Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I enjoyed all of it but everything involving the deep after the big MeToo moment was pointless, especially the gill rape scene, that was all pretty dumb and missed out on everything that made the original dynamic between the Deep and Starlight to be rapey. Why wouldn't he just tell that girl to gently caress off? Annie was scared into believing he'll ruin her career if she didn't comply, what stopped him from just going 'yikes, no thanks'?. It was a pretty forced 'walk a mile in her shoes' thingy, and it really wasn't interesting, his story wasn't interesting on it own.

I assumed that he was gonna tell her to gently caress off and she would go "nope, cause if I tell everyone the known supe rapist raped me everyone will believe me"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

bring back old gbs posted:

I'm curious if the powers are a crapshoot, or if they're manipulated. Do you roll the dice and maybe get a superspeed baby, or laser eye baby? but also it might just have porcupine skin or emit poisonous gas? Do they have formulas?

In the comics its a total crap shoot and unless your V is premium grade poo poo you may get nothing at all. The Boys have access to the good stuff that just gives them pure super strength/durability thing.

Also I always got the sense that in the comics none of the low grade supes outside the seven are a real physical threat to the boys since they're portrayed as idiots who are despite the powers are inexperienced in a street fight.

End of season spoilers

I feel like theyre burning through potential plotlines pretty fast. One thing I liked in the comics is how the Boys and the Seven are pretty much in a state of cold war for much of it where neither can move against the other. So theres a lot of time to fulfill the core premise of The Boys wailing on smaller teams while the other stuff builds.

But by the end of this season it feels like they've moved into endgame stuff pretty quick, Hughies realised Butcher is a psycho, Starlight has turned on voight, Homelanders completely off the rails already etc.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Jul 30, 2019

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

jerry seinfel posted:

When Hughie gave water to Transluscent I was like, come on dude he'll at least die on 3 days if you don't give him anything to drink.

They don’t have that long if vaught is looking for him though.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

That whole plotline is a bit of a missed opportunity for me, I would have liked the show to continue with some plots where the non-superpowered characters to come up with inventive ways to off supes. Its not really clear the Boys have much competence other than their massive nuts in even attempting it.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jul 30, 2019

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

kanonvandekempen posted:

In the interview they say they didn't want the Jack from Jupiter character in the Seven because they wanted to keep it grounded, but I'm pretty sure he was just a normal guy who could make his skin impervious (like translucent), him going yellow was a side-effect of that, and that's what made Vought come up with the alien backstory.

I think they're trying to keep Vaughts cover origins for supes "grounded". The official backstory line from Vaught in the show is that supes are just born out of nowhere like the X-men, or gifted from god or whatever. Saying "and this guys an alien!" screws that up a bit and raises all sorts of questions (why is the first alien in human history punching bank robbers and not ambassador to Jupiter then?)

Although I reckon it could have worked if they'd just leaned into how ridiculous a cover it is and that no one really buys it, like pro wrestlers.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Jul 31, 2019

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

It’s been years since I read Transmetropolitan but I remember how every street corner had what are basically livestreamers begging for shares on it on another bang on prediction.

Zwabu posted:

I thought this was one of the best things I've seen yet streaming, possibly the best in terms of a streaming service series. I can only hope that they maintain the quality. The cast is top notch but especially the guy playing Homelander, and Karl Urban.

I know they're not exactly bound to the comics, but does the story line come to some kind of conclusion there?

I did consider The Captain's ability to be a bit... problematic. Hopefully spawning supervillains will lead to the destruction of Homelander and The Seven by those supervillains.

Not spoiling much to say that the twist at the end of season 1 has set the show on a completely different path from the comics since it didn’t happen there.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Owlbear Camus posted:

Any intelligence agency worth a fart would have moved heaven and earth to recruit translucent or dopelganger.

The problem is Translucent is completely unstable and untrustworthy.

A regular, well trained and loyal spy with some electronic recording equipment can do a better job of surveillance than a naked lunatic.

The same is true for a lot of the supes, you could have a howitzer in human form (and severe emotional issues) or you could just...train a regular crew to use a howitzer

massive spider fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Aug 6, 2019

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

McSpanky posted:

I think the unspoken caveat here is that the government/military would have gotten them before they became power-drunk unstable assholes and such.

Yeah but that relies on them being able to reliably raise them to behave and play nice, which is exactly what Vaught tried to do with Homelander and look how that turned out.

How many people in 1000 people have the personality to be a decentl spy? its the kind of role you really need to choose yourself.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Straight White Shark posted:

Lamplighter is definitely in the show, it's repeatedly mentioned that he's just retired. IIRC that's why there's an opening for Starlight to join.

I don't think he's ever actually seen post-retirement, so who knows what his "retirement" might be covering up.

Comics spoiler He was handed over to the boys as a peace offering and Mallory shot him in the head. its possible to resurrect a dead supe with a blast of compound V but they come back drooling and braindead.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

OG stormfront is a Thor/Shazam expy on The Boys Avengers spoof team so genderswapping them makes me wonder if they're a Captain Marvel now.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Bust Rodd posted:

You have to remember that not everyone spends all day, every day, online talking about politics and fascism and the alt-right. Fascism doesn’t immediately spring to everyone’s minds whenever an evil blonde man is talking.

Bad guy in cinema or TV = nazi imagery isnt a big leap for even the most politics averse watcher.

The Avengers even had a cringy line where loki gets called a literally Hitler.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Collateral posted:

"The Bloody Doors Off"

A quote from The Italian Job, so a heist, with explosives or an explosive supe.

its one of the chapter titles from the comic, as are most of the episode titles.

Spoiler from the comic

It centres around a bioweapon that causes supes to explode violently

massive spider fucked around with this message at 22:38 on May 1, 2020

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

The point there seems to be being performatively woke isn’t the same thing as actually doing anything about your privilege, which isn’t exactly wrong. Although in practice it’s the kind of take that often leads to circular firing squads as everyone accuses each other of being the performative one.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

One thing I don't like in the show is how The Boys themselves dont really seem to be much of a driving force. In the comic they were superpowered and could stomp most superheroes easy when caught unawares, the shows version of having them be 4/5 human could potentially create a lot more in the way of fun schemes to compensate for their lack of powers, but it doesnt really go that way at all after Translucent.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

I do think we've gone too far into serialization for many shows; it leads to, for want of a better word, plot burnout. The nice thing about one-off episodes is that it creates a kind of baseline for a show; a ground state to measure the metaplot episodes against. If every day is change and crisis, you have no feel for what's being changed; you need a few regular days at the office to compare the disasters to.

In that vein think The Boys would be improved by a few episodes of The Boys dealing with a supe of the week.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Straight White Shark posted:

This show is good, really good. Maybe too good. Can we make it a little bit worse?? Maybe make it just a smidge less gripping, maybe turn into a tiny bit of a slog here and there? Yeah, there we go, that's perfect

Nah, 1. the main problem I have with this show atm is with the boys themselves, the show generally doesent seem to be as interested in them as it is in the seven. I’d like to see the team do team stuff and establish a dynamic before they get rocked and that dynamic disturbed.

2. Self contained episodes are good, actually

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

One thing that’s notable in the comic is that superhero fights aren’t treated as cinematic. Even when it’s between two powerful individuals the winner is usually the one who gets a sucker punch off first and takes the others head off. There’s no back and forth until one prevails like a marvel movie, fights are either won by dirty tricks or overwhelming power.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I always assumed that was just speedster healing, but you might have a point on it. The Female gets her rear end handed to her pretty horribly but is up and running around fairly quickly after that, compared to a baseline human anyway. Maybe the V gives a generic baseline power set and a specialty power? Everyone* gets the healing factor and a boost to durability and strength, but then you end up with either a signature power like Deep, or a set like Homelander, or even a basic set that's boosted like Maeve.

*that it doesn't kill, that is.

In the comics if you get the billion dollar Good poo poo you get the predictable baseline powers of super strength and durability with no side effects. Most supes don't, get exposed to it somewhere and get something random and maybe useless or fatal. Only the Seven are in vitro engineered powerhouses.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jul 15, 2020

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Dr. Clockwork posted:

I wonder if they’ll still go with the V-Zombie thing with that.

It may well be he appears in flashbacks. We don’t know what led up to mallories grandkids getting torched, and it obviously happened in a different way to the comics where the boys and the seven are aware of each other and in Cold War because of it. And him “retiring” at the start of S1 but being completely absent is too suspicious to make me think he’s still alive

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Everyone who liked the Patton Oswald scene but hasn’t seen Lucky needs to watch it. It felt like an outtake from that show.

Sir Kodiak posted:

Did I miss something that explains Stormfront's promotion given her social media bullshit? I wouldn't be surprised if Mr. Edgar had a secret reason that will be revealed later or whatever, but it seems odd that no one is questioning why they're doing all this myth-making PR if management is just going to promote someone whose primary shtick is tearing all that down. Like, what's Starlight or Homelander or anyone's subjective understanding of why Vought would work at cross-purposes with itself like that, whatever the hidden plot reasons might end up being?

I’m two eps in and Stormfronts promotion makes sense so far. In this day and age there’s the kind of behind the scenes of celebrity angle where people love to get a hint of the messy drama. Stormfronts whole thing is the faux “authentic” thing where however much it looks like she’s against the suits, the suits are still profiting off her since all eyeballs on her = money.

It’s an impressively aggravating character to me, she’s acting like she not a sellout while being part of the biggest franchise on the planet. (It’s the same reaction I get whenever I see Ricky Gervais do a takedown of celebrities at the oscars but still get invited back three times, or the craft beer band Brewdogs “beer for punks” advert)

massive spider fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Sep 5, 2020

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Combat Pretzel posted:

Lucky? Oswalt? You mean Happy?

Yea

Arglebargle III posted:

Do not watch Lucky it is a bad show.

Nah it’s great. It’s got consistently inventive action slapstick choreography that’s rare for a tv show and anyone who enjoys the Boys more absurd comic books moments will absolutely get a kick out of it.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Comic book head exploding in the comics the more is a radio wave device (Or gas can’t remember) that can be tuned to pop the head of anyone exposed to compound V. But Raynor isn’t a supe.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Homelander was raised without parents and both he and vought recognise that as a mistake, she has the leverage that as long as she’s alive super kid has a mom.

E; oh you meant to save Butchers life. I guess there’s no real point in killing him from Homelanders POV. He can’t hurt him and homelander has his wife.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I get the sense he's saying it because he has the idea that if you say all that stuff then that makes everything OK as a substitute for actual growth. Cults tend to rely on having a lot of babble you're not expected to understand, just parrot for acceptance. It's the zealotry of someone who's just been introduced to an idea rather than a true believer. Homelander immediately puncturing him by insulting his gills underlines it since if he was changed in any real way he'd be over it.

If you've ever seen Peep Show it's the same joke as the episode Jez mocks, and then briefly becomes, a Scientologist. Some people buy into stuff quick.

Unrelated observation: In the Dawn of the Seven storyboards its shown that A-train isn't an original member with some batman/wolverine looking guy instead.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Sep 7, 2020

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

yeah I mean he probably is I'm just curious who the mystery guy is. In the comics there was a Mr Marathon who got accidentally pasted by Homelander but his outfit design doesn’t look like a speeder.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Yeah I think one of the successes of the boys is that an anti-hero like Butcher often gets a lot of excuses as 'bad but not as bad as you initially think' but then Butcher subverts that by being actually as bad as you think.

There is still the question of how much the writer/reader revels in his assholeness though.

I like how in the show the characters seem to be very aware that their relationship with this rear end in a top hat is toxic. When he comes back Frenchie a mix of relieved and guilty.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Sep 9, 2020

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Swollen Member posted:

Do you guys actually want me to step back in this loving mess? After being warned off?

OK then, let me take your obvious bait. Shutting the teaching of marxist critical race theory down - struggle sessions and all - in us.gov does not in any way, shape, or form constitute racism. On the contrary, it is long overdue common sense. IMO, YMMV.

Now back to The Boys. If it's not too much.

Your posting is completely incoherent and you’re raging around swinging blindly.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I do keep seeing actors in another stuff and going “is that they guy from the boys? Oh wait no”. He has the most generic white guy face ever.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

A train could physically kill Starlight but remember his prime motivation is staying on the team, it's not a good look.

I'm not going to quote the poster who made a really long post cause I'm on mobile, but regarding the seven having tracking chips- what would vought even do to "check up" on them? They're superheroes, several of them can travel at Mach speed, when they're in the field for the most part you stay out of their way lest you get pasted. The tracking chips are only really useful in situations one is incapacitated and you need to find them or knowing where they've been after the fact.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Sep 12, 2020

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I enjoyed that an episode where the theme was clearly love with half the characters getting their bone on ended with homelander going it alone.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Yeah I mean you don’t really gain anything plot wise by making her be a daughter of who cares and you lose a lot by losing the potential fun of an immortal supe.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

The Pippi Longstocking line initially read to me as a hipster millennial thing. In that its very "[current popular thing] is just an inferior version of [less popular thing from decades ago]".

Bioshuffle posted:

I feel like she is literally the most powerless push over character in the show, and that includes Hughie. If she was strong, she would not have turned herself into a literal prisoner, acquiescing to their every little demand. If she was really an empowered female, a quick visit to the abortion clinic would have resolved almost all of her issues from the get go. We'll have to wait to see if the show addresses this issue, but seeing as how they've tackled racism, it wouldn't surprise me if this pops up at some point or another.

moist turtleneck posted:

Quote this post if you want BioShuffle to get probed until the season is over

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

DogsInSpace! posted:

The Deep deserves Vought branded Scientology.

I'm not so sure the church of the collective are affiliated with vought. My take is that they are a cult which, like Scientology realizes that their reach is extended if they can list the rich and powerful among their members, in this case supes.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

We havent really seen anything to directly compare power levels with Homelander other than how afraid of him everyone is.

The laser eyes do a lot of work. I mean physical strength becomes somewhat moot with someone who can literally kill you by looking at you.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

To follow on from the discussion about supe power levels the fact that stormfront can take a homelander later to the tits without a safe word says a lot about hers. Unless he’s holding back but she specifically told him to go harder.

Congressman Neumann read as AOC from the first appearance so the line about there being a video of her doing a silly dance was a bit on the nose.

The earlier episode scenes with stormfront being racist felt off to me, like they wanted her to be clearly racist but didn’t want to drop a hard N bomb so you end up with awkward stuff like “black bastard” or whatever. She seems much more authentic when she’s just being aggravatingly passive aggressive with plausible deniability since that’s what real racists are like.

Defiance Industries posted:

To me, A-Train feels like every college athlete from a poor family who is carrying the hopes of his entire social network to deliver them from poverty. And like most of them, he's lived his entire life with the specter of "what's gonna happen when I lose a step?" hanging over him. Like when he says if he loses he's gonna end up like Marathon Man, some sideshow attraction who races against horses. I personally can't relate to that, because I spent my late teens and early 20s as an awkward white goon instead of an athletic Black kid, but I can understand what motivates him.

It wasn’t marathon man, he specifically mentioned Ben Johnson, a real life disgraced sprinter who ended up racing against horses in a gimmick event.

The Dawn of the Seven movie seems like a franchise soft reboot, if you pause the script pages it explicitly says that Translucent dies during the events of the movie.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Sep 18, 2020

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Nuebot posted:

Real Racists want so very hard to be able to say those words though, isn't that why dogwhistles exist in the first place? They can't because even though society is still racist, saying it openly would cause them problems. So it makes sense that if you're going to kill everyone you're going to say the words you like saying so much, especially if the only person left to hear them is someone who can't touch you in any meaningful way: after all Kimiko can't go to the media and ruin Stormfront's public persona.

Thats my point though, if a racist was going to kill a black person they'd go for the N-word with a hard R but the show (understandably) doesn't want to do that so you end up with a relatively weak slur.

On the other hand, the grating passive aggression works because that's whan engaging with an actual alt-righter is like. right down to the 'you brought race into it not me!" line.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

The cunnilingus slam sounded like teeth hitting flesh.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Bioshuffle posted:

They were definitely mocking her. She makes a huge scene about how she will hold him accountable. Once he actually shows up in person, she does a complete 180, basically demonstrating to the whole world she is all talk and no walk. Also, he makes fun of her dance video.

Props to that one veteran guy for actually standing up to him.

Holding him accountable means passing laws on not punching the invincible laser god also how is it that every time there’s a bad take in this thread your username is next to it Jesus Christ.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

ptkfvk posted:

deep is going to end up having to blow the leader of the collective in a reverse honeypot situation.

i like how scared maeve is of HL. its like nobody else really gets what he can do. she knows its gonna take everything to stop him if it comes to a fight.

i really want a "I live in a world of cardboard" moment from HL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQabrSpKcJw

The world of cardboard bit doesn't work with HL because the point of it with Superman is that it's supposed to be an expression of his virtue that he holds back despite having all that power. Its exceptional because he's humble so there are so few moments it's acknowledged. Wheras HL is constantly "I live in a world of cardboard lol"

massive spider fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Sep 20, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I've been rereading the comic since its on humble bundle and I miss how in the show they dont do the ridiculous superhero origin and adventure stuff.

Its a lie they're going on holiday for a convention/orgy

while excising that adds 1% realism to the shows setting totally ignoring the sillier side of superheroes is a loss I think.

babypolis posted:

Seems weird to me that they have almost completely ignored Lamplighter so far. He doesnt even get mentioned in Dawn of the Seven! You think the writers forgot about him, or just saving him for another season?

Spoiler from season 1 deleted scenes Stillwell at one point threatens A-train with 'you don't want to end up like lamplighter do you?' so its implied whatever happened to him Vought did it

massive spider fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Sep 21, 2020