Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Trigger warning: pics of dirty holes and discussions of Rhyno laying pipe :quagmire:

I like hearing good news from our forum members. Yesterday was my oldest child’s seventh birthday. It’s wild to see how grown your kids become. It’s fun, but exhausting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Ferrari definitely is concerned about how they are perceived: Bloomberg link

quote:

Plein has posted photos on Instagram featuring a pair of bikini-clad women suggestively gyrating atop an acid-green Ferrari while the designer douses the proceedings with a garden hose. Another series showed Plein’s sparkly footwear arrayed on the hood of his 12-cylinder Ferrari 812 Superfast....A law firm representing the Italian company quickly dispatched a letter demanding Plein take the pictures down within 48 hours, calling them “distasteful” and incompatible with its image. Ferrari also pointed out that displaying Plein’s sneakers on its cars would hurt shoe labels already affiliated with the carmaker. “This behavior tarnishes the reputation of Ferrari’s brands,” the letter said.

LMAO. What a hill to die on from the prancing horse.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Darchangel posted:

Pretty sure I'd tell Ferrari to go gently caress themselves, publicly, using exactly those words, and possibly a few gestures. Particularly if I had the money to, you know, buy Ferraris.
gently caress you, they're MY cars. Once I pay for them, they're MINE, and you can go pound sand.

What kind of an "image" is "the company that will condemn and sue you if you don't use they're cars in exactly the way they want you to", AKA "prissy petulant babies"?

edit: I'd also be tempted to replace the prancing horses with the Volvo prancing mooses or something. Prancing penises. Penises with a prancing horse on them! Oh, wait, that's a Ferrari to begin with...

I mean this isn't the first time that people have flaunted (perceived?) wealth with super cars and exposed flesh. Isn't that what all the hip hop and rap people that made it(?) in the early 2000's try to show us all?

fake edit: while fact checking where my mind was going I was remembering Deadmau5 had a Nyan cat wrapped Lamborghini but it was in fact a Ferrari who also sent a cease and desist letter :rolleyes:

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

It is nearly 1:15 in the morning and this guy just put some pork shoulder on the smoker.

It’s been so long since I’ve done one so I have to post about it somewhere.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

$20 for a clone LEGO brick set is ridiculous

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

T-Square posted:

I'm hopeful.

Goonspeed. It is good that she has you by her side to support and help.

:3: Frenchies are such great dogs.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

KillHour posted:

loving gently caress. I just got you back, you piece of poo poo!

That sucks. I saw a newish Aston on a flat bed the other day. I figured it was rich dude getting it back from being serviced (common around here)

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

mariooncrack posted:

Please be careful. Don't forget a former forum member's jeep caught on fire due to a leaking gas line.

I still remember opening the Facebook notification of the live video being started on the group and I was like "well what do we have...:suspense:"

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

I saw a Porsche 959 today and literally nothing else matters.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Good work on marriage.
Re: Big C chat :glomp: I’m hopeful for all dealing with Jr one way or another get a positive outcome.

Music stuff: I recently discovered ‘the session’ podcast and have found an appreciation for songs I never once considered. Amy Winehouse and rehab? Who literally cares? Listen to one podcast and a breakdown of it and :o: blows my mind.

My boss/owner of the company has decided he’s worked long enough. So he’s moving to a very limited role, like every few weeks pop in or will be at the office when someone takes vacation to cover the workload. I say good for him. He deserves to relax more and enjoy time with his family.
So basically me and two others will be running the show. It’s a little daunting but it’s what he hired me to eventually do and the others have been there longer than me. We all know our roles and we’re ready for it.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

I’m permanently stuck in the emo/pop punk scene that I was encircled with during my formative years. The Early November, Unwritten Law, New Found Glory, Say Anything, Jimmy Eat World...give it all to me.

Mankind has benefitted tremendously at the cost of the tortured soul of Max Bemis.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

KillHour posted:

I know this is probably against the popular opinion, but the one claim I had with Geico went super smooth and the shop they recommended did a great job.

Your choice of Aston ownership doth witness against you.

Allstate. I pay a slight premium but get premium service so :shrug:

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Olympic Mathlete posted:

My ex had a cross stitched spunking cock in her toilet and a plaster model of her naked torso sat atop her piano. She was an interesting sort.

Pics or it didn’t happen.

Y’all need to watch hyperdrive on Netflix. I’m 15 minutes in and this is stupid hilarity.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Kivi posted:

Stop everything. Watch Hyperdrive on Netflix. It's amazing.

Yes. Yes this everyone please. I am glad that they got a real car person host in Rutledge Wood. He definitely serves as the patron saint/avatar of AI and can relate to the awesome/weird.

I stayed up until 1:00 in the morning and made it through five episodes because I am a masochist.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Oh god I hope not :(

It’s not all bad. My Lexus is awesome.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

KillHour posted:

My ex father in law used to work there. Gonna do donuts where his cubicle used to be.

You and what car? :thunk:

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Hyperdrive, the drifting competition on Netflix, is incredibly dumb, and yet weirdly enthralling. I'm a little crushed by Stacey Lee May, an incredibly sweet South African girl, hydrolocking her car.

Dude it was devastating. Not sure if it was the accent and how she addressed her daddy but I was super bummed. Charlize Theron showing up to recruit her in person and then casually dropping into Afrikaans for a full conversation like a total goddess :allears:

I finished the show last night. It was dumb fun, I wasn't that thrilled over the winner TBH. The most entertaining driver had the most :radcat: name ever; Fielding Shredder? New patron saint of AI

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

But will you still love it Tomorrow?

The wisest thing my father in law ever told me was ‘it’s never tomorrow, it’s always today’.

That thing is just dripping cool. :newfap:

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Suburban Dad posted:

Suburban dad of two now. Let the adventure begin! (Again)

:toot: congrats on the new sex trophy. I’m probably getting snipped next month. I’m done with three.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Darchangel posted:

Give us until the next election.

You’ll need to clarify because Britain, Australia and the US are all gunning for the lead.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

HandlingByJebus posted:

ninja: I think HyperDrive is loving awesome and I am super addicted to it

I posted as much a week ago. It took two days to watch the entire thing. The pacing gets better, the commentary gets better. The field of competitors was pretty great, as someone else mentioned there was a good representation for both male and female drivers. The spread of different cars was also very cool. Shredders Silvia was awesome, the RX-7 was sick. The german ladies Mercedes was a monster in spite of it getting crushed by seven tons of water. I was surprised how often they appeared to be evenly matched.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Maksimus54 posted:

She doesn't really have any say, but not telling her who is possibly moving in is a dick move, and a bigger dick move by your dad for making it your problem.

I agree with this a lot.

You have more than a "housemate" in your SO at this point. The way expenses are tied up are completely irrelevant and pulling rank by saying "I make more money and spend on our housing than you do" will end your relationship. You share your dwelling, full stop. My wife hasn't worked in over seven years and I wouldn't dare ever trying something like that. Your dad should be completely understanding that "you aren't telling anyone" means that you don't tell anyone outside of your house. My wife and I tell each other everything because we are mature adults and understand that things told in confidence are meant to be kept in confidence and we are united together. When friends/neighbors/family say "don't tell anyone" to one of us, they know full well that the other person in the marriage will also be told but that it will be kept in confidence.

Rethink the whole situation and think about how if you approached it differently. If you came outright and said "Hey, SHTF for my parents marriage and I am concerned Dad might not have a place immediately following the fall out. We (Editors note: not "I") have a spare room. If I help you get it a little sorted and organized do you think it would be okay if he stays here until he figures out housing?"

You could then go into specifics about what kind of duration you anticipate so you have a plan. Your dad should be involved in that discussion as well barring an agreement with your SO.

I have a 2K sqft basement with two guest rooms, bathroom, etc that we fully have set up for the expectation that either my parents or my wife's parents stay literally whenever they need. It is an open invitation to either of them, they have access to the house etc but my wife and I always clear it with one another before committing the "okay" with our parents because we respect that we both have equal say.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

NitroSpazzz posted:

Picked up the Lola from fab, have 8.5 weeks to get it race ready for the 50th Formula Ford Anniversary at Road Atlanta. I'll try to get a project thread up this weekend after I go over everything and figure out how everything goes back together.

What project is this? How many project race cars do you have now? Are you ready to cash in your blue chips on the E28?

Rhyno posted:

I drove an IS-F

First impression, i dont know how to use paddle shifters.

So the car was insanely good. Unreal power on demand, I hit it and was clocking 60 in what felt like a heartbeat. The exhaust was noticeable when the windows were down but the engine noise was kind of not a thing? Didn't really take any reckless turns so I cant really assess how it performs there. It was on aftermarket suspension but I didn't find out what make. Felt very good on the road, bumps didnt jar me much. I only had his lunch break to gently caress around so I didn't get to do too many crazy things.

As a drivers car, very cool. But man, the seating position was not great. I couldn't find a good spot that worked for me. Also the interior, while high quality was a bit dated but the car is 9 years old so not that odd. He also tells me this is not a cheap car to own. Yes it has Toyota reliability but when something needs replaced it isnt cheap. He said he has no regrets owning it but he's sunk a solid chunk of cash into it since he bought it new.
He also advised me to buy the newest model possible but 2013s are still running big bucks.

Overall it's a solid 9/10. I'm not sure if I'm a luxury muscle car guy but I wouldnt hate finding out.

Was it a first or second gen? As I understand it the first gen was bone jarring harsh in the ride. They were the sensible persons M3, or at least that is who they were targeting. The first gen auto was a letdown (again quoting early journalists) but the second gen was supposed to be very nice. Their red and blue paint colors were very striking and they are good looking cars. I think the problem is now they are too bland and are easily mistaken of F sport IS250 and IS350 cars. They need to stand out a little more.

So you should just buy the M3 we have been telling you to get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Never ever buy a Samsung appliance. They make good screens. That’s it. We bought a Samsung when we built our house and it died in three years. Died in the sense the ice machine froze itself solid in spite of my using a hair dryer to thaw it and chisel out the pieces multiple times. The vinyl/plastic white liner I don’t even know what to call it started splitting and it leeched some awful chemical smell that was unbearable. It permeated everything. I talked about it in the chat thread whenever it happened. It was horrible. Worst $3000 I have ever peed away.

I know a lot of people are gun shy over LG but I love ours that replaced our Samsung. I loved the one we had in our condo before we built our house. My parents worked for over a decade before selling their house and having it stay with the house. I like LG.

For dishwashers; it’s Bosch man.