Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

This show is better than I expected.

I haven't read the show and there are not hip waders tall enough to wade into Ennis funnybooks as a grown rear end adult but the evil clone poo poo sounds corny as hell and I would be fine if they dropped it. Black Noir works fine as a pastiche of the brooding, laconic Batman archetype and nothing more.

Starr is incredible in the role, the way he does the fake superhero smarm, menace, barely contained sociopathy, even the weird vulnerability of a god raised as an affection-starved science project. Dude should get an award.

Even though "superhero deconstruction" is well-trod territory seems like something we need more of done well in light of the fact that superhero movies seem poised to continue serialized pap pre chewed and spat baby bird like into our stunted imaginations for decades.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jul 30, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Dr. Killjoy posted:

Let’s be honest though, Crossed totally beat Black Gas on that wager. I’m partial to the goon dad who gets his family killed because he thinks he figured out the zombies weakness.

Do tell.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I'd only ever seen Starr before when an ex made me watch Banshee, and all he was really given to do in that is play a stoic badass who spent time either brooding or loving/fighting the newest arrival to town depending on their pants plumbing.

I would not have guessed based on that he could vanish into a role with this much texture.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

The fact that he's an unreliable narrator in his own origin story really made for a Hell of a cliffhanger.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Boinks posted:

I'd love to see the people in here who complain about Ennis try to read Crossed.

I read it on your dare and stopped at issue 2 because bullets in flight reach 100-300 degrees celcius and bacteria and viruses all die off around 75. Gross out edgelord poo poo is no excuse to ignore basic physics and biology.

:colbert:

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I'd keep watching a few eps just for Starr's performance but I'd be halfway out the door if they pulled some fakeout evil clone android duplicate dream sequence poo poo on us with that finale. I get that they've established the possibility in the world with superhero sci fi fantasy stuff buyin. But storytelling wise, you can't set up profound narrative stakes for the audience and then tell them "whoops looks like you should have cared less because we were lying, you idiot. You absolute rube."

That stuff may work in actual comics, but if you're trying to do comic-inspired prestige TV you burn through goodwill real fast with that.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Yeah, I took Butcher's action in the finale as flipping the table to deny Homelander the pleasure of raking in all the chips when Butcher realized his Ace in the hole was really a duece. The baby being there wasn't anything he could realistically fix at that point under the laser glare of a god.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

No as far as we know it's just a normal baby, a different baby from both the eye laser baby they discover in the facility and Homelander's baby with Becca.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Rhyno posted:

I listened to a doofy rear end in a top hat at work go on a 5 minute rant about how the actress playing Queen Maeve would make a better Wonder Woman than Gal Gadot and he swore to god it had nothing to do with Gal being Israeli and Dominique McElligott being a white Irish woman.

Gina Carano IMO. Either as wonder woman, or just to tie me up and step on me and call me a pathetic man-worm not worthy of her boots.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

KNIFECRIME, A Near Eastern descended guy in the UK who can teleport the nearest kitchen knife into his hand.

As a huge nerd i was bothered by a Sunni supervillain with a big gently caress off tattoo. :colbert:

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Groovelord Neato posted:

gender-swapping stormfront is a bad move because it shows a massive misunderstanding of fascism.

Could be redeemed if she has the "wait Gilead sucks for the Wives who collaborate, too?" moment a lot of CHUD barbies experience.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

It's also IMO important in a cultural moment where fascism seems resugent to depict it in popular culture in a way that is recognizable and helps regular joes say "aha that's fascism, can't fool me, gently caress off Hitler."

I don't think a lady Nazi sup is necessarilly going to water that down but as a poster upthread said it's essentially a movement about male anxieties and sees women as brood mares and nurturers for the master race.

I don't think they're this tone deaf but a worst case fumble would be to present her with no further context as a "feminazi."

Anyway that's enough words about why I think a superhero show with tits and gore should educate people about the nature and dangers of facism.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Aug 2, 2019

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

etalian posted:

Homelander is basically if Trump got superman level of powers.

Probably intended more as at least in part a Super-Bush, since it was written in the aughties and Homelander quotes Bush's memorable (admittedly rhetorically really good) "bullhorn moment" at ground zero almost verbatim after the plane crash.

1994 Toyota Celica posted:

what's the difference

range of nukes, quality of baklava

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

You wouldn't get it Mom he's called SPAWN and he's from HELL.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Yeah law enforcement does that all the time in the real world, it's called Parallel Construction.

You wouldn't treat the Dead Zone visions as directly admissible or put Mesmir on the stand when it goes to trial. Instead Detective Smith would get the word that he should just happen to be strolling through the park where he, through his own perceptive powers, sees a suspicious looking discarded knife, which he takes in for fingerprinting, etc.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Any intelligence agency worth a fart would have moved heaven and earth to recruit translucent or dopelganger.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Panfilo posted:

I'm not sure how supportive police would be about supes- seems like the supes would be stealing their thunder a lot of the time and if the public sees supes that could just, say, teleport suspects into jail or turn their bullets into steam or something then there's little need to have cops doing a whole bunch of things. Not to mention countless undercover cops that will get maimed or killed by accident from supes intervening by accident.

They would be mollified by Homelander's insistence that it is they who are the real heroes.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Rubellavator posted:

He said something like she came 3 times, which seems a tall order for the guy who barely lasted three thrusts in the one event we saw screen. Its admittedly a crack theory but there is some disconnect in his sexuality on screen and what we are told he's done to Becca.

His relationship with Queen Maeve is obviously a little suspect too.

If I'm not mistaken we don't authoritatively know what happened with Becca was non-consensual. We only have some footage from afterwards, outside the room and the word of a CIA operative who wanted to recruit him to go on. Butcher is far from a reliable narrator at the best of times, and may have been actively deceived. And in either event, Homelander wouldn't be the first guy to exaggerate his performance; there's probably Lascaux cave paintings where Ugg the Caveman overstated his prowess.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

According to IMFDB it's a .50BMG rifle, the aptly acronymed Serbu BFG-50A.

That would be an extremely unusual caliber to find a less-than-lethal munition for, and even if the bullet were made of rubber, it would be at best severely injuring for a normal human at the kind of range Butcher was shooting Starlight

Worth noting it's the same weapon used in the failed attempt to kill a caged Translucent.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe rubber is like kryptonite gotta be methodical and scratch it off the list.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

This was a really clever way to shoot around mot having the budget to show this raid.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Yeah in the year of "of course epstein offed himself sometimes u get sad in jail :downs:" I'm pretty willing to suspend disbelief on a grand conspiracy to make supernerds.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Bust Rodd posted:

I’ll also suggest the possibility that soon-to-be parents are hormonal ape-faced morons who are probably half crazed by the time Vought approaches them and they just kind of agree to whatever bullshit the doctor says. It’s the same reason that more than half the US is circumcised, doctors just come in and be like “yeah were gonna cut the baby’s wiener into pieces just to make it look weird” and the mom and dad are like “cool cool cool”

Comic book superheroes actually had a crossover about it.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I was gonna rewatch but I realized that a Best of Homelander compilation would give me what I'm there for.

That scene where he pulls the shooter's guts out then opens up on maeve reminds me a little of this scene from Superman 2 where Zod is attacking the white house and grabs an M-16 and finds it a delightful plaything even though he's got laser eyes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pu_eNecYFlA

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Mar 29, 2020

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

IDK how much you can lay at Noah's feet, but the zeitgeist (or at least my personal politics if you think I'm being overbroad) has passed their brand of center of the road succ lib humor behind.

The bit where he was wringing his hands about antifa breaking a window pretty much closed the coffin on that show for me.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

cringing my skull through my face at that tweet

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

sponges posted:

How the heck are they planning to kill Homelander?

He's an on-the-nose superman expy so there must be a kryptonite!

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

If there's any upper limit to his super strength/eye lasers I guess if you could collapse a sufficiently large amount of earth on him, like by luring him into a deep cavern?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

etalian posted:

I'm just excited get another season of crazy Antony Starr acting as Homelander.

yeah, honestly bury him in emmies.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Yeah done right watching him try to get his head around not having the immediate, Godlike upper hand and maybe even having to break down and beg would be satisfying.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Straight White Shark posted:

I feel like this is an artifact of network TV schedules more than anything. If The Boys ran for 13 episodes, yeah, they'd need to mix it up and throw in a couple breaks from the season arc. But streaming shows aren't beholden to arbitrary season lengths and don't need to pad out their run to meet an order. That's the other side of the streaming/serialization debate; streaming schedules allows shows to tell much tighter stories than were ever practical in the network TV era. Shows that try to do the heavily serialized format and drag it out really suck, yeah, but the best solution is generally to just cut out the cruft entirely, not to replace it with filler.

Not saying you're wrong but the dogshit pacing of everything Netflix puts out (every marvel hero beat em up spins its wheels from like eps 4-7; Stranger Things Season 1 could have been a 130 minute movie, easily) sure does not leverage this advantage of the format.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

LOL that it looks like The Deep's trajectory for S2. is going to be trying to make it back into the Majors by stopping the Boys and just eating poo poo.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

GimpInBlack posted:

Black Noir is definitely as hosed up as the rest of the Seven, even if he's not necessarily hosed up in the same way as the rest of the Seven. Overall this show is really good at humanizing all of its characters without necessarily sympathizing with all of them. Even Homelander with his "god among men" attitude is a very understandably human monster.

Yeah it's a shame Starr isn't just being shipped a crate of Emmys. The fake out quick violent daydream this episode was great. He still needs the adulation of everyone contrary to what he told himself (literally) last episode and knows the libidinal joy of eye lasering hundreds of protestors would cost him too many precious "points."

I also like how they're laying the groundwork for the reveal about Stormfront a piece at a time so event the dimmer bulbs in the audience can have the joy of figuring it out and waiting for her to mask off. Reinvinted herself a lot, mom named with a given name so German it smells like sauerkraut, dropping the mask to rant about untermenchen every so often, Giancarlos expo dump about the Mengelesque origins of vought.

With the two most potent supes "teaming up" as it were, Maeve's insurgency of the B-listers doesn't seem to have a chance. In the long arc of the series it seems like the only weapon they can bring to bear to match Homelander is Homelander Jr.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Yes, because a cloistered preteen superhuman with no friends is going to remain his mom's pure and innocent little angel once puberty begins. Especially with a healthy fear of his father who will continue to tell him to "let loose" because "he's a god."

Homelander might be an rear end in a top hat, but to an angry, horny, and repressed teenage boy, he'd be the "fun" parent.

You are underestimating William Butcher's appeal as the Fun Uncle who lets you play with his nunchuks and sip a beer.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

sliami posted:

billy butcher planned to kill the kid

I have enough trust in the writing to think butcher is gonna get an arc, too tho, instead of just spinning his wheels stuck on "kill/abandon the supe freak kid." Maybe it starts utilitarian realizing you need to fight supes with supes and he comes to like the kid in his own right and reconcile with Becca?

They've already shown that achieving his goal of finding Becca and finding she doesn't want him and he doesn't really want her with the "baggage" of a supe bastard kind of softened him up in the guts at least for a bit.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Bioshuffle posted:

What are some of the biggest plot holes we've seen this season?

I've managed to find a few myself- such as Kimiko being allowed to just run free after her terrorist brother gets snapped in half like a twig with the world's worst ever neck snap. I also pointed out that it made no sense for Kimiko's brother to just rush in instead of throwing things at them.

Some other goons have pointed out that Butcher's easy peezy escape from the Vought compound made no sense at all, as well as Black Noir just hiding in plain sight and being completely ignored by the first responders. What are some of the other ones?

I feel like these are the old trap of confusing "things that are presented or not shown for narrative convenience/characters not doing what we would do if the show was a Choose Your Own Adventure To Maximize Tactical Utility" with "plot holes."

Kimiko escaped while Stormfront was basking in the afterglow of her libidinal delight in doing superpowered hate crimes. Kimiko's brother arguably made a tactical error but we don't know how his powers work and we can't assume that he operates on perfect pragmatic maximization of them at all times.

The last two we can just chalk up to butcher being good at what he does. Ultimately the story isn't really about the "how" of him getting into the compound, it's about his interaction with Becca. So a five minute heist-like sequence of him ducking patrols and using gadgets to thwart cameras doesn't really serve the story. We get little nuggets of him indicating "good at tradecraft" is in his skill portfolio (like snapping SIMM cards) and should take it as read. Likewise him spotting the erstatz batman we can assume that (1) it's just exaggerated for the audience to see what Billy sees and (2) Batman lurking on a dormer in a suburban cul-de-sac is a funny sight gag in the dark superhero comedy show.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Collateral posted:

One of the more egregious plot holes for me was Becca dropping that Billy is and always was a horrible violent man, it just felt unearned. They released a short called Butcher which happens before Frenchie gets in touch, which does cover over the hole, but again still feels after the fact. Season 1 repeatedly showed and told us, that he became a weapon after Becca was raped and disappeared. I am just putting it down to unreliable narrators, for my own peace of mind.

That short and the deleted scenes should absolutely be watched as some set up plot points that unfold later.

I disagree. The "hitherto nice guy turns into a revenge-driven psycho" maybe be a genre trope, but it makes sense that Butcher was some kind of Operator/black bag guy before he met Becca. Grace Mallory may have honed him even more sharply after the loss of Becca, but I don't think she was starting from a butterknife.

One of my favorite takes on Frank Castle was in the Punisher: Born. He was a complete violent nutcase in Vietnam, just given into bloodlust. He went back to his family and shelved the worst impulses for a while, then their murder just let the animal back out of the cage. It was always bubbling just below the surface.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Durzel posted:

In a world where the general public know about Compound V I don't feel like Homelander having a son is particularly great leverage, really. I also feel like the whole "here's your first and final offer, don't release the pics ok?" "done" was tying that all up in a bow a bit too easily, but I suppose we'll see it unravel shortly. I mean if you're being strictly pedantic BN could torture Hughey, MM and Butcher until they gave over the photos that don't exist, etc rather than just walking away.

The show is great fun but like most shows of this kind it sortof falls apart narratively when you have basically invulnerable dudes fighting regular people. What can "The Boys" really do, the Compound V leak didn't do poo poo.

Yeah I wouldn't exactly call this one a "plot hole" but it felt a little flimsy and like a pulled punch.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Of all the dumb bullshit in the comics, the decision to make The Boys physically superior to 99% of all supers is the most absolutely insane one, even beyond the normal Ennis grossout stuff. It completely and totally undercuts all tension in every single fight or confrontation that doesn't involve Homelander for the entire comics run. It's loving bizarre.

This is why I'm willing to forgive a little flimsiness with some of the blackmail, bargains, and such: sometimes it's a stretch but at least it's not as boring as if the Boys were basically "also supes, but the good ones because they are more openly psychotic and say swears more."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Ironically enough The Deep is doing actual heroics WRT liberating his fish friends if you believe the show's take that they have consciousness and a rich inner life, and as much as his sex creeping his gently caress up of the seaworld sponsorship got Vought to exile him to Decatur or whatever.