Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Taintrunner posted:

The Boys is fuckin' great and extremely C-SPAM. Homelander is just incredible as Psychotic Jingoistic Superman

im really impressed with the show. i've read the comic a BUNCH and i was kinda cautious about the show, because i was expecting a straight adaptation. they've done some really good stuff with updating the show for a different cultural and media landscape, and changing the plot so that existing fans dont know literally anything thats coming, without losing the core themes of the comic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Calibanibal posted:

fast and furious are a better and more authentic superhero franchise than Marvel

this but unironically, furious six is when those movies became the avengers but everyone's power is they're a god as long as they're near a car, and with an actually good cast

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Koishi Komeiji posted:

I keep hearing this show is good but it also sounds like it's trying to be edgelord as gently caress. Is it worth a watch if you loving hate superhero poo poo?

yes absolutely

its a show where the central conflict, the real core of the issue, is that Disney owns all the superheros and wnats to get defense contracts to use them, and the deep state is loving terrified of that

also superheros are rear end in a top hat celebrities who do awful poo poo and get away with it because it gets covered up

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
next season is probably going to have a fuckin epstein plane subplot

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Taintrunner posted:

THEY loving SOLD OUT

FAST AND THE FURIOUS DIED WITH PAUL WALKER MOTHERFUCKER DEAL WITH IT

justin lin is doing 9 though, praise be

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

net work error posted:

:hai:

This is correct. I will go on a harsher line and say that after the first three movies the series ceased to exist and you can't convince me otherwise.

Six is the second best one

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Calibanibal posted:

2 and 3 are by far the worst out of the 8 released

3 is perfect actually

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Who gives a poo poo about that though

https://twitter.com/VinegarSyndrome/status/1156248793899315201?s=19

I'm so loving excited, this movie is bonkers and terrible. It's by the director of Mac and Me, and stars young Denise Richards and Paul Walker

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
3 is incredible because Lin took the script for an 80s ski movie and replaced skis with cars

It's a movie about the new kid in town learning to beat the rich popular guy while hanging out with the misfits, and it ends with a winner gets the girl loser leaves town race down a mountain

Also, Sonny Chiba!

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Koishi Komeiji posted:

A big goon thank you to Taintrunner, BENGHAZI 2,and StashAugustine for recommending me The Boys. I don't normally watch tv but I saw the first episode and it was really good. I'm just surprised that such an anti-authoritarian show is being produced by Amazon of all people. :waycool:

I genuinely love the comic but it is mega divisive and way more puerile than the show

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

only a few eps in but the boys is some pretty openly anti-capitalist poo poo

In the comic vought is kinda generic weapons manufacturer who does comics because it's a good way to do propaganda

The shows "what if Disney had defense contracts" is so fuckin good

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Feranon posted:

anyone who likes stuff like The Boys should check read Supergod if they haven't already

it's an even bleaker take on the superhuman arms race idea

Isn't this that one Warren Ellis book

Don't tell people to read that

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Raskolnikov38 posted:

dickeye has there ever been a comic series about superheroes just having a string of absolute fuckups that eventually resolves into nothing? because that would be the perfect post-2008 movie

Punisher Max is a series about how Frank Castle, a Hard Man making Hard Choices, is ultimately fighting a futile battle because he's a violent sociopath who has just picked this as his theoretically justifiable way to do murders, and nothing he does will ever matter in the end

The Boys (spoiler for the comic) ends with Homelander being defeated but Vought just picks up and starts over and rebrands bc lol capital

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

jfood posted:

the comic is bad, like taco shits bad. the show is a taco in this metaphor, tacos are good.

Parts of the comic are dumb and bad like all Garth Ennis things, but the actual plotting is fantastic and the big twist is incredible and I'm super glad the show hasnt made that twist not possible yet

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
My pat answer for books about gently caress ups where nothing ever matters is Dredd, a comic about a century of bad decisions that never actually helped anything, usually made it worse, and yet the world kept trucking along the same as ever*

*Until Russia took their revenge and those bad decisions killed 87% of the Eastern seaboard. But everything kept going after that, just really lovely and even less functional than before

Kinda like life in America

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Koishi Komeiji posted:

I was hesitant to watch the boys at first because I looked up the comic on wikipedia to see what it was about and it sounded like some angry marilyn manson teenager poo poo but what I've seen of the show so far has been really smart and well written so I guess they changed a lot about it.

It's way more gross dick joke than gross edgelord ARE YOU OFFENDED poo poo, with like, two exceptions that make sense later in terms of the plot

The actual plot of it is great, though, the big twist is one of my favorite reveals in comics because it's simultaneously out of nowhere and then also foreshadowed perfectly in hindsight

Fake edit preacher is much more of an edgelord ARE YOU OFFENDED book and the plot is way worse structurally

BENGHAZI 2 has issued a correction as of 01:36 on Aug 1, 2019