Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Only on episode 3, but I think A-Train has learned a valuable lesson about just not stopping when you accidentally blow someone up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Zaphod42 posted:

Four episodes in and I'm pretty hooked on this, seems really well done.

I only read one... maybe two of the comics? I remember hearing mixed things. Sounds like this is a smart adaptation.

Yeah parts of the first episode seemed very familiar. I think I might have read a book or two as well, and I seem to remember putting it down because it was super tryhard edgy with all the sexual violence.

There's still a bit of that in the show, but not too too much.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Fabulousity posted:

According to Wikipdia Amazon ordered season two before season one even premiered. Is that based on ComicCon reception or something? How does that sort of thing even happen?

I mean it's real good. Maybe they just liked what they saw.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Frankenstyle posted:

I dunno. I'm not a big comic guy and The Boys is one maybe of three series I've read since college, so I'm not a purist or anything but it was worth reading. I was curious to see how much of the story would get shaved down to fit the show in the interest of time and money. Loved the first episode, but the next two feel like they cut the story to the bone and then patched it back together with pointless filler. It also feels like folks behind the scenes were having a lot of conflicts deciding on the exact mixture of Dark / Comedy they were shooting for, and a lot of it feels a little awkward as a result. Does it get any better, of should I give up now?

Ah what are you doing that's so important you gotta maximize your entertainment time just watch it you ain't doing nothing else anyway you know it

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Frankenstyle posted:

Yeah, sorry. I guess that sounded like a "Should I waste my precious time" dickhead post, but I work twelve to eighteen hour shifts at a hospital so I have to target my TV watching strategically in between moments of passing out while taking off my shoes.

OK OK you got me if you don't like it by now you probably won't ever

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Would it be impossible for them to do that in Season 2? Because Black Noir doesn't really do anything this season. Basically the only of the Seven with nothing going on. It seemed like they were saving him.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

MiddleOne posted:

The only thing about the Black Noir spoilers I imagine they're keeping is the bit about him being a Homelander failsafe. Currently there is nothing introduced in the TV universe that can even conceivably be a threat to him, much less harm him. For most of the season he's been death incarnate.

I dunno the only thing he does this season is fight kimiko and not overwhelmingly dominate her.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Panfilo posted:

That dolphin he was trying to save, though... Not so sure that dolphin was some Saint.

Drawn from real life. Dolphins are horny af. They're dangerous to trainers not because they'll attack them, but because they'll try to gently caress them and might hold someone underwater to do so.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Desperado Bones posted:

I noticed a little something with Homelander's costume, which I thought it was an odd wardrobe error but know you guys are making me think :tinfoil:

Gonna need this in the form of a 2000-word Medium post with photos.

tia

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I kinda doubt the Black Noir stuff simply because it looks like he gets injured by Kimiko when they throw down in the alley. If he was a Homelander clone, it wouldn't have even been a close fight, much less one where he gets cut,

Yeah, also the actor has a recurring role on various other superhero shows. I mean, he's done stunt work too, but they could have hired an absolute nobody a lot cheaper if they never intended to use him.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

jerry seinfel posted:

Finished the season, one thing I'm surprised about is that there wasn't more done with Doppelganger. I thought maybe it was him before Stillwell got eye to eye'd but iirc she started saying stuff Doppelganger wouldn't know. Maybe Homelander will just force Doppelganger to pretend to be her for part of s2 or something.

Yeah it's like when a Batman comic brings up Clayface and then you're looking for him the rest of the time.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

LGD posted:

I don't think that's really true, Homelander is at least as powerful in the comics, and many of the other superpowered characters seem noticeably more mortal than they did on the page

the big difference is in the degree to which they currently outclass most of The Boys, and that's down to a significant story change from the comics: In the comics Butcher/his associates/government intelligence generally already knows compound V exists and The Boys are all hopped up on a low-dosage version that allows them to physically go toe-to-toe with weaker superheroes from the get-go, with the exception of Hughie, and injecting him is one of the very first things Butcher does post-recruitment. In the show they don't start out knowing about it, and they're all currently baseline humans with the exception of The Female (and maybe MM)

Wow, that's a really smart change then. One of the best things about the show is the asymmetry.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Gawain The Blind posted:

As a huge Ennis fan, I'm disappointed with a lot of the changes. I think they spent too much time trying to make a "the boys" origin story, when it's not really about that. They aren't even V-ed up for the whole first season, which changes the gang from a legitimate threat into a bunch of goofballs bumbling their way through a war the heroes don't even know they're in.

It's much cooler that they ARE a legitimate threat to the supes without having powers. Maeve talks about how their weakness is still other people. They're all getting owned by capitalism and social structures which makes them vulnerable to Billy's "blackmail everyone" method of getting things done. Ultimately, for all their powers, they're still hosed if they don't get paid, or Vought stops protecting them from the fallout of their creepy actions, or the CIA starts making demands.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

ruddiger posted:

Was Stillwell's baby the same baby as the eye laser baby from before? I was half expecting to see the baby emerge from the rubble in a post credits scene.

Nah, Stillwell knows it sucks to be a superhero and their lives are all kinds of hosed up.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Maybe I was reading it wrong, but the other supes also seemed a bit afraid of Annie. Not as much as Homelander, of course. But there are a couple of moments when she gives supes the eye flash like Homelander and they flinch.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Starks posted:

The Amazon trivia for that scene says “Dolphins are notoriously horny animals”

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Supreme Allah posted:

Amazons already started with season 2 teaser/trailers, unfortunately I can't find it on their official channel so here;s this random guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhWTMq5Z-r0

(It's the 1st 2.5 minutes then just normal youtube blah blah)

lol pretty savvy of them if that's just a deleted scene from Season 1 and they're trying to gin up more buzz by calling it a Season 2 teaser.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
What did aziz do?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
The doctor pointedly saying Homelander should have been raised with a parent makes me think that Becca is in cahoots with Vought and they planned for the kid to be a "debugged" replacement for Homelander.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Edit: wrong thread

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Supreme Allah posted:

The Tick (Amazon) is great and everyone should watch both seasons, it actually has more drama than you'd think, and they were building into a big reveal about Tick's nature/origin that we sadly never got. But it's just a neat show.

Since it got canned, was that reveal ever done in like comics or the cartoon or anything? They actually did manage to get me interested in what was up with the Tick.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Azhais posted:

No, where he came from and how he got his powers is never explored. He always has no memory of where he was before the city really. In the comics it's revealed that he's an escaped mental patient but that doesn't really explain anything. In the cartoon all you know is he passed his hero exam and was assigned to the city. In the Warburton series his first appearance was protecting a bus station and the people there tricked him into moving to the city because he annoyed them.

Ah it's probably for the best. They teased it well in the new show, but it would probably be a letdown no matter what.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

That Italian Guy posted:

Not really sure if changing what was essentially an alt-right nazi superhero into something else (anything else) is really the best idea in this day and age...but I guess they are going for something completely different anyway for the character. S2 is probably going to be wildly different from the comic, plot wise.

The comic loving sucks so anything that indicates they're changing the comic is a good sign.

Bust Rodd posted:

Oooooh I really like the idea of the S2’s antagonist locking horns with the S1 chief antagonist like an anime

Give Hughie a gundam

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Bust Rodd posted:

I know it’s splitting hairs but I don’t need my “murderous rapist and child killer” to also be a Nazi in order to hate them, and I didn’t get any Nazi vibes from him.

Give this another watch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCcOCiQ6Ej0

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

As a nation we're just going to have to come to grips with the fact that Seth Rogen makes good comic book adaptions.

Did he write/direct The Green Hornet?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

He and Goldberg wrote it, but apparently it went through 3-4 script doctor phases as the director/producer/star merry go round went round and round in the 4 years between writing and principal photography.

Well that sounds like a loving nightmare

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I think Black Noir will wind up as comic relief forever.

Although they did hire an actual actor to play him, so maybe they do have a plan for him to do something.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

SardonicTyrant posted:

There's still no good explanation for why Homelander had sex with Butcher's wife, it's not in his character. So I think that was Black Noir impersonating Homelander like in the comics..

Homelander completely no-sells it if that's their plan. He doesn't protest at all about it.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Some of the Sheep posted:

I'm guessing they're talking about the discussion of Black Noir's story arc as it is in the comics. If so it seems pointless to spoil at this time as I don't see how the tv show can even end up at the same conclusion. If it's about things from the TV show like Homelander's son? Well that was revealed about 8 months ago, if they are referring to that we might as well be spoilering plot points from Batman starring Adam West.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Supreme Allah posted:

Anyone remember this show? Its like Watchmen except, fun to watch.

Some news -- https://www.thecinemaspot.com/2020/04/29/exclusive-the-boys-lands-early-season-3-renewal-at-amazon-season-2-episode-titles-revealed/

- Season 2 did finish filming, won't be delayed and should be out in a couple months
- Season 2 episode titles revealed -- they're super vague as expected but still, some people like to go in fresh!!
- Season 3 has been approved already

Nice! I was just wondering if they had this season finished before the outbreak.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

massive spider posted:

One thing I don't like in the show is how The Boys themselves dont really seem to be much of a driving force. In the comic they were superpowered and could stomp most superheroes easy when caught unawares, the shows version of having them be 4/5 human could potentially create a lot more in the way of fun schemes to compensate for their lack of powers, but it doesnt really go that way at all after Translucent.

Yeah, I'm also hoping for more "how could a regular person beat Superman?" scenarios in Season 2. The best decision the show creators made after sanding off the comic's 2000s edge was taking away The Boys superpowers.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Collateral posted:

Premier is September 4th.

First 3 episodes drop on the 4th, then one episode per week.

So 10 weeks from now.

I am fairly bummed by that wait, but I guess I should be happy we are getting it in 2020 considering how much of poo poo sandwich this year has been.

I wonder what the TV inventory will be around then.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

So far so good with the new character

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

DivisionPost posted:

Reminder: The Mandalorian released week-to-week and Baby Yoda owned Twitter for nearly that entire ten week window.

The Boys S1 dropped all at once and social was mostly over it after a month.

Yeah, there have been a few notable exceptions, like House of Cards and Stranger Things, but overall going all at once more often leads to people burning through the show over a weekend and mostly forgetting about it until next year.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Panfilo posted:

It'll be interesting to see the interaction between Homelander and Stormfront. He seemed a little annoyed to see her.

I read that as him being mad that he wasn't consulted about the new addition to the team.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
You know, I never got the impression the super terrorist guy was supposed to be like the next big plot point. It always seemed to me like Homelander was saying "I made this one and a bunch more like him and now we can go kill them. Isn't my master plan awesome?"

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
^^^yeah this is precisely what I'm talking about

Blaise330 posted:

When the netflix marvel shows were coming out, I'd talk to people the same WEEK that we both saw it and they couldn't remember poo poo. Didn't know the names of any side characters, forgot everything but the biggest plot twists and fights, just totally lost. And they'd be the ones who'd drop in conversation how fast they finished the show like it's a bragging right. Autoplaying the show for 7 hours while browsing stuff on your phone and doing housework isn't exactly "watching" it.

The discussion threads of shows that drop all at once are a little whack too cause it's all just people saying how they liked/hated a char overall, how they felt about the biggest twist, and what their favorite moment was, and that's about it. The first [spoiler ]'d text post will be some poo poo from the 2nd to last episode.

I was talking about this in the Sopranos thread. I remember storylines from that show very well, and I don't know if it's because the show was great so the storylines were great, or if it was because the show said what it was going to say on a given subject in a tight, memorable package. A lot of things I remember from The Sopranos I thought were stretched out over an entire season, but really happened in one episode.

If it were made today, the episode where Meadow's roommate at Columbia loses her poo poo, and her boyfriend reveals himself to be an elitist douchebag because of it, would take like an entire 10-episode run. You'd be loving sick of that crazy girl 4 episodes in, but you wouldn't quite know her character's name and have to recall what her deal is every time because you would have seen the story play out in 2-minute chunks once an hour.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

GD_American posted:

I'd be ok with binge seasons if they weren't so stretched out, yeah. The Marvel shows in particular were stretched awfully.

Oh god, Luke Cage and Jessica Jones were so bad about this.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

AnEdgelord posted:

thats what I meant I just explained it badly,

I meant "episodic" as in "every episode builds on the previous and leads into the next one with little to no episodes that aren't part of that chain"

serialized

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I hope that's a different character and they didn't recast Homelander's kid. The original kid had the same scary hateful look as Homelander.