Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
There was a hip-hop group in the late 90s early 2000s that use a lot of scratching and sampled a lot of horns. I want to say they were Italian or had an Italian name? I cannot remember the name of find a suitable way to google it because "early 2000s italian rap" doesn't yield anything familiar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Dr. Quarex posted:

I was so sure this was going to be Us3 even though it was a few years too early, but I went back and listened to a few of their songs and I was like "O.K. there actually is no scratching so clearly this is wrong" and now I also want to know what this is

No they were from like New Jersey or maybe New York or something? They weren't obscure or anything. They weren't huge but they were big enough that people in Australia bought their CD. So sorry, when I said Italian I meant Italian-American.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
No it was none of those. I've read over a list of every hip-hop release that came out between 1995 to 2005 and nothing stuck out. Except Dr Octagon but I might just have been remembering Dr Octagon for the first time in years. Maybe they weren't white or maybe just the guy doing to scratching was. The album art was predominantly blue, maybe?

I'm pretty sure it wasn't The Beak Junkies but it's had a very similar sound to this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcibKnRYMis

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
None of this is it. Thanks for trying though. It's just gone from my memory. My brain won't pull up the details. All I can say is very strong New York feel to it. Possibly white guy/s. If the album or the guy/s were known it would have been for the scratching and samples not the vocals. Dr Octagon may have been involved? The album art was blue and possibly a painted cityscape.

Thanks for trying. I'm sure one day I'll be falling asleep and it'll just come to me.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

The only Italian American rap group I can think of were Lordz of Brooklyn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qY1T14Faz90

Edit: the "lots of horns thing and cityscapes on the album" thing could possibly be Fun Lovin Criminals

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cuBNhmL0l0

Nope! Honestly I have no idea. Them being white or Italian or from NY are just vague impressions I've got in my memory. The "lots of horns" thing might just be one particular song. The scratching was the main thing though.

It was definitely before 2004. I think it was fairly contemporary but it may have been from the mid-late 90s. It was definitely not from the 80s.

I've scoured lists of every hip-hop album released from 1995 to 2004 and it just doesn't stand out. Sounded a lot like the Pharcyde but not the Pharcyde.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
No but Funkdoobiest is getting closer to the sound. Think the Pharcyde "Drop".

The scratching is the stand out thing on the album. It very very prominent.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

You are 1,000% sure that they are white? If so that should make it a LOT easier for me.

I am not even 50% sure that they're white anymore. It's just the impression I have. I have got this vague image in my head of guys wearing those 1920s caps, but I dunno. It was 20 years ago and it probably listened to it 4 or 5 times.

I'm not even positive it was a group anymore. I'm mostly sure because I think they had different people come in and rap different verses but maybe not?

Funky See Funky Do fucked around with this message at 03:05 on May 9, 2021

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Jumpsuit posted:

Probably way off base but the mention of horns, scratching, different rappers on verses and being played in Australia makes me think of Cut Chemist Suite by Ozomatli

https://youtu.be/bjb9i5r9inc

That song definitely rings a bell but the rest of the album doesn't fit and the album art is wrong. If that was the only song of theirs I heard I'd say they're a strong contended but it's not them.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Maybe 10-15 years ago, there were some great supernatural/sci-fi short-form found-footage mockumentaries with supposedly archival footage from 1900-1980 narrated by a documentarian character presenting testimony from the people who recorded the original footage. I would love to see these again.

I remember there was one about a village in Siberia for Soviet soldiers with malfunctioning cyborg parts, like super-strong robot arms or infrared eyes etc, but they were 70s-level Soviet technology, so they were all junky and ran on diesel fuel. There was another about people in the 60s who emerged from the ocean and infiltrated US society, and maybe the most haunting one was about a German guy who was kidnapped and replaced by a man who could rearrange his face to look like an exact duplicate of someone else.

The production values were incredible, and the recreation of different eras of film and audio technology gave it a really nice feel. One of the voiceover actors sounded exactly like Harlan Ellison. Does anyone else remember these?

Are you perhaps thinking of "Lost Tapes"? Were most of the episodes about werewolves and vampires and bigfoot?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4KwB3IATtk

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

I gotta be able to figure this out. I have the most obscure hip hop collection on the planet. If it was released between 1989 and 2000, I have it.

Can you remember anything about the song at all? A vague lyric? The chorus?

I know you said it wasn't them but from my memory the only rappers I've ever seen that wore those old 1920s Italian grandpa hats were the Lordz of Brooklyn. Their entire gimmick was being the Italian version of House of Pain.

Don't worry, I will figure this out for you.

Honestly I don't know that anything I'm associating with this album is correct. Maybe I get the Italian thing because they called themselves the XY Mafia (it's not the Three 6 Mafia) or they had a DJ Mario or who the gently caress knows.

The X-Ecutioner's are the closest I've gotten so far to the sound. It's not them because I would immediately recognize the album as soon as I heard it but if you know their sound then that's about as prominent as the scratching is. The turntablist would have been the most famous or well respected member of the group (if indeed it was a group).

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

The prominence of the turntablist really narrows it down. I was a turntablism nerd for years and not many of them got to shine on actual rap albums or songs, just their own niche instrumental albums like Invisibl Skratch Picklz' 8 million releases as above. The exception would be the occasional crew that would do a DJ showcase/hype song like 3rd Bass had on each album: "DJ Daddy Rich in the Land of 1210" etc. Or you know Fresh Prince "My DJ" and stuff.

Dilated Peoples was pretty scratch heavy production due to having DJ Babu of the World Famous Beat Junkies. People Under The Stairs did at least one Dj Double K (RIP) showcase track called The Double K Show. Rob Swift from the X-Ecutioners/X-Men did a solo album that might've had some rapping on it? Anything ringing a bell?

Early 2000s you've got DJ Format and Abdominal who did a lot of unique tracks where Abs would rap one line of a couplet and Format would scratch a vocal sample to finish the rhyme - Rap Machine is one of those but they did others. I'm on my phone too lazy to link youtubes for all these but might return and do so later just cause it's fun music anyway.

All of this stuff is super close. As near as I can tell it's not any of these because either the release dates don't match (it had to have come out prior to 2002 at the very latest) or the album art doesn't match. I would know it for sure within the first 10 seconds of the intro. Literally any of the names you mentioned could have been it but none of their listed albums are it.
Whatever it was it was popular enough that a middle class white kid in Australia that wasn't into hip hop would have a copy of it.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

Honestly without your other details that sounds like Jurassic 5. They were big enough to make it to Aus. But album cover and the fact you could think of them as maybe italian/white don't match.

And you promise you're not talking about "To the 5 Boroughs" right?! Just based on cover and white rappers...

Definitely not the Beastie Boys. I dunno. At this point I don't know how to describe it anymore. All these groups being listed are like spot on for the sound but they're just not it. Maybe despite it the album being full of scratching, rapping, and samples it's technically acid jazz or some other obscure sub-genre and it's being listed everywhere as that which is why it's not showing up.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Bloodhound Gang? Their 1995 album cover has a lot of blue on it and it was pretty much their only hip-hop album (the later ones were all rock or techno focused).

Edit: this song has a lot of scratching

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJMtc46sC2k

Definitely not that. It's scratch heavy alternative hip-hop with lots of sampling and various people rapping. I'm probably just badly misremember some key aspect. Maybe I have the album art mixed up with some else. I would immediately recognize it if I heard it right from the start. I've listened to a good 50 albums now and the start of hundreds of songs and I've found some great music but not what I'm looking for. I think we'll just have to call this one an unsolved mystery.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
A movie or TV show where a man kills someone by digging a ramp off a road on a corner and then somehow the victims car drives into it and then he buries the car.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

I have absolutely no memory of watching that. I watched the scene where it happens and that doesn't ring any bells either but it's hard to imagine there's going to be two shows where that happens, so it must be.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Yes! It was in this book that I had as a kid.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
This one is dumb as hell. A rock song from, I dunno, late 80s to early 2000s? It might be have been a joke song or at least not serious. It has the lyrics "Look out!" possibly before a guitar solo? I thought it might have been Rocking the Suburbs just before the bit at the end but it's not.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

Not Peaches, by the Presidents of the United States of America?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvAnQqVJ3XQ

"Look out!" at 2:08

Oh my god yes.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Milo and POTUS posted:

Some expression that means it has its upsides and downsides.

That's it.

Snakes and ladders?

Pros and cons?

Hills and valleys?

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
A live action British children's show from the early 90s about moving stones and time travel (?) that had something to do with King Arthur. I only suspect it has something to do with King Arthur because besides the moving stones (like standing stones) is because for some reason a kid from the show saying "King Arthur!" with a weird inflection got burned into my brain.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Gasmask posted:

Earthfasts! It’s on YouTube. I rewatched it recently. Very creepy and haunting compared to modern kids tv.

The author of the original book turned out to be a nonce though. Sorry.

https://youtu.be/dnoBa71tGPY

This was it! Turned out that weird inflection was just a Yorkshire accent.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I've got this scene in my head that is so specific that I can't have just made it up but I can't place it. I think it's some deep childhood memory of a movie I saw.

It's a kids movie and the kids are trapped by some mobsters and one of the kids is like "I feel sorry for you Don Tony because you don't have any friends".

Then the mobster boss says "I gotta lotsa friends" and he looks around to all his men then say things like "Nah not me boss" "I ain't your friend Don Tony." "We're more like associates".

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

~Coxy posted:

I swear I've seen this too. It's not a bit from The Simpsons is it?

I think the "more like associate's" line is from The Simpsons but the rest is from something else. I thought it might have been a Sesame Street movie and it was Big Bird saying it but the only movie he's in that fits the time line is Follow That Bird and none of the synopsis mention any gangsters.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Yes! That's it! Thank you. It's nothing like I remember it. I guess my brain added bits and pieces to it over the years.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Arbite posted:

Thanks for the try but it was definitely just one year he went back.

Was it definitely in the 1990s because

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OIFdWk83no

Seems to fit the bill.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
A 1980s (maybe very early 90s but almost certainly 80s) TV show that was a colonial family in North America called the "The Sullivans" or something along those lines. It was shown on the ABC in Australia.

E: It was the Campbells!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxSSX_iMUEU

Funky See Funky Do fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Nov 14, 2021

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Pastel Candy Snake posted:

Trying to remember the name of this ghoulishly awful Christian/Afghanistan War propaganda movie. There was a scene where people were in an auditorium watching a playback of a solider overseas wishing them a Merry Christmas or something and then he just gets blown the gently caress up mid-sentence. It's escaping me and those descriptors aren't turning anything up when searching for it.

Have you checked Kirk Cameron's IMDB page? Which I just did because I thought he was in a bunch of Christian movies, but nope. His career as an actor has been pretty much dead for 20 years.

Is it Indivisible?

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
There's no freedom here in Afghanistan. They can't even celebrate Christmas or they'll be killed.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Outrail posted:

This is extremely stupid but a cartoon has been stuck in my head for about 25 years and I've love to know what it is so I can get it out of my mind.

It aired in Australia in the late 80s/early 90s but it must have been an American show. All I remember is it was a scifi type series about a small group of people who did... stuff, maybe explored planets? But they flew around and used a big yellow space ship that was kind of shaped like a bug or a turtle. For some reason my brain thinks the theme song sounded like a religious hymn or something. Maybe it was bankrolled by some evangelicals?

That's literally all I can remember. Any ideas?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGOMnE26jNo

Or

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ev1aBt-_Zs4

?

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Outrail posted:

JFC this forum I swear to god. Five minutes.

Thank you, I think its the first one. But seriously did you google that or did you somehow remember that?

I was in your position a few years ago. I don't remember how I found it. I think I was scanning lists of cartoons from the 80s in the hopes that something would stand out and there it was.

I think it ran once sometime in like 1986-88 and seeped deep into my subconscious. All I could remember about it was the sun beneath the earth and that the guy had a thing on his wrist and he'd say "Jackai!" or something and it would shoot out a grappling hook. Oh and this one line from a song about a person who refused to become king that was stuck in my head forever.

As for why it wormed its way into so many memories. Look at it! That and the Ulysses 31opening credit are likely to be the most mindfuckingly incredible poo poo a 4-5yo in the 80s has ever seen.

Funky See Funky Do fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Dec 6, 2021

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

huh posted:

Esteban is what my siblings and I would call Mysterious Cities of Gold. It was on ABC in Australia, right?

And Ulysses! I think that was on mid-morning or so. With Belle and Sebastian.

I don't know which channel it was on. Probably the ABC because I don't think my parents let me watch commercial television until I was about 8 (1989). They literally took the dial off the TV. Although, I watched things like G-Force, Transformers, Dinoriders, and Voltron. I don't think they would have been on the ABC, would they?

They might have even been on The Afternoon Show with James Valentine. No, wait Monkey and Dr Who were on The Afternoon Show. Maybe they didn't do cartoons.

E: Cities of Gold and Spartakus and the Sun Beneath the Sea were both on the Afternoon Show.

E: They may have let me watch early morning cartoons. Commercial networks in Australia may not have been able to show ads to during children's shows until a bit after those shows had finish airing. They were definitely showing ads in 1989, but possibly not before then.

Funky See Funky Do fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Dec 6, 2021

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSWKw15rCoI

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Then it's Superfly or it wasn't 4 Non Blondes.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Faye Kane

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I'm pretty sure the whole thing was someone's hosed up erotic bsdm fiction. Hence the pseudonym Faye Kane - faking.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
That appears to be a photograph you've taken of the screen. Is this some kind of wind up?

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
An Asian language pop song from the early 2000s. 2003-2005ish. It had a bit in it that I think was the chorus and went something along the lines of "meow-meow-meow mickey-meow-meow-meow meow-meow meow-meow". I say something along the lines of but it's been stuck in my head for 20 years now and I'm pretty sure that's exactly how it sounded.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

~Coxy posted:

Were you ever into Nintendo DS / Ouendan?

That sounds a bit like Morning Musume – "Koi no Dance Site" (恋のダンスサイト, Koi no Dansu Saito) which would be a plausible earworm for someone not otherwise into J-pop.

No that's not it. The meow meow meow bits - I'm 99% sure they were literally saying meow meow meow. I also suspect it was in Cantonese from context. It may have been Korean, but I'd put my money on Cantonese.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Milo and POTUS posted:

TV show or movie I watched recently that mentioned the kenning for the ocean "whale road". Can't recall if it was spoken aloud or what. It was NOT the Northman, I am positive of that

Beowulf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
A PC math and/or spelling game from the early 90s with a wizard in it.