Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Four episodes in and I'm pretty hooked on this, seems really well done.

I only read one... maybe two of the comics? I remember hearing mixed things. Sounds like this is a smart adaptation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Romes128 posted:

Love the show. Watched the whole thing over the past 2 days.

But Homelander is a stupid superhero name.

I thought it was a decent name? Avoids calling him SuperDude or CaptainUnitedStates or whatever, and evokes the idea of DHS.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

MiddleOne posted:

The only thing about the Black Noir spoilers I imagine they're keeping is the bit about him being a Homelander failsafe. Currently there is nothing introduced in the TV universe that can even conceivably be a threat to him, much less harm him. For most of the season he's been death incarnate.

Well, also, I didn't read many of the comics, but Did they have the baby grow up in the comics? Someone just said Butcher kills the child because it had tons of powers. So it seems like they've shifted the plots possibly, instead of a Homelander clone they have Homelander Jr. He's still clearly being raised as a replacement for Homelander, they talked about how having him grow up in a lab made him a sociopath and he needs to have a mother.

But then, I don't see Homelander Jr doing those things that Black Noire did in the comics, so it'll definitely have to be a different story here either way. But I agree that I like the idea of keeping Homelander responsible for his actions instead of having him actually just be framed and/or manipulated.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

My question at the end: Did Homelander save Stillwell's baby, or did it die in the explosion? My original assumption was that Stillwell was giving Compound V to her own baby, to create a superhero that she was the mother of and wasn't as crazy as Homelander. But then we got the twist at the end that Homelander's baby is still alive, so... is Stillwell's baby just dead?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Collateral posted:

So its heavily implied Becca was not raped? That she went from a happy (we haven't been shown otherwise) marriage to loving the company mascot and was only upset because she got pregnant (or was that part of some plan?), which people say is impossible..Somebody said earlier that Translucent had a son though. Re: Black Noir being the clone of Homelander as a fail safe in case Homelander goes crazy seems like the stupidest idea, instead of one all powerful potential world destroyer you have two, who could both be crazy. Was there any justification for this? The gut punch to Butcher by Homelander at the end was supreme. I can see HL telling BB to raise his kid for him just to rub much salt into that particular wound.

Uh, no? I mean maybe but I don't see "heavily implied". Just because you raise the baby doesn't mean it wasn't rape. She didn't look happy to see homelander and the boy didn't know his father, although for other reasons too.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Collateral posted:

The only people who have said it was a rape, is Mallory, who basically tells Butcher that is what has happened, shows him some video, and wants to recruit him to her team. And Butcher himself, who believes what Mallory tells him, because his wife was acting strange, not telling him what was wrong, then disappeared. That is it. I say implied because, from what we have been shown, Becca didn't tell Billy it was anything. For all we know she could have been artificially impregnated by Vought for the purposes of raising an anti-Homelander and she got cold feet or something. The video Mallory had could have been fake and Homelander boasting to Butcher at the end could just be to gently caress with Billy's head, which he did with aplomb right at the end there. Becca was looking at Billy the entire scene, not Homelander, or her son.

Anything could be possible, sure. But I don't think anything is implied. We'll have to wait for S2 to find out.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

pretty much all the names are terrible and i'm thinking that was the point.

To be fair, most superhero names from Marvel and DC are terrible too. Its just, once you've heard the name so many times you stop thinking about it. Its some psychological phenomenon, probably has an official name like "the ___ effect" but I know it has to be a thing.

Like band names, I noticed awhile back that when I say "The Bare Naked Ladies" I'm not even thinking about the fact that I just said "Bare Naked Ladies", its just <Band Name>. BNL. But the full version of BNL is "Bare-Naked-Ladies". Which like, that's kinda the joke there, but my point is once you've heard and said a name like 20,000 times, your brain stops processing it as anything more than an ID-tag for the concept it invokes, rather than the individual words or sounds.

Green Lantern is one of my favorite heroes but that name is SO dumb.

There's some classics that are simple and stand well as a result, "Super Man" is hard to go wrong with, "Batman" is maybe a little goofy out of context but not too shabby.

But there's some bad ones.

Black Canary? Captain Boomerang? Martian Manhunter? I'm sure if I took longer I could come up with far far stupider ones.

So I think inventing some intentionally stupid names, but having it such that the world accepts them as-is and even thinks they're pretty cool, really helps to highlight the point that these superheroes are not actually in fact cool in the way everybody thinks they are. It highlights the difference between reality and and the cult of personality. These guys are losers posing as heroes, so they have goofy loser names.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Hub Cat posted:

A Train didn't even murder Robin it really was an accident she just as easily could have been hit by a bus or something, if anybody "radicalized" Hughie it was Butcher.

A bus travelling down the sidewalk? I'm not a lawyer but you can definitely argue murder in the second.

Zwabu posted:

Did they same Supes have the same names in the comics? (Homelander, The Deep etc.)

Yes but some things were changed.

A-Train wasn't the Seven speedster originally, he's a replacement kinda like Starlight and was in this group called Teenage Kix which plays a major role.

Also The Boys and The Seven know way more about each other in the comics.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Millions of Crows posted:

If you still throw around "human being" on these forums post 2010 it's because you're a regressive rear end in a top hat that will not change. You've been here long enough to learn, but failed to. You'll do it again, as it's in your character: typical American suburban douchebag.
Modern day Belfast would kick the poo poo out of you, 80s Belfast would kill you. Go mouth off at the Provos or the Loyalists or just some local teenagers and get crippled or dead.

The real world is dark and complicated and ugly and sometimes funny much like Ennis writes it. You seem to regard anything beyond PG 13 as terribly shocking edgelord stuff. You won't even type Arseface.

:yikes:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I'm wondering if they're gonna do Vic the Veep next season? But I'm thinking no. Instead maybe doing Homelander as president?

But they ended up doing The Messiah and everything in Preacher.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Or maybe just have a Trump analogue and imply he was set up by Vought? :cheeky: We'll see.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

AFewBricksShy posted:

1. Seth Reed (played by Malcolm Barrett who played Hoover in Preacher) works for Vought, but was also in the supe support grout because he had his dick frozen off. Was he undercover or am I just suffering from goon face blindness and that was a different guy?

Its obviously the same guy. The idea is he met a supe while working for vought, and slept with her. Get it? No, he isn't undercover. He worked for vought, banged a coworker, lost his dick, and then joined the support group.

You have cause and effect backwards.

And he'a a good actor but this character was the exact exact same as Hoover to a T. But maybe they cast him for that and told him to IDK.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Mat Cauthon posted:

Homelander obviously doesn't see baseline humans as actual living things and his actions 100% reflect that. Non-supes are just meat in the way of whatever he wants in that moment, which is usually violence, and barely worthy of getting to see him use his abilities

Uh, non-supes? Look at how he talks to Deep and Starlight. Nobody is on Homelander's level. He has no equal.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

FilthyImp posted:

She wasn't as dishevelled and shellshocked as would be expected/communicated if it were non-consensual.
It seemed more like "Oh god what the gently caress did I do jesus" kind of regret

Ehhhh, "if you were really raped you'd be more upset" is a very very bad take. People go into shock when they've been abused and don't always react the way you might expect.

It could very easily go either way, and we shouldn't really push the speculation beyond that.

DivisionPost posted:

Honestly, though, I’m not entirely comfortable speculating whether or not an implied rape was actually consensual. I know she’s a fictional character and all, but scrutinizing her actions, dress, etc to determine as much feels...ickily transferrable to real life.

Yeah this 100%

jabby posted:

Against the odds she survived and she's now a supe, which is why she couldn't go back to Butcher.

This is a good guess. I was figuring they may have used compound V to help her deliver the baby, (and the comics have some things the show doesn't which also make that seem plausible)

But her becoming a supe is something I didn't consider and would be a pretty good twist.

Although so far it seems like you need compound V as a baby to get the full supe treatment.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Aug 15, 2019

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

FilthyImp posted:

Yeah, I apologize. Guess I'm used to stuff not operating with nuance and expected it throwing huge flashing lights at the audience.

It seems like Homelander was dosing adults with V to create his super-creeps, so it is probably more like the survivability for adults is really bad. Let's just say stem cells graft V better or some pseudoshit like that.

All good, I don't think you meant anything by it.

You're right, they explicitly said that Homelander was dosing adults to create his supe-terrorists, and he mentioned something like "it was messy, I see why you used children; still, enough survived..."

It could be they got lucky with Becca or maybe they figured out some way to make it work better on adults. Or also maybe something about the pregnancy, like giving her compound V was okay because the baby helped manage it or something. :shrug: we'll see.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

TMMadman posted:

I'd like to see the Deep get some more marine life killed. I could not stop laughing at the dolphin and then I saw lobster bit and lost it all over again.

I was dying at the lobster bit because I saw it coming a mile away.

"NONONO YOU HAVE TO TELL HIM--- too late! hahahaha" deep is such a fuckup lol

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

jabby posted:

I was just confused why he didn't tell the woman to get the gently caress off him and get out. If it was meant to parallel him and Starlight it did a bad job.

Part of me wonders if the plan was for the woman to threaten some kind of false accusation if he didn't go with it, in which case I'm glad they cut it but they probably should have just cut the whole scene. His life falling apart was good enough schadenfreude without heavy-handed role reversal.

Its a reversal showing how the deep now has no power and that was what enabled him.

Now he's weak and himself can be victimized.

I thought "and now the rapist gets raped!" Was a little ham fisted but I see what they were going for.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

... no it was not me :argh:

If you're curious who said what you can just read the thread!

I thought the show did a good job of adapting Ennis there too, they had Frenchie go out of his way to say "I don't control her!" when MM tells him "control your woman" or whatever.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Aug 21, 2019

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

The comics didn't have the baby survive, I feel like the Homelander Jr. is being prepped as the Homelander replacement instead of Black Noir as a clone replacement, so there's no need for him to be a clone since they're altering the story beat to make it more interesting. They kept the character because he's a good batman knockoff but he's just rear end in a top hat batman in this world as far as I can tell.

They could still go the other way with it but that detail you guys mentioned would mean it would kinda be an inconsistency in the story.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Mat Cauthon posted:

Homelander Jr as the only being able to take down his father makes too much sense for them not to do, but I fully expect Homelander to prevail in that situation, should it ever occur, and then really be full on crazy bonkers.

YES.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Jedit posted:

Yes, but it was Homelander.

It was Homelander but also 2 others IIRC

Ennis really pushes things for shock value

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

Frankly, I can't tolerate Gaiman now that he's married Amanda Palmer and they go around doing twee bullshit together.

Jeeze, I gotta say this seems pretty lame and unhealthy.

He's an amazing author with lots of output of a consistently high quality. Unless he's like hurting people or doing something unethical, his personal life isn't much of your business. You can just like not follow her twitter?
Let him be happy :colbert:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If that's what it is, blaming that all on his wife and not just like getting older and having four children seems weird.

Also artists change and explore other things so as not to get bored. Demanding their style remains static is super lame in its own way. Sandman is still there if you wanna read Sandman.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Porgs were invented because it was easier to paint over than try to remove all the aninals that kept getting in the star wars shoot

It happens

Leaning into it as an ant-man esque hero would be hilarious

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

So the whole time I thought that Vought was secretly turning babies into supes by disguising their magic drug as a polio vaccine stocked in hospitals nationwide. But then it turns out that the parents of supes all know about this and none of them have come forward about the true nature of superpowers because ???. Am I missing something or was this really dumb?

Uhhhh you're missing that Hugie knows A-Train killed his girlfriend and Vought just PR's him to oblivion. You think some random parents yelling wouldn't get the same thing? (Or be killed by Homelander, like the politician who mentions Compound V??)

:v:

Not to mention they're all complicit and have signed a ton of contracts and poo poo. Vought probably does their homework on the parents, finds ones who are totally lifetime believers, and then if they step out of line they disappear them.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

How could you live here in 2019 with literally any and all corruption going open-faced and unpunished and assume any number of parents coming forward would be met with anything other than memes?

Yeah I was about to say, when Trump's followers will continue to ignore everything he does, its not hard to imagine how Homelander could get away with the same thing.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

But these conspiracies don't involve highly powerful and influential people, they're parents of a wide range of social and economic backgrounds. And the conspiracy The Boys uncover isn't met with "oh huh I guess those fringe theories were right" it's met with "holy poo poo this is the biggest secret in the history of forever."
"nothing matters lol" cynicism is a lovely way to excuse bad writing of fiction, where consequences are supposed to exist so that the dramatic action has, well, meaning.

Seriously? Parents are easier to disappear than powerful and influential people! It's backwards. I could see them being willing to kill some parents but not willing to kill a senator, but if Homelander is willing to laser-eye some senator's plane when he's in the middle of US airspace these people have ZERO limits. And clearly they can get away with them.

As to the Boys, seriously? That's just being human. Its cognitive bias. They would have ignored any conspiracy theories as bunk when they heard them because they weren't authoritative sources. Then when something happens, its only human to go "oh poo poo" and not instantly jump back to that time 4 years ago you saw a crazy on TV claiming this same thing.

People not being perfect memory recall robots is bad writing?? You think every human has Eidetic memory? loving lmao.

I'm sorry but study some psychology SpiderHyphenMan that's not how human beings work. And they even likely would alter how they looked at things in retrospect to deal with cognitive bias.

"No, those crazy people weren't on to the conspiracy, they just got lucky. It wasn't that we didn't listen to them. Those people were crazy. But this, this is real."

Its ALL too easy for human beings to roll with stuff like that. Sheesh.

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Also what about the parents who were offered the deal to inject their child with superdrug and were like "lol no"? Were they made an offer they couldn't refuse?

Zaphod42 posted:

Vought probably does their homework on the parents, finds ones who are totally lifetime believers

:colbert: we're going in circles.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Really, if you ever thought it was possible for the protagonists of this TV show to foil the schemes of a megacorporation, you're a liberal cuck who is voting for Biden or maybe Harris in the primary.

This is a colossally bad and toxic post. Shame on you.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I do wonder if one thing they'll keep from the books is Butcher dosing Hughie with Compound V because ~reasons~.

But In the comics they ALL used V, right? Which none of them have so far. It feels like a distinct choice to me by the writers, as it makes it clearer what separates them from the Supes and keeps them as massive underdogs, which is part of the appeal

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Panfilo posted:

Who played Butcher in the hilarious re enactment of his confrontation with Stillwell?

Amazon says its "Kym Wyatt McKenzie"

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm4484458/

That part was loving hilarious though, I want to see more re-enactments of the boys actions.

Also bringing in Chris Hansen was a nice touch. (And he's willing to do anything nowadays)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Victis posted:

On the other hand, he sees himself as such a champion of America, how do you reconcile that with working with what the US has always considered the Big Bad Guys

Ha... haha.... hahahaha

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

SpaceCommie posted:

I really like that Butcher's abbrasiveness is getting called out by the team.

The idea of Hugie being a moral canary for the group is a neat way to address his relative "naivety" without just making him slowly become a jaded arsehole like Butcher.

When Butcher hit Hugie I was like "dude, loving HIT HIM BACK"

I was soooo happy when he did exactly that on the boat.

Bust Rodd posted:

I also feel like we’re getting more out of MM from the first 3 episodes than we really got all last season. MM has this obviously loving, paternal energy that seems to have power over all the other men in the team. Everyone LOVES MM!

I may like MM more than Hugie or Butcher, and I like them both a lot. The core boys are all fantastic, Frenchie and Kimiko are good together.

The twist of Kimiko's brother being the supe terrorist worked really well for some natural drama both inside and outside the team.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Accretionist posted:

Also, is the show following the comic? Are comic spoilers solid? :colbert:

Its pulling from it, but has already very clearly diverged from the comic plot so anything is possible and jokers are wild

Also in general Garth Ennis works need to be edited a bit when you adapt them, guy goes a bit too far sometimes

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Dr. Abysmal posted:

I was like "wait, what?" when a character named Stormfront appeared and that reaction proved to be completely founded but I thought it was interesting that her name being a dead giveaway was seemingly a result of being extremely online as my sister had never heard of it and was taken by surprise by the character's racism. To be honest I didn't actually study her costume enough to notice the nazi components of it until I saw it pointed out and then went back and yep, there's the SS earrings and eagle belt.

In the comics its a guy who speaks with a German accent so its even more on the nose.

What's fun is Stormfront's costume isn't really all that different from Homelander's.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

boo_radley posted:

I feel like we're really turning a corner on this one, almost there, y'all

That was the point, don't be so condescending

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

boo_radley posted:

I feel like we're really stuck on Stormfront's presentation and parallels with Homelander.

Well if you wanna change the subject :justpost:

boo_radley posted:

E: to help pull up a little bit: I thought the small "no, doesn't matter" from Eagle the Archer while bailing out Deep and getting mis-identified was a great touch. I wonder if the scientologists-analog will wind up being a major player.

The part where Eagle said something like "who attacks guys with TEC-9s with a bow?! But archery is timeless!" and the religious lady was mouthing the words "archery is timeless" right as he does, that was great.

Really good parody of the whole Hawkeye being in the Avengers thing.

E: Oh, also its real quick, but you can see when The Deep writes down his self-description when he's taking the "test", he mentions his "incredible lung capacity". (avoiding the gills)

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Sep 7, 2020

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Oh, I just remembered the one question I had.

So... Raynor puts 2 and 2 together and is instantly sniped or something because Vought can't let some info get out...

But then The Boys are allowed to just... leave? How does that work? I guess we'll find out later but just seems kinda weird and they should themselves be questioning this more? Its not like they got out of there super fast, a sniper definitely could have killed more of them.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Tarquinn posted:

Nah, there was something different at work. Sniper bullets do not give you a nosebleed three seconds before they hit you.

Yeah that's fair. But its not like that was homelander lasers. So I guess some other supe? But then again the question, why not the boys?

But I guess its meant to be an obvious mystery. Just seems like the boys should discuss how loving weird that was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

BIG HEADLINE posted:

It's going to be something like nanotechnology. If someone they know is investigating them says the wrong thing, Vought literally blows their mind.

Yeah the only thing that makes sense as to why the boys wouldn't be immediately attacked is if it was some kind of remote device specifically targeting Raynor. Like Vought has explosives implanted in all CIA agents necks or something.

But the timing is still pretty suspect, like, they'd have to be listening in?