Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
I didn't see if any where but is there a way to hide your head armor piece? Most of them just look stupid from the back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

OzFactor posted:

Not in 7. Or 8. Or 9. Am I missing something here? Has anyone ever even seen "Sorrow's Field" because I am running out of ways to keep this interesting. But I will say that a) I have a whole lot of iron and scrap and a pile of Simulacra, and b) I've done a few of these runs all-melee and it's made me appreciate the game's movement and dodging a lot more.

I'm trait rank 600 something and have more hours in this game than are reasonable and I still don't have the Twisted armor set from Earth. Granted, I have almost everything ELSE but uh yeah.

Sometimes it do be like that.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

BexGu posted:

I didn't see if any where but is there a way to hide your head armor piece? Most of them just look stupid from the back.

Should be in the options under gameplay

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Just finished the expansion and... okay? Reisum just feels unfinished from a story perspective - no real NPCs to interact with at all, lots of empty space to trek through with only the snarls of the ratdudes to make it interesting, and a real mixed bag of bosses from Ornstein and Smough-dog being pretty fun to the Conjurer just being a hide behind cover and shoot and pray annoyance. Final boss is just not enjoyable - I hate multi-phase bosses that make you fight through both after death and the second (major) phase is just not particularly fun, especially solo. If the camera were better, I wouldn't mind it so much but it asks a LOT to aim at the boss for his weakpoints while lining up the camera to do that but ALSO need to line up the camera so that you can tell if dodge-rolling will put you IN or OUT of the path of the laser beams he's charging up.

And then the ending cinematic is largely nonsensical and ends with a whimper.

It's been a long time since I've played a game that is both incredibly satisfying gameplay-wise but just ANNOYING in terms of creative decisions made with the story and world design. I was hoping I'd get the sense they were learning but from the start of the DLC (where DID that NPC who jumped through that portal with you go and why was he even featured?) to the end, every story beat just seemed... unnecessary and lame.

Argh. I want to play more and I don't, all at once.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Captain Oblivious posted:

I'm trait rank 600 something and have more hours in this game than are reasonable and I still don't have the Twisted armor set from Earth. Granted, I have almost everything ELSE but uh yeah.

I'm actually using the Twisted set right now! I also totally misread it and did not realize it only boosts melee/mod damage! Which is fine because I just wanted to see how deep you could dive into regen as a stat (Mender's Amulet, Bloodstone Ring, Twisted Set), and I've got around 2.3 hp/sec and I don't even have Triage maxed.

I absolutely recommend using the save manager off the subreddit to analyze your game and tell you what events/bosses/drops are spawning. Not for like, a first playthrough, but once you want a specific piece of gear it's a lot better to just reroll and scan than run Earth for the 9th time hoping for the mask guy to spawn and maybe not even finding his dungeon if he does.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

Captain Oblivious posted:

I have that! But yeah I'm at the point where I would use that save manager thing. Anyone have a link? I'll start looking.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
https://hzla.github.io/Remnant-World-Analyzer/

I just keep rerolling adventure worlds until I get what I'm looking for. You have to enter the world at least once first.

Said the Drifter hat was a drop in one through and for the life of me I just could not find it.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
What rate do you get Glowing Fragments at on higher difficulties? Wondering how painful it would be to farm them for the Hero's Sword.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

BexGu posted:

https://hzla.github.io/Remnant-World-Analyzer/

I just keep rerolling adventure worlds until I get what I'm looking for. You have to enter the world at least once first.

Said the Drifter hat was a drop in one through and for the life of me I just could not find it.

Thanks! This is ridiculously useful.

edit: this is rad, you don't even have to leave the game to do this. I can check one per minute!

OzFactor fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Aug 28, 2020

Estel
May 4, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

What rate do you get Glowing Fragments at on higher difficulties? Wondering how painful it would be to farm them for the Hero's Sword.

If i remember correctly on Hard you get 3 fragments per boss and 5 per world boss. I think elites can sometimes drop them but it's a really low chance. On higher difficulties the number of dropped fragments increases.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

OzFactor posted:

Thanks! This is ridiculously useful.

There is also this Save Manager and Analyzer but I've never used it: https://www.reddit.com/r/remnantgame/comments/d3ipna/remnant_save_manager_formerly_remnant_backup/

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Boy am I glad I used this because it took twelve re-rolls.

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer
Is there anything else you can do with the boss drop mats apart from take it to the rude engineer?

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

Hollandia posted:

Is there anything else you can do with the boss drop mats apart from take it to the rude engineer?

Technically you can sell them for scrap and get a new one next time you kill the boss. Probably. I haven't tested it.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Hollandia posted:

The rude engineer is indeed the lady who you want to take boss drop materials to. I assume her attitude is due to you constantly rocking up with bizarre alien poo poo and expecting her to turn it into functional, effective weaponry.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Darth Walrus posted:

The rude engineer is indeed the lady who you want to take boss drop materials to. I assume her attitude is due to you constantly rocking up with bizarre alien poo poo and expecting her to turn it into functional, effective weaponry.

Her workbench is full of fascinating work in progress. It's a cool detail. I just wish the Chekov's engine block got paid off somewhere down the line.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Do the boss items not drop in Adventure mode? I thought I hadn’t fought Thrall before but it has also been like a year since I picked it up.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

^burtle posted:

Do the boss items not drop in Adventure mode? I thought I hadn’t fought Thrall before but it has also been like a year since I picked it up.

They do. You may already have it, or the associated mod/weapon.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I love this game, but I'm totally stuck on the boss that you fight on the bridge that attack from both sides. Any advice? I apologize I can't remember the name!

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The two moths in corsus? you want a faster firing weapon to shoot the homing things out of the air so osseous armor is good for getting more DPS on the bosses while you’re at it. The bubble shield you get from the double golem boss fight in rhom also blocks the homing things so it’s an extremely good pick. Always try to have it charged by the time they appear. There’s sound cues for everything they do so listen carefully for the one you’re not looking at

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Lightning Knight posted:

They do. You may already have it, or the associated mod/weapon.

Got it, I was wondering but will confirm after work. Thanks!

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

SalTheBard posted:

I love this game, but I'm totally stuck on the boss that you fight on the bridge that attack from both sides. Any advice? I apologize I can't remember the name!

You can shoot the cocooned one before it comes out and take a good chunk of its health off before it's even a threat. At least you could when I last fought it before any DLC was out.

I've been playing with a friend and we each had a designated one to hit when they go for the charge up attack that you can interrupt.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

odiv posted:

You can shoot the cocooned one before it comes out

Oh wut

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

SalTheBard posted:

The thing that I figured out that changed the fight for me is that when both dudes are out, one of them will only do the big lasers. The laser moth doesn't actually aim for you, it just moves back and forth across the bridge, so you don't need to constantly turn your back on the active one as long as you work your way to one side and then run back when you would have been cornered.

Yes you can pop the second cocoon for a free 25% damage. I did it with Coach Gun + fire bullets mod and Spitfire (its mod doesn't reach the boss but it's good for taking out the homing shots). Eye of the Storm is also a favorite long gun of mine and it works well here because of its huge magazine. You need enough damage to interrupt the scream or you basically waste a dragon heart charge, and reloading makes that really tough.

That fight might be the most attempts I needed for any fight my first time, but drat did it feel good when I won. Also that's another double drop boss: after you kill one the other enrages after a short time, so the window for their conditional drop is to kill them before the enrage.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

odiv posted:

You can shoot the cocooned one before it comes out and take a good chunk of its health off before it's even a threat. At least you could when I last fought it before any DLC was out.

I've been playing with a friend and we each had a designated one to hit when they go for the charge up attack that you can interrupt.

You can WHAT

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.

CJacobs posted:

You can WHAT

It helps to co-op but you can shoot the other before you reach a health checkpoint on the other.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Ixilis is a projectile-heavy boss, so using the Veil of the Black Sun mod when one of them summons their swarm of energy bolts will make your life much easier, if you have that. VOTBS also blocks their corrosive bombs, for extra breathing room.

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

Lmao never knew about the cocoon thing.

The boss itself is almost a puzzle boss since it follows a really predictable pattern. You just need to figure it out and then do enough dps so that they have low health when they reach the clusterfuck phase at the end of the fight.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

I've always felt that asking "did they even playtest this before shoving it out the door" is rude and diminishes the work that goes into a game but drat if that thought wasn't on my mind during that loving reanimator fight. I don't even feel like I did anything different or better when I finally beat it; the enemies just...decided to attack me less?

Kind of had the same experience with the fight to defend the Root Mother. It seemed like I numerically just did not have the DPS to kill the enemies before she died, particularly the big sword dude that busts in towards the end. After trying it a ton of times, on my successful attempt it just...didn't spawn that dude, or the ranged elites that spawn at the same time.

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Baroness Kanan-Zelaya of the minor House of Carbon

Triarii posted:

I've always felt that asking "did they even playtest this before shoving it out the door" is rude and diminishes the work that goes into a game but drat if that thought wasn't on my mind during that loving reanimator fight. I don't even feel like I did anything different or better when I finally beat it; the enemies just...decided to attack me less?

Kind of had the same experience with the fight to defend the Root Mother. It seemed like I numerically just did not have the DPS to kill the enemies before she died, particularly the big sword dude that busts in towards the end. After trying it a ton of times, on my successful attempt it just...didn't spawn that dude, or the ranged elites that spawn at the same time.

They actually gave the Root mother more health in the DLC patch, so they know it's a rough fight.

The big sword dude that busts in at the end is an aggro test - if you shoot it when it busts in, it'll chase you instead of the VIP. The fight's super hectic and a target priority test since if you're good with headshots you can pop the enemies about as fast as they come in.

Remnant's thing is that it's really dicey solo and still doable, you just need way higher execution than playing in a group of 2 or 3 - it's the kind of game where you need to be prepared mentally for a boss to be a roadblock for a few hours while getting the execution down, and that's not for everyone

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

40 Proof Listerine posted:

if you shoot it when it busts in, it'll chase you instead of the VIP

That wasn't my experience - I always started unloading on him the moment he showed up in a desperate attempt to kill him as quickly as possible, but he always beelined straight for the NPC. If I stood right up against him shooting him constantly, he would eventually turn around to attack me, but she'd be almost dead by then, and the rest of the room that I'd been neglecting would easily finish her off. It didn't help that I was using the coach gun, so if I wanted to deal good damage to the archer elites, I'd have to waste time chasing them all over the room as they teleported around. (I switched to the hunting rifle after that fight and it seems like a much better weapon.)

Also do the big sword guys even have weak points? I took their metal helmets to mean "you can't headshot these dudes like the regular trash, so you're just going to have to wear them down" but then later enemies sometimes had weird unique weak points, and I never got a chance to go back and test whether the sword dudes had a hidden one somewhere.

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Baroness Kanan-Zelaya of the minor House of Carbon

Triarii posted:

Also do the big sword guys even have weak points? I took their metal helmets to mean "you can't headshot these dudes like the regular trash, so you're just going to have to wear them down" but then later enemies sometimes had weird unique weak points, and I never got a chance to go back and test whether the sword dudes had a hidden one somewhere.

Yeah far as I can tell the sword dudes are just big meat shields with no weak point - if you start meleeing them, it generally gets their attention faster than shooting them. There's a ring that increases aggro and you won't have it at that part of the story in Normal - it makes doing it on Hard / Nightmare easier.

Summons like the little fungus guys also help draw attention; I like stuff like the fireball too for pumping up aggro.

Hunting Rifle owns because it seems to have extra stagger damage built in compared to some of the other guns (like the particle weapons from bosses); Coach Gun is real good for burst headshot damage.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
I love the Coach Gun since either you finish off the mob with a single clean headshot and aim for the next target or pump in another round to finish them off. With the Hunter armor you can breeze through targets one by one.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

40 Proof Listerine posted:

Yeah far as I can tell the sword dudes are just big meat shields with no weak point - if you start meleeing them, it generally gets their attention faster than shooting them. There's a ring that increases aggro and you won't have it at that part of the story in Normal - it makes doing it on Hard / Nightmare easier.

Summons like the little fungus guys also help draw attention; I like stuff like the fireball too for pumping up aggro.

Hunting Rifle owns because it seems to have extra stagger damage built in compared to some of the other guns (like the particle weapons from bosses); Coach Gun is real good for burst headshot damage.

I was playing on Hard, actually, but I never found that ring. I also never got any fungus guy summons. I got Explosive Shot (after the Root Mother fight though) and used that for a lot of the game, since it would just delete a whole group of guys, or you could fire off all 3 shots at a big enemy for a ton of burst damage.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
DLC work grabbing? Haven't played since before they introduced adventure mode so it's been quite a while but I'm starting to feel the itch again.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Anybody know how scaling works in coop? Some of my friends are jumping in because the game was free on Epic. If I wear gear at their upgrade level would I be effective or gimping myself?

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

WarpedLichen posted:

Anybody know how scaling works in coop? Some of my friends are jumping in because the game was free on Epic. If I wear gear at their upgrade level would I be effective or gimping myself?

The game will scale to whoever is the highest level (meaning the gear level, as shown on the character screen), but if the lower-level player hosts, this scaling will be capped at their level+3

Scaling is based on available gear level, so it doesn't matter what you wear. You can equip less-upgraded stuff if you don't want to overshadow them.

Latest adjustment that I'm aware of: https://store.steampowered.com/news/?appids=617290&appgroupname=Remnant%3A+From+the+Ashes&enddate=1567321200

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator
Re: Ixillis - I beat them solo a few nights ago, but it was pretty frustrating for the first handful of deaths, particularly because my short-range / melee focused build felt uniquely boned by their gimmick.
(Also my usual co op partner has been unavailable for the last little while)

The best method I found after some experimentation was that a decently upgraded beam rifle + fire ammo really chews through their health; I pretty much burned down the first one almost completely before the second moth even came out.

After a few frantic dodge-cancel reloads and sidearm plinking it became a 1v1 and was pretty easy.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Also you can shoot the second one before it’s even out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

First time killing Ixillis we killed both at the same time just because we thought it was easier.

For the second kill way later me and my partner brought in the turrets and skulls and they seriously just melted the boss while we just sorta ran back and forth.

E: oh also when they do their charge attack their weak spot is open. If you stack some weak spot damage it knocks them out of it with a few shots.