Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

ExplodingSims posted:

Well, I dont know anything about working on diesels, so how bad of an idea is cramming a twin turbo Duramax into a 70yo truck?

That sounds like a great idea.

Please do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Liquid Communism posted:

Not for any reason of competition, but because they're not equipped to put out a lithium fire.

Because a track isn't equipped with fire extinguishers, you see.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

STR posted:

To be fair, a lot of places don't have a class D fire extinguisher. And smoke from a lithium ion battery fire is insanely toxic.

Liquid Communism posted:

Regular fire extinguishers ain't going to do poo poo to a lithium ion battery fire, and a Class D extinguisher big enough to take a shot at a burning car starts around $20k. You need a few inches of foam on the fire, not just to deprive the fuel of oxygen briefly.

Actually, Class D would be incorrect for a lithium ion battery fire, there's no elemental lithium that is burning, Class D is for metal fires. Class B would be what you want. Any dry chemical ABC or BC fire extinguisher would be correct to use, but you'd probably need several to put out a car.

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Aug 2, 2019

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
I used to repair phones and probably the most common issue with an iPhone charging port is it being packed full of lint.

I dug lint out of a few hundred phones, with a pair of steel tweezers, and destroyed exactly zero charging ports/phones doing so.

With any lightning or usb-c port, if the connector doesn't go all the way inside the port, then there's probably lint packed into it.

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Aug 7, 2019

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

nm posted:

Finally had to replace the 7 year old battery in my Mazda.
Did batteries always cost $150?
I'm sure I got robbed because it was stone dead and I couldn't wait for my dad's costco card (where they are apparently $80 somehow).

You got robbed because the core cost is tiny these days.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Ferremit posted:

If its not anything fancy like an Optima or an AGM or Lithium then yeah, they shouldnt be that expensive.

Unless you Live in Australia. Where an Optima Yellowtop is a $450 battery...

They start at $325 (about $360 for you) here.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Previa_fun posted:

We're about to start pissing in the well.

You haven't?

At this point I think a bunch of us are just waiting for him to post about impending fatherhood.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

meatpimp posted:

I don't think the cause was ever determined, and he had a penchant for the call of the void.

The replacement fuel pump and gaskets increased pressure on the injector lines and they sprung a leak further down. IIRC fixing that was next on the list but the jeep burned first.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

There's this stuff that falls from the sky called "snow". Would you believe it's frozen water? Good lord it's absolutly ghastly stuff. And would you also believe there's this thing that happens on cars called "rust"? It's true! Cars actually fall apart due to this substance. And everyone there is so polite and saying sorry all the time and there's no black and white birds trying to murder you. It's just... WRONG I tell you!

You live in the land of roos, dingos, big fuckoff spiders, and drop bears. All of which are out there actively attempting to murder you.

And you're scared of a little ice and iron oxide?

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Cause not everyone reads the small engine thread, I present to you all, the most adorable carb for a sub-50cc motor I've ever come across.

It's 2bbl.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
It kicks in at about 1/3rd throttle.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
drat, up here if your doc says you need chemo, you get chemo.

You just might have to wait 6-24 months to start...

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

What? September is the best month.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
I just found out part of my childhood is possibly worth a modest but decent amount of money and am considering selling.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
I am an uncle now. My neice arrived about an hour ago via c-section. Over 3.5kg and the spitting image of her mom.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Oh god I hope not :(

Says the guy who fools around with Toyobarus.

Give in, buy a Hilux with big roo bars, flags, knobby tires, and sick decals. It would be dope af and you know it.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Ferremit posted:

2005-2006 HDJ100 landcruisers are still selling for $35-50K

Don't remind me, I'm still trying to find the raunchiest HDJ101 organ donor in Japan.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Ferremit posted:

And they're asking $10-12K for a motor of unknown origin and service history of course...

With no ECU, harness, or H151 mated to it so probably double that to get those bits as well. Once you're looking at $20k+ you might as well start looking for a donor instead of buying it all separately.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
That tire is well and truly chooched.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

:swoon:

What a beautiful wagon.