Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

GreatGreen posted:

I don't buy the idea that the explosion would have brought down the entire building and killed everybody in it. The explosion could just have been exactly as powerful as it needed to be. Powerful enough to de-supe Homelander and maybe char a few floors of the building or whatever, but exactly as weak as it needed to be to not literally topple it... or it could have toppled the building but the non-supes could have all somehow landed in perfectly hollowed out rubble in exactly the way they need to land in order to survive.

The point is that the explosion, like Butcher's actions, could just have been whatever the writers needed it to be to make the plot work, similar to how the rest of the events of that episode unfolded, and that this idea has never been more apparent than during the last big fight scene where everything miraculously happened exactly as it needed to happen to just kind of maintain the status quo and keep viewers hooked. I dunno, I'm just saying that the way things went down in the finale simply exposed too many of the nuts and bolts of the writers' intentions and became such an obvious look behind the curtain that the show has changed for me in a way I don't know if I can continue to engage with.

chest fuel cant melt steel beams

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

he doesnt really need to directly kill people, he could just tweet "im gonna shoot down every airplane i see" and the global economy would implode

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Huh? the first building is the crimefighting school and there have been many ground level scenes filmed in and around it

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

i mean it makes sense everyone forgets about you if you get obliterated inside the World of Memories

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Open Source Idiom posted:

[i]* This is a big part of why I think this episode was so poor. The bit where Marie says "We can't trust you now, and it's going to take a long time for us to forgive you" (or words to that effect) is just bananas. The episode's trying to suggest -- very schematically -- that they're all capable of poor acts themselves, and sure. But there's a world of difference between what any of them have done, even Marie, and what Cate regularly and with full awareness did for years as an adult. She was auditing for Dr Mengele. The idea that the leads can be friends with her one day is already a stretch, and the show dangling that idea so prominently already makes me think it doesn't really understand how terrible Cate's actions are.

Open Source Idiom posted:

Which, yeah, is more forgivable than being a card carrying member of Team Eugenics, absolutely. However, I also think that description is kind of damning her with faint praise, if you know what I mean? At the end of the day she's still a rapist who protected the interests of people who kidnap, experiment on and murder teenagers. And I get why she did what she did, but I also think the show isn't quite reckoning with the magnitude of what she's done. I also get the sense that the show mistakes the explanation of who she is as an excuse for why she acted the way she did, and I really don't truck with that.

Perhaps the show's handling of Cate would make a lot more sense if (major finale spoiler speculation) Shetty is a rogue Vought employee in cahoots with The Boys. I mean, how many times can the counselor to the supes listen to a guy in spandex whine about vaporizing a school bus before saying gently caress all of this?

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

the furtive pygmy.. so easily forgotten

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

does anyone at Vought other than Homelander even know about her? my impression was that she was more of a Stan Edgar plant

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

imprisoning and torturing supes to trying to find a way to kill them in The Boys universe is usually more indicative of being a protagonist lol

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

The thing that I think worked in the first season of Dexter was the way that they shot the killings like a horror movie from the perspective of Dexter's victims. It created this sort of uncomfortable dissonance between the part of your brain that kind of wants to root for the protagonist to catch the pedophile being at odds with the part of your brain that understands the language of film and feels sympathy for the person being hunted and murdered

I was really hoping that Gen V was going to try and play in that same space. By sort of reframing this universe from the perspective of a like a coming of age superhero story where the kids stumble onto some really dark poo poo, the viewer should be slowly realizing that they're actually at odds with the protagonists of the other show and be left to stew in that tension. The show clearly recognized that dissonance was there but, rather than embracing a more compelling perspective, decides "uh oh, this tension needs to be resolved!" and has a goofy scene where Shetty calls up The Boys so that they can say "no thanks Mrs Hitler, too evil for us!"

To me it was a disappointing cop out that just left Shetty feeling like not much more than a standard comic villain with a splash of The Boys™️ dark edginess

Not to get too backseat writer or whatever but really just like:

Vought researching ways to suppress/control supes -> Shetty realizes this can be made contagious to shut down superpowers worldwide -> contacts The Boys for help -> The Boys worry it's not enough for Homelander, needs to be more powerful -> oops, now we have a genocidal supervirus

gets you to basically the same place, but having a more compelling tension with the themes of The Boys, Cate's actions making a lot more sense, Shetty being a more tragic figure, and the kids being a lot more conflicted about Shetty's death and feeling disillusioned with the superheroes vs villains poo poo they grew up on

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Jedit posted:

Why would you want Shetty to be a more tragic figure? She thinks that killing supes is good because they are supes, and that is the full-on Hitler argument - no amount of nurture can make them good because their very nature is corrupt.

I mean I think I explained why I felt that it would make for more compelling television in the section of the quote you deleted. To expand on things a bit more though:

The second episode of The Boys has the protagonists capturing, torturing, experimenting on, shoving a bomb up the rear end of, and killing a superhero as part of their plan to eradicate superheroes. I'm not really sure how the spinoff of a show that spends so much time dealing with the internal conflict of characters struggling to walk that path can conclude, seemingly without introspection, that actually Shetty is Just A Hitler. Clearly the creators of the show also recognized this, or they wouldn't have included the scene with Mallory

Beyond that I think it just kind of contradicts a lot of the The Boys' take on the superhero genre in general, especially the whole narrative around superheroes vs villains being a fiction meant to sell a product. In Gen V you have a group of kids who grew up watching Vought News, seeing Vought superhero movies, literally having a superhero dad, and have probably completely bought into the superheroes vs villains narrative. When they experience their own origin story however, it's horrible, traumatic, and not at all in line with what they've been led to believe a hero is supposed to be, and so they keep it hidden away. Then they stumble onto their own little Nancy Drew mystery where they finally get to play real superheroes trying to catch the villain, but in the process discover that their parents lied to them, the school isn't what it seems, Vought is doing bad poo poo, they all have horrible origin stories, and maybe all this superhero poo poo is completely hosed. What's the resolution to the mystery though? That the concept of villains they learned from watching movies was basically spot on?

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Ardship of Cambry posted:

I did think it was kinda funny that they contrived a reason for two characters to stand in a black-box stage and ACT. That was set up for the actors, right? They did great job.

i really thought the professor was gonna start slow clapping from backstage

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

I don't think it doesn't make sense, but there is already another character he can (and does!) hash this dilemma out with, and the show has established a pretty specific form for his hallucinations

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

I think they did a pretty decent job of capturing the surface level tone, satire, and black comedy of The Boys, and there is some good character work particularly around Jordan and Emma. beyond that though it feels like a pretty shallow imitation with a ton of very clunky writing. it was mostly enjoyable to watch on an episode by episode basis, but on the whole felt like a lot of wasted potential

like, kids going to school while trying to solve a mystery is a pretty classic setup, but then instead of the kids actually uncovering what was going they just sort of had 4 different scenes where the bad guys stand there and explain their plans to each other in a grey room. and then the bad guy drunkenly walks in and mumbles "kill them all... make it contagious...." and marie says "did he say something about making it contagious?" like jesus christ lol. reeks of a show plagued by amazon exec notes

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Vought is pretty huge and Homelander seems like more of a "big picture" kind of CEO lol

the main question for me is whether the initial power suppressing research was Shetty going rogue, or was it an effort by higher ups at Vought looking for a way to control supes?

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

the more they try to tie gen v into the boys the worse off both shows will be

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

getting a lot of Boss Baby vibes from this Homelander guy..