Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

I've always felt that asking "did they even playtest this before shoving it out the door" is rude and diminishes the work that goes into a game but drat if that thought wasn't on my mind during that loving reanimator fight. I don't even feel like I did anything different or better when I finally beat it; the enemies just...decided to attack me less?

Kind of had the same experience with the fight to defend the Root Mother. It seemed like I numerically just did not have the DPS to kill the enemies before she died, particularly the big sword dude that busts in towards the end. After trying it a ton of times, on my successful attempt it just...didn't spawn that dude, or the ranged elites that spawn at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

40 Proof Listerine posted:

if you shoot it when it busts in, it'll chase you instead of the VIP

That wasn't my experience - I always started unloading on him the moment he showed up in a desperate attempt to kill him as quickly as possible, but he always beelined straight for the NPC. If I stood right up against him shooting him constantly, he would eventually turn around to attack me, but she'd be almost dead by then, and the rest of the room that I'd been neglecting would easily finish her off. It didn't help that I was using the coach gun, so if I wanted to deal good damage to the archer elites, I'd have to waste time chasing them all over the room as they teleported around. (I switched to the hunting rifle after that fight and it seems like a much better weapon.)

Also do the big sword guys even have weak points? I took their metal helmets to mean "you can't headshot these dudes like the regular trash, so you're just going to have to wear them down" but then later enemies sometimes had weird unique weak points, and I never got a chance to go back and test whether the sword dudes had a hidden one somewhere.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

40 Proof Listerine posted:

Yeah far as I can tell the sword dudes are just big meat shields with no weak point - if you start meleeing them, it generally gets their attention faster than shooting them. There's a ring that increases aggro and you won't have it at that part of the story in Normal - it makes doing it on Hard / Nightmare easier.

Summons like the little fungus guys also help draw attention; I like stuff like the fireball too for pumping up aggro.

Hunting Rifle owns because it seems to have extra stagger damage built in compared to some of the other guns (like the particle weapons from bosses); Coach Gun is real good for burst headshot damage.

I was playing on Hard, actually, but I never found that ring. I also never got any fungus guy summons. I got Explosive Shot (after the Root Mother fight though) and used that for a lot of the game, since it would just delete a whole group of guys, or you could fire off all 3 shots at a big enemy for a ton of burst damage.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

SynthesisAlpha posted:

getting a damage buff by killing things in the shadow realm

Whoa what, I had no idea that was a mechanic. I thought the shadow realm enemies were just there to refill your ammo since you can't get any from the boss itself, coming at the cost of taking constant damage while you're in there. Good job communicating, game.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Yeah I didn't notice that counter at all. All I could tell was that I was clearly dealing no meaningful damage at first, and then he sent me to the shadow realm, and then I could deal tons of damage. I figured it was just like an invulnerability phase or whatnot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Vasler posted:

You're right! I got the gear!

What's another good primary weapon? I'm having a tough time finding something more useful than my hunter's rifle. I have things like the assault rifle, sniper rifle, a devastator, an energy rifle (really low base damage on this) and ruin.

Are any of these worth investing in?

I tried a fair number of other weapons and the hunting rifle was really hard to beat. I think the beam rifle worked a bit better for me overall, but it was definitely a tradeoff and not a clear upgrade - it takes a while to build up to its full damage so it's rough when you need to do a lot of dodging or hit-and-run shooting.