Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Part 14 - Adventure on Ghost Island

This level did some interesting things, like starting me out in the forest with the mist covering up half the map. That was clever and I appreciated it, even if I got turned around a bit. Having Oars as this gigantic presence jumping about the level was kind of cool too, but I wish you could have attacked his stomach too. Just standing there waiting for him to do an attack you can actually hurt him before or after he executes it was a bit annoying. That, and the second round with Oars felt a bit needless, though I realize it was a pretty long fight in the manga. I also kind of wish all the Straw Hats would have grouped together to help fight him, especially since I saw a few of them literally just standing around doing nothing as I tried to whittle away Oars' health. Getting to play as Brook was pretty fun, though. Never got tired of seeing his run cycle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Part 15 - Adventure on the Archipelago of Dancing Soap Bubbles

I'm honestly surprised that title length was allowed.

A nice, simply chapter was nice to play through after the chaos that was Thriller Bark. Aside from resurrecting Pacifistas , it was pretty straight-forward from start to finish. I liked how a lot of the level was just running the gently caress away from the enemies as the massive robots slowly closed in, and the likes of Sentomaru and Kizaru sometimes butting in. And of course Law had to be involved, and I'm thankful for that since I do like the guy. Granted, I wish most of the Supernovas had even half the relevance he's gotten since his debut, but what can be done? I didn't like Franky's cola meter. Like I get why it was there, but it's one of those instances where I think deviating from canon was more than acceptable. In any case, I'm ready for the chaos of the massive jailbreak of Impel Down, really hoping it's just a mess of violence and mayhem. At least as much as a game like this can do, of course.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Part 16 - The Underwater Prison Impel Down

The level was a bit of a pain to go through, I'm guessing because I didn't have too many coins available to put on Jinbe. I would think maybe buffing him up his levels would balance that out, but I guess not. Really made the stage a slog at some points, especially when going back to fight Minotaurus those multiple times. If I could only had unlocked Vagabond Drill, things probably would've been far smoother. I did kind of like how all the levels of the prison were somewhat represented as I went through, though of course highly miniaturized. I didn't actually expect to be able to play as anyone but Luffy, assuming the regular story mode was Straw Hats only. I hadn't noticed the little faction wheel to the left when I checked the playable characters last time. Pretty excited to see how Marineford gets handled, and I'll assume the Post-War arc won't be covered, I can't imagine how it would be since Luffy never fights anyone at all and no one attacks him. Even Post-Enies Lobby Arc at least had Garp chasing after him. Then the timeskip comes and the new movesets and designs that come with it.

TheKirbs
Feb 16, 2018

True reality is on this side of the screen

Jimbei is a character who really needs space to get started because all his moves feel like they move so slow and he's easily interrupted. You either have to predict ahead of time where the enemy will be so you can start the attack early or be good with his R1counter. I found his simple square combo to be best if I had room and his combo where he picks up an enemy and uses them to smack around everyone else if I was surrounded, they were my most used moves with him.

And you're right his Lv2 special is so much better than the level 1.

You'd have been better off using Ivanko, they are tied with Caesar for for the 2nd best non Kizuna Rush clearance moves and can easily wipe out whole rooms with a single combo. They're Lv2 special is much better than their Lv1 as well.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

TheKirbs posted:

Jimbei is a character who really needs space to get started because all his moves feel like they move so slow and he's easily interrupted. You either have to predict ahead of time where the enemy will be so you can start the attack early or be good with his R1counter. I found his simple square combo to be best if I had room and his combo where he picks up an enemy and uses them to smack around everyone else if I was surrounded, they were my most used moves with him.

And you're right his Lv2 special is so much better than the level 1.

You'd have been better off using Ivanko, they are tied with Caesar for for the 2nd best non Kizuna Rush clearance moves and can easily wipe out whole rooms with a single combo. They're Lv2 special is much better than their Lv1 as well.
Yeah, he did seem like a tank character, though apparently with how few coins for him I had he lacked the strength and just moved slowly. I will say the picking up and smacking move was fun to use though, even when I did it on solo minibosses and the like.

I would hope it would be. I was, what, one coin short from being able to have it?

Well, at least I know now for future playthroughs of that level. Will I still be okay using Crocodile next time if I level him up and manage to use a lot of coins for him? I really wanna try him out, but won't want to if he's not a viable choice.

Speaking of which, who should I use in the few arcs post-timeskip? I still have to use Robin, and Luffy I'm saving for Dressrosa, so that saves only two arcs, assuming the Return to Sabaody Arc will be playable. Which two Straw Hats work best after they get their new moves and stuff and are the most fun to play?

TheKirbs
Feb 16, 2018

TheLoneStar posted:

Well, at least I know now for future playthroughs of that level. Will I still be okay using Crocodile next time if I level him up and manage to use a lot of coins for him? I really wanna try him out, but won't want to if he's not a viable choice.

Crocodile is pretty great, his cyclones can toss enemies and bosses for days plus his lifesteal move gives him back absurd amounts of life (don't use it in a crowd, it has a long unbreakable animation which is just begging to be interrupted).

TheLoneStar posted:

Speaking of which, who should I use in the few arcs post-timeskip? I still have to use Robin, and Luffy I'm saving for Dressrosa, so that saves only two arcs, assuming the Return to Sabaody Arc will be playable. Which two Straw Hats work best after they get their new moves and stuff and are the most fun to play?

Chopper is much better post-time skip thanks to kung-fu point letting him do something other than dive into enemies in heavy point but I wouldn't consider him great.

Nami gets some additions with her weather balls and using them as a flail for more attack options so she's pretty good.

Ussop gets some additional plant attacks which change some of his moves so he has better flow and can defend himself better.

Zoro and Sanji are pretty much the same but bigger and with some better effects. Not that interesting but easy to get the hang of.

Brook gets some new moves with additional freezing and sleep effects so he is pretty fun, I personally preferred his pre time-skip sword combos but that's just me.

Robin I'm sorry to say is a disappointment post time-skip. Her giant limbs give her better range on her combs so she isn't swarmed as easy but they are still not great and worst of all they replaced her R1. Pre time-skip Robin's R1 was her hilariously broken clutch move which paralyzed a single enemy including bosses in Hero mode making any 1 on 1 fight trivial, her post-time skip one is just making a clone. She's one of the ones I much preferred using pre time-skip for. Over all she followed by Chopper are the Straw Hat I hated playing with the most, which was a shame as I loved her in Unlimited Red.

Franky though is the MVP of post time-skip moves. He goes from okay to an absolute beast, especially his one hand Coup de Vents.

Return to Sabaody is playable but only as Luffy the first time. Fishman is playable with all of them plus Jinbei and Punk Hazard has all of them plus Law, Smoker and Tashigi. Fishman Island has a bit of the Legend Log that requires you to play as either Brooke, Zoro or Ussop so pick one of them (Brook was my preference) and Punk Hazard has Treasure events requiring Zoro, Sanji and Luffy. Punk Hazard needs multiple playthroughs anyway so if you don't care about 100% or doing an extra run through it's really your choice (I like playing with Tashigi and Law).

Also Marineford has 2 chapters, don't play as Luffy or Whitebeard on the second as the map ends for them after Ace dies and cuts off some of battle.

TheKirbs fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Sep 21, 2019

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

TheKirbs posted:

Crocodile is pretty great, his cyclones can toss enemies and bosses for days plus his lifesteal move gives him back absurd amounts of life (don't use it in a crowd, it has a long unbreakable animation which is just begging to be interrupted).

His life steal is indeed beastly, especially if augmented with the right skills, but in higher difficulties is fairly difficult to use well. Also Crocodile has a special counter move, which is pretty fun and unique to use, even if it's quite situational, only Kuma has a similar move.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Thanks for the information regarding the Straw Hats, I still want to use Robin because I never got to use her onscreen. I'll probably use and Franky along with Luffy after the timeskip. I was more worried about who I would play on the channel, not between episodes. Also, Hancock has a counter move as well, a rather humorous one where she plays victim and turns opponents who attack her to stone.

Part 17 - Summit Battle

Okay so I didn't actually use Crocodile, I decided to go with Buggy because he's a fun clown. I really forgot how great it was to play as him with all the whacky poo poo he does. It also really felt like the Muggy Ball attack was OP in terms of filling up the Kizuna Meter. I really don't know how it works. I was kind of ticked about the Mihawk thing, but I'm assuming I just defeated him too fast. It was all very chaotic and also pretty entertaining, though it feels like there's so little left to do. Just Garp, Akainu, and Blackbeard/Burgess really. Compared to this episode, that seems a bit lacking in comparison. Gonna definitely use Crocodile for the next level for real this time, and it bums me out using Whitebeard will cut the mission short because he is a blast to use.

TheLoneStar fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Sep 24, 2019

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Part 18 - The War's Conclusion

The level felt so much shorter than the last (even with cutscenes), but this video is so drat long. Funny how that works. I understand the why of it, but it's still somewhat unusual that there's a level that can actually be cut short if you play as certain characters, especially since I don't think that's been the case beforehand, not that I know of at least. Fighting Blackbeard twice was kind of annoying, I get that it was showing how he was before and after gaining his second Devil Fruit but I still felt like it should've just been the latter. Gotta say though, the effects of Blackbeard showing off both his power looked really loving good, like legitimately the best the game has looked since I started playing.

Can someone explain a bit about the Kizuna Meter? I brought it up a bit in the video and the last one, but things seem so inconsistent with how fast it fills up, especially when using special attacks. Like sometimes it seems when I defeat less enemies, it fills the meter more and sometimes one-bar Special Attacks seem to work better than two-bar ones, and sometimes that's flipped like with Buggy. There just seem to be no consistent rules involved.

TheKirbs
Feb 16, 2018

I think it depends on the attack used + the enemies defeated with the attack.

Enel's move where he sends out the electricity shaped like an eastern dragon to spin around him and attack raises it insanely quickly (nearly 3 full bars) even when I only hit a few people with it while I could clear a whole room at once with Ace and only get a bar and a half.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
So I'm on the third video and you're making GBS threads all over Nami and drat dude, you really don't know what it takes to navigate. It's stupidly difficult to draw charts (not maps) as well as to navigate using them. And isn't she drawing up the charts of the Grand Line while they are there? Yeah, what she does is impressive.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

TheKirbs posted:

I think it depends on the attack used + the enemies defeated with the attack.

Enel's move where he sends out the electricity shaped like an eastern dragon to spin around him and attack raises it insanely quickly (nearly 3 full bars) even when I only hit a few people with it while I could clear a whole room at once with Ace and only get a bar and a half.
That sounds about accurate, it just seems to a case-by-case basis which is a bit annoying. I feel like as long as I hit a ton of enemies I should get a ton of the bar filled, no matter what special attack is used.

Deadmeat5150 posted:

So I'm on the third video and you're making GBS threads all over Nami and drat dude, you really don't know what it takes to navigate. It's stupidly difficult to draw charts (not maps) as well as to navigate using them. And isn't she drawing up the charts of the Grand Line while they are there? Yeah, what she does is impressive.
But she's not drawing charts and navigating using them. Maybe in the East Blue, but since entering the Grand Line she literally just follows where the Log Pose points to. And she wants to make a map of the whole world, but I don't think it's ever been heavily shown or alluded to outside of filler. We never actually see her draw maps or mention doing so regarding any of the islands the Straw Hats visit that I can recall.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
She's supposed to be a cartographer, right? As well as a navigator? I've only seen the anime and never read the manga, so I have no idea what may be missed and honestly it's been a while since I watch, but I feel like it's been mentioned a few times that she's drafting them. Also I just can't imagine that she's not since she expresses it as her obsession over and over again.

Edit: And don't think I'm making GBS threads on the LP, I'm not. I love musou games and had no idea this existed. I'm loving it.

Deadmeat5150 fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Sep 26, 2019

Balache404
Aug 2, 2018

While her official title is navigator, we've seen proof of Nami's cartography skills: it's the entire reason Arlong kept her alive. I'd say it's safe to assume that she's drawing maps during the time between islands, where they normally cut away to wherever something else is happening. We don't see her doing so because that wouldn't make for good viewing and would bring the pace down tremendously. I also think y'all are forgetting Nami's near supernatural ability to read the weather. It could be a clear sky with no clouds but if she says storm, there will be a storm ten minutes later.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Charts... she makes charts. Not maps.

Goddamn landlubbers.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Charts... she makes charts. Not maps.

Goddamn landlubbers.
It's explicitly called maps, and she mentions pretty clearly she wants to draw a map of the whole world. She draws islands, not details on the ocean itself.

Balache404 posted:

While her official title is navigator, we've seen proof of Nami's cartography skills: it's the entire reason Arlong kept her alive. I'd say it's safe to assume that she's drawing maps during the time between islands, where they normally cut away to wherever something else is happening. We don't see her doing so because that wouldn't make for good viewing and would bring the pace down tremendously. I also think y'all are forgetting Nami's near supernatural ability to read the weather. It could be a clear sky with no clouds but if she says storm, there will be a storm ten minutes later.
I mean maybe she has, I just don't think it's ever been actually mentioned that she does this outside of filler since she officially joined up with the Straw Hats. Considering it's her lifelong dream and everything, I would imagine it'd come up a bit more often, even in passing. And I mentioned her ability in the video, it's more akin to magic rather than smarts. She just instantly knows what's going to happen and then it happens exactly where and when she says it will.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

TheLoneStar posted:

It's explicitly called maps, and she mentions pretty clearly she wants to draw a map of the whole world. She draws islands, not details on the ocean itself.

I mean maybe she has, I just don't think it's ever been actually mentioned that she does this outside of filler since she officially joined up with the Straw Hats. Considering it's her lifelong dream and everything, I would imagine it'd come up a bit more often, even in passing. And I mentioned her ability in the video, it's more akin to magic rather than smarts. She just instantly knows what's going to happen and then it happens exactly where and when she says it will.

Well she's wrong! Damnit. It doesn't matter if it's the ocean or coastlines or an island, it's all a chart.

Edit: Please see avatar for questions

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat

TheLoneStar posted:

That sounds about accurate, it just seems to a case-by-case basis which is a bit annoying. I feel like as long as I hit a ton of enemies I should get a ton of the bar filled, no matter what special attack is used.

I think it's based off overkill damage inflicted and it feels like the formula is exponential, so hitting a large crowd with an especially powerful attack will charge it a lot more than either a smaller group or a weaker attack would. Also, remember that any character that's currently designated a hero (with a crown icon on their portrait by the gauge) has a huge bonus multiplier to increasing the gauge, to the extent that it's pretty common to go from zero to max in a single special attack.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Part 19 - Island of New Beginnings

It almost feels weird playing as Luffy again, but still good at the same time. Even though I've of course seen the Straw Hat reunion happen and in a better fashion, it still felt nice to see the group meet up again after so long. I also liked the touch of Perona and Hancock helping me out the entire level as well. I'm mildly surprised the Fake Straw Hats weren't even really mentioned at all, not even by Sentomaru. I mean obviously they wouldn't be fought at all, but they were a pretty hilarious part of the arc. Thinking of it, Caribou isn't a part of things either nor is he in the game at all. I guess he really isn't a major fighter, but he could probably do some pretty cool stuff with his Devil Fruit. Either way, it was a fun, medium-sized mission and it felt good to get the crew back together again. The end is pretty close, just another three levels and the playthrough is over.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Part 20 - Adventure on Fish-Man Island

Despite messing up and losing the first attempt of the level, I still thought Robin was decent enough. Her combos, at least, were good. I'm still not entirely sure what her R1 was supposed to do, since I don't think it ever hurt any enemies. Her first special attack was too weak and her second could only target a single enemy, making it a waste. Franky, as I had been told, was indeed a loving beast. It's crazy how fast the Kizuna meter would fill and just how powerful he was. His one-bar special attack is kind of meh, but everything else about him was fantastic. It also helped they got rid of that stupid cola meter, which especially made sense since he doesn't seem to ever have a problem with his cola reserves after the timeskip. The level itself was fine and I kind of like how they had a bunch of treasure events with each Straw Hat showing what they learned over the timeskip. They really did neuter the story though, with absolutely none of the royal family even getting lines or anything unless one of them got something in that one treasure event I missed, but I doubt it. Oh well, it'd be a mistake to play this game expecting an accurate telling of the story anyway.

For the next level, should I play as Law, Smoker, or Tashigi? Since I got both Robin and Franky under my belt, I should play as a non-Straw Hat this time around.

Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm
If you know which button taunts, Tashigi

TheKirbs
Feb 16, 2018

I second Tashigi. Law is very powerful, even if his level 1 finisher is poo poo, but I love dashing around with Tashigi cutting things up.

Word of warning, when fighting Ceasar he will go into his purple Shirokuni form which will petrify you if it touches you, knocking you out of Kizuna Rush.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Part 21 - Punk Hazard

Well, Tashigi certainly was fun to play as with all the swordplay involved, though it was unfortunate that only after I completed this level could I use her second special attack. That R1 move of her though wasn't too easy to pull off, but fantastic when I did. Her taunt was about what I thought, basically just taking her glasses on and off. Thinking of it, it really makes sense that Momonosuke and Kin'emon got no real attention considering the manga wasn't anywhere near Wano at the time, so introducing that plot point would be useless in this game. Caesar wasn't too bad to deal with, though really the only story bosses that truly gave me trouble were a bit of Crocodile and Blackbeard after he absorbed Whitebeard's Devil Fruit. I'm curious to see how they handle Dressrosa, though I'm sure it will be fine. At least when the next game comes out I can experience the arc properly and even use Gear Fourth.

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat
1) Yes, Caesar Romero was the original Joker from 1960s Adam West Batman.
2) You should play some other original warriors games at some point. They are the reason you're able to play this today.

My only problem with this game is that it really skips around stuff in the lore of One Piece (or at least it feels that way to me). See examples below and note that I, myself haven't read any of the manga or watched the anime.

We never get much into how all these characters got all these cool abilities. They throw around terms like "logia" and "haki" but I still have no idea what they are or what they mean. What about the "devil fruit" that a bunch of characters mention? What's it's origin?

The transitions do not feel very fluid. There was that one map way back where at the end Nami steals the ship. By the next level, everyone's pals again. Kuma transports everyone to random places after Soap bubble island and implies that they'll never see each other again. It's never explained how Luffy found everyone again, or even what happened to everyone. He just shows up and sends letters to everyone and the time skip happens.

I'm getting that this game requires a bit of research to really understand the story. It feels like they just took random points of interest and made some levels based on them and then kinda put them back in order. The levels are nicely fleshed out and don't seem to have many over-used generic assets. I think the game needs a better and more coherent interpretation of the source material.

I appreciate how you discuss how each episode ties back to the manga, but not everyone here has read the books, so some of your background can get lost at times

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

mastersord posted:

1) Yes, Caesar Romero was the original Joker from 1960s Adam West Batman.
2) You should play some other original warriors games at some point. They are the reason you're able to play this today.

My only problem with this game is that it really skips around stuff in the lore of One Piece (or at least it feels that way to me). See examples below and note that I, myself haven't read any of the manga or watched the anime.

We never get much into how all these characters got all these cool abilities. They throw around terms like "logia" and "haki" but I still have no idea what they are or what they mean. What about the "devil fruit" that a bunch of characters mention? What's it's origin?

The transitions do not feel very fluid. There was that one map way back where at the end Nami steals the ship. By the next level, everyone's pals again. Kuma transports everyone to random places after Soap bubble island and implies that they'll never see each other again. It's never explained how Luffy found everyone again, or even what happened to everyone. He just shows up and sends letters to everyone and the time skip happens.

I'm getting that this game requires a bit of research to really understand the story. It feels like they just took random points of interest and made some levels based on them and then kinda put them back in order. The levels are nicely fleshed out and don't seem to have many over-used generic assets. I think the game needs a better and more coherent interpretation of the source material.

I appreciate how you discuss how each episode ties back to the manga, but not everyone here has read the books, so some of your background can get lost at times
Okay, I thought so.
I will eventually, I'm sure. I know I'll be doing a playthrough of Hyrule Warriors once I finish my playthrough of Spirit Tracks within a week or two.

That's one of my problems too, though in a bit of fairness there's so much lore compacted even into such a long series that there's no way all of it could be covered. That, and the game does seem to be one meant for ones who are already big fans of the franchise, not newcomers.

I think even some of those are explained, like Luffy saving Nami's island is why they're friends, and Luffy never finds his crew, but delivers a message with the newspaper and they all manage to get the hint. I will concede that yeah, aside from Sanji referencing "Them", the game gives little detail on what they did during the two years.

Yeah, there's a lot of each arc, especially the later and longer ones, that don't even get acknowledged. Like in the Punk Hazard level, the half fire/half ice nature of the island is mentioned but not really seen or experienced by the player at all.

In my defense, I say right there in the OP that I'm going about as though those reading this thread at least have a basic grasp of the series as a whole. I even mention a few times in the playthrough itself that the game is a terrible method of learning the main story. I mean I could sit and discuss the differences of each arc, but for some of them I would have to ramble for ten or fifteen minutes and try to remember all the intricate details, and most people probably wouldn't enjoy that, especially those who are already familiar with the series.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I believe the first pirate warriors game actually goes over some of that stuff, and 2 goes over Haki if I remember correctly.

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat
Thank you for addressing all that.

Hyrule Warriors is a massively huge game with a lot of post-story content. I've heard people invest upwards of 400+ hours to finish it.

mastersord fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Oct 6, 2019

Zakrelo
Dec 19, 2015

mastersord posted:

Thank you for addressing all that.

Hyrule Warriors is a massively huge game with a lot of post-story content. I've heard people invest upwards of 400+ hours to finish it.

Granted, the majority of that content is pre-existing content with a new mission screen and some recolored skins to unlock, and it doesn't even use dynamic events or interruptions to mix up the normal missions the way Pirate Warriors does.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

I'm just not the kind of guy that can sink 400+ hours into a game like that. That's too extreme for me.

Part 22 - Dressrosa Trembles

A rather interesting finale considering it was, of course, covering an in-progress arc. I'm not surprised at how much of the actual arc they cleaved out, essentially removing all references to the toys and their plight, the tournament (aside from the coliseum location) and the likes of Rebecca or Riku. Considering the circumstances, I think focusing everything on Sabo and him assisting in things was the best choice. Honestly, I wish Sabo had more to do in the real arc. After getting Ace's Fruit he pretty much just dicks around, takes out a few marines along with Burgess, and does loving nothing to actually try and stop Doflamingo. It almost felt like he was added into the arc on a whim and Oda just didn't know what to do with him. Either way, the level itself was chaotic (maybe a bit too heavy with the messages and it even got kind of aggravating) and I love how an extra Admiral and an Ex-Admiral were added in along with Blackbeard. I was sincerely thinking Akainu would join the fray as well. While not as cool as Gear Fourth, all the Straw Hats working together, along with Sabo, to take down Doflamingo was kind of cool to see, even if that rascally string man spontaneously ran away. I mean I get why they had to do it, but it was still kind of jarring.

And so concludes the playthrough. Overall I had a pretty drat fun time. My love of One Piece mixed with the good gameplay and cathartic method of just mowing over entire armies essentially on my own make a great pair. As I mentioned a number of times, the game is of course a very poor substitute for the manga's story, which I don't think the developers were even going for. As long as it is, One Piece is still dense with all sorts of lore, backstories, mysteries, and all sorts of little details that'd take forever to check off. That, and in a fast-paced game like this, it'd feel sluggish. It's pretty clear the game is made for fans of the series, not for newcomers who will just get lost and miss out on a lot of character motivations and backstories. Even with that in mind, along with nitpicks like the same three or four generic mook designs used in every loving level save for the ones with Fish-Men, it was an overall great experience. Post-game content, or I guess just optional stuff, can get monotonous. It sometimes felt like a real chore to get all the Treasure Events and Legend Logs, sometimes having to go through a level three or four times just to do all the things I need. These levels are fun and all, but playing them over and over is just not engaging. The Dream/Nightmare Log was fine at first too, mainly for the novelty of bizarre, seemingly random matchups and teams. Even then, that novelty wore off after the thirtieth or so mission and I just kind of lost interest. After I unlocked all the characters I could through it, I pretty much never touched it again and probably won't for a long, long while.

So, overall, a drat fun game despite a few nitpicks here and there. After my Spirit Tracks playthrough is done within the next week or so, I'll play Hyrule Warriors and see how that is. If it's even half as entertaining as this game, I'm sure I'll be in for a good time. Certainly helps I'm a big Zelda fanboy just as I am a One Piece fanboy. I'm also looking forward to Pirate Warriors 4, and will most likely make a thread of that as well soon after it comes out.

TheLoneStar fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Oct 8, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat
So you're not gonna show off all the characters you didn't get to play as?