Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
This seems like it will be impossible but more obscure things have come up so why not!
In 1999 my family went on holiday to London and one of the places we went to see was called something like "Museum of the Moving Image". I could be remembering incorrectly but I think it was run by or associated with BAFTA?
As far as I can tell the museum has closed down now.

I remember the exhibits showed lots of famous/culty/artsy shorts like Dali and Warhol. Anyway, one of them was a modern one, might have been crappy 90s compositing, don't think it was CGI per se. A woman woke up and walked around her house and for some reason she could change the furnishings by molding reality to her will? I don't recall what the punchline or conclusion was if any.

It must have been playing on a loop because I the day made a very strong impression on me, but obviously unlike the Warhol shorts I can never find the interior decorating one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

500 good dogs posted:

There's a game that I swear I played like 20-25 years ago, would've been on a PC, that I think was like a sidescroller set in ancient Egypt? It wasn't particularly good but it had a certain aesthetic that I haven't gotten out of my brain since. It might have been more of a kids game, and the graphics were more cartoonish than cool, but I've never been able to find it. I remember AE having some significance but that might just be from thinking it's in ancient Egypt. I've searched a bunch for this over the years so I'll be sad if you Google it and find it right away.

This is a stretch, but Museum Madness?

edit: gently caress; wrong AND beaten

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Sep 19, 2019

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

FactsAreUseless posted:

Yes! Lmao. I loving love goons.

e: It was a really early version, too, this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMi0QoLB4gM

God drat, this video is a trip for me. Sadly it's just a demo, apparently the full version is real hard to find. Almost every other screenshot etc. is from a later edition.

This is probably some crappy sequel/remake but I did find this:
https://www.macintoshrepository.org/19713-the-crystal-rain-forest-2000

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Sign up to a free trial of  Music and use it to iTunes Match the crappy MP3 into a high quality AAC master.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

. . . why did i think any of this was good?

Could be worse, you could have been a Sluggy or QC fan.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

RC and Moon Pie posted:

My folks were gifted a copy of a cassette of a 1980s comedian. He was a Crank Yankers type of guy that'd call up random businesses to rile them up.

The bits all flow together now, but one dealt with him calling up a business that supposedly sold him a pair of boots. He described what was wrong with the boots and wanted them replaced.

Another bit saw the guy on the other end not be docile and threatened to kick the caller's rear end. The part I remember is that the caller threatened to bring his brother along to this fight. The shop owner/worker replied, asking if he needed his brother to hold his hand.

Who was this?

Longmont Potion Castle?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Milo and POTUS posted:

I know exactly what it is but if anyone here ever played RA2 online and type daftduck while you were in channel, it would mute you, in the same manner you'd be if you were being offensive or something and a) nobody on the internet seems to mention this b) I want to know what and why

It's probably something boring like whatever regex they wrote to try to be clever and capture not just dictionary words detects it as being modified gently caress.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

cda posted:

I'm looking for a science fiction short story. The premise is that because of overpopulation or something, people only live on alternate days and they get put in stasis on the other days, so for example one person would live Monday Wednesday and Friday, and the other one would live Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday, and then maybe every other Sunday or something like that. My memory is hazy and Google hasn't helped.

I can't help but In think it's the sf Stack Exchange where identify-the-story questions are allowed and the people who hang around have encyclopaedic knowledge of golden age pulp.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Literally A Person posted:

I am trying to find an old typing game. I don't really remember much but you would go around and fight stuff in a medieval/fantasy setting. I would have been playing this on an old mac in the very early 90's. I know it's not but for some reason I though the name might be Dvorak Teaches Typing. Anyone remember this???

Pretty close!
https://www.macintoshrepository.org/2563-dvorak-on-typing

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Plus; no "obvious fake" fail videos please.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Arbite posted:

In the Gamecube Mario Strikers I am sure Waluigi had an animation where he did the RVD points to self along with the DX crotch chops but I can't find it in any video.

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/GratefulDirectBighornsheep-mobile.mp4

Like this, but maybe with his back turned.

(more here: https://www.neogaf.com/threads/i-miss-super-mario-strikers-and-its-personality-waluigi-gif-alert.1411902/ )

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Camo Guitar posted:

Very old black and white game (I'm guessing on an Apple Macintosh) set on various battlegrounds where all the soldiers are little stick like figures. When they fight (you drag one onto another) they flash frantically. There were also chests with powerups you could move soldiers to open.

Played it once, never saw it again. Late 80s maybe? Anyone?

Try here also: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3936080&pagenumber=2

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Milo and POTUS posted:

Song that goes "travelling down the road, hauling quite a load". I think i remember it being used in some TV or movie. I can find the lyrics online but not the show or movie

Sounds like Flirting With Disaster by Molly Hatchet.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

syntaxfunction posted:

I have a weird one.

Back when I was in grade five or so we had a teacher (maybe a substitute?) who read us a weird book. I remember it being an actual book.

It was about some kid who got kidnapped by future people in sheets or something who refused to talk and used sign language. They were all about the environment and held the kid captive. Over time he learned their language and ways of the future people.

Eventually he "escapes" and goes back to his time and shock horror the leader of the future people was him grown up.

Even as a kid I thought it was dumb and hamfisted. But no one knows what the gently caress I'm talking about and my googling has netted me nothing.

Really I just want to know if a weird teacher read us her lovely environmentalist fanfiction or if it was a legitimate book.

I remember this one too. He paddled a canoe up the river and somehow came into the future world.
They admonished him for having some kind of toxic wax/sealant on the canoe.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Oh my goodness, thank you.

E: here's the dog

Like if you clicked on the dog to read what he was saying only to be disappointed.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

I'm not quite sure this is it, but underground bunker and frozen lake sounds like Myst V.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f323o4Ou_WA

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

hexwren posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2704537&userid=132614 in which I ask the identify a book for me thread about a series of encyclopedia brown-style computer mysteries of the eighties.

I definitely remember this series. Pretty sure we had it in our community library.

I feel like it may have been UK because the main character had an Acorn Archimedes?

I remember one story about the main character and his friend printing out the source code to a video game they were making.
Another was the main character writing a computer program so he would get to dance with the love interest girl. His program got hacked by the rival girl.
Another was trying to challenge some university students to a game where they had to find a submarine in the Atlantic ocean. They used the university mainframe to brute force search, but the plucky Archimedes won by searching only the areas with favourable ocean currents. Pretty sure the rival girl had to help the main character for this one.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

hexwren posted:

Nope. Every case was based around technology, usually computers. The protagonist worked alone. His online handle was Blade Runner after the movie. The font on the cover was Westminster in outlined red and yellow like

I mean, it's possible, but I remember the language usage being very American, like, I wasn't sitting there baffled about European things like this other mystery book I read in the same time period (which, in order for me to solve one of the cases, required me to know poo poo about what shore of Lake Zurich Zurich was on. I was like nine, I'd never heard of Zurich before)

I think I found the one you're referring to: Chip Mitchell

https://www.goodreads.com/series/103699-chip-mitchell

There was apparently also Chip Mitchell: Case Of Chocolate Covered Bugs

Now I have to wonder if what I remember is actually the same series as you, just I have some of the details mixed up.

Edit: pretty sure it is, because there's alternate covers that are the ones I remember.
Plus I just remembered that the main character had tonnes of exotic pets which also matches the cover art.

Edit2: archive.org has it to borrow

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Aug 11, 2021

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

I just skimmed the 2 books on archive.org and it's the same as I remember. All the computer names are fake; the kid had a Hermes at home (not Archimedes.) The university computer is a "Honeyrock 7000" (presumably Honeywell/Rockwell portmanteau?)

You remember the one about the arcade machine high scores perfectly; the girl gang crowds around the machine while the rival girl is playing it so the boys can't see that they pulled the plug out of the machine.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Funky See Funky Do posted:

I've got this scene in my head that is so specific that I can't have just made it up but I can't place it. I think it's some deep childhood memory of a movie I saw.

It's a kids movie and the kids are trapped by some mobsters and one of the kids is like "I feel sorry for you Don Tony because you don't have any friends".

Then the mobster boss says "I gotta lotsa friends" and he looks around to all his men then say things like "Nah not me boss" "I ain't your friend Don Tony." "We're more like associates".

I swear I've seen this too. It's not a bit from The Simpsons is it?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Meets Truck posted:

When I was at an Australian primary school in the early to mid 90's I played a game on an old Mac about buying things from a supermarket, I think it might have been an educational game about the value of money or something. There was a sound that played on the title screen saying 'let's go shopping', and I distinctly remember clicking any food item and having it repeat the name back to me in a really nasally American accent - 'peanut butter' is the one that has stuck in my memory most. I've been trying to find this stupid thing for 15+ years

Consumer Power 2. Not kidding.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Lathespin.gif posted:

I've been trying to find this music video I saw like, 5-8 years ago or so? I think it was just called "thank you", and has some dude in a hot tub with two girls singing "thank you satan for x" where x is like, war, bad things happening to good people, disease, bad drivers, going bald, etc. I think one of the three had horns, and it starts off very preachy before the satan reveal, and I think ends in a sunset or something. Very tongue in cheek.

It turns out googling any variation of "thank you satan" to find this isn't very helpful at all!!

I swear that Jason Paige (the guy who did the original Pokemon theme) has a minor viral hit 5 years ago with something like this, but I can't find it on his channel.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

1136 potentials titles from archive.org

https://pastebin.com/mbWTt0P5

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Mar 22, 2022

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Canteen Medal posted:

Could be The new revolutionaries;: A handbook of the international radical left

https://www.amazon.com/new-revolutionaries-handbook-international-radical/dp/B0006DXE6S

Talk about burying the lede!

Good work.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Were you ever into Nintendo DS / Ouendan?

That sounds a bit like Morning Musume – "Koi no Dance Site" (恋のダンスサイト, Koi no Dansu Saito) which would be a plausible earworm for someone not otherwise into J-pop.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Futanari Damacy posted:

A working Xbox 360 that hasn't had its original Neon light synthesizer overwritten by the dumb default Microsoft visualizations.

If you can explain what this is then I'll check my various 360s.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Hornblower was basically never saucy though (sadly.)

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

If there's anything we've learned in this thread it's that youtube search sucks so much that if you search for, say, "PBS Stay Fresh" it won't surface a video that has all those words in its title.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

iMac G3, despite not being "old" and beige, is actually quite nice for retrocomputing.

It has ethernet, so you can easily connect it to modern networks and transfer files.
It has USB, so you can use a PC keyboard and an optical mouse on it instead of trying to find esoteric ADB junk with worn out rollers.
You can even put a thumb drive in it, although you will need HFS software on your PC and it will be slow as poo poo.
You can upgrade the main disk to a SSD without too much trouble.
And because it does run Mac OS 8 or 9*, it will run almost any post System 6 software perfectly.

*you can run OS X on them, but that mostly defeats the point of the exercise.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Battle Pigeon posted:

Clearing out an older relative's apartment, and found a box of hundreds of perfectly kept, untouched free CDs that came with various computer magazines from around... 97?? Lots and lots of ancient software, demos, little games, all sorts of random stuff. And some really specific Polish stuff, like TATRY GORY POLSKIE demo, etc. Wonder if these CDs are the only place a bunch of this stuff exists now?

It's a chore, but if you can be bothered it would be great to get more of this stuff uploaded to archive.org
As you say, these CDs are the only archive of huge amounts of ephemera.

(I actually got a nice comment from someone last week that my upload of some random install disk for a particular old computer was the only one he could get to work to resurrect his old Mac.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Battle Pigeon posted:

Do you know if it would be uploading the iso, or literally everything individually on the discs? There's waaaay too many and too much to do the latter, but the former might be doable, eventually. I don't think there's anyone or anywhere nearby that would be interested in taking them and doing it

Definitely just rip and upload the .iso for stuff like cover discs.