot garbage and the only laptop I can think of where the gpu outpaces the cpu

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

pram posted:

wrong g4 powerbook was epic af
:hai:

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!
Yeah, the mid 2000's g4's were hot garbage hardware wise, but mac os was actually feeling pretty awesome at that time.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

I had a 12" g4 1.33ghz and it was loving horseshit. I had to send it in twice for repairs after the hard drive died, the fan ran constantly and sounded like it was grinding hamsters, the screen was blotchy and dim, and they even hosed up the anodization somehow so that it developed pits on the wrist rest where my hands went

the only good things that happened with that garbage were getting a free battery due to yet another apple safety recall, and selling it to some moron on CL for $600 a week before the Intel transition was formally announced

the work mbp I deal with today is terrible at any price, but the powerbook era was another level

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

the 12 inch ones were at least unique in the size/speed. Like they had a reason to exist.
and it's true yeah MacOS was leagues beyond fuckin' Windows XP past 10.2. Before 10.2 it was a garbage fire and a disaster- but OS9 was still mostly viable in the interrim.

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
I had a first-gen c2d mbp and good lord was it garbage too, speaking of sending things in for repairs constantly

yeah that time period was Bad For Computers

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

'member the cap plague when one (maybe more?) factories in china were shipping fake capacitors 2003-2005ish and they all blew within years, ruining those systems for long term collection? or the switch to lead-free solder that gives G5s a huge amount of problems?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
a friend of mine bought a core solo mac mini

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

woulda been great for those 10 months before core 2 was out lol

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
oh whew, yeah, those RoHS adjustment years were rough

the new macbook pro: it could technically be worse

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

SRQ posted:

the 12 inch ones were at least unique in the size/speed. Like they had a reason to exist.

to sell the thinkpad x series to people who get work done

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
my job gave me a touchbar and i hate it more than the keyboard

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
psst. the Air still has physical function keys

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

I’m still waiting for my boss to purchase the MacBook professional laptop computer.

there’s a purchase number and everything!

pram
Jun 10, 2001
:woop:

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

burning swine
May 26, 2004

SRQ posted:

'member the cap plague when one (maybe more?) factories in china were shipping fake capacitors 2003-2005ish and they all blew within years, ruining those systems for long term collection? or the switch to lead-free solder that gives G5s a huge amount of problems?

Lol. I worked IT helpdesk at a university at the peak of that. Dell Optiplex GX270s had a failure rate in the field of approximately 100% because of those caps. We used to have stacks and stacks of them waiting for the dell guy to show up and swap motherboards.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

if i told you to buy me the best laptop and you came back with a macbook you'd be in the loving unemployment line

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

evilweasel posted:

if i told you to buy me the best laptop and you came back with a macbook you'd be in the loving unemployment line

you're a bad person and should feel bad

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

SRQ posted:

you're a bad person and should feel bad

better a bad person with a good laptop than a good person with a modern macbook

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

you didn't say modern tho.

the correct response to your quest is the 15 inch 2015

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

SRQ posted:

you didn't say modern tho.

the correct response to your quest is the 15 inch 2015

the original post demanded a "brand new" laptop so it was implied in the specification

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Origin
Feb 15, 2006

I remember messing around with the first MacBook Pro and it definitely had the mooing problem and would occasionally kernel panic as well.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

:11tea:

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
hot take: don't buy a laptop, for they are portable distraction engines. Every dollar spent towards a laptop can be instead spent towards a desktop that is more powerful and will last longer/be more reliable since you're not dropping it and when you spill a liter of cola you're out maybe $50 for a new keyboard

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

and how do i work on papers in the library then, an ipad? gently caress no

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Jonny 290 posted:

a friend of mine bought a core solo mac mini

was it this one or the first core2 one that had a socketed cpu that you could swap for a core2 quad?

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

SRQ posted:

and how do i work on papers in the library then, an ipad? gently caress no

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

imagine tripping with that on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

BONGHITZ posted: