Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

ChaosArgate posted:

I won't always, especially when I know for sure its a dialogue choice that will repeat, but for the most part, yeah I try to stick to the "correct" answers most of the time.

I hope you show the wrong options for the dominatrix sidequest!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

SSNeoman posted:

I hope you show the wrong options for the dominatrix sidequest!

I can already say I played that sidequest straight, but I keep rolling saves, so going back to that one and doing the wrong options should be trivial, so when I find some time, I can see about recording those.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Miss Tatsu- my favorite trainer in the game. :)

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010

ChaosArgate posted:

I can already say I played that sidequest straight, but I keep rolling saves, so going back to that one and doing the wrong options should be trivial, so when I find some time, I can see about recording those.

If you're taking requests, please please please Do The Hustle.

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
The beast style is one of my favorite fighting styles ever, and the fact that it comes with such a kickass theme helps.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Viola the Mad posted:

If you're taking requests, please please please Do The Hustle.

Anyone who doesn’t is a fool!

That said, I’m not taking requests because I already have so much of this game recorded that going back through save files to go substory hunting just isn’t going to be feasible.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Also, in related news:

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1166939444714164224

This dropped today! This seems like a strange pivot for the series, but I'm 100% unsurprised because, and I quote:

ChaosArgate, in the OP posted:

The Yakuza series is a series of action games/JRPGs developed and published by SEGA

This studio's done a lot of good in their niche over the years, as I've learned in the past two, so I'm excited to see them branch out into other genres!

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Stephen Spining looks like he belongs in one of those Gmod animations.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Just started watching this one, and some trivia for you: The pager code at the start isn't as arbitrary or secret as you surmise. It's goroawase, a way to represent Japanese syllables as numbers, basically a kind of primitive SMS speak. 7-2-4-10-6 translates straight up to na-ni-shi-te-ru ("What are you doing?"), based on how those numbers are pronounced. It was pretty common back then.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Huh, pretty smart and interesting!

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Ah, that makes sense! This is 100% a lost-in-translation thing then!

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
It shows up in all sorts of contexts, too. Maybe you've noticed Konami seems to have an obsession with the number 573? 5-7-3 = ko/go-na-mi. You know that guy Suda Gouichi, a.k.a. Suda51? 5-1 = go-ichi. The number 420 has a somewhat different connotation because 4-2-0 -> shi-tsu-rei, meaning "excuse me" (not literally, but it's the best way to translate it).

Also, have you ever heard of the card game Oicho-Kabu? You can play it in this series. Maybe you already have. The worst possible hand you can get in that game is an eight, a nine and a three. 8-9-3 = ya-ku-sa/za. That's literally the origin of the word "yakuza".

If you ever see a weird number in a piece of Japanese media, odds are it's some goroawase or another.

Hyper Crab Tank fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Sep 3, 2019

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

That's pretty cool, thanks for educating us!

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Oops this was meant to go up last night but I ended up being busy after doing a quickish stream.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
To be fair, if any of Ms. Tatsu's Targets had special gimmicks, I mostly didn't notice them because they died too fast to the overwhelming power of Beast Style! :black101:

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
The way to actually deal with Tatsu's gun training dummies (Which no one does because you can power through it) is to use a crate as a guard. Since you can move while guarding with a crate, and the bullets will damage them. You grab a big one, get close and just wail.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

You should've edited in some Life is Beautiful to fill up that fishing silence.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzvXBFwcyek

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.
Yeah, using the Guarded Charge we just got really helps get you through the more annoying sections where a marksman dummy is constantly taking potshots at you.

On the subject of Miss Tatsu's training though, I never had much of a use for the Tatsu Brand waters or the Tauriner line of medicines for that matter. Heat is pretty easy to build in this game, especially once you invest into skill trees. You're better off just filling up with Staminan and Toughness if you ask me.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Gotta be honest, this part I can take our leave. Gathering poo poo for the homeless dudes is so boring especially since we don't have the Judgment inventory system.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

I don't think I'll ever get used to seeing how much Oda looks like my last Dragon Age: Origins character from a few years ago. It's uncanny.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Trivia- the Tachibana were one of the richest and most influential families of the Japanese Sengoku historical period. Based out of Kyushu in the West, they served the Toyotomi Clan and fielded a lot of warriors. Famous members included Dosetsu, the head of the clan; his daughter Ginchiyo, a rare female warlord samurai; and her husband Muneshige, who was considered among the top level samurai in the west part of Japan at the time.

The Oda family was also a big deal in the Sengoku period. The warlord Nobunaga Oda started the period off by conquering much of Japan with ruthless tactics some believe were inspired by pacts with demons. He was one of the most feared men in Japanese history. That was until he was assassinated by one of his vassals. Another one, Hideyoshi Toyotomi, killed the traitor and then finished the job of conquering Japan. After his death, the remaining vassals squabbled over succession, and eventually Tokugawa came out on top and then ruled nearly 200 years.

Tojo is also a famous name in Japanese history, mainly for Hideki Tojo, the military dictator of Japan during World War 2.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

achtungnight posted:

Trivia- the Tachibana were one of the richest and most influential families of the Japanese Sengoku historical period. Based out of Kyushu in the West, they served the Toyotomi Clan and fielded a lot of warriors. Famous members included Dosetsu, the head of the clan; his daughter Ginchiyo, a rare female warlord samurai; and her husband Muneshige, who was considered among the top level samurai in the west part of Japan at the time.
Oh yes, Ginchiyo and Muneshige Tachibana, of Raikiri fame. Yes, those are very well-known and in fact near-mythological in modern Japanese folklore. Kind of how Charlemagne gets all kinds of stories told about his paladins. The pair is featured prominently in Nioh, the period Soulslike.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Oh man all that stuff's super interesting!

ChaosArgate fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Sep 14, 2019

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
Check your editing? Video from about 15:23 to 15:53 is repeated from earlier

edit: both versions.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Fish Noise posted:

Do you know from where its repeated? I'm looking at my timeline and it looks like one straight clip from 9:43 to 17:17.

Edit: wait I see it now, ok let me rerender this out.

ChaosArgate fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Sep 13, 2019

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Fish Noise posted:

Just pointed it out to Chaos, hopefully he'll get that resolved asap.

I blame myself and my LP curse.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
From about 14:10 halfway through Kiryu's "I was expelled, though. Got nothing to do with them now." to 14:43 with Oda putting the phone up to his ear.
This should demonstrate it.

Okay I just hit Preview Reply and see that this post is already moot but I already went through the trouble of picking out times to put into doubler SO IT'S GOING UP ANYWAYS.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Alright the fixed version is uploading now, I'll try to get this up in the morning. Sorry about the weirdness!

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

It's OK. GPU acceleration didn't exist in the 80s, weird doubling up on video editing is a good alternative.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Ok the fixed version should be up now, hopefully this won't happen again. It's super weird, I checked my timeline and its just one unbroken clip from well before and well after the affected area, and neither Jobbo or I noticed anything with the commentary version of the video, so something got weird in the encode.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010
:swoon: IT'S HIM! IT'S YA BOY!! :swoon:

Chapter 3 is easily one of the best introductions in a Yakuza game. I first saw this part in voiceofdog's stream of Yakuza 0, and I'll never forget how rapidly the chat went from :syoon: to :smith: when Sagawa appeared.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Majima’s dressing down that drunk customer is one of the best badass manager moments I’ve seen in any club, fictional or real.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Man, a role where you can't act like a complete loving lunatic really is an ingenious punishment for Majima.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

paragon1 posted:

Man, a role where you can't act like a complete loving lunatic really is an ingenious punishment for Majima.

We're a bit off from loving lunatic Majima. Consider this game a story of "How Majima became unhinged"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010

paragon1 posted:

1980s Majima is a different fella from regular Majima.

For one thing, he has better hair.