Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

hifi posted:

first episode is free on the raiders youtube channel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_o7vV7miEGs

dope thanks man, gonna watch this at lunch which im taking rn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

I actually liked the little interludes at the end the best. The funny prayer, the horse balls, and the preview segment with the Rams coming to town. So far it's about as good as the Browns one but I'm expecting it to heat up a little bit soon

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Larch posted:

I love you all. This is the only worthwhile football discussion forum on the entire internet.

As far as I can tell.

Anyway. I want to talk about how Antonio Brown is a beautiful person, despite what the Ben lovers will tell you.

i love you too. really

bows1 posted:

John Madden was the best part of the episode

Forgot to include that in my "review". That was definitely among the best segments, including the way they tied it to this year's training camp. That guy just has something innately special about him. He's a joy to listen to

japtor posted:

They’re considering it last I saw. It’s nice, players over the years all seem to like it a lot, hotel is right there, etc. The only drawback I saw was some tax implication for the players, I think pointed out by Amy Trask on Twitter when the Napa camp topic came up.

Yeah the players are gonna be stoked as hell for that no state income tax once they get to Nevada. I'm guessing there's a way around paying the CA taxes if you're only doing training camp there, just structure the contracts in a certain way. That wouldn't apply to everyone though, mainly the high earners

Play
Apr 25, 2006

japtor posted:

https://twitter.com/AmyTrask/status/1155846285594730498
https://twitter.com/jayfeely/status/1155858439647707137

Also applies to the Cowboys cause they hold camp in Oxnard. And looking into it some more, apparently everyone in sports to an extent cause they get taxed based on game location:

https://dqydj.com/athlete-duty-day-taxation/

I see, guess they can magic their way around cap rules but the IRS is something else. They probably don't care so much about their players paying taxes, but the team would have to pay more taxes as well. Interesting to see which way they go with that, wouldn't be surprised if they keep going to Napa in the short term but look around for a better tax haven training camp location for the future.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Ditch posted:

Not really the IRS since this is state taxes, but I would assume that California has robust tax enforcement given the number of high-paid athletes, musicians, actors, etc. who work there for brief periods of time.

Right, sorry, IRS is just shorthand in my brain for tax collecting agencies everywhere. But I agree, they're gonna want that money because it's in significant amounts. Gotta say though I live in Vegas and it would be loving hell to have training camp anywhere in Nevada at this time of the year. It's been hovering around 110 for months now

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Docjowles posted:

Ollie really did look awful and like he didn't give a single gently caress about being there. Having not watched Last Chance U it didn't affect me much, it was just like "yeah he should get cut". Maybe it would have landed harder if I'd followed him from that show? I did wonder if the guy who's packing up all his poo poo in a duffel bag knows or cares that he's basically taking a guy's dreams and life's work and throwing them in the dumpster. Replacing him with a different big fat dude and even recycling the number seemed extra cold lol.

I watched the show and thought he was a fat lazy slob who probably had a learning disability and would never make it the NFL. The learning disability is the only way I really feel bad for him, even then he was coasting on his size

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Kolton Miller is 6'9"? I had not realized that. Seems pretty tall

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Darth Brooks posted:

Yeah, whenever I hear someone criticize Madden there's a part of my brain that goes "Lalalalalalalala can't hear you." Guy loves football. The ultimate football cookout would be him and Farve just shooting the breeze over beers and brats.

It was cool to see an episode. Are all teams this dysfunctional?

I didn't see too much dysfunction in the first episode. I've seen every season of hard knocks and outside of the Brown stuff this one seems absolutely bog standard. Whatever you think about him, Gruden has a decent head coach personality and seems to have things under control there. It's pretty funny how much he hates being asked about AB, although I'm sure we'd all feel the same in his situation

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Volkerball posted:

Taking a flier on the best receiver in the NFL with a 3rd and 5th round pick is hardly indicting, and this week's drama doesn't even say it won't pan out. At the end of this season we'll know whether there's a team worth building around or if we need to blow it all up and start looking for a qb. In which case we have a ton of picks and young players and the means to get more. So we'll see. If we can get the right talent on offense I feel good about where the team is going, but if Gruden is functionally the GM and the offense doesn't work with his picks, then I think he's out the door before his contract is up. I became a fan of this team when Gruden was coach and his offense was so much fun to watch with those great route runners on either end, and Charlie Garner racking up like 1600 yards a season evenly split between passing and rushing yards, and I'd love nothing more than to see a return to that. But idk about Grudens ability to bring in talent. The good news is that LV's tax rates give us an interest boost in the free agent market. In the midst of all this drama, Jalen Ramsey said he'd love to play for the raiders. That boost might be enough to overcome Grudens shortfalls as a GM. So we'll see. My pitchfork is still hung up on the wall.

Yeah as far as a review of the team as a whole, I agree. I wasn't that impressed with their draft, I'll say that. I feel like three 1st round picks usually get you more than that, specifically regarding Ferrell who could've been had cheaper. After the last couple years, they do have quite a large group of young players with some promise but I'm not sold on their player evaluations. In any case they're a great team for hard knocks and as far as coaching goes I have no reason to believe that Gruden can't do it effectively.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

If I had one of those things it'd take a lot more than a signed practice helmet to pry it away. Come on AB, you're a multimillionaire and all you can offer is a lovely practice helmet with a worthless signature on it? I'm thinking we can start the negotiations at 500,000

Play
Apr 25, 2006

You guys got any links to the episode

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Anyone got a link for episode 2

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Sataere posted:

He thinks he can develop Peterman, but every coach thinks they can fix guys. Every coach in every sport will talk about a guy that everyone else will find themselves thinking "what the hell is he talking about?"

The Mack trade still feels like it was a Mark Davis money issue and Gruden taking the blame for it.

Even if it wasn't a cash flow issue, it was a cap space issue. My problem is that I'm not sure they maximized the value of those picks at all, but the trade itself had pretty good terms, at the very least you won't get much more regardless of how good a player is.

The Raiders had so many holes to fill that the Mack trade made sense for them with regards to the situation they were in. At the same time, if Mack was still around he would be taking their defense to the next level right now

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Quiet up till the moment he somehow manages to turn Carr into a quadriplegic in practice

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Glennon was tearing it up the first game, which tells you all you need to know about preseason football

Play
Apr 25, 2006

LabyaMynora posted:

Also - just lol at Gruden's son ever being a UFC fighter. It reminds me though, doesn't Gruden have another son named Deuce who is all roided out who works under him on the Raiders? Funny how he is never mentioned on Hard Knocks...

Saw a pretty amusing thing on a youtube program similar to hard knocks but for the Bucs. Bruce Arians' failson, introduced as Jake Arians, President and CEO of the Arians Family Foundation (I wonder if he got that job on merit :thunk: ?). Him and his girlfriend/wife also had these hideous orange shirts on with graphics on them meant to evoke Arians mustaches and headset and I was struck by how strange that all was

I'd be interested to learn more about Gruden's failson(s?)

Play
Apr 25, 2006

heard this season is boring as hell and wouldn't even have a single draw if gruden wasn't on it. no gm/coach drama, boring human-interest segments, etc. not the spicy meatball we were promised

c/d

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Blitz7x posted:

Carrs friends were traded

that's quite the excuse for not having any friends lol

CubanMissile posted:

Did Gruden's kid do something to deserve everyone making GBS threads on him?

Nah I don't think so. I get the feeling folks are more curious than anything else and would've liked to see something a bit different. For me I always enjoyed learning about staff like the dudes who do the field or equipment and stuff. There's so much stuff to film during training camp that I'm surprised it turned out so dull

I feel like the early ones were actually better because guys were less wary around the camera and you saw a lot more authentic stuff including some funny pranks

Best line so far:

quote:

Buckner clowned the rookie at the end of the episode when the 350-pound defensive tackle dared to wonder aloud if Buckner eats candy before position group meetings.

“I ain’t like you,” Buckner told Rush. “You a habitual fat person that like to sneak around and eat.”

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Blowjob Overtime posted:

The best part of that line was the cut to the dude eating a Fruit By the Foot while his eyes darted around.

Unfortunately the guy in that clip was actually Trent Brown, who wasn't involved in that exchange. Still funny as gently caress

Play
Apr 25, 2006

pnumoman posted:

I'm definitely a bit disappointed that there wasn't any spicy Raiders drama, but as my first full season of Hard Knocks, I had a good time watching an NFL team get ready for the season. Really did seem like a very slick PR job though; I understand the past season with the Browns was more interesting? Any other seasons worth taking a look at?

I didn't think the Browns one was that great but it was middling at least. The original Hard Knocks with the 2001 Ravens was probably one of my favorites just because training camp was a different beast back then. Also enjoyed the 2010 Jets, Texans in 2015 and the Bucs in 2017. Bucs one is particularly funny because everyone seemed to think is was going to be a huge breakout year for them

humpthewind posted:

Anyone know how to watch previous seasons? HBO doesn't seem to have them on their site.

I've torrented some in the past, I think I got a big collection of them but even the torrents can be hard to find because I don't think they're released on DVD at all

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Blitz7x posted:

The Raiders absolutely did not want to be on Hard Knocks and dragged their heels every bit of the way. For them coming off as a boring team (yeah the AB helmet stuff, but it's not like they couldn't not mention it) is a huge PR win

yeah its loving lame

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Paperback Writer posted:

Did people seriously find the Texans and Bucs that much more interesting than this?

Carr looks great compared to those QBs and Tannehill.

for all his faults jameis has ten times the personality of derek carr.

It's not all about one guy, either. I just liked the texans one but I couldn't tell you for sure it was better or why

Play
Apr 25, 2006

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Hard Knocks but it's about recently retired football players trying to deal with how wrecked their minds and bodies are.

that's a three part dramatic miniseries starring ving rhames if I've ever conceptualized one

Play
Apr 25, 2006

I loved the story of how they called McVay the piss boy when he had just started out in Tampa

Play
Apr 25, 2006

yeah this year was basically on par with all those youtube series that each team releases during the offseason. more a promotional video than anything else, which is what the NFL and the Raiders want. It used to be a lot more "real" but I guess coaches and team officials are figuring out that they can totally control the narrative if they want to

Play
Apr 25, 2006

seiferguy posted:

It's weird that all the camp guys they followed ended up being cut - Willson, Doss, Cabinda, et al. Really feel like there was a lot of missing storylines there. Given Gruden, Mark Davis and AB are all on the team there should have better storylines.

To be fair they made some decent guesses to follow some guys who had okay chances to make the team, but it's not like they know in advance. Still struck out though.

Seems like Josh Jacobs and Clelin Ferrell told them to pound rocks, because usually they also feature a highly drafted rookie or two. There was a bit of that safety whatshisface and then quite a large amount of Hunter Renfrow but almost nothing from their top two picks

Mark Davis didn't even appear until the final episode as far as i can tell, AB is just a weirdo and not all that interesting to listen to or talk about, and Carr has less personality than a plastic bag drifting in the wind

Play
Apr 25, 2006

LabyaMynora posted:

The recovering drug addict Tight End got a job.

That was a good storyline actually. Unique, and it made me pull for him, plus he's got that former addict tendency to be willing to talk about some deeply personal things in a way that nobody else in the show was really willing to do. He put himself out there and I hope he has a good career

LabyaMynora posted:

Also, I just realized - zero Deuce Gruden.

They even had a scene in the last episode of Jon Gruden going over tape with the Running Backs. No sign of Deuce anywhere.

It's almost like Jon's aware enough to hide his shameful son.

They did have his little baby UFC fighter son though, for about 3 seconds of screen time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

what are you even trying to say Blitz