Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

:cheers:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I don't love this set by any stretch but it does really make me want to check out the pre2000s Top 100 list WADs, at least play a couple levels of each to see what they're like.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

In Training posted:

I don't love this set by any stretch but it does really make me want to check out the pre2000s Top 100 list WADs, at least play a couple levels of each to see what they're like.

I’ve been doing that off and on and it’s been interesting seeing Doom mapping come into form. A lot of misses just for technical or balancing reasons though. I find it helpful to look at onemandoom for each of them; compatibility problems are generally noted, and so are issues with pistol starting.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

In Training posted:

I was burning through this before I got on my Slaughter wad kick.

https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/109654-%E2%AC%86%EF%B8%8F-doomworld-community-top-wads-of-all-time-resurrected/

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Arivia posted:

I’ve been doing that off and on and it’s been interesting seeing Doom mapping come into form. A lot of misses just for technical or balancing reasons though. I find it helpful to look at onemandoom for each of them; compatibility problems are generally noted, and so are issues with pistol starting.

Cool, I think the most striking problem with TTP is that about 70% of a given map is hitscan and there have been multiple levels with 0 no -secret armor. Wow! You get to make like to mistakes with a chaingunner for the entire map as a result, and I have to do so much corner peaking + door combat to compensate.

That said you were right about MAP06, especially that red key room, very rad level design.

Rack
Aug 5, 2003

I've misunderstood what a lion is.

Grimey Drawer
I'm so happy I found this thread. I fell into the Doomhole again a couple months ago, and I'm just excited to have other people to talk about it with.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Rack posted:

I'm so happy I found this thread. I fell into the Doomhole again a couple months ago, and I'm just excited to have other people to talk about it with.

Hell yeah, it's a great thread for Doomin'.

@In Training: Don't forget you can "stack" chaingunners, if they're behind each other use them as ablative armor against each others attacks. Pretty helpful if they catch you out in the open. And yeah, the general criticism of TTP that it's hitscan, boxy, and puzzles is true, it just all pays off in that one map.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

I have a mod question: Anybody know about "Real Guns Advanced" and how to get it to work on GZDoom? The ModDB for it is kind of a mess.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Grimthwacker posted:

I have a mod question: Anybody know about "Real Guns Advanced" and how to get it to work on GZDoom? The ModDB for it is kind of a mess.

the only advice i can give from a quick google is to try zandronum, not gzdoom. they're close but not exactly the same, and the discussion i'm seeing is mainly for zandronum

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Arivia posted:

the only advice i can give from a quick google is to try zandronum, not gzdoom. they're close but not exactly the same, and the discussion i'm seeing is mainly for zandronum

Yeah, I thought that was the case. Downloaded Zandronum and found a copy of the mod as a backup just for that possibility.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Mr. Sharps posted:

the music is pure cyriak it’s perfect

I'm just going to chime in here, from a few months ago, and say that, yes, the Going Down music IS weird and odd and off-putting and seems to celebrate dissonance more often than phases of the moon, but I remember checking out the opening of /w Bob and David on Netflix, also done 100% by Cyriak, and I guess I kind of get it now. I seriously didn't even realize the connection and still felt, at the time, "man, this reminds me of Going Down" and was extremely surprised to learn that my feelings were accurate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykPXNhqQM8E

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

I've started a Doom 30th anniversary megawad, 30 Years with Doom and it's been pretty good so far. Rather chunky maps that have been well designed with bits and pieces of architecture from the original maps.