Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

el fikus posted:

YES THANK YOU THIS IS IT HOLY poo poo AND IT'S JUST AS AMAZING AS I REMEMBER

Hey I remember that! I still have it. I also have ZZA and Futhman versions of Insane in the Brain, Just a Friend, Regulators, and Shame on a Nigga if you're interested. They still pop into my head when I hear the originals sometimes. As I recall ZZA was aka ZoomZip and did the instrumentals?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
this sounds like a false memory/dream I had/fetish thing but I swear to christ I remember seeing this and want to prove it to myself. I think I saw it linked from SA.
does anybody remember a music video floating around a good few years back:
I.
- on vimeo because it was too "hot" for youtube
- two swedish white girls
- rap song??? had some singing. can't remember but I think they rapped too, it was in english
- seemed to have a budget
II.
- was about taking a poo poo and then rolling the poo poo into a joint and then smoking it, fully literal with no metaphor or poetic language - a line of the lyrics end-rhymed with the word "feces"
- did not appear to be a joke in any meaningful way, though thinking back this really puzzles me
- the singers appeared at least topless if not naked in the video, which was almost unwatchably gross/literal (making out while liquid poo poo/nesquik poured on them etc.)

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

axolotl farmer posted:

Ganja Poo Poo by the Cupid Kidz

I am so sorry

:nws::metis::sonia::sweden:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsxarkI-3XQ

my god. I'm not sure this is a deed that warrants thanks... well, thank you for proving my memory wasn't wrong I guess.
this is as unwatchable as I remember, I must've generated that bullet point list from about 7.5 seconds of viewing and one or two horrified clicks ahead because there's no way I sat through it all
I'm a fan of ingmar bergman and such, but maybe sweden was a mistake after all

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Funky See Funky Do posted:

None of this is it. Thanks for trying though. It's just gone from my memory. My brain won't pull up the details. All I can say is very strong New York feel to it. Possibly white guy/s. If the album or the guy/s were known it would have been for the scratching and samples not the vocals. Dr Octagon may have been involved? The album art was blue and possibly a painted cityscape.

Thanks for trying. I'm sure one day I'll be falling asleep and it'll just come to me.
a)
https://www.discogs.com/Blockhead-Downtown-Science/master/47586
album art fits, blockhead is sort of instrumental hip hop, but it's from 2005, not new yorky and not much vocals. what you describe sounds more like 3rd bass above, who had two albums (no cityscapes), 2 extremely brooklyn-sounding white MCs and a very good scratch DJ but were only active '88-'93

b)
album art on this from 2003 fits, and it has a lot of RJD2 sample production and scratching, although I wouldn't call Diverse very NY-sounding vocally
https://www.discogs.com/Diverse-One-AM/release/205020

Deep Glove Bruno fucked around with this message at 17:53 on May 6, 2021

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
count me as another vote for "Pete Nice is great, i prefer his verses to Serch's in 3rd Bass's discography and his album with Daddy Rich is good too, better not only than Return of the Product but better than some 3rd Bass songs and i'm kinda more impressed with Pete for putting Kurious Jorge on than with Serch for putting Nas on" if that's what you were implying

Daddy Rich is a great scratch DJ and is on that album a lot and it came out in 1993 which explains if you didn't see it in your searching by the way

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Honestly I don't know that anything I'm associating with this album is correct. Maybe I get the Italian thing because they called themselves the XY Mafia (it's not the Three 6 Mafia) or they had a DJ Mario or who the gently caress knows.

The X-Ecutioner's are the closest I've gotten so far to the sound. It's not them because I would immediately recognize the album as soon as I heard it but if you know their sound then that's about as prominent as the scratching is. The turntablist would have been the most famous or well respected member of the group (if indeed it was a group).

The prominence of the turntablist really narrows it down. I was a turntablism nerd for years and not many of them got to shine on actual rap albums or songs, just their own niche instrumental albums like Invisibl Skratch Picklz' 8 million releases as above. The exception would be the occasional crew that would do a DJ showcase/hype song like 3rd Bass had on each album: "DJ Daddy Rich in the Land of 1210" etc. Or you know Fresh Prince "My DJ" and stuff.

Dilated Peoples was pretty scratch heavy production due to having DJ Babu of the World Famous Beat Junkies. People Under The Stairs did at least one Dj Double K (RIP) showcase track called The Double K Show. Rob Swift from the X-Ecutioners/X-Men did a solo album that might've had some rapping on it? Anything ringing a bell?

Early 2000s you've got DJ Format and Abdominal who did a lot of unique tracks where Abs would rap one line of a couplet and Format would scratch a vocal sample to finish the rhyme - Rap Machine is one of those but they did others. I'm on my phone too lazy to link youtubes for all these but might return and do so later just cause it's fun music anyway.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

All of this stuff is super close. As near as I can tell it's not any of these because either the release dates don't match (it had to have come out prior to 2002 at the very latest) or the album art doesn't match. I would know it for sure within the first 10 seconds of the intro. Literally any of the names you mentioned could have been it but none of their listed albums are it.
Whatever it was it was popular enough that a middle class white kid in Australia that wasn't into hip hop would have a copy of it.

Honestly without your other details that sounds like Jurassic 5. They were big enough to make it to Aus. But album cover and the fact you could think of them as maybe italian/white don't match.

And you promise you're not talking about "To the 5 Boroughs" right?! Just based on cover and white rappers...

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Chicken posted:

I don't know the Australian music industry at all but is there a chance the group is from Australia (or New Zealand or even the UK/commonwealth maybe)? There's examples in Canada of hip hop groups that would not be well known outside of the country but pretty popular here (some of Swollen Members early work could maybe actually fit your criteria except they were a little later and the album art doesn't quite work). That would explain both how you got your hands on it and why people who know a whole lot about hip hop don't know the group.

The thing is as I understand Aussie hip hop (that is as an outsider) is you will never mistake it for non Aussie hip hop due to accents. Maybe there are groups I've never heard that put on verbal America-face though.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Time_pants posted:

I'm looking for a YouTube video from like 10 years ago about speed-cooking. The dude completely destroys his kitchen on purpose doing poo poo like throwing a carton of milk like a hand grenade, slamming all the cooking utensils around as hard as he can, and tries to cut water with a knife. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

too lazy to find the link, it's from a NZ show called moon tv, sketch called speed cooking, guy called leigh hart. predates swedish youtubers but you can find it on youtube. there are several "episodes" of it including one with a nz-famous chef. also check out the "bookzone" sketches from moontv. they're funny.

it's a milk carton he cuts in half with a knife, not water.

e: i wanted to watch it again so i found the first one
https://youtu.be/pah2yk3Jx50

Deep Glove Bruno fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Dec 28, 2021

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Time_pants posted:

You are--and I want to put this in the most precise, accurate terms possible--the greatest person to ever walk the Earth. Thank you!!

speed cooking made me cackle till i was out of breath when i saw it and i thank you for reminding me about it.

weirdly i worked with some guys who were on that, before i knew what moon tv was. I mean it's NZ, it's a tiny place, so that's not that weird, but yeah. never met leigh hart but did shows for others involved.

they also did something called "late night big breakfast" that was like... a morning studio show parody that was filmed (if i remember correctly) after hours in a furniture showroom? i can't remember the details but moon tv was cool and so was that. better than anything i did with those dudes anyway.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

That video seemed oddly familiar to me and I realized I've seen Leigh Hart abuse a blender recently--skip to 13:20 https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x824d08

I haven't watched NZ TV since i moved away years ago, it's funny how basically the same fuckers from like 2009 are still NZ's main/only funny people, but also, the show isn't bad! It kinda makes me wish I'd bugged out back there for covid like some of my friends. Maybe NZ comedy isn't as dire as when I left to work on UK comedy...?

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

18charactersallowe posted:

I think NZ taskmaster has been better than recent GB seasons (Leigh is in season 1).

It's funny because i don't really regard most of those comics as super funny but it does add up to a funny show, at least the dailymotion one linked upthread. Like madeline sami to me is mildly amusing (except her now outdated but great helen clark impression... "bend me over and spank me") but yeah unlike UK taskmaster it feels like they're still trying.

I briefly worked on NZ would i lie to you in a non editorial capacity and remembered thinking NZ would never do a good version of an imported UK panel show. 7 Days excepted as it was a knockoff rather than an imported format.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Goodpancakes posted:

Long shot here but some mug posting had me remember this. I visited Solvang California a few years back, and in one of their fancy art galleries they had a mug collection of medium to very large mugs that had what could be considered Viking, or sort of fantasy dwarf faces, on the side. Large protruding and expertly carved/made and nicely colored/glazed. I wrote down the name on the pieces but it turns out it's just the name of the gallery (stix and stones). The place was very adamant about not photographing what they had on display. If this sounds like a potter you know I'd love to get my hands on one of these.

poster Uriah Heep just posted one like this in the post your favorite coffee mug thread here in GBS, maybe ask them?

edit: this is what they posted

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
3rd word is too long for york, too. five or more letters i think

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

SnipeShow posted:

So I've more or less given up on this as I have so little information to go off of.

A movie or possibly TV show I saw at some random family friend's house in the mid 90s. The only scene I recall was a kid looking into a glass pane, I think at a bakery (possibly looking into the bakery from outside, or the glass display inside the bakery). He reacts to what I can only describe as a claymation mushroom trip where the food forms happy faces while looking delicious. Obviously I'd like to rewatch it on mushrooms.

doesn't like fast times at ridgemont high have a claymation burger song? or some other 80s teen comedy like better off dead or something?

on reflection surely it's better off dead and not fast times

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

axolotl farmer posted:

for a while this was kind of a meme in YOSPOS. a series of youtube videos made in 3DSMax or something like that with human figures in T-poses and animals with bad textures and lighting. the soundtrack was computer generated opera singing and there was also a connection to some kind of kink subculture, like World of Gor or furries.

they had a really trippy outsider art vibe to them. anyone remeber this?

vaguely remember this, i think it was the same person who did the computer voice singing "hello hello i am a cat" to a 3ds max cat weirdly animating, which i could still sing the tune i remember so well. believe it was a woman creator... "CG Wendy"?

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

that is the song, and the animation style, but approximately 10,000 times more elaborate than what i saw those ages ago. it was one of those (realistic type) cats walking around or doing some basic animation, on an untextured background, for like 8 seconds while a single creepy robot voice, not a chorus of dozens, sang the song.

anyway i don't know if that's what the poster is after but damned if it isn't equally as weird

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Sydney Bottocks posted:

So this is a bit of an oddball one: back in the early 1990s, I was in the service and stationed in the UK. A buddy and I were both big music buffs and we still had record players (this was back when vinyl LPs and singles had long fallen out of fashion and well before the "boutique" vinyl industry had even begun to sprout up), so on occasion we'd stop in to a store that sold used records in the British town not far from where our base was. Usually we'd go there looking for a specific thing (they had everything from classic funk to the neckbeardiest prog to the hardest crustpunk/grindcore you could think of), but sometimes if a record was cheap enough, we'd grab it purely for novelty value if it looked like it'd be worth a few chuckles.

My friend was big into funk, R&B, and hip-hop/rap, and one day he came across a record for like £1 that he grabbed purely because he couldn't stop laughing at it. As I recall, the cover featured an elderly black man in the standard hip-hop gear of the 1980s: Adidas shoes and tracksuit and a Kangol hat, with his arms folded and striking a typical "rap" pose against a red background (the back cover had him in the same outfit, but striking a radically different pose, with one thumb in his mouth and one apparently in his rear end). The liner notes claimed he was the first ever rapper, way back in the 1950s or 1960s, and apparently he'd decided to cut a whole new set of tracks. Imagine if you took like the subjects of an old Redd Foxx standup routine, and made it a rap song. Just the filthiest, crudest poo poo that'd make Dolemite blush. I don't remember his name, or the name of the album, but I do remember one of the tracks was called "Baby Fat", which I'm sure is as crude as I remember it being.

I'm interested in finding it, even on YouTube or whatever, purely for comedy value. I remember my friend took it home, played it, and came back by my place the next day asking if I could hold on to it for him because, and I quote, "I can't have this in my house with my kids". I forget if he ever got it back or if it just got lost when I ended up moving back to the US about a year later. But I remember that particular thing every so often, not for the quality of the music, but for how we'd occasionally drink a couple of beers and laugh our asses off listening to it.

Gotta be Blowfly (Clarence Reid)

edit: don't see obvious candidates on discogs actually but you should check out blowfly if you like that stuff anyway

Deep Glove Bruno fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jun 13, 2022

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Yeah, I mainly remember it being the name of one of the tracks on the album because of how ridiculously offensive the songs were, for some reason that title just stuck in my mind.

you should ask at a record nerd forum. they can be pretty quiet but there are still insanely knowledgeable people lurking at some. Soulstrut and Waxidermy?

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

JamesieAB posted:

Thanks, I did a similar thing with a different list a few years back, but now I have better broadband I will download these 80's movies. Even if I don't find my scenes I will have some fun movies to watch.

Can anyone thinlk of any non Jackie Chan movies from this era?

Try looking at the starring vehicles for the extended Chaniverse around that time - Sammo Hung, Yuen Biao joints that Chan might've been involved in in a business sense.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

a friendly penguin posted:

Yes! and Yes! After I wrote this I wondered if there wasn't another storyteller because the Dragon story was definitely in a male voice. But for some reason I remember more of the folktellers. Looking at your links I also remember more of the tracks that are listed for the Folktellers being on the tapes. I thought I remembered the song Apples and Bananas being on there but didn't include it since I know it's been done by everyone and it wouldn't really help in the search process. Found youtube videos of all these storytellers and those voices all match up with my memory. "It's yellow! It's yellow!"

But still can't find the exact collection I had which I guess isn't that surprising since it was definitely just cassettes. But no mention of a collection with both of them on it. And I'm wondering if there weren't others too since I haven't seen anything that looks like the mud figure story in their lists of stories. And I seem to recall there being four tapes in the collection. So each tape might have been a different storyteller.

The search continues. A million thanks for getting me even closer.

if it was a commercial release, you know about discogs right? you can peruse their releases there and filter by cassette format etc

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

evobatman posted:

I tried in Cinema Discusso with no luck, maybe some Swedish GBS goons can help me figure out what movie this is.

It's a comedy about someone trying to make a movie for a film festival like Cannes. Through lies and cheats, they get a famous actor and tries to get him to have sex with a moose. Someone gets stabbed in the leg with a fork. Everyone masturbates while having fantasies about each other or the movie succeeding. In the end they win the award.

Cries and Whispers

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

GotDonuts posted:

My wife and I have being trying to find this song that we both vaguely remember from the 90s. It has a guy kinda chanting and we think a bird in the background. Cannot remember anything else about it.

new agey 90s track with a guy kind of chanting, kind of, could be Karl Stephenson/Forest for the Trees - Dream?

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

yaffle posted:

Like this? http://www.solegends.com/citcat1989/cat1989p000-02.htm
I have a print catalogue from around that time.

I'm looking for the name of a very high end piece of image manipulation software that pre-dates photoshop - as I recall it was a hardware/software bundle - a custom built computer that only ran this software.

you thinking of silicon graphics aka SGI?

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Some of you may remember about a year ago or something I was trying to find the name of this hip-hop album I had around the early 2000s that I could remember nothing but the vaguest poo poo about.

Well I just jolted up in bed when out of nowhere some lyrics from one of the songs popped into my head. I tried googling it but it doesn't throw up anything.

It goes sort of like "something something something I am Aziz (the s e n s e) (the s e n s e)"

I'm not sure the Aziz part. It might be Ali or not even a name but that's what it sounds like it my head.

E: THE WISEGUYS The Antidote.

No wonder nobody could find them. They're not east coast at all. They're British!

Those lyrics I misremembered were from "Who the hell are you?" and they went:

[Chorus]
Who the hell are you?
I am ID
Da S E N S E da S E N S E
(repeat x3)
Who the hell are you, who the hell are you
I am ID
Da S E N S E

God damnit this is a huge L for the thread not getting this. Yes you had country of origin wrong but you had a lot of stuff right, hell you even mentioned the guy's flat cap. I should've got this. That was a hit album.

I guess the thing is Touché was sort of not marketed as hip hop - his hits ooh la la and start the commotion weren't rap tracks but more DJ Shadow/Avalanches/Fatboy Slim type cut n paste sample joints. The album did have rap features across it though. drat.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Milo and POTUS posted:

It think it was in a pretty wooded lot which is what I think made it really stand out. Maybe not pure midcentury modern but that weird place where it intersected with organic architecture. Nice place

The Eames and Entenza houses on this list here? Two houses, one for the architect, wooded, 1949 early MCM

you can see the old mag articles about them on the page

http://artsandarchitecture.com/case.houses/houses.html

Deep Glove Bruno fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jan 20, 2023

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Milo and POTUS posted:

Link seems broken

maybe fixed? i am dumb

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
Yes but what of all the "influencers" who want to tell you third hand information about other "influencers"? Youtube has to show you all their recycled tiktok content first. What, you think they can just promote themselves? Oh, it's their job is it? So I guess you just want a single loving thing to do with the internet to not suck loving rear end, do you?

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Arivia posted:

no problem, it was five minutes of "i wonder if" loving around on google searches.

if you're not aware, there's an ironic undertone to that comic: krupa and rich did two albums together.

anybody else ever watch the ed shaughnessy/buddy rich battle on youtube and go "ehhh i think shaughnessy's kinda better"?

i hate buddy rich's soloing, it just doesn't have much musicality to me. he just sounds like the chops master showing you how fast he can one hand roll

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
he's a great character (if you're not in his band -- that beard convo in the comic is verbatim off a tape recorded meltdown at a bandmate) and i'm glad he existed but for a long time people just said he was the greatest drummer ever cause of his drat one handed roll chop wanks. that bugs me because the best drummer ever is pretty purdie who played solos/music you'd actually feel like tapping your toe or dancing to.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
can't help you but i've got another 500 words in me making GBS threads on buddy rich if you're interested

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

hexwren posted:

the complete broadcast video of jacob miller and inner circle live in paris, '79

there's pieces on youtube, but I've never found the whole thing

dreadlock can't bootleg him show in peace
too much informer, too much fear
too much susu susu susu too much watchy watchy you

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Hammu-rob-i posted:

CA ~2004-2006 There was a youtube video titled "Buttholes" of two HS kids who made a silly home video playing these exaggerated characters. One was always laying "traps" for the other one and when one of them was caught by an invisible trap, he'd just wig out on the floor screeching. One of them was named Will "Will is always laying traps for me" says the victim

Slowed-down Cotton Eyed Joe in the soundtrack right? bouts of 60+ seconds of solid cackling and leaping from one foot to the other? I think it might've been "rear end HOLES" not "BUTT HOLES". Feel free to search that on youtube until you find it or die of old age.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

beep by grandpa posted:

Anyone got the full original dirty cowboy vid the SA recreation was based on? Original is taken down from YouTube, I found just the dance in a 59 second clip on tiktok but I'm looking for the original one Abraham posted with the short intro about rock n roll and the cut off ending at some mall food court, should be about 1min40s.

(I was listening to a dj play something last night and part of some electronica she played sounded just like the dance song, which took me 15min to remember, and now I wanna see the full original again)

its from that really long running channel ... maybe "everything is terrible"? like transfers of weird old vhs stuff. the dirty cowboy clip, with its weird fade to the mall food court, was part of a longer compilation they did.

also if you just want some soundalike stuff it's just "italo disco"

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

SRQ posted:

7.6.1, which is the whole reason I want one of these. Fastest OS7 supporting system.

i assume this whole mission is to be able to play dirt bike 3.1

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
If they had a release (even a CD-R, if it was distributed to anyone nerdy enough to enter the info) it could be on discogs?

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
Maybe I'm not the kind of person to be excited by tattoo ideas anyway, but for what it's worth I would think on getting a tattoo of a living person who might yet turn out to be some kind of awful creep

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
a tiktok featuring a kiwi sheep shearer with an insane person reverse mullet or similar haircut rapping the following to ice cube "today was a good day" instrumental, in an empty shearing shed

"i'm the illest rapper in the system
i been savin up for months tryna buy a circum...cision
things ain't always what it seems
i been fuckin up my life like i was charlie sheen"

he just kinda had some cube-like flow despite being a chirpy kiwi accented insane hair guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
Hell yeah thank you. No idea of the nature of any of his other videos but at least i got those barz