Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I wasn’t sure what studio made Star Trek IV but I’m pretty sure it’s Paramount.

Okay here’s my own white whale: as a child I had a beautiful illustrated mythology book that I lost or gave away stupidly at some point. This was in Canada in the mid-90s, and I remember it being a hardcover book in a larger format. It was a collection of various mythological tales: the two I remember were Beowulf and St. George and the Dragon.

Thanks in advance if anyone has any ideas!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Tip posted:

the one thing they all had in common, kelsey grammar :thunk:

No one deserves to die for being a grammer nazi.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Jakabite posted:

So about, I wanna say 15 years ago, there was an MMO due to come out. It was medieval fantasy setting, had full player collision (which it made a big deal of if I remember right) and I think it had a base building element to it. It also had wolf men of some variety. It was called Dark something, like Dark Age or Dark Crusade or some poo poo. I don’t believe it ever actually got released and I always wonder what happened cos kid-me was excited as poo poo.

Dark Age of Camelot? It did pretty well for awhile then faded away as all MMOs do.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Funky See Funky Do posted:

There's no freedom here in Afghanistan. They can't even celebrate Christmas or they'll be killed.

right, not like christ isn't already a holy figure in islam himself or anything

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I am looking for an (edited?) old comic book cover

where uh, like a dude is married to another woman now and his girlfriend is sad about it

and he's saying something like "sometimes these things just happen and we have no control over them!"

this sounds like an old lois lane cover with superman married to someone else, probably lana lang

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Literally A Person posted:

Can anyone find me a place to purchase 90's copies of Fantasy Review? It's a magazine but I can't seem to find anyway to get my hands on some physical copies. Any help would be much appreciated!

Here's a comic book seller's website that lists a number of copies for sale: https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?TID=407921, but it only lists it as continuing until 1987. I'm finding nothing suggesting there were later issues, it might have changed names to ScienceFantasy Review at some point (or that may have happened to a UK zine of the same name), and it's really hard to tease out what's what. Even ISFDB doesn't have an entry for it, which is really weird.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

kupachek posted:

This is the only other music for the Space level I've come across so far that doesn't match what I hear when I go through other videos of the final game, is different from the linked video earlier, but I don't know if I'd call it more chill, but has a different energy for sure.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1oCi_kWOAFiplRvLUhlNAOsd8A0dbPmQV/view?usp=sharing

There’s also a complete upload of the soundtrack here to compare to https://youtu.be/7amQVPkRK8A

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Outrail posted:

Pretty sure that's an evolutionary mid-step between whales and wolves. Possibly a misstep.

Return to sea, dog

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Milo and POTUS posted:

It's like Ahab finally locating moby dick and he shows him his collection of anime figurines. Just a real back out of the room moment

This really isn’t that far fetched an idea, the third chapter of the actual book is Ishmael worrying about Queequeg’s waifu.

Arivia fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Dec 23, 2021

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

Unfortunately that would be too recent for it to be it. I did find some videos on YouTube though of the show and found an episode where they parody one of my favorite rap groups ever so this was an awesome find regardless.

Chumbawumba???

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

magic cactus posted:

This is an odd one: Around 2017 or so, a website started making the rounds of various internet culture pages. It was some thing about some 89 year old dude "seeking a perfect republican wife." If you went to the website, you'd be given a questionnaire to fill out with some standard questions asking where you stand on typical "conservative values" type stuff. Answer wrong and you'd get a generic "I'm sorry I don't think we're right for each other" type thing. Answer correctly however, and you'd get taken to another part of the page full of bizarre rants about the power of tantric sex and a weird preoccupation with the "natural beauty" of puerto rican women or something :confused: The whole aesthetic was extremely web 1.0/geocities, but it couldn't have been later than Trump's first term, as I remember making a "I bet this guy voted for Trump" joke when I shared it with some friends. It's back in my mind because a buddy of mine shared something kind of similar with me, and my brain dug it up like some long forgotten fever dream. I think I might have stumbled upon it here in a GBS thread, but I don't have any idea how to work the search, and I'm not positive that it wasn't just a weird fever dream I had after all.

I don’t have a link but I DO remember it, it wasn’t a fever dream you were having.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

shadow puppet of a posted:

lol gently caress no i watched a 3 minute youtube

gently caress reading.

Spoa reading is how you differentiate between the good and the bad canned soups

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Duckwaffle posted:

Leon: the professional?

A potted *plant* not a portman.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

titties posted:

In that gif the person throwing the kick was Anderson Silva but i will not search for "anderson silva foot licking gif"

you coward

apparently the joke is that the guy he's kicking and the guy doing the foot licking are literally the same person, that guy does mma and did a foot fetish video with his wife

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Milo and POTUS posted:

Does anyone know where I can get this type of candy for prices that aren't insane

(they're out of stock here)

https://www.sweetgourmet.com/sweetgourmet-guittard-smooth-n-melty-petite-mints.html

You asked at exactly the right time of year, they’re quite popular around Christmas. Search for “Christmas melty mints” gets me lots of stuff like https://www.shopthebulkstore.com/smooth-melty-mints-petite.html

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

InediblePenguin posted:

ooh, thanks for this, they also have a good price on chocolate nonpareils i've been trying to find for a gift

just to be clear i have no idea if that site is any good or not, i just knew that the things the op asked for were common this time of year and googled to find american results for where to buy them (i'm Canadian). so i very much hope they have good chocolate nonpareils!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Dr. Quarex posted:

I read William McNeill's "Rise of the West: A History of the Human Community" for my master's research ages ago, and there was an off-handed remark about a small group of "adventurers" (like 6, 10, a dozen, something like that) who nearly conquered Constantinople in the 1500s/1600sish, said so flippantly like this was some kind of anecdote everyone knows, but of course I have absolutely no idea what it referred to nor have I ever been able to figure it out. Any History Goons who immediately know what this is? It basically sounded like the best D&D game ever from that description

I tried to find the passage again in the book at some point after that but it is like 8 million pages and I felt like even if I read it from cover to cover again I could easily doze off mid-sentence and miss it

I asked some D&D friends who are history nerds and one of them found the section:

quote:

Nevertheless, the Byzantine empire died slowly. Periods of partial recovery, such as that between 1081 and 1180 under the energetic Comneni emperors, resembled the spectacular recoveries of earlier Byzantine history; but in the long run the social and economic processes undermining the power of the central government proved more than even the most resolute emperors could overcome. During the twelfth century, first Serbia (from 1167) and then Bulgaria (from 1187) broke away from Byzantine sovereignty. A more crippling disaster was the capture of Constantinople by Western Crusaders in 1204. Frankish adventurers held the city until 1261 and carved out duchies for themselves from the richest Byzantine territories of Europe, although they failed to overrun northwestern Asia Minor, where Greek rule and the imperial title survived. Even after the Greek emperor regained his capital, the territories he ruled consisted only of dispersed fragments, owning little more than a nominal allegiance to Constantinople.

This is in McNeill's discussion of the Fourth Crusade.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Dr. Quarex posted:

If it is not Enigma it is Deep Forest and if it is not Deep Forest it is MYTHICAL

Not really but man chanting and minimalist electronic grooves are a very small subset of pre-2005ish-music

Other ideas: Single Gun Theory, Dead Can Dance remixes, early Delerium

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Milo and POTUS posted:

gonna take a crack at an artist or maybe an album name. Kinda vaguely classical languages sounding like lyceum or something. This is not the metal band, just what I kinda sorta remember from eons ago. Somewhere in that ballpark

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lycia_(band) maybe?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

SulfurMonoxideCute posted:

I want to thank the goon who mentioned Delerium. I was extremely obsessed with Semantic Spaces when I was 13, then somehow completely forgot about it, except a random melody or misheard lyric would show up in my head and I didn't know how I could possibly find it. I just listened to the entire album, and I'm telling you, time of my life. The memories.

You’re welcome! Everything after that album is more of the same. “Silence” with Sarah McLachlan was a big hit you’ve probably heard.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

JediTalentAgent posted:

This is a strange one: Years ago I had been accepted to college and there was something I had somewhere with a very specific mention of something regarding my admission.

A school administrator, a few months later, changed it in their computer so it looked like it never existed.

I threw out a bunch of my old college stuff years ago, but I stumbled upon a letter from nearly 2 decades ago that gives me hope that I STILL have it somewhere because it would literally be in writing from the school and considering the school told me, "If you don't have it in writing, it's your word against a staff member, and we'll believe a staff member over you." it would be great to find.

Do you want goons to come search your house or something

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

CheeseThief posted:

Growing up I was huge fan of those CYOA books, Fighting Fantasy of course but stuff like Virtual Reality and Knightmare as well.

Now I am a primary school teacher and with world book day coming up I thought a cool thing I could do with my students is run them through a CYOA with maybe a prize if they can clear it. I am certain a few years ago you could find tons of classic CYOAs on websites you could play in the browser but I'm struggling to find them now.

Do you goons know of any websites (not apps) hosting some of the classic CYOAs for free? Failing that, do you know of any CYOAs hosted online that aren't too long/hard I could run?

Additionally, for myself, does anyone know the name of a CYOA for young readers that is about going to mars to retrieve a toaster? Sort of a kids sci fi parody where you're getting the toaster for the queen of space or something, on of the bad endings had you cleaning the floors of the royal kitchens which were so huge you'd die of old age before you'd finish.

The internet archive’s open library has a bunch of them up https://openlibrary.org/collections/CYOA

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Sex Farm posted:

A short story that i remember being linked to from here. I think there was a lady reporter on assignment and going with a... scientist? Into some sort of either time machine or shrinking machine. I think it has something to do with the heat death of the universe, i remember at the end she survives somehow and she finds out the scientist tried it again?

Stephen Baxter’s In The Abyss of Time: https://silo.pub/in-the-abyss-of-time.html

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Sex Farm posted:

This is the one! Thank you!

Thanks also go to titties for quoting you and getting me thinking about your post just right to remember the story and where it was hosted online. You're welcome!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
That piece of obscure eurojank did actually get released it seems like: https://www.mobygames.com/game/151744/metal-combat/

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Milo and POTUS posted:

Horror movie premise: Your memories are all real and all terrifying

This is just called having an anxiety disorder

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I seem to remember there being a thread for old SA stuff you can't remember, but I can't find it, so I have a request on behalf of a friend who's not a goon. She remembers a spooky/creepy (calls it a creepypasta) front page article written as a series of how-tos, with one part about plants. If anyone has any ideas, that would be great (betting Zack Parsons wrote it, but when I think creepy Zack stuff I think of the prison series.)

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

thank you!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Domus posted:

My white whale is finding the magic way to get Parsons writing again. I adore his stuff. It’s creepy in a very unique way.

Doesn’t he write sci-fi novels now?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Dienes posted:

I think it was Dall-E 2 or Midjourney art. It was a digital painting of a fantasy dude in a trenchcoat (face not shown) but inside the trenchcoat were kittens of various colors hanging in the pockets. Like a black market kitten dealer. My D&D players recently established a kitten orphanage, and it would be perfect to use as an NPC portrait....if I can find it again.

https://www.reddit.com/r/cat/comments/12tk4t9/cats_resident_evil_4_merchant_got_some_rare/

It’s a resident evil 4 meme technically

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Arrhythmia posted:

I think you're thinking of this from, like, not even a year ago. Dunno if this is the best video, it was hard to find the primary source instead of some clown yakking with his own opinions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZB5flxVcq0I

so if i'm watching this right the dude got real mad that she bluffed him hard and didn't do what you're "supposed to do" because she knew she could play him. lol get wrecked poker dude.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

I'm looking for a Buddy Rich comic and having like no luck. He asks some guys at the bar who the best drummer in the world is and one of them answers "Gene Kruper" and Bud flies of the loving handle.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Wow. I really didn't remember the art style like at all. Thank you!

no problem, it was five minutes of "i wonder if" loving around on google searches.

if you're not aware, there's an ironic undertone to that comic: krupa and rich did two albums together.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

emSparkly posted:

I totally know I once played a T rated game that dropped an F bomb but I can't remember it for the life of me. I sadly don't really remember anything else about the game. I just know they said gently caress in the dialogue and it wasn't part of a song or anything.

T rated games can drop F bombs, there’s no rule saying they can’t. It’s the MPAA that goes super harsh on swearing, not the ESRB.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

ponzicar posted:

High school hoodlums just loving love evolutionary biology.

They aren’t shooting up science class I’ll tell you what!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

aniviron posted:

Hell yeah, love me some The Proper People. Can't help you with the song unfortunately, and TPP never put song titles or attributions in their videos which has definitely driven me crazy before.

The video text does say the music except from the introduction is from this service, at least: https://www.musicbed.com

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

Maybe I'm not the kind of person to be excited by tattoo ideas anyway, but for what it's worth I would think on getting a tattoo of a living person who might yet turn out to be some kind of awful creep

David Lynch is the kind of person the world has already repeatedly tried to cancel and everyone around him has stood up and gone “gently caress you gently caress that he’s too good to do that to.”

Back during the shooting of Blue Velvet in 1986 movie critics attacked Lynch, saying that he was abusing Isabella Rossellini due to what must have been required to shoot all the erotic content. Rossellini herself stated that she might have been naked a lot, but she never felt more respected, more safe, or more cared for on a film set. This pattern has continued throughout the rest of Lynch’s work. He’s not a creep.

edit: to be clear you’re not wrong to be concerned in general, it’s just not something you need to worry about for David Lynch.

Arivia fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Dec 16, 2023

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

Thanks, but I don't think so for two reasons:

1. The thing I'm thinking of, I feel was more of a documentary on people who had a medical condition that rendered them constantly angry, with the example of the guy I mentioned trying to contain his rage over a totally calm situation.

2. I'm pressure sure I watched it in my first year of university which ran from 2004-2005, whereas the Griff Rhys Jones thing was apparently in 2008.

this is from the right time period, but it's about teenagers https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don%27t_Make_Me_Angry

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Holy poo poo, you're both amazing!! I have no idea how I never stumbled upon that exact NGC issue in my search - I guess in my mind it was too late by then and it probably wasn't up last time I attempted a deep dive. And yeah, that's the movie - I found the scene on Youtube! Thank you both!!

Magazines often have their listed months be much later than the actual date they were in stores or published for, and I don't know why. It's definitely a thing that the "September" issue actually was early June.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Cyber Punk 90210 posted:

okay, here's a wild one that I just can't find on the internet anymore, I had it at one time but it's gone

There is a german channel that's like Hallmark and they make movies that are based on books written by an Irish woman about horse vets that takes place in Cold Spring/Beacon New York.

I used to live there and when they filmed movies they'd shut down the whole town

Katie Fforde: https://www.zdf-studios.com/en/program-catalog/international/drama/collections/love-romance/katie-fforde