Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
I was disappointed you couldn't challenge Majima's Mr. Shakedowns as Kiryu (or vice versa). Considering they have the same movesets, though, I guess it's no big deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Oda May be a minor character in the overall game, and his boss fight was long ago. But the scenes he had in today’s video make him very memorable.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Around this point of the game I had so much money and so little to spend it on, I was gratified by hearing Mr. Shakedown wanted to train in outer space. I kept losing to him on purpose just to fund his Kickstarter and send him into orbit. Wonder if I was the only one.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

I noticed that the disco minigame has the NPC's controls showing keyboard keys. Does this mean you could play disco against a friend? (Or go nuts and play both sides at the same time?)

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Geemer posted:

I noticed that the disco minigame has the NPC's controls showing keyboard keys. Does this mean you could play disco against a friend? (Or go nuts and play both sides at the same time?)

There is two player Disco! From the title screen, you could choose to play two player minigames, which also includes Darts, Bowling and I think Pool?

achtungnight posted:

Around this point of the game I had so much money and so little to spend it on, I was gratified by hearing Mr. Shakedown wanted to train in outer space. I kept losing to him on purpose just to fund his Kickstarter and send him into orbit. Wonder if I was the only one.

I wanna see him train in space, but I'm not prepared to bankroll that.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
You know Mr Argate, in general for Let's Players, the rule of thumb is to read through the text twice before clicking next to make sure people will be able to keep up, but in your case, I wish you would at least read through it once...

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Thesaya posted:

You know Mr Argate, in general for Let's Players, the rule of thumb is to read through the text twice before clicking next to make sure people will be able to keep up, but in your case, I wish you would at least read through it once...

Wait what part did I skip through

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
I love how both Majima and Kiryu assume their gold statues of themselves aren't tacky or tasteless at all.

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

You'd think Kiryu would take the money that he got from Real Estate and bribe the Dojima family into backing off.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

AnAnonymousIdiot posted:

You'd think Kiryu would take the money that he got from Real Estate and bribe the Dojima family into backing off.

That'll just paint an even bigger target on Kiryu's back for extortion, honestly.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Weird static / scraping noise starting around 5:48, in the uncut video? E: Ends somewhat before the 7 minute mark, didn't hear any the rest of the video.

Fantastic Foreskin fucked around with this message at 23:53 on May 28, 2020

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.

ChaosArgate posted:

Wait what part did I skip through

After the club challenge, talking with the guy you defeated.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Just a heads up on this one, there's a graphic torture sequence from 15:21 to 18:25.

Some Goon posted:

Weird static / scraping noise starting around 5:48, in the uncut video? E: Ends somewhat before the 7 minute mark, didn't hear any the rest of the video.

Whoops, thought I hit delete on that waveform. I'll see about uploading a fixed cut when I get some time.

Thesaya posted:

After the club challenge, talking with the guy you defeated.

Ah, I thought I was going slow during that take. I read kind of fast, so trying to find the right balance for leaving a text box on screen can be kinda tough.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Fun fact- the guy who helps Kuze torture Tachibana and commits a serious blunder is the same guy who Kiryu fought several times throughout the first long battle sequence way back in Chapter 1. He came at us with a knife, ashtray, and other items- ultimately we chucked him out a four story bathroom window. I was kinda surprised we saw him again and didn't get another chance to beat him up.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.

ChaosArgate posted:

Ah, I thought I was going slow during that take. I read kind of fast, so trying to find the right balance for leaving a text box on screen can be kinda tough.

I actually read fast myself, but I watch uncut, so it takes a bit longer to read as well. Actually, some of the time, I play the cutscenes again to listen to the conversation more closely, if you are talking about something interesting. :)

If you read fast, maybe try reading through the text thrice before clicking next? I get that that could get really boring as a player though, it's just a thought.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Thesaya posted:

I actually read fast myself, but I watch uncut, so it takes a bit longer to read as well. Actually, some of the time, I play the cutscenes again to listen to the conversation more closely, if you are talking about something interesting. :)

If you read fast, maybe try reading through the text thrice before clicking next? I get that that could get really boring as a player though, it's just a thought.

That bit was recorded relatively early on for this LP so I like to think I got better about leaving text on for longer as I went though. :shobon:

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
I like that even though he doesn't say or do anything, you can tell Majima's absolutely not okay with this new development.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I really don't care for seafood, but man takoyaki looks so, so good.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

I can't believe this never got posted in this thread:
https://twitter.com/YakuzaFriday/status/1271537038203015169

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Takoyaki kicks all kinds of rear end
And now Makoto is pretty much forcing Majima into being her assassin

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Geemer posted:

I can't believe this never got posted in this thread:
https://twitter.com/YakuzaFriday/status/1271537038203015169

How did you find this clip of me and jobbo

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Mad Dog Majobbo and Kiryu Chaosama

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
So, I mentioned way earlier in this thread that there's interesting parallels between Majima and Kiryu that you can't really go into until the game is almost over. But nows about where we can, and it's Motivation.

Majima wants only one thing at the start of the game, he wants to be back in the Yakuza, he claims he'll do anything to achieve that, but when confronted with the reality, he finds he can't, as he tries to make decisions for himself and find actualization, at each turn he finds himself betrayed not just literally, but emotionally. By this point in the story, he doesn't give a gently caress about the Yakzua anymore, he doesn't care about anything but Makoto, but even those feelings were a ploy from Shimano to manipulate the both of them. The physical torture he suffered in the Pit doesn't even compare to the fact that now his emotions are being toyed with.

Kiryu, in contrast, is only reaffirmed and strengthened by the hardships he faces. Being betrayed by the Yakuza and Oda, Nishiki confronting him, even his failure to save Tachibana. It's not that it doesn't affect him, but it fuels his desire to seek the truth and destroy evil, a darkly humorous position for someone who wants to be a Yakuza. He very much represents a stoic kind of hero that was more popular in the 70's and 80's in Japan, a Kenshiro or a Jotaro. A figure who doesn't lack for personality and care, but for whom the evil of the world cannot crush or break. It doesn't matter if he's been wounded and betrayed, or if he's been threatened. From telling Kuze that he will bury the Tojo clan himself, to his unwavering trust in Tachibana and Nishiki, Kiryu's won't stop being who he is.

At the end of the day, Majima basically has the only thing he wanted, and it's destroyed him, to the point that it can never make him happy.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Kuze takes his repeated beatings by Kiryu very well, I like that. So many games like to have a recurring boss like this go all "ahaha, you didn't ACTUALLY beat me I'm just letting you go for now!"

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Kuze's a tough guy. After this fight he admits (to himself) Kiryu is a tougher guy; he knows he'll never win and he respects that. He also doesn't want Shibusawa to succeed, so they're more-or-less on the same side here, after the ego-duel is taken care of.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Hey, so I'm sure you folks have noticed that the forums are currently on fire; and for good reason. I have no intention to continue to support a community where the keys are held by an awful, awful person, but I also don't want to leave the viewers of this thread out in the dark, especially since we're more or less done with the main story. I'll continue to post updates here until we're truly done with the LPs, but after that, if things haven't changed, whatever we do next will not be here on SA.

If you wish to completely disengage with SA in general and want to keep up with this LP community, you may want to join the LP Discord Channel. You can also follow us on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube if you want to keep up with anything we're up to in general, be it LP updates or other projects.

Whatever happens, its been a fun ride, thanks for sticking with us this far, and believe women.

ChaosArgate:
Twitter
YouTube

Jobbo_Fett:
Twitter
YouTube

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

As mentioned before, this LP will continue here on SA because we're close enough to the end, but I have moved the thread over to the new LP Beach, a new forum spun up by members of the SA LP community. You can find the new Yakuza 0 LP thread here.

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

You gotta wonder if Dojima or Kazama just brought Kuze on as the new muscle just to replace Awano, when the latter changed his policies.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
As we can see, in the end, Majima got everything he wanted at the start of the story, and by the end of it, he doesn't want it anymore, the price was in fact, too high for him to pay. He was played a puppet by all involved, in the end, he isn't even allowed to kill Dojima and achieve the pleasure of revenge. Kiryu however, is back to where he was, he had an 'out' to the yakuza business, got to live on both the side of the devils and the angels and in the end, he's going to forge his own path through everything.

This game is amazing.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012