Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

axolotl farmer posted:

I listened to this tape a lot when I was a kid. It's a demo tape that came with a 1970s Panasonic tape deck. It was an instrumental version of Ob-la-di, ob-la-da in sort a big band lounge arrangement with horns.

Found this image on discogs, but I like to know if the sound is preserved somewhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APviTkh1D7Y

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

axolotl farmer posted:

Wow! I made my post about this in 2019, and you found it now. This really made my day :sun:

Thanks again, it's groovy!
The video only appears to be uploaded in 2021, so it makes sense it was easy to find now but not then. Just started to read this thread from the start on a lark, to see if there are things that look findable that didn't get an answer.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

CPL593H posted:

A button hook maybe?
That sounds reasonable. The split tongue at the other end could then be something you shove under a button to protect your jacket while you're polishing the button (like brass ones on a uniform or something).

Alternatively, people use all sorts of weird implements while working with clay.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Enigma?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

In 1985 I stayed in a youth hostel in the uk and there was an arcade cabinet that had in its teaser animation a sideways view of a very pixelated dwarf, wizard, barbarian and I'm thinking a bow and arrow lady. Like the top third of the screen maybe. Which might be the first time I saw a computer game. I didn't get to play it. It'd be lovely to know what it was called.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

Was it gauntlet?
That's plausible, thanks.

I AM GRANDO posted:

Could it be Golden Axe?
Too new, looks like.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

The classes fit but did you say it was a side scroller?
One of the attract mode screens had this animation of them walking sideways, whatever the game itself was like could have been anything honestly.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Oh yeah that's the stuff. I don't see the image I had in my head, but the voice synthesizer is giving away that this is the game they had. Amazing, thank you.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Very I can't believe it's not Stephen King's It

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Years back, someone made a Tetris game where you could rotate the pieces freely instead of in 90 degree increments as a joke and I forgot what it was called.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Dewgy posted:

This made me remember Triptych:

https://www.chroniclogic.com/triptych.htm

And Rotris:

https://tetris.wiki/Rotris

But you might be thinking of Tetris With Physics:

https://www.crazygames.com/game/tetris-with-physics
It was as absolutely unplayable as that last one, but I remember it being a windows executable. I guess it doesn't matter, glad to have experienced again what a horror show it was either way. Thank you!

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Last Visible Dog posted:

There's also one just called "Not Tetris".
Ah! it's going to be Not Tetris 2, released in 2011, that fits. I remember showing my father, who was just wordlessly shaking his head.

Y'all are nice people digging that up for me.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Some years back I saw a 9/11 documentary that had a scene (reconstruction?) of some firemen trying to leave presumably one of the twin towers and they find themselves in an eerily unscathed hallway where the elevators seem to work. They debate, then gamble on riding one down.

After years of watching reruns, I haven't seen that one again.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Porfiriato posted:

There was the 9/11 documentary by the Naudet brothers that was famous for their having captured the first plane’s impact. They followed some of the early first responders to the WTC, and it’s been a long time since I watched it but I thought they briefly filmed in the lobby of one of the towers pre collapse.

If it’s not in that it was most likely a reconstruction in something else I’d guess.
Thanks, it isn't the Naudet brothers one apparently.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Milo and POTUS posted:

Super creepy premise, definitely a documentary? Seems like something out of fiction
In my head it's firmly filed in that documentary category and I can't recall watching much 9/11 related fiction at all. One of those crazy survivor stories that stuck with me. I agree that narratively it's a pretty compelling would you or would you not. Though it could have come from one that went deeper into what happened in building 7.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Dell_Zincht posted:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt14734548/?ref_=ext_shr

This is more recent, but includes LOTS of footage from firefighters so might include what you're looking for, if it wasn't a re-enactment.

I highly recommend watching this series anyway, probably the best 9/11 documentary you'll see.
Yeah that brings a whole bunch of material together and if you're only going to watch one, this had to be it. Doesn't contain the scene I had in mind though. Considering the apparent lack of footage from inside the buildings beyond the -1 lobby, I'm more and more convinced it has got to be a reenactment of some kind.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

cbat

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

In my head plays a motif from a movie soundtrack. Just a handful of notes. It is played on what I think are steel drums, but the mood feels aggressive more than relaxing calypso. It could be from Point break or a similar (aged) cop movie, maybe involving Nick Nolte. More Miami kind of vibe than actually Caribbean for sure. Someone's gonna know, I don't think the movie was obscure.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Salami Surgeon posted:

Commando has a theme that sounds like it fits. Steel drum kicks in 0:37
[video]
That's so drat close that it's either my memory being flawed (duh), or I guess on the outside James Horner maybe pulling the exact same trick in another soundtrack somewhere else. It scratches the itch either way, thank you!

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

This is the exact thing I was thinking about vvvv
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Edp7yVhdHvA

Thank you all very much!

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

Hey you're welcome! And what's more, since this is a Horner score there is a high probability he went and used steel drums in a similar fashion in, like, two more movies, regardless whether they had any connection to the movie's setting at all! :D

I'm also reading that around this time Irvin Kershner wanted to hire Horner for Never Say Never Again, but Sean Connery having been granted obscene powers over the production, vetoed that because Horner was new and his 48 Hrs score had Connery fearing he would've given it a similar funky jazzy dated early 80s sound. So they went with the safe pick of veteran Oscar winner Michael Legrand... who proceeded to give the movie a dated early 80s smooth jazz elevator muzack score. Allegedly Connery later confessed that if he'd had heard Horner's Star Trek II score he would've been happy to have him on composing duties.

My god, we were THIS close to having a James Horner Bond score! The possibilities...
Ha, that's neat. I'm actually happy we made the Commando detour, I would never have known about the similarity. It's funny how much excellence at something leans on having a big bag of tricks. And I guess I'm mistaking Gary Busey for Nick Nolte with the Point Break reference. Who do not look much alike, but sorta share a type in those movies?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

I remember a children's illustrated book with, I'm assuming, medieval marginalia come to life. This would be in the eighties. There were headless men with a face on their torso. Possibly also monks. I would have read this in dutch, but it seems such a british sort of topic that this might be findable anyway.

E: Probably this then

quote:

In William Mayne's 1987 children's book The Blemyah Stories, a family of Blemyahs spend a year in a medieval priory, carving stories from wood.

Still as confused now as then reading the summaries of it.

Flipperwaldt fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Apr 18, 2024

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Yeah, in this thread I probably shouldn't say it's probably this when I know positively that it is this book. It is that book.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

I have a song in my head where a verse or chorus ends with 'and I like it'. Except it sounds more like a nasal 'and oi loike it'. Lurid. It clearly doesn't take itself seriously. I don't know if this was from a meme or a tv ad or if it maybe is a full blown eurovision entry or something like that. It's driving me crazy. Can't even attach a genre or other words. It's not a ballad or metal thing I guess.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

It feels post 2010 and the meter of that weeknd song chorus matches vaguely, but it's way, way lower on the effort/talent/chart hitting side. If someone made it at home for a throwaway tweet or it's some gimmick song that only charted in the uk, I wouldn't be surprised. It could be something a contestant on taskmaster made up in 20 minutes, idk.

Wait, maybe that guy that makes songs from odd cat sounds, whatshisname.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

^^^ Ye

Oh god, I think it's

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fy29jBqckCo

Jesus, what did my brain make that into.

E: Thank you all for the suggestions as ever

Flipperwaldt fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Apr 27, 2024

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Yeah, don't hold back, those rule :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Lol seems I stumbled upon quite a broad category