Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Check them under different lighting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

most jewelry stores will clean rings for free as a way of getting you in the door. Takes only a couple minutes

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

https://twitter.com/thetimes/status/1198941676636688384

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Seluin posted:

It’s my first time at Tucson! Omg, I thought it would be just a couple of locations. Not 30+ hotels scattered across the area :O

The FOMO is strong.

What are you after? In terms of well'rounded shows if you dont know what you're after, 22nd street is the best pick - great deals across the spectrum AND dinosaurs.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

subpar anachronism posted:

I've picked up some vintage swarovski UG glass facets I'd like to use in jewelry. I've done research on settings, but is there a tool to help size smaller round gems? I have a bunch of teeny rounds but my eyes just aren't good enough when it gets down to points. Maybe some kind of... plate with holes? I don't know.
little hoard:

usually calipers

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Nice job

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Seluin posted:

Now, INTO ITS GUTS.

looks like a heart

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

A lot of instability in African gem sites (Ethiopia's civil war for instance), supply chain issues, covid travel issues. The Tucson gem show has had very few international dealers the last couple years and that's the major way new materials get to market.

On the synthetics side most of the big ones have realized that they are more profitable just cutting their own synthetic gems in house, and many of the others have gone out of business.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

people talk about the experience of going to vegas, where you walk down the street and your money just evaporates

tucson is much the same but you end up with pockets full of rocks

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The reason faceted amethyst is so cheap is because there is so much cheap facetable rough flooding the market. Originally it was one of the most valuable 'precious' gems, but it became a cheap 'semiprecious' when large amounts of great Brazilian amethyst were found, and current synthetic production has helped keep the price down.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

How hot does that silver solder get, anyway?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The Alexandrovich lab was the group that invent the first viable growth technique for of large quartz crystals. Once they had the lab set up (under A.A. Sternberg, probably the greatest expert on crystals on the planet, who also literally slept on a cot next to the giant crystal-growing autoclaves ), they managed to go from building their first machines in 1955 to producing 3 kilogram quartz crystals in 1956.

Everyone working there was passionate, so they were incredibly excited when they finally opened up the autoclave and saw the huge crystals. The main assistant (L Tsinober) grabbed one of them out of the autoclave, still hot, and impatiently rushed to the sink to wash it off to get a better look.

When the cold water hit, it immediately cracked into a million pieces. The other workers were - to put it mildly, quite unhappy about that, except Sternberg, who just said 'Don't worry. Soon we'll have a lot more of them.'

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Uranium glass is worth a bit to collectors (as is victoria stone), but other glasses aren't worth much of anything without some cool historical origin story. Sorry but if it's glass your gramps got scammed.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Nae posted:

I hit a big jewelry-making milestone today: I made my first three-stone ring! Like all creative projects I make, I’m struggling to ignore the (many) flaws, but I feel like it’s a really good first attempt. Next go-around, I want to make the claw prongs smaller and set the whole thing lower, but it’ll obviously depend on what size stones I use. This guy has a 7.4 YAG middle (cut by TenaciousFaceting on etsy), and the sides are 5mm LuAG rounds I got from our very own Scarodactyl. Thank you, Scarodactyl!

congrats! It looks great :)

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Crosspost for maximum visiblity.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Looks pretty cool, I'd say

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Soul Dentist posted:

Hello thread! I've been working as a production bench jeweler for about a year now, working with platinum and gold castings and fabrication to make stuff like this ring or this tennis bracelet or these pendants that are the bane of my existence

I could have sworn I posted about it somewhere on SA when I started, but lord knows where. Whatever. My shop is where most diamond setting happens for the company, but I'm involved in most other steps for a piece between casting and final polish, not inclusive.

My typical work day is divided between cast cleaning/prepolishing, fitting and and soldering pieces together. I have my "own" bench supplied with top-notch tools, and I use a propane/ox little torch for all hot work.

Any pictures I could take at work would get me fired, but I'm happy to answer any questions in exchange for the inevitable questions I'll have as I learn. Cheers!

What's the coolest project you've worked on so far?

And on the opposite end of the scale, what kind of work is the biggest pain in the rear end at your job?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Like any retail good you shouldn't expect to be able to sell for retail price unless that's your full time job.

Opals are so variable depending on play of color and locale it is impossible to say if the appraisal is accurate from this amount of info.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Whoa, big price diff between around 500 and around 8 grand.

Rough is easy enough, I can just ask one of the crystal factories a friend uses for a big chunk.

I would love a giant natural stone one but I'd imagine finding a ruby that size that looks nice is about the equivalent of buying a new car with cash. Gonna be a BIG price tag on there.

I think the stuff he gets cut is k9 crystal or optical grade. Any idea if that works better than glass or quartz or something on the vevor?

IIRC K9 is lead glass, so you might want to avoid grinding it and spreading the powder around.

Generally quartz can be chippy and it has fairly mediocre optical properties

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Yea the 9 can refer to the lead content. If I cut that it's gonna be while wearing a respirator.

should wear a respirator with everything TBH, even inert stuff like quartz could give you silicosis (though practically speaking that's usually only an issue with dry cutting those big quartz countertops).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Soul Dentist posted:

No ethical production under capitalism, in my case.

Just buy gems manufactured in the USSR :ussr: