Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

For anyone within a couple hours of Indianapolis and nothing planned for this weekend the Brickyard Vintage Racing Invitational is this weekend. A few of my friends are racing Formula Ford but there's 250+ cars of various kinds racing this weekend. If I was closer I would be heading up tomorrow.
https://www.indianapolismotorspeedway.com/events/vintage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

We're up to *251 mass shootings this year, we're at day 216 of this year. But don't worry the problem is immigrants and terrorists. I'm so sick of reading about the latest mass shooting and nothing being done about it. Don't care if it's better mental health care, less guns or something else at this point.

I wish Democrats would pull their heads out of their asses and come up with a strategy to get the idiot out of the white house. Hell I'd be just as thrilled if Republicans did the same but no one seems to be willing to cross the orange idiot.

*According to https://www.gunviolencearchive.org/reports/mass-shooting

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

MomJeans420 posted:

USB-C ... lint
I'll have to check the wife's phone, she's woken up to find it not charged a few times. I got rid of the issue on mine with a magnetic charger plug, sticks out a little bit but it's pretty handy.

New work laptop day! Getting it setup and disabling a bunch of the windows 10 stuff. Downside is in the past ~3.5 years they've really locked down us being able to install anything so that's kind of a pain. May be laptop shopping shortly :doh:

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Just got the bill from my emergency room visit after my accident, among the wtf fees was $350 for a shot of Ibuprofen :wtc:
We tracked everything that came and went from the hospital room during my last extended stay, took pictures of everything especially anything brought in but never opened. We found charges for thousands of dollars for excess crap they brought in but never used.

T-Square posted:

I believe the closest is Minneapolis, we're in the Milwaukee area. Unless there's one in Chicago. I appreciate the sentiment and will keep it in mind though. The cancer center we're at is a bit of a drive, but it's very nice, quiet, out in the country, tons of different types of therapies and accommodations at little to no cost to ease the experience, and from all accounts of all of the doctors and nurses we've ran into so far elsewhere, they know their poo poo. Everyone is also very down to earth and knows how lovely the situation is, and how lovely the insurance companies are, so I'm pretty confident in their honesty so far.
Take a look at this list - https://mayoclinichealthsystem.org/locations?service=Oncology I can vouch for the one in Menomonie and Eau Claire as I've spent more than a month at each on various occasions. Still not super close though

Powershift posted:

Yeah, i was sent home twice with "the flu" until i showed up with a hemoglobin level of 60g/L, which is pretty much death.
That sounds like the time I was sent home with a mild pain killer then the next day while boarding a flight they called and said I needed to return to the hospital immediately. They'd managed to mix up my results and I had a massive staph infection as well as other things. I got on the flight, since I was going to my parents near hospitals I knew, and checked in a half hour after landing.

2018 was the first year since I graduated college (2009) that I haven't hit my max out of pocket within the first six months. And that max out of pocket keeps climbing :fuckoff:

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

MC Hawking posted:

It's a really nice feeling to wake up and go out to a car that starts without a bunch of complaint.

Ya ever get that diaassociative feeling? Where you remember the same scene from years ago and it was always a guessing game if the fart rocket would ignite?

Yup, having a cheap and reliable daily removes a lot of stress and extra crap to think about. Also saves money for fun weekend cars and other projects. I'm pretty sure on Thanksgiving this year I'll have had the TDI for 9 years, only car I've owned longer is the 320i at 10 years in October.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

opengl128 posted:

Close behind are people driving around with the rear fog on in clear visibility, but that's usually constrained to Euro brands and I begrudgingly give them a pass because who in the US even knows what a rear fog light is?
How about the idiots driving with their day time running lights only when it's dark out? I see a couple every day on my way into work, they're completely oblivious.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Oh hey I just got married
Congratulations

Fab work is finishing up on the Lola, I'll hopefully be picking it up this weekend or some time early next week. Then reassembly begins with 11 weeks to the first race. Seems like a lot of time but I know I'll be fighting to finish it in time.

Also had the benefits call about the buyout (we're getting bought) and it sounds like our great benefits and vacation package is getting gutted. Not sure what's worse; them arguing it was a great package or the 30 minute sales pitch before they got to the benefit stuff. This whole merger/buyout is stressing me the hell out way too much for something I have absolutely zero control over.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Tossed some old tires on the Locost and did a drift clinic today...I suck! Was a blast other than it being 95 with heat index at 105 or something stupid. They're still going but I'm a wimp and can't take the heat. Good way to kill some 11 year old tires I had laying around in a safe manner.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

STR posted:

It drives a shitload better. Totally different car aside from the lack of 2nd gear. They were going to do a drain/fill on the gearbox using fluid I brought for a flat half hour labor, until my dumbass mentioned it grinds going into 2nd... :sigh: I'm just gonna need to get off my rear end and cut down an allen key to fit the drain plug. The moment they heard "grind" they basically said "OH HELL NO WE AIN'T TOUCHING THAT GEARBOX".

I did the VW last year when it started randomly grinding and popping out of second, new fluid fixed it completely. I ended up using a short 13mm (or whatever the fill plug size was) double nutted to get the fill plug out.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

fknlo posted:

I'm currently with State Farm and my biggest concern is that they wouldn't let me claim a value on my S2000. They said I can show evidence if the actual value is higher but I know that they'll just laugh at me. I should look at Haggerty or whatever it is for it.
Look at Grundy, same coverage as Hagerty but for me it was about 1/3 the price.

T-Square posted:

Welp, just got back in the office from round 2 of chemotherapy. She felt miles better after the first round last Tuesday (probably mostly in part due to the steroid and anti-nausea IV's they give beforehand) and we met with the physician's assistant while the lab ran her blood. Then she left to get the results and came back in with the doctor and he just opened the door and stared at us and went "Guys, your lab work compared to last week looks EXCELLENT!" Apparently her liver functions have improved drastically after just the first treatment (the breast cancer had made the liver one of its new homes and there were several tumors on it) and he said he has no reason to believe that the treatment isn't working well. It's obviously going to be a long road, and the future is still an unknown, but we're riding on a bit of a high right now.
Good to hear man, always good news when the doctor is excited about labs.

Getting sick of how slow and unreliable our AT&T modem/router combo is so I'm router shopping. Anyone have recommendations for a good one? Gaming and streaming use mostly. The farther under $200 the better.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

piss boner posted:

The wife has 270k on a 05 scion xb that she refuses to get rid of and the only repair we have had is a alternator in 5 years of owning it, also dead quiet running.

TDI continues to press on with 323k as expected. Only issue now is I'm losing coolant somewhere, it's very slow but I've topped off the overflow twice in ~6 months. That and the drat thing eats headlights which leads to the headlight connectors now starting to fall apart. Put new rear pads on one side tonight as the drivers rear seems to eat pads compared to the other three corners. It's probably not sliding smoothly and dragging pad but whatever.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Nebakenezzer posted:

NOT a LFA at the wedding...

Not a LFA

This is a LFA

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

everdave posted:

Oh hiace I own a fire truck now

One of these days I need to drive over and see your growing collection. That firetruck is so cool

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Picked up the Lola from fab, have 8.5 weeks to get it race ready for the 50th Formula Ford Anniversary at Road Atlanta. I'll try to get a project thread up this weekend after I go over everything and figure out how everything goes back together.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Somewhat Heroic posted:

What project is this? How many project race cars do you have now? Are you ready to cash in your blue chips on the E28?
The S2K M3 is no more, sold the shell and working on selling the engine. Was too much of a project for me to take on. I miss it and am first in line to buy it back if the current owner changes his mind like I did. The Locost is a street, weekend and track toy that I may sell in the spring to get something like a radical or formula continental. The Lola is a T342 formula ford that sat for 35 years so I'm refurbishing it just enough to race it.

E21, E30 and E28 get rotated for weekend duties and at least for now I have no plans of selling them off. E21 rust is getting bad so I may end up transferring all the good bits to a clean shell in a couple years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

nm posted:

Holy poo poo, a literal entire mtr train load of protesters just got off when I got on the train. Was pretty amazing.
They're literally just shutting down mtr stations without warning right now, just trying to get back to the hotel.

As meatpimp said that's got to be pretty amazing to watch. Stay uninvolved and safe.