Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 17 days!)

i didn't like s2 as much because homelander's hair went straight back instead of off-center parted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Open Source Idiom posted:

It's genuinely terrible, one of the worst fake British accents I've heard since Buffy. I love Karl Urban, but jesus.

off topic, but who do you mean from buffy? because the main three english people on that show all have really good accents and one of them is actually english.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

i basically enjoyed s2 at the time but i felt like they kind of ruined homelander as a villain and afterwards i have been pretty uninterested in the show

but the trailer showing that butcher at least is going to get powers is enough to make me curious what happens from there. just fuckin go for it, imo, no need to drag this out. don't need any more weak 'i'll release this tape if you don't play nice' stalling.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

episode 4 was pretty good. the first 3 felt like a waste of time to me and i was losing interest in the show but some stuff finally occurred here.

homelander feels like a threat again after being sort of ruined in s2, but in a different way from s1. in s1 there was some hilarity and glee around his shittiness, but now he's just horrible down to every single line he says. so it would a good idea to either kill him at the end of this season, or at least fundamentally change the dynamics (ie, remove his powers for a season or something) if they really want to keep him around for the entire run.

i think the show would be better if frenchie and kimiko were killed off. kimko has good fights but her character is now so anti-the show that she's a drag, and at this point i'm skipping any scene where frenchie is the focus. a-train and the deep are both pointless now but they are at least kind of funny sometimes. frenchie's just a complete void of interest for me.

it was nice to get a scene of maeve this episode. she's a lot more interesting than some of the poo poo they've been focusing on. i wonder why she's only had 2 scenes this entire season so far, other than the in-story idea that she's laying low.

i am guessing the 3 vials maeve gave butcher is more like 12 doses or something because it seems like butcher would be adamant about keeping at least 1 for the eventual homelander confrontation rather than just juicing up for every job.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Can't see Kimiko dying without that whole singing bit paying off in one way or another.

yeah me neither. for all the show's obscenity, it really plays it safe with it's core cast. i don't think they will ever kill off frenchie and kimiko, i just think they should.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Shageletic posted:

Frenchie's and Kimiko's interactions this ep was like my favorite thing about the episode. I'm on the not killing them train.

And you didn't find anything to like about the first three episodes? What do you like about the show other than winnowing down the cast?

right now i like hughie, butcher when he's with hughie, maeve, ashley, stan edgar, and i want to see the resolution to the homelander storyline along with whatever they have for soldier boy and black noir. the vicky stuff has also been decent, better than i was expecting since i barely registered her last season. starlight's watchable but i would like her to have something to do other than being terrorised by/righteously pissed off at the institutions she repeatedly chooses to be a part of.

kimiko covering her eyes to avoid seeing hughie's dick this episode got a laugh from me. she doesn't bore me the way frenchie does, i just think her whole thing is not really wanting to be involved in this violent world. i don't like it when characters who do not want to be in the story continue to be in it when they don't have to be. so they don't need to kill them but i don't want to watch that kind of equivocating, or things which are tangents and not interesting on their own.

the first three episode just felt a lot like, let's get the boys back together (again), homelander's being a sadist (again), there's some previous era supe causing trouble (again). the actual new stuff, like hughie in vicky's office, just didn't get much time but y'know we can watch the deep be sad about eating fish and a-train flirt with but fail to become a better person for the third season in a row.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Elephant Ambush posted:

It's also a "cycle of abuse" thing where people who are abused end up doing the same things to other people

If Homelander ever finds out that Ashley is doing that poo poo she is dead as gently caress

doing what? her kinky sex?

i don't think homelander would care. he just sees ashley as what she is: a toady. he'd probably laugh and ignore it to move on to whatever he wanted to talk about.

i did like her reusing the stupid line this episode though. she's so simple. if she got powers, she'd be one of the worst.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

yeah a train will go fast again at some point, but i think it's weird how they don't really address whether he even technically has any powers at all. when he fought with the deep i was still unclear on if these guys were also generically super strong or not, they didn't seem to be and have never shown any feats of strength that i can remember. so if a train can't run, isn't he just a guy?

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Imo they seem to be two sides of the same coin. They share powers, a lover, and basically a son. Both of them are willing to engage in heinous acts to pursue their goals. The more interesting part for me is where they differ.

Homelander is fundamentally incapable of making friends. He is so viscerally repulsive that even his own son hates him. Meanwhile, Butcher is a pretty likable guy. He'll put you through hell, but there are plenty of people who would go to bat for him including that same child and his mother.

Now, you could take all this and claim that the only difference is that Homelander is a god and butcher isn't, that the power has shaped who they are and if Butcher were to have the power Homelander had he'd act in the exact same way. I don't think it's as simple as that, though.

i think butcher just has a base level confidence in himself, which gets shaken sometimes because he's also a huge dickhead and it makes people furious at him, but he bounces back pretty easily. he has a normal human desire for approval from certain people, mainly MM and Hughie, but he'll push through without it.

homelander on the other hand has absolutely no self-confidence at all, due to his upbringing. he's become addicted to violence as his escape from that, it's his only means of gratification. he can coerce people into appearing to care about him.

that's the only way i can think of them as two sides of the same coin but i don't think it's neat or even intended, more that they just have become intertwined via circumstances beginning with butcher wanting revenge over a woman.

i don't think butcher would end up anything like homelander if he had permanent powers. he might be terrible, but not in the same way at all.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

a cool between seasons episode, or even after the show, would be an in-universe hour of dawn of the seven. i want to see homelander hamming it up as the good guy. i want to see girls getting it done.

Alchenar posted:

I just went back and looked at some Season 1 clips and without the muscle definition lines on the suit Anothony Star actually looks a bit soft. They definitely did some tucking and work on that.

i thought he was supposed to be obviously physically just a normal, skinny guy under the padded suit. he doesn't need any normal muscles and probably has no fighting skills at all since he doesn't need them, he just tanks everything and lasers people.

there might be a scene in his undoing when his suit gets blasted off and padding goes flying everywhere.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

tokin opposition posted:

Sometimes I think about media literacy being good but then I remember that means a combination of reading TVtropes for fiction and the new York times according to a majority of obnoxious English teachers, librarians, and other PMC nerds

tv shows do often go off the rails, though. it's hard to 100% predict where anything is going regardless of how well you can read the writing, because sometimes writers just decide to veer left into something that wasn't set up, or contradicts things, or is in bad taste, etc.

i don't see a homelander redemption coming though. in s1 there were brief moments of childlike emotions to go along with his terrible personality, but he's actively chosen to become more malignant at every new development in his life. people often only change for the better because they're forced to by getting checked by the world. homelander doesn't have that restriction so he can always choose violence and coercion, and it always works.

there's only really space for him to move emotionally towards defeat, and that will only come via humbling by either losing his powers or finally encountering someone who can kill him.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

edit: eh, forget it. thread's been a mess already and i'm just poking at stuff not worth talking about.

roomtone fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jun 13, 2022

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

PostNouveau posted:

Yeah, Kimiko is coping with her disability. I mean, her life sucks poo poo, but it doesn't really have anything to do with being mute. It's a hack trope to just magically have it fixed.

I think the kind of muteness kimiko has is extremely rare in adults in real life, as in, not due to deafness or any kind of physical issue, but purely a reaction to some experience, and when it does occur it isn't necessarily all the time, or long-lasting, the way it often gets portrayed in fiction. I think it's lazier to just have it be a fact nobody examines, because it's not a disability in the same way being physically deaf or blind is, it's a mental block. She could just start speaking again, doesn't even need an explicit fix. Pick a dramatic moment.

I might be wrong about how muteism works (let me know), but I don't think this is a situation where the writers deserve props for disability representation. I think she's mute because the original comic was written by an edgelord who wanted a token girl in the team but who was childlike and silent, and japanese for even more nerd points. I mean she's called 'the female'. The show has softened it a bit by giving her a name and probably more attention than she got in the comics which I haven't read, but the dna of the character is really not good.

roomtone fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jun 13, 2022

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

PostNouveau posted:

It's the Walter White treatment. They have to present offramps often to emphasize that he's not being forced by circumstance into anything and is actively choosing this.

I don't think it's anywhere close to Walter White levels of bad choice road. A-trains choice with the homelander thing isn't the same - his life is at huge risk either way, making superpowered enemies on either side. He chose (apparently) the side that is as far as he knows, impossible to defeat. Of course he always has the choice of just quitting entirely and living a quiet life, but that's true for every character - and with homelander around, still might get him killed anyway for no reason.

I think the a-train stuff is just to show that he's not a complete piece of poo poo like homelander, or unmitigatingly stupid like the deep - he's kind of an average, semi-bogus person who has been given a taste of something nobody ever gets, and whatever scruples he has aren't enough to stop him from choosing the thing that means he can keep getting that taste. This is what most people would be like, I think.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

since butcher was taking the v the next night anyway he probably could've just taken it to do that hitjob and still been juiced up for the real job. time it so it's less than a 24 hour gap between jobs. he was still keeping it a secret at that point but he had to have known there was a good chance the jig would be up the next day anyway.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

homelander's invincibility has always just been taken as an absolute on the show so far, with this possible superweapon as the only caveat. i think it's weird how they've never had characters at least ask things like whether he needs to breathe. he refers to going to space, so i suppose not, but they don't seem to think outside the box in terms of how they could handle him. if everything has been tried and failed, they should say so on the show, because nobody has ever tried at all. he eats and drinks, right? i don't remember him ever doing it, but they could try drugging his food to knock him out and then drown him. probably wouldn't work but it could have been tried.

i mean he was delayed by that cave-in for several minutes one time so it is at least possible to keep him in one spot for a period of time.

also he's aging normally physically, as far as we know. other supes are longlived, but nobody's ever said that about homelander, so will his powers remain the same until he's old? will he actually die?

there's a lot they haven't gone into and i don't think it's besides the point to ask this stuff since this is the show's main storyline.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I think the closest we came to that was the super terrorist who lived almost an entire episode.

A terrorist who's power set is to blow himself up. Yea that wasn't on the mark or anything.

they completely dropped this and almost totally dropped the superheroes in the military stuff. with the super terrorists thing, okay maybe they realised they were veering into looking racist, but since they also did it with the military thing i think they just decided they didn't want to widen their scope too much and keep it focused mostly on the psychology and relationship dramas of the main cast.

roomtone fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jun 15, 2022

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

jabby posted:

I do think the show has been doing a lot of telling rather than showing when it comes to him being SO FAR above the other supes that he has potentially Godlike power.

OK, so everyone is terrified of him. And he apparently ripped apart Supersonic easily enough, although we don't know how strong Supersonic was.

He's just so untested otherwise though. Even his main power, the laser eyes, are now shared by Butcher and the laser-baby. And Stormfront could even tank his eyebeams for a while. It'd just be nice to see him properly cut loose with his super-speed or something to back up his grandiose claims about destroying cities. Go full Irredeemable and show just how unfair fighting Superman would be.

it'd be okay if all this was teasing to a confrontation where half the main cast gets instantly murdered and does zero damage, but they've already skipped to the ultra secret weapon which might actually work before doing that so it'd be weird. they'll have to come up with something clever for when soldier boy fails for it all to add up.

i don't really have confidence they know what they're doing overall with homelander, it's just a bunch of elements that are more or less working when put together. when they did that lasering a crowd fakeout i thought it was such a pointless gently caress up, cos it won't hit when he actually does and introduces 'we may be bullshitting you' to every surprising moment.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

i think the black noir thing at least is going to be revealed to be due to whatever caused soldier boy's anti-supe beam.

as in he's normally invulnerable but that hosed him up and is why he has scars.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

watching it just now but i want to say: butcher and maeve in more scenes together. i like this.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

And then the scene of all the Soldier Boy, Butcher and Hughie going off to be assholes while the only good people, MM and Starlight, don't go with them.

Hughie's constant 'wahh lemme save you' is pathetic and probably only there to make him seem wrong

but starlight and mm have zero ideas on how to handle homelander, so i'm not with them. homelander's an extinction threat. you have a shot to eliminate him, take it. and last episode starlight seemed on board with this and now she suddenly isn't.

soldier boy can at least definitely be contained, since he just was for decades. plus he seems to move only at normal human speed so people would at least have time to react, where homelander could just snap at any moment and wipe a city out before anybody knew what was happening. and then every city!

roomtone fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jun 17, 2022

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

that was probably the best ep this season so far for me. not much downtime. although you bet your rear end i was hitting that skip button past the kimiko frenchie musical number sorry

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

what exactly are the scheduling conflicts going on with maeve's actress? i just googled it and nothing is coming up. will she be barely in it again now that she's been captured? back for s4 or what's the deal?

she's one of the better characters on the show so it's been a shame.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Crespolini posted:

Otoh, it's a visual medium

yeah there is 'well logically he must be invincible because everyone on the show believes he is and they're all very strong' and there's 'holy poo poo, this guy is loving invincible'

i think they've kind of fumbled the execution of homelander over the course of show so far. not totally convinced by a lot of their status quo maintaining plot moves, his preoccupations and selective stupidity seem more intended to keep the character distracted so they don't have to go to the distraction that something that he'd actually do. like, he's cutting through all the bullshit one moment and sitting in a board meeting the next, past the point of caring then back to worrying about approval numbers again. it just feels a bit juddering to me rather than smooth development.

but the core performance and concept is compelling enough that it stays above water. if they end this well, it won't matter as much. all depends on what they do.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Mat Cauthon posted:

He is fast enough to save Butcher and Stillwell's baby in S1 without a scratch. He gets a city block and a train dropped on him in S2. People like Maeve (hit by a truck) Starlight (took a .50 cal to the chest) and Noir (lived through a supe explosion) are terrified of him.

Short of a sequence of him tearing through a battlefield full of tanks or something I don't know how much more they can convey his invincibility.

A scene of him tearing through a battlefield of tanks wouldn't hurt. But I think something like a super powered punch to the face where he didn't flinch but the puncher's fist disintegrates would do the trick, doesn't need to be that expensive.

The debris/train falling on him didn't hurt him, but there's no indication it would even hurt maeve or the other durable supes. It did slow him down though, which suggest there are limits to what he can do more than anything.

The rest of the things you said are off-screen and characters saying he's invincible which is the thing some of us are saying isn't as good as seeing it, so I don't know why you're bringing those up.

Panfilo posted:

With Homelander, I imagine it's going to be like when a depowered Q experiences hunger for the first time :byodood: "I'm dying!"

yeah he's gonna cry at the first slap he feels.

roomtone fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Jun 17, 2022

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

there was a perfect opportunity to just resolve frenchie and kimiko's roles on the show in this episode, when the camera pans up the hospital from..something, i forget what, but it was something bad and they were just sitting there, powerless and happily oblivious to what was going on because they were out. kimiko speaks, her mental roadblock is unblockified, and all is well. bye you two, have a good life okay back to the insane murder wars ah poo poo here's nina with more irrelevant threats.

roomtone fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jun 17, 2022

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

soldier probably is homophobic, we know he's sexist, unless that changed during the torture. the story is heading in the 'we have become the bad guys' direction for butcher and hughie, and soldier boy needs to be a huge piece of poo poo for them teaming up with him to sell that

but that specific moment is all there is of it in this episode, and ackles acting does not read as disgust. that's not a disgust face that's a 'huh, weird. well all right i guess' expression.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Starks posted:

I think I missed something, do they explain why Soulja boy and Stormfront don’t age but Maeve and Countess do? I assumed they were frozen Captain America style or something but they bring it up like 3 times and make a point to say SB looked young before the tube. Does Homelander age?

i figure he has to if they haven't cleared it up by now. i think homelander is potentially supposed to be younger than his anthony starr, or at least we've to ignore that.

googling says he was born 'before 1994', but he didn't exist during the previous supe generations.

quote:

I like Anthony Starr but there’s not that much scenery left for him to chew.

good way of putting it

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

alexandriao posted:

Hugie not understanding that the entire reason Starlight loves him is because he had a purity uncorrupted by those around him, is predictably tragic.

I kinda feel it's on her for not expecting him to be affected by... anything that has happened to this point, to be honest.

I'm with Hughie on this aspect of things just now, it's the first time I've ever really even had an opinion on his character.

Everyone around him basically keeps telling him he's such a pure boy and should behave accordingly, but terrible things keep happening around him and he repeatedly gets used - I don't blame him for saying gently caress it and getting active. He's done his work with the system phase and it turned out to be a hilarious ruse. They have layered in some male inadequacy (must save my gf) and junkie notes (staring out the window high while kimiko is dying) to make it seem like he's wrong to do this, though.

I think I'm most curious about where this is all heading - because I suspect it's going to end up with Butcher and Hughie going 'too far' on something, causing some innocent deaths or taking joy in killing someone, whatever, and end up condemning that approach in favour of Starlight and MM who were tut tutting all along. It'll be interesting to see politically where it ends up, is the boys going to say look, no matter how violent and insane the conditions are, the only ethical approach is to play by the rules invented by the people who ignore them, or will it surprise me by not saying that.

roomtone fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jun 18, 2022

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

let's give a-train some temp v and see what happens

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Jerusalem posted:

To be fair to Starlight, the situation with Soldier Boy was basically:

Hughie: I needed to take Temp V because we have to deal with Soldier Boy and without superpowers I can't stop him, superpowers were needed and I don't have them so what else could I do?
Starlight: I have superpowers.
Hughie: Yeah but that makes me feel emasculated so that option is out the window.

Then it turns out that he was in on Butcher's plan to team up with Soldier Boy anyway. If the aim was to throw Soldier Boy at Homelander in the hopes he can hurt him or even depower him long enough for a V'ed up Butcher to laser-eye him to death, then why does Hughie need super powers? He knew he didn't need them but took the temp V anyway because what he really wants is to feel "powerful", because despite his success and rising status in the world he still feels like less of a "man" because his girlfriend is stronger than him.

I've talked about Hughie's insecurity being a thing they've thrown in to make his actions less justifiable - it's not a story point I like, but even if you accept it, Starlight's hang-up about the plan wasn't that Hughie was taking the V, it was that soldier boy was a murderer. If she agreed with the plan, she would still be angry about the temp v, but she would've gone along with them. Instead she watches them go, offering no alternative ideas of what to do about the impending nuclear bomb running Vought.

Last episode she said they absolutely had to get the weapon, the plan had to work. Now she's changed her mind because she thinks the weapon is a bad person, but is he worse than homelander? She doesn't know, she just draws her line. That's okay for her but it's doesn't help anybody.

quote:

As for MM, his plan appeared to be to use a system he knows works to incapacitate Soldier Boy. After that, I'm assuming he would have put him into the Colonel's care where he would be off the table as a threat who could kill more innocent people like his family or the 19 people who got wiped out in the recent explosion, and maybe he could have a little closure on his own trauma and finally put that part of his life behind him to focus on the future and his daughter.

I don't remember MM talking about having a specific plan for what to do with soldier boy, and he only found out he was alive at the end of last episode.

If he did plan to capture Soldier Boy though, it's still not a good plan. His powers have changed/enhanced. They all know this, so the idea of taking him against his will might not even be possible at this point. It makes a lot more sense to try and turn him into an asset first, rather than immediately make an enemy of him - and the temp v gives them some insurance if he turned out to be hostile, which he didn't (yet). That's what Butcher and Hughie are doing in this episode.

quote:

Both MM and Starlight's plans are about what MM said: drawing a line so you stay human. Butcher and increasingly Hughie are becoming "the ends justify the means" types which means they're both on the way to becoming the same thing that they supposedly hate - superpowered monsters who do whatever they want with impunity and get away with it because it supposedly serves some "greater good".

I get what you're saying, but the v they are using being temporary isn't an insignificant distinction. They aren't on their way to becoming superpowered monsters, because they have a very short term timeframe on when they will return to being human - regardless of Hughie loving the experience, he physically can't become a permanent supe and the temp v supplies are limited and will run out.

So it's not the same thing, really. There's no slip to the slope.

It's basically a decision on whether you want to stick to your emotional line in the sand and lose, or cross it and even the playing field. There is the option of doing nothing and just leaving the situation, but there would be consequences to that as well. Every time Homelander killed someone from then on, it's a little bit your fault, because you had a chance and didn't take it.

The stakes are so heightened that there are few real life situations you can imagine that would be analogous but I think if somebody had the nuclear codes and were threatening to launch, you would be justified in using a less destructive weapon to kill them - a gun, a smaller bomb, whatever. How could you justify not doing that? The difference between temp v and homelander is comparable.

roomtone fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Jun 18, 2022

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

i just want to see him cry after he feels pain for the first time ever. it will be very funny.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

the thing is, the boys isn't even particularly good social commentary. 'oh these people we amp up are bad, right wing america the worst thing ever. don't cross too many lines though, could end up being morally wrong if you think about it, which we do cos we're the good ones'. that's all the show really has to say.

like yeah we all know this. it's US democrat crap. good as a basis for a laugh here and there, but it's not cutting that deep at all.

and this is what drives these isolated boys insane, of all things. i guess because they mostly are here for the superpowers part, and want to enjoy homelander murking bitches.

on the one hand, that's a deep hole for us to be in. on the other hand, you don't really need to pay attention to it. most people aren't even aware of the boys, and the other factor is, of those people, it's a small hyper internet poisoned group. some of them will be people that post in this thread, i'm probabaly internet poisoned, but there are people out there who just don't have the background for inbuilt resistances to horseshit who are easy marks for bad ideas.

roomtone fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Jun 21, 2022

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

that doesn't really contradict what i said, but i agree it is the 'subject matter' the show focuses on when it comes to poltical satire - as in, lampooning pepople like ashley (primarily) and homelander, then a-train as the bad democrat and the deep as our punching bag. the idea that they ape the trends but feel nothing other than profit. individual scenes have individual statements and i think i summarised the majority of them with my simplified examples of tone.

i don't think it's the core of the show though. the core of the show is superpowered individuals and individuality as the building block of society, like most shows. but i know that's very abstract to the point where you'd need a thread on the subject of how american tv works rather than the superman but he is a rapist show, i was just mildly surprised that even this gets some pushback.

there's a trend in some stuff i've been watching lately where it's like - hey, this thing we're making is kind of gross, maybe you shouldn't be enjoying it on the level we're presenting it. but my question is...then why are you making it, own up to what you're putting down, or don't do it. the boys goes out of its way to make homelander, the MAIN character make no mistake, seem disgusting, but it's still endlessly fascinated by him, and its broader jabs at culture at like 'wow, social media is false', which yeah, we all know. it's more of a concession to the audience's current taste than an actual core.

i'm a bit all over the place here i know, but i think the boys is a really interesting nugget of mainstream culture because of how it tries to skewer it and embodies it at the same time.

roomtone fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Jun 21, 2022

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Cpt_Obvious posted:

The supes are allegories for larger constructs. They aren't supposed to be taken at face value.

do you think i'm not aware of this or something

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Well then it can't be individualistic.

my underlying assumption is that the US media's current fascination with superheroes is deepbly embedded with it's idea of freedom being individuals who don't need to rely on anybody else - to the point where you have people who call themselves left wing but still think of themselves as individual units against the world

then the other aspect of it where it's a fascinating power fantasy about 'what if YOU were the ultimate police, and said what goes', which is fun as entertainment, but it is so widespread in the current media output that i don't look at any single example of it as it's own thing, including the boys.

the boys is a reaction by people who have the political awareness to feel bad about this state of affairs, but then go ahead and perpetuate it anyway, except 'our way'. this is one of the reasons why i'm so interested to see how the show wraps up, because will they eventually just sort of get in line with the right wing agenda and say 'THOSE idiots are bad, but fundamentally the rules are good', or will they somehow sneak past a 'no, making a compromise based on imposed morality is pathetic' sort of idea even though the show is produced by one of the nexuses of capitalist evil. all signs right now at to the former but it i'm enjoying the show on a basic entertainment level even though the writing isn't that great, b- i guess.

roomtone fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Jun 21, 2022

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

yeah i know, let's just bring it back to what's actually in the writing of the show for a sec here to make my point clearer

hughie says to starlight twice in the most recent episode, 'you and me against the world'. these are the 'good guys' - i know hughie is on his hosed Up arc right now, but he is one of the main if not the main good guys of the show, with kimiko and frenchie also filling that role in a very lazy and fetishized capacity which we're already gone over in the thread - like, just leave the boys kimiko, if you don't want to be here. Base covered of 'don't even participate'.

So they write this line in for Hughie, with the dissonance being not that he is wrong, but that he is not living up to that. If he was being honest with Starlight all the way, and they were in sync, it'd be pretty straight down the line good feelings. Because that's how it was before he took the temp V, the power move. What Hughie is doing right now with Butcher - which I think is not just justifiable but pretty much necessary in the world of the show - is being compromised with this 'you and me' lie, along with his patriarchal bullshit being slapped on, to identify Hughie as wrong, because he's going nuts just because of how pissed off he is.

The issue I take with that, on the level of outlook on the show, on the level of them even creating this idea for new conflict in this relationship, is that it's basically false. Homelander is, like you mention, the metaphor for unaccountable powers worldwide. The man can do whatever he wants, and literally cums at the thought. He WILL kill you, it's just a matter of when he feels like doing it. Your only hope is obscurity and irrelevance.

So in opposition to that unmitigated evil, we have Hughie, Starlight, MM, Butcher - eating themselves alive over oh jeez should we really be doing this, in a collective sense, obviously all the characters have their designated points of view. I'm saying the writing is currently showing all signs of condemning Hughie and Butcher for breaking the power rule. Because Starlight isn't furious at Hughie and Butcher for killing people, they've both been involved in a lot of killing on the show. She's angry at them for taking power into their own hands, power nobody should have but especially not 'the good guys'.

I don't think the dichotomy of power vs power has to even be portrayed as this sort of 'you become what you hate' battle, that's another choice the writers made I assume by default, because of the things I mentioned before, but even if it IS, to be saying Hughie, of all people here, is loving up, is very, very establishment of the show. So I suspect that's where it is gonna land. I think I am looking at this on a more basic level than the writers ever did and I'm not calling them shitheads or anything, but as a collective enterprise, the boys amazon product, I think this is what we're going to get in the end.

roomtone fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Jun 21, 2022

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

i don't think the distinction of soldier boy being a human being with agency saves starlight here

she was fine to use the nuke to end all nukes when the nuke didn't have anything to say about it, but now that it might, she's against it

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

with soldier boy i think all the info revealed so far is that he's awful

i) sexist to mallory
ii) every supe on the squad hated him
iii) he was physically abusive to a young gunpowder
iv) no sense of his PR displays having real consequences
v) he reacted slightly negatively to the gay couple

then there's the show-adjacent material of him being a jackass at best. there's basically no hint of him being cool, nice, or moral anywhere. nothing that says irredeemable either, which is definitely intentional because people want to like him as an alternative hero to homelander and people like jensen ackles.

they could either go with this or subvert it, there's no way to tell really because the setup is so obvious and the writers probably know people will expect him to be terrible. the more entertaining thing would be for him to be kind of a shithead, but reasonable. i'd enjoy watching hughie and MM try to get through to a knucklehead and ultimately suceeded, since this show has spent so much time showing lovely people continue to be lovely so far.

roomtone fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jun 21, 2022

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Did you mean sexually abusive? Because that was a lie.
lol people are still misreading the gay couple scene

He's definitely an rear end in a top hat though. It would be a funny twist if he was just an rear end in a top hat who wanted to do drugs and party and not some insane monster, but I doubt it.

i said physically so no

and the gay couple scene has been talked to death but it was there for a reason. they didn't have him freak out or applaud, he just went 'huh'. keeps you guessing, but it was there and won't contradict if he does a whole 'so we have homos out in the open now?' bit next episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Bust Rodd posted:

No, even when they were alone with Ryan and no cameras he would roll his eyes and suck his teeth like “yikes, uh, no, we don’t need to do all the Ubermenschen stuff”, the show takes pains to illustrate that his hatred is agnostic of race or gender, he hates everyone equally simply for not being perfect. That has a lot of overlap with Nazi poo poo but as Stormfront herself points out, actually being a Nazi is the unpopular part.

yeah, this is one of the things I like about Homelander's character overall. He isn't actually racist - most young people (homelander isn't young but you know what i mean) aren't actually racist the way older people are, back when they just didn't encounter other groups of people so never normalised it. It just wouldn't really track other than an obvious villain plot, for Homelander to ACTUALLY be a white supremacist. His basic behaviour is only racist because the society he lives in facilitates and occasionally rewards that, like with him gaining a base of hardcore nazis due to his Stormfront affiliation.

The more insidious thing to do with him is make him all about the individual/himself. He doesn't really seem to care about race, only brings up Maeve's bisexuality because he's a petty poo poo but still clearly craves her respect, etc. There's no deep seated racism in Homelander, the thing is, he just doesn't give a gently caress about anybody except himself, and that follows through to every single interaction he ever has with another person. If they can service his emotional needs in that moment, they are fine with him, if they don't, he'll either kill, or just invent some convenient excuse why their opinion doesn't matter.