Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

We don't have one, so now we do.

Notable training camp holdouts as of July 26th:

Jadeveon Clowney - DE - Houston Texans

Melvin Gordon - RB - San Diego Los Angeles Chargers

Yannick Ngakoue - DE - Jacksonville Jaguars

Michael Thomas - WR - New Orleans Saints

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1156543156294475777
:10bux:

Trent Williams - OT - Washington Racial Slurs

Chris Jones - DE - Kansas City Chiefs

:frogsiren: Hold out ended 7/27

Notable Injuries as of July 26th:

:rip: ACLs for the ACL god :rip:
Corey Coleman - WR - NYG

Current absurd Instgram/Twitter video the day/week:

Kthxbai

waah fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jul 31, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Chris Jones is holding out. Notable since he set a sack record his second year and is now attempting to start a new trend of getting paid a year earlier than anyone usually does. He has no leverage but the league is certainly waiting and watching to see what happens.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
The CBA being renegotiated next year might play into it. If he wants to really rake in the cash he needs to perform at a high level again this year. One year of good work doesn't get anything.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcfVKgN4Bb0

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
https://twitter.com/MySportsUpdate/status/1154773419516485632?s=19

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I love the Preseason Torn-ACL Roulette Wheel.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

That's not really the biggest loss in the world. Also apparently Sterling Shepard fractured his thumb yesterday.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

The only question around the Giants this year is "Does Jones play enough for them to realize how much he sucks so they hire a real GM who drafts Tua or Fromm?...."

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

That's not really the biggest loss in the world. Also apparently Sterling Shepard fractured his thumb yesterday.

Is that like a budget JPP halloween costume or something?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

I guess he and Edelman were hanging out.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Is Daniel Jones the new Curtis Painter?

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Feels like the first time in a long time the Seahawks didn't have a notable camp holdout.

Edit: Bobby Wagner is at practice but isn't practicing (he's not injured). Seems to think he won't practice till he gets his deal.

seiferguy fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jul 26, 2019

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Is Daniel Jones the new Curtis Painter?

More like is Daniel Jones the new Josh Rosen (he is).

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
or is Josh Rosen the old Daniel Jones

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
"It doesn't come up enough that the competition committee cares" Al Riveron re: fumble through the endzone

Hearing him describe the replay changes is still madness

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.
I went to Dolphins camp yesterday and it was very hot.

It was probably just an install day thing, but the Dolphins starting defensive unit against basically every offensive package was the 4-3 Even that the Patriots famously used in the Super Bowl, with Minkah Fitzpatrick playing that "star" position that he played in Alabama.

Also Christian Wilkins got some snaps at fullback.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
https://twitter.com/MySportsUpdate/status/1154812813996646405?s=20

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Noooooooooooo the Panthers play the Slurs from the NFC East this year instead of the Giants.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Genius analysis here.

https://twitter.com/joshkurelac/status/1154433372204281856?s=21

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Winning 10 games is...good? Big if true.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Catfish Noodlin posted:

I went to Dolphins camp yesterday and it was very hot.

It was probably just an install day thing, but the Dolphins starting defensive unit against basically every offensive package was the 4-3 Even that the Patriots famously used in the Super Bowl, with Minkah Fitzpatrick playing that "star" position that he played in Alabama.

Also Christian Wilkins got some snaps at fullback.

did you get to watch people have to run and touch that sign whenever they make a mistake?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I’m going to try and make it to the Cardinals full team scrimmage on August 3rd.

I’m just a hair under 6’6”.

I will try to get a photo with Kyler Murray just so we can find out if that 5’10” he’s billed as is legit.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Docjowles posted:

Winning 10 games is...good? Big if true.

I was going to say, winning 10 games and NOT making the playoffs is usually the outlier.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/eric_d_williams/status/1154815786046722054?s=19

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Well that didn't last long:

https://twitter.com/TerezPaylor/status/1154811934996357120

Not surprised, he has zero leverage. Sucks for him though.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Ches Neckbeard posted:

"It doesn't come up enough that the competition committee cares" Al Riveron re: fumble through the endzone

Hearing him describe the replay changes is still madness

Don't they dare loving change that rule! They've already sold out the defense in every other way, and those plays are incredible turnarounds that make for tons of great drama on game day.

Gonz posted:

I’m going to try and make it to the Cardinals full team scrimmage on August 3rd.

I’m just a hair under 6’6”.

I will try to get a photo with Kyler Murray just so we can find out if that 5’10” he’s billed as is legit.

we will await the results of your intrepid reporting. If you fail to get a picture next to him, just get a picture of him period and then we can argue about how tall the trash can next to him is and then extrapolate his height using advanced calculations

Grittybeard posted:

Well that didn't last long:

https://twitter.com/TerezPaylor/status/1154811934996357120

Not surprised, he has zero leverage. Sucks for him though.

I actually thought he did have leverage and might've gotten a bit of money if he stuck to it. The Chiefs really aren't deep enough at that position to not have him, and given that they're contenders on a supposed Super Bowl run they wouldn't want one issue like that to prevent them from being the best possible team

But it's hard to hold your nerve in that situation, where not only will you not be paid but you'll be fined significant amounts of money

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Play posted:

But it's hard to hold your nerve in that situation, where not only will you not be paid but you'll be fined significant amounts of money

I'd have to look it up again but he could theoretically get fined most of his salary by like August 5th if he didn't show up. Something about the rookie scale, or maybe it's just normal and because he's making jack poo poo this year it ends up being 80% of his salary or something.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Grittybeard posted:

I'd have to look it up again but he could theoretically get fined most of his salary by like August 5th if he didn't show up. Something about the rookie scale, or maybe it's just normal and because he's making jack poo poo this year it ends up being 80% of his salary or something.

Yeah I'm not sure of the rules that govern that and how they determine the fines. It may be just a flat fine but like you said on the rookie scale that could mean everything depending on where you were drafted

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/MySportsUpdate/status/1154841475324305408?s=19

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Play posted:

Don't they dare loving change that rule! They've already sold out the defense in every other way, and those plays are incredible turnarounds that make for tons of great drama on game day.

they're loving awful and I will fight you

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
The NFL refuses to get in front of obviously dumb things happening and it's going to be hilarious when a team gets dicked out of a playoff game because of it.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

they're loving awful and I will fight you

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

If Jones hadn't shown up by August 6th he would have had to forfeit a whole year of eligibility towards free agency. He had no leverage.

That said they are claiming they're hammering out the details of a new contract.

But

https://twitter.com/jeffrichadiha/s...4133%26page%3D4

This is interesting because there are positives and negatives no matter what direction they go. If they give Jones a new contract they will save money by getting it done now instead of next year.

It's also a poo poo load of money they're investing in the defensive line and the Mahomes contract is just waiting out there, pulling things into its gravity and burning them up.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

kiimo posted:

If Jones hadn't shown up by August 6th he would have had to forfeit a whole year of eligibility towards free agency. He had no leverage.

Leverage isn't about what will happen to you, it's about what will happen to the team without you. If they really believe you'll do it (and you have to be prepared for that, or at least trick them into thinking you're prepared for that) then that's what they'll be thinking about when considering whether to give out a new contract.

Seems like the Chiefs actually are concerned at least a little bit with keeping him happy because they don't even have to consider a new contract at all.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
If he plays out of his mind again this year, sure, pay the man he's earned it. I can't see all-star pro-bowl free agent money for having a good second year of your rookie contract.

I support players needling for every dime they can get but getting it requires 1) leverage and 2) proof you didn't only have one good year in you.

This is especially true to the Chiefs who just paid Eric Berry tens of millions of dollars to play one full game in two seasons.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

If I were them I'd throw him a few extra millions this year under the explicit understanding that next season he'll get the big contract if he performs up to standard.

Although giving him a smaller deal right now is also a viable strategy, depending on how confident they are that he'll be healthy and good for a few years.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1154847230500716544

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Play posted:

just get a picture of him period and then we can argue about how tall the trash can next to him is and then extrapolate his height using advanced calculations

I’ll try, but I think Ryan Lindley is in Ohio right now. That might be difficult.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
They don't need to do either of those things. He's just now entering the third year of his rookie contract. Between this year and next is when he gets paid if the performance is still good.

He's demanding franchise dollars after one good year on a rookie contract. He doesn't have near the leverage to do that. He'd barely have the leverage if the Chiefs' league-leading defense won them the SB last year.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Ches Neckbeard posted:

The NFL refuses to get in front of obviously dumb things happening and it's going to be hilarious when a team gets dicked out of a playoff game because of it.

It will be hilarious. Hilariously awesome

Turnovers are the best part of this game, period. And to go from the highest highs of being nearly at the goal line and scoring a touchdown to the lowest lows of your opponent suddenly having the ball at the 20 yard line is.... *kisses fingers* . . . one of the most beautiful things you'll ever see

Strobe posted:

They don't need to do either of those things. He's just now entering the third year of his rookie contract. Between this year and next is when he gets paid if the performance is still good.

He's demanding franchise dollars after one good year on a rookie contract. He doesn't have near the leverage to do that. He'd barely have the leverage if the Chiefs' league-leading defense won them the SB last year.

Teams don't need to do a lot of things, but there is still value is keeping your good players happy and content to play for you. Throwing him some extra money this year wouldn't hurt them at all besides a tiny fraction of their vast wealth going away, and it could end up helping a lot. Granted, it could also hurt them in the long run because it's not a precedent they want to set.

Why do you think, according to that source, they're offering him a Grady Jarrett-style contract?

Also, if he was a small part of a good defense he'd have LESS leverage. He's actually a large part of a lovely defense who would have a good deal of trouble replacing him and is a team that wants to go the super bowl this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Strobe posted:

This is especially true to the Chiefs who just paid Eric Berry tens of millions of dollars to play one full game in two seasons.

Berry kinda did prove himself before he got that contract, he just ran into a very angry and vengeful god of Achilles tendons.

Also this is Jones' fourth and final year of his rookie contract for the record, the team holds two more years of control after this one if they want to because the NFLPA is bad at its job.