Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

It's incredible to me how, just like the news media and the Democrats, entertainment media has absolutely no idea what to do with the Trump era. So they've decided to basically ignore the fact that he's president, and it's starting to feel like an elephant in the room. TV presidents have always been a West Wing caricature, and since that idea of a president is so obviously outdated, movies and TV just kind of leave out "The President" now.

Even the lib-level joke in the Zombieland 2 trailer about "dignity to the office" feels like a risk, because the rule until now has been that Trump is simply not acknowledged.

I'm still waiting for any kind of media that deals with the fear and loathing of this time, the uncanny valley-ness reality itself has had now for several years, and the mask that is slipping off so many of our precious norms. Even metaphorically. I think a lot of the reluctance to go there is reflected in the vast number of superhero, reboot, remake, and sequel movies and shows we have now, because going back to the past is both more comfortable and less controversial.

Under the Silver Lake comes close, esp. in regards to so much of the ritualized abuse in the circles of power that is now coming to a head, i.e. Weinstein and Epstein.

Hypernormalisation is of course the gold standard for examining the insanity of now, but it was made before Trump was even president.

Mr. Robot has managed to weave Trump into its plot well, though it does riff on Russiagate a bit in Season 3 with the Chinese Big Bad insisting they back Trump to put him into office.

Some more recent Trump era films: BlacKkKlansman, First Reformed, The First Purge

And then there's stuff like Spielberg's The Post that's total West Wing core but is very much based on the whole moral panic about Fake News and fellating the media as the way to bring down a corrupt president.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU