Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
If you're coming from one of the earlier games or remakes, like Kiwami 1 or 2, then this version of Majima has to be pretty jarring, huh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoky Bandana
Oct 1, 2009

You can trip on my synthesizer.

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

If you're coming from one of the earlier games or remakes, like Kiwami 1 or 2, then this version of Majima has to be pretty jarring, huh.

Gotta say I much prefer him in this one.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Smoky Bandana posted:

Gotta say I much prefer him in this one.

I'm of the opinion that he's 100% consistent through and through, but that's going to be a discussion for way, _waaay_ down the line.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Sadly Majima doesn’t have any special moves involving giant traffic cones in this game. :(

I look forward to your character discussion of him, Chaos. Glad to know I’m not alone with my opinion.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

The quickest thing I could find for Majima's throw is Rey Mysterio's West Coast Pop, except backwards?

Also kinda like a Victory Roll from the Electric Chair position but there's a bunch more sideways motion to it? I dunno.

hooray wrestling

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

If I were a wrestling announcer, I'd call that a headscissor takedown from the electric chair position.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

ChaosArgate posted:

also this dude
Jobbo it's your next avatar

Jobbo posted:

Guys could never do this, "Ah I'm looking to get Cyberpunk 2077 but none of my customers wanna buy it for me. Maybe you'd like to become a new regular?"
Isn't this exactly how influencers and a lot of streamers/youtubers work?

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010

ChaosArgate posted:

I'm of the opinion that he's 100% consistent through and through, but that's going to be a discussion for way, _waaay_ down the line.

I'm gonna hold you to that discussion when we reach the right time (say, oh, a year from now). Majima is one of the most fascinating characters in the series for reasons that have nothing to do with his traffic cone antics.

edit: Scott Strichart wasn't on the team that redid the Yakuza 3 translation, but I'm pretty sure that's the first time he hasn't translated most/all of Majima's dialogue. He tweeted about it!

Viola the Mad fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Sep 20, 2019

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I also have many opinions about Majima. He is very much the opposite of Kiryu in many respects but it's worth talking about once we've hit the end of the game.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

I'm catching up on the earlier episodes, and apparently Sega has fixed the arcade games on the PC version at some point? They always played fine, but at launch they looked horribly blurry due to a forced bilinear upscaling filter that wasn't on the PS4 version.

edit: oh hey, you picked the correct music for OutRun! Also, on the modern re-releases you can put the difficulty on Very Easy (which was also the case on the Genesis port) and never have to worry about running out of time unless you smash your face into every big rig on the road.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Sep 21, 2019

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Doc M posted:

I'm catching up on the earlier episodes, and apparently Sega has fixed the arcade games on the PC version at some point? They always played fine, but at launch they looked horribly blurry due to a forced bilinear upscaling filter that wasn't on the PS4 version.

edit: oh hey, you picked the correct music for OutRun! Also, on the modern re-releases you can put the difficulty on Very Easy (which was also the case on the Genesis port) and never have to worry about running out of time unless you smash your face into every big rig on the road.

Did they fix autofire to actually be autofire and not slowly pressing the trigger? Because I have near broken my fingers in Space Harrier.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

I have no idea, I just noticed the visuals looked really sharp in the videos. :v:

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.
OutRun on the PS4 version doesn’t have a difficulty toggle as far as I’m aware, and that can make it pretty rough to play. The checkpoints are spaced out to the point where if you wipe out once or twice, you probably won’t have time to make it.

Also, and this is kind of weird, the PS4 version uses the recording-blocking feature for the arcade challenges and ONLY for them. It’s such a weirdly specific thing to block when everything else seems to be fair game, including all the story cutscenes.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Blastinus posted:

OutRun on the PS4 version doesn’t have a difficulty toggle as far as I’m aware, and that can make it pretty rough to play.
Neither does the PC version. I was talking about the 3DS (and Switch?) standalone release of OutRun, which does let you toggle the difficulty.

I can usually hit 5 million points on Yakuza 0 OutRun without too much trouble and even got to the end once, although sometimes the traffic just fucks me over or I screw up in general. On the flip side, I am completely useless at Space Harrier.

edit: Is it just me, or is the bitrate on the latest episode noticeably lower than on previous videos? There seems to be more (and bigger) compression artifacts going on, and it really sticks out on a 4K screen. The earlier videos had noticeable compression as well, but not nearly to this extent.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Sep 22, 2019

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Re: Space Harrier chat, I think the version in Y0 has autofire but don't quote me on that, its been a while since I booted Space Harrier in Y0.

Doc M posted:

Neither does the PC version. I was talking about the 3DS (and Switch?) standalone release of OutRun, which does let you toggle the difficulty.

I can usually hit 5 million points on Yakuza 0 OutRun without too much trouble and even got to the end once, although sometimes the traffic just fucks me over or I screw up in general. On the flip side, I am completely useless at Space Harrier.

edit: Is it just me, or is the bitrate on the latest episode noticeably lower than on previous videos? There seems to be more (and bigger) compression artifacts going on, and it really sticks out on a 4K screen. The earlier videos had noticeable compression as well, but not nearly to this extent.

I'm gonna say that might be YouTube? I can up the bitrate I've been rendering at, which is around 12 mbps, which is roughly what I think YouTube goes with for 1080p.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I have failed Fei Hu’s training and yeah, you gotta repeat it. He doesn’t heal you either. :(

Plenty of businesses that are in almost every Yakuza game and therefore sustainable- Poppo, Don Quixote, Le March’s, Ebisu Pawn, Kanrai, Cafe Alps, Stardust Host Club, Earth Angel, Shellac, Club Sega...

Also, at least one of Fei Hu's agents is a cameo from future games. The big guy in a gray shirt and backpack, name begins with a K, is a weapons dealer in Yakuza 3, 4, 5, and Dead Souls. But yeah, Fei Hu really needs to remember the eggs!

achtungnight fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Sep 24, 2019

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Fei Hu's training was always the part of the game that were the toughest combat wise for me.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

ChaosArgate posted:

I'm gonna say that might be YouTube? I can up the bitrate I've been rendering at, which is around 12 mbps, which is roughly what I think YouTube goes with for 1080p.
Yeah, that sounds like YouTube compression at work.

12 Mbps should be more than good enough (it's the bitrate I use for my 1440p videos at the moment because you can barely tell the difference between that and the recommended 16 Mbps), but in practice it doesn't work that way on YouTube. Whenever I upload anything at 1080p, the YT compression process turns the video into mush regardless of the actual bitrate or how the source video looks on my computer. YouTube recommends 8-12 Mbps for 1080p, but it doesn't matter much because the end result usually looks more like half of that at most during fast-moving scenes. That's why I render all of my videos at 1440p or 4K now even if the raw footage is only 1080p (I'm not saying you should that, it just works for me :v:).

Weird that I didn't notice the issue as much in the earlier videos, though. Maybe I just wasn't paying attention.

edit: The newest video looks fine, so I'm not sure what was going on with the last one.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Sep 24, 2019

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Having a bit of a rough night so video’ll go up tomorrow.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

ChaosArgate fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Sep 28, 2019

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

I think something went wrong with your upload, the video's only 7:35 long.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

It also cuts out mid-sentence.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Ok what the gently caress. :argh:

I just checked my exported file, it’s 24ish min. I have no clue how this ended up so truncated. I’ll resolve this when I get home.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
clearly it's the Jobbo touch at work again

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Ok I reuploaded it. I have no idea why the original upload stopped at like 7 and a half minutes in.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Glad the video's fixed. I was surprised too.

The doll girl substory was cute. I laughed at the jacket one.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Fish Noise posted:

clearly it's the Jobbo touch at work again

:kheldragar:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
How do you beat up a statue?

Sledgehammers are usually pretty effective. Drills too. And you can also push one down a flight of stairs. If you're not strong enough or a flight of stairs isn't conveniently close by, get some friends and a pickup truck to help.

Have I tested this? Well, vandalism is illegal, so I take the 5th.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
I've seen the tapes from ex-communist countries in the 90s. They taught me everything I know about the statues limitations

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Are you sure you've been to the Netherlands? Manneken Pis is Belgian, not Dutch.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
I have, and I didn't see any statues in the red light district.

To be fair i also spent time in belgium and they blend together so well

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

You figuratively beat up a statue by making another statue that's punching it in the face.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

6%? No wonder the US has no money to maintain its infrastructure. 13%? You guys are being spoiled. Try 21% sales tax on for size. Though it's only 9% for food and certain other products and services (used to be 19 and 6, respectively but got hiked :saddowns:).

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Honestly, I'd be fine with it if the rich and corporations got taxed as much, if not more.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

They don't because we're a loving tax haven. :eng99:
And it's not even like our own corporations are profiting from it either, unless they're multinational.

But people got angry enough after the whole dividends tax fiasco* that now they're maybe looking at taxing multinationals after all (spoilers: they won't get taxed nearly enough).

*Shell, AkzoNobel and Unilever bribed lobbied the ruling party to get rid of the dividends tax, in return Unilever would keep its HQ in the Netherlands. Literally all of everyone was against it, it would literally cost the state 1.4 billion Euros a year and it was extremely obvious that it was solely for the benefit of multinationals and these three companies, especially Unilever.
Our prime minister kept insisting it was not at all like this and that it would instead boost the economy by attracting multinationals that would otherwise never consider our country (even though every other country has dividends tax). And that no matter the decision of where Unilever would put its HQ, the tax would be scrapped.

Then the UK part of Unilever decided "naw, we're putting our HQ in the UK." And all of a sudden the PM was "re-evaluating" the previously set-in-stone change, eventually cancelling it.

Geemer fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Oct 8, 2019

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Geemer posted:

They don't because we're a loving tax haven. :eng99:
And it's not even like our own corporations are profiting from it either, unless they're multinational.

But people got angry enough after the whole dividends tax fiasco* that now they're maybe looking at taxing multinationals after all (spoilers: they won't get taxed nearly enough).

*Shell, AkzoNobel and Unilever bribed lobbied the ruling party to get rid of the dividends tax, in return Unilever would keep its HQ in the Netherlands. Literally all of everyone was against it, it would literally cost the state 1.4 billion Euros a year and it was extremely obvious that it was solely for the benefit of multinationals and these three companies, especially Unilever.
Our prime minister kept insisting it was not at all like this and that it would instead boost the economy by attracting multinationals that would otherwise never consider our country (even though every other country has dividends tax). And that no matter the decision of where Unilever would put its HQ, the tax would be scrapped.

Then the UK part of Unilever decided "naw, we're putting our HQ in the UK." And all of a sudden the PM was "re-evaluating" the previously set-in-stone change, eventually cancelling it.

It sounds so much like the Amazon HQ moving to New York bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012