Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

Darth Brooks posted:

It was cool to see an episode. Are all teams this dysfunctional?

no lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Darth Brooks posted:

Yeah, whenever I hear someone criticize Madden there's a part of my brain that goes "Lalalalalalalala can't hear you." Guy loves football. The ultimate football cookout would be him and Farve just shooting the breeze over beers and brats.

I got to see both ends of his TV career. He was a breath of fresh air and was close to perfect at the beginning, exactly what the NFL needed. He was also a tired joke and self-parody by the end, which came 5 years too late.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Darth Brooks posted:

Yeah, whenever I hear someone criticize Madden there's a part of my brain that goes "Lalalalalalalala can't hear you." Guy loves football. The ultimate football cookout would be him and Farve just shooting the breeze over beers and brats.

I didn't see too much dysfunction in the first episode. I've seen every season of hard knocks and outside of the Brown stuff this one seems absolutely bog standard. Whatever you think about him, Gruden has a decent head coach personality and seems to have things under control there. It's pretty funny how much he hates being asked about AB, although I'm sure we'd all feel the same in his situation

schmitty9800
Feb 10, 2003

"There's a new league forming, go get paid $100 bucks a week and knock the poo poo out of each other all you want" :lol:

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

GD_American posted:

I got to see both ends of his TV career. He was a breath of fresh air and was close to perfect at the beginning, exactly what the NFL needed. He was also a tired joke and self-parody by the end, which came 5 years too late.

TV execs also screwed him if I remember right.

Like they didn't want him to actually break down plays and had him dumb everything down since they thought good analysis would turn viewers off.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Grittybeard posted:

TV execs also screwed him if I remember right.

Like they didn't want him to actually break down plays and had him dumb everything down since they thought good analysis would turn viewers off.

True to a point; they wanted more of his "you can tell how fast a player is by how high up the leg the mud spatters are" quirky observational stuff, and less breaking down of Xs and Os. Problem is there's only so much of the first that comes organically and after a while he was forcing it.

Which is sad, because nowadays you have dishwater-dull ex-jocks blathering on about 3 technique and spotting the Mike, but absolutely none of the eye for amusing detail that Madden had.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Play posted:

I didn't see too much dysfunction in the first episode. I've seen every season of hard knocks and outside of the Brown stuff this one seems absolutely bog standard. Whatever you think about him, Gruden has a decent head coach personality and seems to have things under control there. It's pretty funny how much he hates being asked about AB, although I'm sure we'd all feel the same in his situation

My wife's immediate impression was that Gruden seemed like a better coach than a lot of guys on Hard Knocks. Initially I was flabbergasted, but then realized her basis of comparison is Hue Jackson, Jeff Fisher, Joe Philbin, Mike Smith, etc...

Also, she liked how Gruden was telling them not to hurt each other and referring to the players as each others' friends - versus the Falcons one where Mike Smith basically encouraged some guys to fight each other.

So... I can understand her perspective, but Jon Gruden sucks and I hope he stays all 10 years and never has a winning season because that would be loving hilarious.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
Jon Gruden is a football autist and extremely good

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

GD_American posted:

Madden at the end was still so much better than anyone else. Romo is the only one that I think can compare to him in regards to seeing things before/as they happen and making it relatable to everyone watching.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Taking a flier on the best receiver in the NFL with a 3rd and 5th round pick is hardly indicting, and this week's drama doesn't even say it won't pan out. At the end of this season we'll know whether there's a team worth building around or if we need to blow it all up and start looking for a qb. In which case we have a ton of picks and young players and the means to get more. So we'll see. If we can get the right talent on offense I feel good about where the team is going, but if Gruden is functionally the GM and the offense doesn't work with his picks, then I think he's out the door before his contract is up. I became a fan of this team when Gruden was coach and his offense was so much fun to watch with those great route runners on either end, and Charlie Garner racking up like 1600 yards a season evenly split between passing and rushing yards, and I'd love nothing more than to see a return to that. But idk about Grudens ability to bring in talent. The good news is that LV's tax rates give us an interest boost in the free agent market. In the midst of all this drama, Jalen Ramsey said he'd love to play for the raiders. That boost might be enough to overcome Grudens shortfalls as a GM. So we'll see. My pitchfork is still hung up on the wall.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Codependent Poster posted:

Madden at the end was still so much better than anyone else. Romo is the only one that I think can compare to him in regards to seeing things before/as they happen and making it relatable to everyone watching.

True; I think this was before Collinsworth (who is good but often annoying) and around the time of Diersdorf and Theismann and Simms. You'd go from watching Saturday games with the likes of Keith Jackson (who was just broadcasting perfection) to Sundays with WELL I'LL TELL YA.

I think I was just more sick of the gimmickry than everything. The Turducken and Madden Cruiser and all the other production team idiocy overwhelmed the broadcast. And I loved Pat Summerall so drat much, and all that crap took away from his airtime too.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

LabyaMynora posted:

My wife's immediate impression was that Gruden seemed like a better coach than a lot of guys on Hard Knocks. Initially I was flabbergasted, but then realized her basis of comparison is Hue Jackson, Jeff Fisher, Joe Philbin, Mike Smith, etc...

Also, she liked how Gruden was telling them not to hurt each other and referring to the players as each others' friends - versus the Falcons one where Mike Smith basically encouraged some guys to fight each other.

So... I can understand her perspective, but Jon Gruden sucks and I hope he stays all 10 years and never has a winning season because that would be loving hilarious.

It still blows my mind that anyone could watch Joe Philbin do anything and then hire him to inspire men.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Volkerball posted:

Taking a flier on the best receiver in the NFL with a 3rd and 5th round pick is hardly indicting, and this week's drama doesn't even say it won't pan out. At the end of this season we'll know whether there's a team worth building around or if we need to blow it all up and start looking for a qb. In which case we have a ton of picks and young players and the means to get more. So we'll see. If we can get the right talent on offense I feel good about where the team is going, but if Gruden is functionally the GM and the offense doesn't work with his picks, then I think he's out the door before his contract is up. I became a fan of this team when Gruden was coach and his offense was so much fun to watch with those great route runners on either end, and Charlie Garner racking up like 1600 yards a season evenly split between passing and rushing yards, and I'd love nothing more than to see a return to that. But idk about Grudens ability to bring in talent. The good news is that LV's tax rates give us an interest boost in the free agent market. In the midst of all this drama, Jalen Ramsey said he'd love to play for the raiders. That boost might be enough to overcome Grudens shortfalls as a GM. So we'll see. My pitchfork is still hung up on the wall.

Yeah as far as a review of the team as a whole, I agree. I wasn't that impressed with their draft, I'll say that. I feel like three 1st round picks usually get you more than that, specifically regarding Ferrell who could've been had cheaper. After the last couple years, they do have quite a large group of young players with some promise but I'm not sold on their player evaluations. In any case they're a great team for hard knocks and as far as coaching goes I have no reason to believe that Gruden can't do it effectively.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Has this gotten any more exciting yet?

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Next episode isn't until tomorrow night, so no.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Also AB tweeted that he may be walking back his psychotic break from a 10 to like a 6.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Docjowles posted:

Also AB tweeted that he may be walking back his psychotic break from a 10 to like a 6.
I look forward to Hard Knocks covering him going on Indiana Jones like adventures looking for a helmet:

https://twitter.com/ProFootballTalk/status/1161066067659251712

schmitty9800
Feb 10, 2003

This thread also reminded me to watch All or Nothing on Amazon Prime. It'll be interesting to see how the Panther's season turned because where I'm at right now they're 3-1 and are getting Thomas Davis back from suspension and signed Eric Reid. The scene where Cam and Kuechly call up Josh Norman before the Washington game is amazing.

japtor posted:

I look forward to Hard Knocks covering him going on Indiana Jones like adventures looking for a helmet:

Hello, do you have a manufacturer's date on this helmet? Is it before or after 2009? No, I don't work for the Raiders, I don't know what you're talking about, Antonio who? How come the reserve just went up to $2,500?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

schmitty9800 fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Aug 13, 2019

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

schmitty9800 posted:

Hello, do you have a manufacturer's date on this helmet? Is it before or after 2009? No, I don't work for the Raiders, I don't know what you're talking about, Antonio who? How come the reserve just went up to $2,500?
https://twitter.com/AB84/status/1161285674865217536

Play
Apr 25, 2006

If I had one of those things it'd take a lot more than a signed practice helmet to pry it away. Come on AB, you're a multimillionaire and all you can offer is a lovely practice helmet with a worthless signature on it? I'm thinking we can start the negotiations at 500,000

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.
"I'm getting circumcised on my feet"

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Hate - that loving chintzy rear end Raiders poem that's now apparently part of the opening. They played it three times in the first episode, I can't stand hearing it anymore.

Love - that far away look on Gruden's face as the trainer told him that AB's feet are frostbitten and how that means the skin is dead, etc.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

"Tom Brady's 42? That's older than my dad!"

God dammit! :corsair:

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
Lol they had to cut the dumb poo poo about rookies making noodles or whatever to cram all the AB stuff in

Great episode

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

AB better be promising his hand-painted Rayders helmet

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
You’d easily get 20k cash outta AB for the helmet

Larch
Dec 20, 2004

BEE LOVER

Blitz7x posted:

Jon Gruden is a football autist and extremely good

Agreed

Play
Apr 25, 2006

You guys got any links to the episode

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
Peterman is a lost cause who may have a lower football IQ than any post on this forum.

Doss is cool as gently caress. I'm cheering for him.

Max (I refuse to spell his name correctly) Crosby seems cool too. I'm cheering for him as well.

I still dislike Abrams. And the first round DE who I keep forgetting doesn't seem like he gives a poo poo either.

Richie Incognito as a voice of reason is loving hilarious.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Chichevache posted:

Peterman is a lost cause who may have a lower football IQ than any post on this forum.

Peterman has no commanding presence whatsoever. It's hilarious every time he speaks.

Gruden and Peterman
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3njtkgHPbpI

Chichevache posted:

Richie Incognito as a voice of reason is loving hilarious.

Yeah, he's probably on meds. He looks like he's got some unnatural weight gain going on, like retaining water or some poo poo.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Chichevache posted:

I still dislike Abrams.

He seems like the type of guy who is sort of likeable but will play like Jahleel Addae or Swearinger. And yeah I can't deal with this Incognito stuff, they mentioned he was suspended for two games but didn't say why.

Everyone's right on Peterman but I feel like Gruden's going to talk himself into it somehow.

Mexican Radio
Jan 5, 2007

mombo with your jombo?
Gruden seems like a wizard compared to Hue and Jeff Fisher.

I think there was a shot of AB’s painted helmet. You could see a poorly applied raiders logo sticker on the side.

Larch
Dec 20, 2004

BEE LOVER
"You're a loving rap guy and you never heard of George Clinton and Bootsy Collins?"

Mike Mayock said that. Respect levels went up. So much. I want to see these Raiders do something!

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Larch posted:

"You're a loving rap guy and you never heard of George Clinton and Bootsy Collins?"

Mike Mayock said that. Respect levels went up. So much. I want to see these Raiders do something!

Mayock used to go slowly insane every year during the combine and was always completely wiped by the last day. One year he busted out some Parlaiment Fukadelic on air for like 40 seconds in the middle of drills for no discernible reason.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

I don't know how you can watch this and think Gruden isn't a good coach. He goes after guys hard, but then dials it back and lets them know he's pulling for them. When he asked the quarterbacks questions about their decision-making, he was very to the point. You can tell just by listening to him that he loving understands offenses. And he is very hands-on in dealing with quarterbacks. This might be the first season of Hard Knocks where I felt that type of knowledge was conveyed by a head coach. Frankly, I'm kinda amazed at just how bad he's making previous coaches look by comparison.

Larch posted:

Mayock loving owns

I am torn between respect and disgust for Maxx Crosby. Breaking his hand and just having them put a cast on it so he could play some more is loving tough as nails, but also seems really loving dumb.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

My wife likes Hard Knocks and while not huge fan will watch games but doesn't follow any news at all. When Incognito appeared she's like "cool last name" and I was like well let me tell you about this funeral story...

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Sataere posted:

I am torn between respect and disgust for Maxx Crosby. Breaking his hand and just having them put a cast on it so he could play some more is loving tough as nails, but also seems really loving dumb.

He's a mid/late draft d-lineman who is fighting to make the team. Maybe he has a very well-planned backup career if the NFL doesn't work out, but more likely he views this as his one shot at a payday.

It's very funny that someone walking into Hard Knocks blind would see Richie Incognito as the wise, level-headed dude. Props to him if that is actually his mindset now, but I have to assume he's actually thinking, "You don't fight during camp, you mentally destroy someone in the locker room and the parking lot where there are no coaches or cameras around."

Also Derek Carr is a loving prick.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Blowjob Overtime posted:

He's a mid/late draft d-lineman who is fighting to make the team. Maybe he has a very well-planned backup career if the NFL doesn't work out, but more likely he views this as his one shot at a payday.

Yeah, it was a damned if you do/damned if you don't. Was it smart? Maybe, who knows. Guess rack it up to an opportunity cost.

Funny thing was my wife reads x-rays, CT scans, 3D imagining blah blah for a living (not a radiologist) and has done it thousands of times. During which she has the patient's medical history.

As soon as that happened first words out of her mouth were "caused by steroids."

Sort of fits the narrative the lengths he was willing to go through to get on a team and an advantage.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Blowjob Overtime posted:

It's very funny that someone walking into Hard Knocks blind would see Richie Incognito as the wise, level-headed dude. Props to him if that is actually his mindset now, but I have to assume he's actually thinking, "You don't fight during camp, you mentally destroy someone in the locker room and the parking lot where there are no coaches or cameras around."

Also Derek Carr is a loving prick.

He was drafted in the fourth round. How many fourth rounders are really at risk of getting cut?

I'm torn about Incognito. I think it's clear that he had mental health issues and if he is actually addressing him, good for him. I want to believe people can constantly grow and evolve, so a small part of me is rooting for him. But mostly, I think he's just an rear end in a top hat.

And Derek Carr is the greatest and I'm rooting so hard for him

Colostomy Bag posted:

"caused by steroids."

Holy poo poo, Maxx Crosby is real life Steve Lattimer from The Program

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967