Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Problem description: Have a bit of a mysterious issue. My desktop PC (Windows 10) will randomly lose its network (wired) connection, but only when I'm not using it to stream to my TV with Steam Link. The computer is plugged into my router, as is the Steam Link. When it's using the Steam Link, I never have any issues at all, ever. But when I'm just on the computer itself, it will go to 'no connection' seemingly randomly, start working again after a bit, stop, start, etc. Some days it's worse than others. No other devices on my local network have this issue. I'd guess there was an issue with the hardware except that it literally has never happened while streaming, which I do for most of the day so I'm very confident in saying it never happens then. Not using wifi at all for either device. Not sure what other info might be helpful in figuring this out but happy to provide.

Attempted fixes: I don't have any ideas - everything appears to be working correctly, no driver issues, troubleshooting hasn't turned up anything.

Recent changes: No, this has been happening for quite some time, I can't remember when it first started.

--

Operating system: WIndows 10

System specs: 16GB RAM, i7-4790k, ASUS Maximus VII Hero Z97 ATX motherboard, EVGA 750W 220-G2-0750-XR PSU, 2x Nvidia 970 (SLI). Router is Netgear N900

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

-Make sure you're using the latest firmware for the Netgear N900.
-Try connecting the computer to a different port on the router.
-Also, use a different cable if possible.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
I got a USB Ethernet stick and using that I didn't have any issues (only for a day, but still significant.) I guess it must be a hardware or driver issue with my motherboard's ethernet? Like if it's constantly in use like while streaming it can stay up, but if it runs out of things to do for some reason it just shuts down? Hopefully this keeps working in any case, knock on wood. If this stops working I'll try the router firmware upgrade, I'm sure it's out of date.

Edit: Upgraded the firmware anyways, seemed like a good idea.

Mozi fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Jul 29, 2019

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Mozi posted:

I guess it must be a hardware or driver issue with my motherboard's ethernet?

It is possible.

You could try the latest Ethernet drivers if you haven't already:
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25016/Intel-Network-Adapter-Driver-for-Windows-10

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
I installed those drivers, switched to a new cable, and used a new port on my router. Problem still comes back pretty much immediately when I use my old ethernet port, still goes away again when I switch to my USB adapter port. The Intel connection diagnostics say just:

Connection Test Results [7/30/2019 1:45:12 PM] :
Connection Status : Failed
This adapter does not have link. Make sure the cable is connected and the speed and duplex settings are configured correctly on the adapter and link partner.
Cable Link Status : Failed
This adapter does not have link. Make sure the cable is connected and the speed and duplex settings are configured correctly on the adapter and link partner.

when I run them when it's disconnected. When I run the tests while it's up, everything passes (cable, connection, and hardware.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Malware/viruses could cause behavior like this. You could run these programs if you want:
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/rkill/
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/junkware-removal-tool/

Also, make sure you're on the latest motherboard BIOS:
https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/MAXIMUS_VII_HERO/HelpDesk_Download/

If none of that helps then a good way to isolate this issue to being a software/hardware problem would be to use a Live CD with a Linux distribution on it. If your Ethernet still has issues on Linux then it's 100% some kind of hardware issue. If it works on Linux then W10 has some issue.

Another quicker option would be trying safemode with networking enabled.