Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Get momma Caminda in the MNF booth as a color commentator. She's like 10 times better than Witten.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

seiferguy posted:

She's like 10 times better than Witten.
I own socks that are 10 times better than Witten.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Is Derek Carr really that big of an a-hole?

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
Did Gruden's kid do something to deserve everyone making GBS threads on him?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
Why are the gardeners in Winnipeg so incompetent?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Colostomy Bag posted:

He's super religious so he probably has some bad opinions, but mainly he's just the ultimate goober from what I can tell.

Well I haven't watched the last episode yet if he did something.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
heard this season is boring as hell and wouldn't even have a single draw if gruden wasn't on it. no gm/coach drama, boring human-interest segments, etc. not the spicy meatball we were promised

c/d

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
They spent 5 minutes this past episode dedicated to Carr having the shittiest banter

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Amy Pole Her posted:

They spent 5 minutes this past episode dedicated to Carr having the shittiest banter

He wanted to poo poo on him for not giving 100% in practice....but then pretended he was joking?

It was weird.

I loved the knock on wood if you're with me montage.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Play posted:

heard this season is boring as hell and wouldn't even have a single draw if gruden wasn't on it. no gm/coach drama, boring human-interest segments, etc. not the spicy meatball we were promised

c/d

Gruden and Mayock are media trained as gently caress, and some :tinfoil: people think that the whole AB helmet saga was just to take up time on Hard Knocks so they don't have time to show any less flattering poo poo.

Athanatos posted:

I loved the knock on wood if you're with me montage.

As dumb as it is, it probably keeps players from falling asleep during meetings. Keeps them engaged so they don't miss a cue to knock, and if they're already drifting off, a room full of dudes banging on the desk will wake them the gently caress up.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Colostomy Bag posted:

This was after watching Episode 2:

Blowjob Overtime posted:

Also Derek Carr is a loving prick.

He comes off as a huge rear end in a top hat every time he talks to his teammates. Him and Gruden making the world's most awkward small talk followed by huge silences is the only part of Carr's screen time I enjoy.

e:

Athanatos posted:

He wanted to poo poo on him for not giving 100% in practice....but then pretended he was joking?

Yeah this.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

This season just doesn’t have as much drama as last season. The Browns were coming off a winless season, had Mayfield, and had a lot more position battles. Raiders essentially have no drama over the starters, and AB has disappeared for big chunks of time.

Carr just seems like a weird dude who doesn’t have enough charisma to be a natural leader. Like does the dude have any real friends on the team?

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

CubanMissile posted:

Have you done an image search for "deuce gruden"? I'll wait

But for a serious answer no I don't think he's done anything super awful, he just looks like a complete roided out maniac and is named "Deuce Gruden".

I thought the first few episodes were pretty good but it's fizzling out instead of building toward something awesome. I don't really care who gets cut next week, the Browns season did a much better job with that. It seems detached and like the crew has less access or something. Gruden wearing a Twitch hoodie was kind of funny cause I guarantee he doesn't know what the gently caress Twitch is and thinks video games are dumb bullshit for pussies. I assume they sponsor his kid or something, for max irony?

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Aug 29, 2019

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
They are milking AB for everything they got, that's understandable. Cant show any Xs and Os stuff, so a lot of the Gruden stuff is going to be speeches and yelling. They still have the rookie stuff, but they seem to follow them less. There doesnt seem to be much drama over making the team and not making the team yet, the build up isn't there for next episode. The elimination of the first cut down period hurts Hard Knocks

That said, it's still nice to see a team kick off the season. Cool to see a bit how camps are run, how things are set up, what players go through. And it's a great hype man for the season. They build these teams up pretty well making them all look like they will be decent to good.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
Deuce Gruden, Male Gigalo

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

I always thought "Deuce" was a nickname, but I just looked him up, and it appears to be his birth name.

Holy poo poo, if your parents named you "Deuce..."

His mother the day he was born: "I just dropped a Deuce!" :downs:

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
Carrs friends were traded

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Deuce Gruden-lo, Male Gigaludenlo

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I literally stopped this ep mid watch to rewatch the whole "lets go get a goddamn snack" speech to remember better hard knocks

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

Docjowles posted:

Have you done an image search for "deuce gruden"? I'll wait

But for a serious answer no I don't think he's done anything super awful, he just looks like a complete roided out maniac and is named "Deuce Gruden".

I meant the MMA kid.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

LabyaMynora posted:

I always thought "Deuce" was a nickname, but I just looked him up, and it appears to be his birth name.

Holy poo poo, if your parents named you "Deuce..."

His mother the day he was born: "I just dropped a Deuce!" :downs:

His birth name is Jon Jr., hence the nickname.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Deuce Gruden sounds like a knockoff Duke Nukem.

"Hi to the King baby!"

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

https://twitter.com/rawdogdeportes/status/916014468362010626?s=21

Hirsute
May 4, 2007
I grew up in a very religious household and went to private Christian schools my whole life and Carr just reminds me so much of so many people in that world who know how to say the right things around the right people and always sounds and acts superficially nice, but is actually a huge angry rear end in a top hat just under the surface and everyone knows it but they tolerate him anyway and never call him out on it. I really don't know much about him outside of what I've seen on Hard Knocks, so I might be wrong, but I think I learned everything I needed to know about him in the 1st episode during that scene where his sons were playing with a football and he calmly told one of them to "fight your brother for it." Not a fan

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

Hirsute posted:

I grew up in a very religious household and went to private Christian schools my whole life and Carr just reminds me so much of so many people in that world who know how to say the right things around the right people and always sounds and acts superficially nice, but is actually a huge angry rear end in a top hat just under the surface and everyone knows it but they tolerate him anyway and never call him out on it. I really don't know much about him outside of what I've seen on Hard Knocks, so I might be wrong, but I think I learned everything I needed to know about him in the 1st episode during that scene where his sons were playing with a football and he calmly told one of them to "fight your brother for it." Not a fan
lol

he’s actually just a nice guy

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
You national viewers get a nice sample of the Central Valley-CAL "wannabee Texas" accent too.

I know the Carr's all spent a ton of time in Texas but still........we are still more Jeff Spicoli over that..... :colbert:

Cabinda (and his mom) better get his poo poo together and make the team too.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Aug 29, 2019

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Blitz7x posted:

Carrs friends were traded

that's quite the excuse for not having any friends lol

CubanMissile posted:

Nah I don't think so. I get the feeling folks are more curious than anything else and would've liked to see something a bit different. For me I always enjoyed learning about staff like the dudes who do the field or equipment and stuff. There's so much stuff to film during training camp that I'm surprised it turned out so dull

I feel like the early ones were actually better because guys were less wary around the camera and you saw a lot more authentic stuff including some funny pranks

Best line so far:

quote:

Buckner clowned the rookie at the end of the episode when the 350-pound defensive tackle dared to wonder aloud if Buckner eats candy before position group meetings.

“I ain’t like you,” Buckner told Rush. “You a habitual fat person that like to sneak around and eat.”

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Hirsute posted:

Oh yeah, I forgot about the "fight him for it" poo poo. The super religious assessment definitely checks out.

Play posted:

Best line so far:

The best part of that line was the cut to the dude eating a Fruit By the Foot while his eyes darted around.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Blowjob Overtime posted:

The best part of that line was the cut to the dude eating a Fruit By the Foot while his eyes darted around.

Unfortunately the guy in that clip was actually Trent Brown, who wasn't involved in that exchange. Still funny as gently caress

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Play posted:

Unfortunately the guy in that clip was actually Trent Brown, who wasn't involved in that exchange. Still funny as gently caress

drat, they tricked me on that one. I thought it was both hilarious and loving brutal that they were editing the episode that way to fat shame him.

This is actually way worse, because now Trent Brown is going to be called our on that clip for the rest of his life and he wasn't even the one getting called out.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Sataere posted:

drat, they tricked me on that one. I thought it was both hilarious and loving brutal that they were editing the episode that way to fat shame him.

This is actually way worse, because now Trent Brown is going to be called our on that clip for the rest of his life and he wasn't even the one getting called out.

Extremely :same:

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
I'm definitely a bit disappointed that there wasn't any spicy Raiders drama, but as my first full season of Hard Knocks, I had a good time watching an NFL team get ready for the season. Really did seem like a very slick PR job though; I understand the past season with the Browns was more interesting? Any other seasons worth taking a look at?

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

pnumoman posted:

I'm definitely a bit disappointed that there wasn't any spicy Raiders drama, but as my first full season of Hard Knocks, I had a good time watching an NFL team get ready for the season. Really did seem like a very slick PR job though; I understand the past season with the Browns was more interesting? Any other seasons worth taking a look at?

The Jets season and the first Bengals season for sure.

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.
Anyone know how to watch previous seasons? HBO doesn't seem to have them on their site.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

pnumoman posted:

I didn't think the Browns one was that great but it was middling at least. The original Hard Knocks with the 2001 Ravens was probably one of my favorites just because training camp was a different beast back then. Also enjoyed the 2010 Jets, Texans in 2015 and the Bucs in 2017. Bucs one is particularly funny because everyone seemed to think is was going to be a huge breakout year for them

humpthewind posted:

Anyone know how to watch previous seasons? HBO doesn't seem to have them on their site.

I've torrented some in the past, I think I got a big collection of them but even the torrents can be hard to find because I don't think they're released on DVD at all

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

humpthewind posted:

Looks like they're available on NFL.com, or at least the Jets season is if you don't want to torrent.

I hate nfl.com's video player but it's there if you don't want to torrent or look for them another way.

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

when I watch shows like all or nothing I'm amazed how much garbage junk food they buy with literal piles and boxes of chips and sweets and poo poo.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

The Raiders absolutely did not want to be on Hard Knocks and dragged their heels every bit of the way. For them coming off as a boring team (yeah the AB helmet stuff, but it's not like they couldn't not mention it) is a huge PR win

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Blitz7x posted:

The Raiders absolutely did not want to be on Hard Knocks and dragged their heels every bit of the way. For them coming off as a boring team (yeah the AB helmet stuff, but it's not like they couldn't not mention it) is a huge PR win

yeah its loving lame

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Although I've noticed for at least two episodes' "On the next Hard Knocks" they've got boring footage of a bunch of rookies making noodles or whatever but they can't use it because some new poo poo show comes up each week

Blitz of 404 Error fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Aug 29, 2019