Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

:siren:NO SPOILERS.:siren:

The Yakuza series is a series of action games/JRPGs developed and published by SEGA that was born from series producer Toshihiro Nagoshi's desire to tell a story that would illustrate the way of life for the yakuza, Japan's organized crime syndicates. The games themselves feature a wonderful juxtaposition of a serious crime drama mixed with absurd, yet heartwarming side stories full of charm that also allow players to explore incredibly detailed cities and districts inspired by real life Japanese cities, such as the Kabuki-cho district of Shinjuku, Tokyo. This series is incredibly popular in its home country, but has only recently seen a spike in popularity overseas after a long history of mangled localization attempts.

This game is the sixth main series title in the franchise and is a prequel to the entire franchise, set 20 years before the main story of the first game. It was released to commemorate the 10th anniversary of the series, the game offers a look at how two of the most popular characters, long-time series protagonist Kazuma Kiryu and fan-favorite supporting character Goro Majima, in the series developed into their modern day versions. Kiryu is generally a very level headed character, but here, he's a much more brash and inexperienced child by comparison, for example. As a prequel, this game does not require any knowledge of any of its predecessors and serves as a fantastic starting point for the series; in fact, providing a new introduction to the franchise was one of the goals for this game, as the series was up to its fifth main series entry, which made it hard to attract new fans.

This will be an informative LP where I show off the main story and as much content as I can manage. I'm joined by my usual co-commentator sworn brother Jobbo_Fett. Let's try to keep things spoiler free; we may have come off an LP of Kiwami, but :siren:No spoilers:siren:, even for Kiwami. We have a lot of ground to cover here, so I'll try to put out two updates a week, but that's a pretty brisk pace, so I apologize in advance if I end up slipping from time to time.

Chapter 01 - Bound By Oath

Chapter 02 - The Real Estate Broker in the Shadows

Chapter 03 - A Gilded Cage

Chapter 04 - Proof of Resolve

Chapter 05 - An Honest Living

Chapter 06 - The Yakuza Way

Chapter 07 - A Dark Escape

Chapter 08 - Tug of War

Chapter 09 - Ensnared

Chapter 10 - A Man's Worth

Chapter 11 - A Murky Riverbed

Chapter 12 - Den of Desires

Chapter 13 - Crime and Punishment

Chapter 14 - Unwavering Bonds

Chapter 15 - Scattered Light

Chapter 16 - Proof of Love

Finale - Black and White

Premium Adventure

Hostess Training

Bonus
Star Citizen Free Fly - Please Give Me a Menu

Other Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio LPs we've done
Yakuza Kiwami
Judgment

ChaosArgate fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jul 28, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Reserved

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Jobbo and I are also doing an LP of Judgment that has also started this week, if anyone needs more RGG Studio in their life!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Woo!

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Ah, so Kiryu learned how to train his fighting style from a mysterious foreign stranger.

Smoky Bandana
Oct 1, 2009

You can trip on my synthesizer.
drat, I loved this game. Looking forward to vicariously seeing it for the first time again through Jobbo.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
In December 1988 the exchange rate was 123.63 yen to $1.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

ChaosArgate fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Jul 30, 2019

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

The uncut link doesn't work.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Xander77 posted:

The uncut link doesn't work.

:argh:

Should be good now.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Who'd have thought Hat Kid would grow into such a punchy young man after escaping the cat metro.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Now the uncut link leads to a 404 error. Had to watch it by clicking the cut one then going to the main YT page.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

VolticSurge posted:

Now the uncut link leads to a 404 error. Had to watch it by clicking the cut one then going to the main YT page.

Did you click the quoted link or Chaos' post?

They all seem fine to me, aside from the quote.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

VolticSurge posted:

Did you click the link in the quoted post? Because I can't do anything about quoted text. :v:

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Huh, works now. Don't know what the problem was earlier. :shrug:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Hey Argate, do you know about all the secret tricks to this game? Mainly just the Heat Action list if you hit triangle on the upgrade menu.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

Hey Argate, do you know about all the secret tricks to this game? Mainly just the Heat Action list if you hit triangle on the upgrade menu.

I know about the Heat Action list, but I'm sure there are many secrets to this game that I don't actually know.

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010
It never fails to weird me out that this game starts on my birthday. Somewhere around the time when Kiryu was partying with Nishiki and getting framed for murder, I was being born. :aaaaa:

Anyway, best of luck to you two kyodai sworn brothers partners in crime co-commentators as you juggle running a pair of LPs. RGG Studio puts out quality games, I'm always down for more time in Kamurocho.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

ChaosArgate posted:

I know about the Heat Action list, but I'm sure there are many secrets to this game that I don't actually know.

Faaaantastic. Because there are some rare ones that I wouldn't expect going into it.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Smoky Bandana
Oct 1, 2009

You can trip on my synthesizer.
This accountability poo poo always drives me up the wall. I see it a lot in Japanese media where someone apologises or has to 'take responsibility' for something they're only vaguely involved in just for appearances' sake.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Smoky Bandana posted:

This accountability poo poo always drives me up the wall. I see it a lot in Japanese media where someone apologises or has to 'take responsibility' for something they're only vaguely involved in just for appearances' sake.

This one at least makes sense. He was willing to take the fall at first but then people started being weird and shady about it and then it turns out that the guy died from getting shot so that definitely wasn't his fault.

And then once they start going after Shintaro Kazuma because of this, Kiryu starts desperately trying to dive in front of that bullet because Shintaro's awesome and if they're trying to undermine him then it can't be for any good reasons. Plus, if Shintaro gets dragged down because of this, so do Nishiki and Kashiwagi.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Viola the Mad posted:

It never fails to weird me out that this game starts on my birthday. Somewhere around the time when Kiryu was partying with Nishiki and getting framed for murder, I was being born. :aaaaa:

Anyway, best of luck to you two kyodai sworn brothers partners in crime co-commentators as you juggle running a pair of LPs. RGG Studio puts out quality games, I'm always down for more time in Kamurocho.

I think its about time I reveal that we are, indeed, sworn LP brothers.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Jobbo_Fett posted:

This is the part where you're supposed to dramatically tear off your jacket and shirt in one smooth motion and reveal your back tattoo!!!

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

ChaosArgate posted:

This is the part where you're supposed to dramatically tear off your jacket and shirt in one smooth motion and reveal your back tattoo!!!
It's his smiling Kane avatar, in Steve-O style.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
What caused the economic crisis was appreciation of the the yen relative to the American dollar after the signing of the Plaza Accord in 1985. It's why those ninjas kidnapped Ronald Reagan.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

ChaosArgate posted:

You might be shocked how decent Brawler is against Mr. Shakedown. It can actually block a hit, surprisingly! And the charge will never get through you if you're blocking. Same strategy, stay locked onto him, sidestep and go in for a short-to longer combo and back off.

Slimy Highschooler, Gang Goombah, Low-Level Yakuza. I feel like the localizers might not have been willing to put the effort in for one off side quest intros.

ChaosArgate posted:

C'mon Jobbo, you gotta get your top off so you and Argate can push your arms against each other and show how both halves of your tattooes look when it's complete!

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

RareAcumen posted:

You might be shocked how decent Brawler is against Mr. Shakedown. It can actually block a hit, surprisingly! And the charge will never get through you if you're blocking.
Depends on whether he's in heat mode and what type of charge (the arms open grab vs the arms in front of his face rush) he's doing.

Shakedown's go down easily to zip guns, but we're not quite able to get one yet.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
I beat my first Shakedown in Rush style. It took almost 30 minutes but was very satisfying. After that I usually went Brawler for the Heat moves.

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010

Jobbo_Fett posted:

ChaosArgate posted:

This better be heading towards some sort of emotional confrontation/heart-to-heart/shirtless fistfight over what it means to be a real LPer. I expect at least one heartfelt kyodai mixed in there.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Its not outside the realm of possibilities. Chaos needs to set up the Patreon for our live-action rendition of this game's story.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Who are the Dojima Lieutenants of the LP subforum?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

White Coke posted:

Who are the Dojima Lieutenants of the LP subforum?

I'm gonna say Fedule, Crow and Sally since they're the mods here.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Its not outside the realm of possibilities. Chaos needs to set up the Patreon for our live-action rendition of this game's story.

Hey, don't go spoiling the plans ahead of time!

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
I showed the Stop and Search Officer a weapon the second time we met, just to see what happened. Spoilers- Kiryu passes it off as a kinky item of some kind- he doesn't actually use it as a weapon or so he claims- and all is good. Surprised you didn't know, what with the title of your LP. Show it off if you have the ability. :)

The main sidequest shown off in this video cracked me up when I first played through it. Still chuckling about it today. It also gave me knowledge I did not have before. One of the more memorable and best written Yakuza substories in my opinion.

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010
Oh man, Yakuza substories. :allears: I think Nagoshi once said that the Yakuza series is about doing stupid things seriously. Over the years, this series has mastered the art of tonal whiplash by segregating the drama and the comedy into the main story and sidequests respectively, and Yakuza 0 is one of the best examples of that mastery.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010
I've been meaning to ask, are you always going to pick the "right" answer when you do the substories? The game doesn't really punish you for picking the wrong answer, and some of the wrong answers are hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Viola the Mad posted:

I've been meaning to ask, are you always going to pick the "right" answer when you do the substories? The game doesn't really punish you for picking the wrong answer, and some of the wrong answers are hilarious.

I won't always, especially when I know for sure its a dialogue choice that will repeat, but for the most part, yeah I try to stick to the "correct" answers most of the time.