Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

Play posted:

I didn't think the Browns one was that great but it was middling at least. The original Hard Knocks with the 2001 Ravens was probably one of my favorites just because training camp was a different beast back then. Also enjoyed the 2010 Jets, Texans in 2015 and the Bucs in 2017. Bucs one is particularly funny because everyone seemed to think is was going to be a huge breakout year for them
Did people seriously find the Texans and Bucs that much more interesting than this?

Gruden and Carr come across great compared to those QBs/coaches and the Tannehill/Philbin year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Paperback Writer posted:

Did people seriously find the Texans and Bucs that much more interesting than this?

Carr looks great compared to those QBs and Tannehill.

for all his faults jameis has ten times the personality of derek carr.

It's not all about one guy, either. I just liked the texans one but I couldn't tell you for sure it was better or why

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
Hard Knocks but it's about recently retired football players trying to deal with how wrecked their minds and bodies are.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Hard Knocks but it's about recently retired football players trying to deal with how wrecked their minds and bodies are.

that's a three part dramatic miniseries starring ving rhames if I've ever conceptualized one

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
"30 year old Rob Gronkowski used to be the tight end for the New England Patriots, now he's mentally retarded"

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

"30 year old Rob Gronkowski used to be the tight end for the New England Patriots, now he's mentally retarded"

Please, he was "made imbecile" like Steve on Deadwood.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
I enjoyed both coaches going "Yeah, let's play this thing, gently caress the field. We good, our players are good, gently caress yeah lets goooooo"

Then them not doing that.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Yeah Miami’s was boring as hell outside of Tannehill being retarded and Philbin being exposed for being a narc trapped in a pedophiles body

I guess 7/11 stuff was memorable too

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I thought the Chiefs one was sneakily pretty good, but that might be because I'm a fan.

But this is really all you need to watch.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

Fat Jesus posted:

when I watch shows like all or nothing I'm amazed how much garbage junk food they buy with literal piles and boxes of chips and sweets and poo poo.

At the hotel I tend bar at, the local Div I college team spends the day and night there before all their home games, probably to make sure they're not partying and in bed at curfew. The amount of food they get is insane. We're talking five fully catered banquets. Breakfast, lunch, dinner, a second dinner two hours later, and a late snack. The amount of food banquets puts out for dinner is equivalent to a three hundred person wedding. And in between meals you see guys walking around with bags of Chick-fil-A and whatever.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Grittybeard posted:

I thought the Chiefs one was sneakily pretty good, but that might be because I'm a fan.

But this is really all you need to watch.

didn't the chiefs one just center around larry johnson's contract holdout

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

a neat cape posted:

didn't the chiefs one just center around larry johnson's contract holdout

The good stuff was all guys you haven't heard of unless you watched the show or remember way too much about lovely football players. Tank Tyler and Turk McBride had some good parts, Boomer Grigsby was in it a bunch being a giant but entertaining meathead, the training camp quarterback was a big storyline. Some Brodie Croyle I guess. Herm was fairly entertaining like he usually is.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Fat Jesus posted:

when I watch shows like all or nothing I'm amazed how much garbage junk food they buy with literal piles and boxes of chips and sweets and poo poo.

Ha, yeah. I’m sure an NFL player burns many times the amount of calories even a very active healthy adult does, but still. It gives some context for how the annual offseason “<absurdly fit and chiseled dude> changed his diet this year and converted 10 pounds of fat into still more muscle” stories are even possible.

I still have no explanation for how Eddie Lacy China Fooded himself out of the league. Guess he stopped doing the 5000 calorie burning workout portion of the equation.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Early spoiler for next week from final cutdown weekend :rip:

TE Luke Willson. I look forward to the Pats adding him

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Docjowles posted:

Early spoiler for next week from final cutdown weekend :rip:

TE Luke Willson. I look forward to the Pats adding him
There’s at least one other big one I saw, so there’ll be your drama for the season I guess.

Anyway I noticed some amusing Twitter stuff the other day:

https://twitter.com/JohnathanAbram1/status/1167522985982353408?s=20

https://twitter.com/CrosbyMaxx/status/1164622944376504321?s=20

https://twitter.com/PGutierrezESPN/status/1167147448302592000?s=20

They should’ve given Buckner more screen time:

https://twitter.com/NFLFilms/status/1167189441393418245?s=20

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

well Gruden cutting all the Hard Knocks guy: Luke Wilson, Keelan Doss, and now Jason Cabinda

Mod Edit: I'm going to spoil cut player chat for now, people get weird about these things

Somebody fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Aug 31, 2019

Jivesauce
Nov 22, 2007
Bootsy Collins owns so hard

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
Having watched no actual Raiders preseason games, and only going off Hard Knocks (cut spoilers):

How the gently caress did Keelan Doss get cut?

I'm spoiling cuts I guess? I dont know if anyone gives a poo poo?

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Yeah that was a surprise. He seemed a shoe in for a roster spot :shrug:

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
He's the 7th best receiver on the roster

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

I feel like spoilers for this is probably overkill. We are football nerds who are obsessively watching cut-down day to see how it affects our team. If we don't already know these things, we're probably in the wrong subforum.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Counterpoint: it’s really easy to do spoilers.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
Cut: Antonio Brown's feet

Play
Apr 25, 2006

I loved the story of how they called McVay the piss boy when he had just started out in Tampa

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
I cant believe they didnt show more cut meetings.

Hard Knocks loves their cut meeting footage, and they only showed one.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

This season sucked and was boring. OTOH, most Hard Knocks seasons suck and are boring now, I think the pure shittyness of Hue on the Browns just gave us a throwback to past seasons when people didn't know how to comport themselves when the cameras are around.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

LabyaMynora posted:

This season sucked and was boring. OTOH, most Hard Knocks seasons suck and are boring now, I think the pure shittyness of Hue on the Browns just gave us a throwback to past seasons when people didn't know how to comport themselves when the cameras are around.

I liked watching Gruden do stuff.

Past that, yeah, wasn't great.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

yeah this year was basically on par with all those youtube series that each team releases during the offseason. more a promotional video than anything else, which is what the NFL and the Raiders want. It used to be a lot more "real" but I guess coaches and team officials are figuring out that they can totally control the narrative if they want to

BrownThunder
Oct 26, 2005

EXTEND BEN!
Forever and ever and ever

It sucked because the team is boring and sucks

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Also, I just realized - zero Deuce Gruden.

They even had a scene in the last episode of Jon Gruden going over tape with the Running Backs. No sign of Deuce anywhere.

It's almost like Jon's aware enough to hide his shameful son.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
It's weird that all the camp guys they followed ended up being cut - Willson, Doss, Cabinda, et al. Really feel like there was a lot of missing storylines there. Given Gruden, Mark Davis and AB are all on the team there should have better storylines.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

seiferguy posted:

It's weird that all the camp guys they followed ended up being cut - Willson, Doss, Cabinda, et al. Really feel like there was a lot of missing storylines there. Given Gruden, Mark Davis and AB are all on the team there should have better storylines.

To be fair they made some decent guesses to follow some guys who had okay chances to make the team, but it's not like they know in advance. Still struck out though.

Seems like Josh Jacobs and Clelin Ferrell told them to pound rocks, because usually they also feature a highly drafted rookie or two. There was a bit of that safety whatshisface and then quite a large amount of Hunter Renfrow but almost nothing from their top two picks

Mark Davis didn't even appear until the final episode as far as i can tell, AB is just a weirdo and not all that interesting to listen to or talk about, and Carr has less personality than a plastic bag drifting in the wind

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

seiferguy posted:

The recovering drug addict Tight End got a job.

But yeah, this poo poo is media managed to poo poo. No Mark Davis until the very end... nothing showing up on camera that might embarrass the team or the NFL.

It's not because it isn't there, it's because they're making sure it's left in the editing room.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

I didn't really realize it until after the finale, but Mayock was barely on the show at all. And his biggest scene was an impromptu press conference we had all already seen.

This really did feel like the result of a season where a team really doesn't want to be a part of the show, and is led by two TV guys who know how to control the narrative.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

The raiders... sounds like this show is about an mmo guild!

Play
Apr 25, 2006

LabyaMynora posted:

The recovering drug addict Tight End got a job.

That was a good storyline actually. Unique, and it made me pull for him, plus he's got that former addict tendency to be willing to talk about some deeply personal things in a way that nobody else in the show was really willing to do. He put himself out there and I hope he has a good career

LabyaMynora posted:

Also, I just realized - zero Deuce Gruden.

They even had a scene in the last episode of Jon Gruden going over tape with the Running Backs. No sign of Deuce anywhere.

It's almost like Jon's aware enough to hide his shameful son.

They did have his little baby UFC fighter son though, for about 3 seconds of screen time

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
The first 2 episodes were pretty good and then it was straight downhill after that.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

So Gruden clearly does that counting backward thing to train his players how to pass the tests in the concussion protocol right? It's either that or he's prepping for his own dementia test as I know they ask that question for those as well.
Also, that whole speech about the running backs and where they went to school was completely insane and surreal. It reminded me of Trump almost where this guy just speaks in a weird stream of conscious of sound bites that combine whatever random stuff has been lodged in his memory.
Very fitting that someone pays this person 10mil to annoy players with a steady stream of useless information.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I kind of understood the RB thing. He was trying to make the point that these dudes from nowhere schools with no pedigree stay in the league because they do the important little things (block for the QB).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

i was pretty smacked when I watched it so very possible that I just missed that point