Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

ExplodingSims posted:

Well this got lost in the depression shuffle of the last thread,
But I'm super loving happy about it so uts getting reposted

Good poo poo man, guess that means you won't be coming back to FL any time soon huh :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Can anyone recommend a good computer chair? preferably a comfortable one that doesn't make my legs fall asleep?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

heffray posted:

Retail on new good chairs is $1k, you can find them at used office furniture stores for a lot less. I got a pair of Steelcase Leaps for $150 each, and they'll easily outlast whatever cheap foam & particle board stuff Staples sells at that price.

Checked CL and there's a place selling those used for $250, might have to go check it out thanks.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Finally got the payout for my car from Geico.....Over three weeks later. That gecko can eat a bag of dicks.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Gotta love people trying to hide the fact that the car they are selling has a rebuilt title, hoping that some dumbass will come along and pay full market price for it.

"but it's fine it's in great condition" go gently caress yourself

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

MAH GUNS

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

So after looking at and driving a bunch of different cars in my price range and being mostly disappointed, I'm just getting another xB :v:

Driving across the state to get it too, buying it from a Mercedes dealer of all places in West Palm Beach. It was the only clean, low mileage and decent priced xB I could find near me, but it's a good excuse to spend the night on the beach at least :)

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

bolind posted:

THE BAD
  • No ISOFIX on front passenger seat.
  • Coming from a BMW M leather steering wheel the one on the mazda feels thin and plasticy.
  • Doesn't feel like 165HP.
  • Lane assist is annoying
  • So are the other nanny features
  • And the electric parking brake
  • Comes with a loving CD player. In TYOOL 2019. Dafuq.

All in all I'm not madly deeply in love. Looks fantastic, though!

You can turn off most of the nanny poo poo usually.

Also CD players are awesome what's wrong with you :colbert:

Also might want to research if Mazda fixed the bearing issue with the 6's slushbox before you buy. I was considering a used one until I found out about it.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Aug 7, 2019

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Darchangel posted:

American Insurance: would you just DIE already?

Just got the bill from my emergency room visit after my accident, among the wtf fees was $350 for a shot of Ibuprofen :wtc:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Powershift posted:

What were the bills like when you were first dealing with your Chron's? My first year with UC i spent like 5 months in the hospital, and over the past 6 years have probably had $500k worth of drugs run through me, and I'm not even American.

That was all through the VA hospital so i have to pay a small percentage but.....It took them a year to figure it out, at first they thought it was a bladder infection and put a camera up my dick hole to look around and found nothing, then all kinds of scans and MRIs. Still nothing. Scope in each end and nothing. Welp, must be psychosomatic so they sent me to a psychiatrist and tried to put me on antidepressants and i told them to gently caress off. Then finally a gastro doc suggested a pill cam and that's when they finally found it. Tried to get me on Humira and I said gently caress that. Been using medical grade CBD and it works wonders :)

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Powershift posted:

Yeah, i was sent home twice with "the flu" until i showed up with a hemoglobin level of 60g/L, which is pretty much death.

I've been through Remicade, Simponi, and now trying Entyvio and like 25mg CBD/day without much luck. :smith:

Is it medical grade CBD made from Cannabis or Hemp CBD? Because Hemp CBD is worthless.

There are times when I will take up to 50mg in one day depending on how I feel, some days I don't take any. Tincture/oil drops under the tongue work the best in my experience.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

slidebite posted:

I recently tried CBD (Cannibis) sublingual and it was absolutely worthless for me. I was hoping it would help my sleep and maybe the back pain I sometimes get..... but on me it was worthless on both counts. A little disappointed after all the :350: promoters kept saying how it basically helps everything (which is a super red flag I know) but I was a little optimistic.

Oh well.

CBD supposedly works with controlling inflammation, so unless your pain is inflammation related I don't think it's going to help much. It does absolutely nothing for my back pain either, but it stops my crohn's flareups dead in it's tracks. Did you give it time to build up in your system? It takes at least a week. Also CBD is just like any other drug in that it affects people differently, my wife uses it to help her sleep, but other people I know that have tried it said it didn't help much if at all either. I'm really lucky that it helps me otherwise i'd be on some lovely drug with horrible side effects like Humira.

That being said, i like to tell people that have had no luck with Hemp CBD to get registered and get the real poo poo first before they completely write it off. I've tried Hemp CBD a few times in an effort to save money (it's half the cost) and it's failed me every time.

I also smoke regular weed and tbh it's not some awesome pain reliever like some people make it out to be, at least for me. It helps take the edge off my arthritis pain a bit but that's about it. Most of the time it's not worth getting high just for a small amount of pain relief when I have poo poo to do. At the end of the day sure, but otherwise no.

Darchangel posted:

Just curious, why no to Humira? Is it just the $LOL cost or some side effect? My wife was taking Humira for her psoriatic arthritis, and it worked, but our insurance changed and no longer covered the (exorbitant) cost. Mind you, they’ll cover all sorts of things For osteoarthritis, but gently caress you if you have psoriatic. That’s apparently not uncommon with insurance. Dicks.

One of the side effects is death, lets just put it that way.

The more common poo poo is always being sick because your immune system is compromised on it. That's the biggest complaint, there are more problems but most people that are on it complain of being sick all the time.

https://www.webmd.com/drugs/2/drug-64713/humira-subcutaneous/details/list-sideeffects

That's a long rear end list of possible complications.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Aug 9, 2019

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Darchangel posted:

And hoo-boy on the Humira side effects. I will have to mention that to the wife. It's not really an option anyway, being something like $5K/month for the dosage she was using.

Yeah I had no clue until I was on a crohn's forum (there's a forum for everything now lol) and there was a thread about Humira horror stories and i was like :stare:

The amount of people having problems was crazy, almost everyone said they were sick of being sick all the time and of course cancer stories and poo poo like that. This was before my doc tried getting me on it, but I knew he would eventually because the steroid treatments weren't working and when that time came i said hell no I'm gonna try CBD first. Thank god it works for me, it doesn't for everyone.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

slidebite posted:

RE: CBD. I tried taking it 3 days in a row with no discernible effect - maybe I'll keep going a little longer on it to see if it does anything at all before turfing it. I purposely bought the kind with minimal (~0.6mg or something) THC so I don't think it's good for much else.

I was told by my dispensary to give it at least a week. It started helping me in a little less than a week, some people it takes longer, and some it doesn't help at all. It's worth a shot for sure.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Rhyno posted:

"I need more internet points, better set my only form of transportation on fire."

I always thought it was kind of sad that he felt he constantly needed the approval of AI and FB or whatever and did dumb poo poo just to try and stay relevant.

The fact that he started the Jeep fire doesn't surprise me at all.

MC Hawking posted:

It's a really nice feeling to wake up and go out to a car that starts without a bunch of complaint.

Ya ever get that diaassociative feeling? Where you remember the same scene from years ago and it was always a guessing game if the fart rocket would ignite?

But now it's....kinda more fun to be a square with poo poo that just works because ain't nobody got time to dick around with a cantankerous starter relay.

That's why I'm getting another xB, it just works. All the utility I need without any bullshit and the best stock stereo I've ever had in a car.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Aug 10, 2019

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

fridge corn posted:

This forum did a lot to encourage this sort of behaviour

Oh without a doubt, but the fact that he was more than willing to appease didn't help either.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

The heating bill would probably be more than the mortgage :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Goober Peas posted:

I bought a used Kia Soul from a local Hyundai dealership last week. My transaction did absolutely nothing to improve my opinion of Hyundai dealerships.

Cliffs Notes:

Car was advertised at $6300 on Autotrader, in the newspaper, and online. They 'made a mistake' it should have been $9800.

I got to my car, and it magically was $6300 cash.

Get to F&I and they used a fancy computer desk. There was no option to not purchase Gap insurance despite it being a cash sale.

I made it to the lot exit before they waved me back in.

Back to the fancy desk, they wanted me to sign approval to run a credit report. 'We do this on all customers'. Even on Cash sales? I'm walking.

I went to lunch.

Finished the deal later that afternoon. Parting shot - 'We noticed your LaCrosse - what would it take to get you into a G80?' Flying pigs over frozen hell.

Wow I just had the complete opposite experience....Bought a 2013 xB from a Mercedes dealer this past weekend and it was the smoothest transaction with a dealership I've ever had. I negotiated the OTD price with the salesman via text, came to a reasonable price and sent them a deposit. Sent in all the the info they needed to have the car ready, got there and looked it over and took it for a quick drive. Signed all the appropriate paperwork, handed over the cash and i was gone in 30 minutes from the time I walked in the door. would have been sooner if it wasn't pouring rain. The dealership was super professional and treated me with respect even tho i was buying a lovely econobox at a Mercedes dealer A+ would recommend it :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

So a friend of mine posted a link to an '06 Acura TL AT with 170k miles on it on a group text with some other friends......I said those cars have garbage transmissions stay away especially at that mileage, and he got all mad saying "you're garbage". Well apparently he had already gotten the car and was looking for some type of validation i guess :v:

I was just like sorry man, good luck with it I guess :shrug:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I tried to tell my brother when he was looking at an Accord of the same era and he bought it anyway. less than a year later the transmission was replaced at the tune of $1500 :v:

It's just not worth the risk imo.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Isn't '06 past the worst of it by far, though? I thought it was mostly the '99-'03 range that was Bad.

It's still not great really. I don't trust any Honda ATs at all, just from personal experience. Manuals only when it comes to Honda for me :)

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Aug 13, 2019

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

STR posted:

For some reason I really like Honda's automatics, at least their 4 speeds (when NOT mated to a V6). They have a nice firm shift if they've been taken care of and have the right fluid.

And yeah an 06 should be long out of the glass era.

I really like the 4 speed auto in my xB. Good torque off the line and shifts really well. Feels great after driving around a nissan CVT for three weeks :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

meatpimp posted:

How does it compare to the old one? Can you grab the springs from the old one?

It's actually a bit quicker, I wonder if they bumped up the horsepower from '12 to '13....If not maybe my old one had an issue or something.

The old one is at auction right now so who knows where it will end up. Even if it ended up in a yard near me I know the front left spring and strut are hosed. I would like to get back the RAV4 leather steering wheel i had on it tho.....But i can always find another one on ebay.

Besides, I plan on just driving this one until I get a settlement from the accident. If it's a decent amount (and it should be) I'm gonna get a new Civic Sport MT probably.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

ExplodingSims posted:

Some people are going up, others are having a tough time.
But as long as we don't fall into the "gently caress 20XX" pit I think we'll make it through just fine.

I've never really been in that pit before but I'm teetering on the edge of it this year :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Congrats CT! It's the end, um... I mean beginning of your new life! (I keed)

Music talk....Anyone else kinda psyched for the new Tool album dropping at the end of the month?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Olympic Mathlete posted:

If it was 15 years ago, probably... I've moved on, the betting is Tool haven't.

Well considering rock is pretty much dead at this point, I'll take whatever new stuff I can get. Not a huge fan, but I like them and getting a new album from a band I actually like is few and far between these days.

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

I'm listening through Colour & the Shape again. It still holds up.

Been listening to Soungarden's Down on the Upside lately and man it's really loving good.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Tomarse posted:

Sorry mate, but anybody who says that [genre X] of music is dead is a dick. Stop becoming that old man.

But it is? Rock used to be mainstream and it's not anymore, hasn't been in a long time. It's got nothing to do with how I feel about the genre, because I love rock music. Yes I'm old because I remember when rock dominated popular music so that makes me a dick I guess lol.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

NumbersMatching320 posted:

There are people still writing goddamned swing music in 2019, a genre doesn't die as long as someone is doing something with it. They'll rise and fall but I see it more like waves hitting a beach. And yeah, calling rock dead is being a dick- there's a whole world of incredible performers and new ideas and ardent fans in the rock scene out there and to call it dead because it's not currently as commercially successful as um, Ed Sheeran (had to look up the t40s lol) is to crassly dismiss all of those people and their collective passion.

Lol I realize the scene is still there but as far as rock being mainstream or popular music it's over. This isn't a knock on it because like I said I love it (look at my avatar it's loving Keith Moon), but denying it and calling people dicks for pointing it out doesn't make it less true. Saying "rock is dead" is just a term stating the popularity of it is nowhere near what it used to be, it doesn't mean it's buried six feet under, some of ya'll are taking it way too personally geez.

Now excuse me while I listen to some Black Sabbath :colbert:

And here's some of the Keith Moon we all know and love

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9boFzhUVG4

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Aug 17, 2019

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Tomarse posted:

not being mainstream is not the same as being dead! The mainstream is generally pretty poo poo. Are decent cars dead too because the mainstream drive a boring appliance?

It's just a term that means rock is no longer a part of the mainstream dude, in that case it's true. And yes the mainstream is poo poo.

Just imagine if all the cool cars dominated the market and boring appliances were in the minority.....That's how it was with rock in the late 60's going all the way into the 90's. Being born in '71 I got to grow up with all the cool music and see the rock genre grow into the monster it was in the 90's. I went to so many shows I couldn't begin to count, it was a great time to be a music fan. It's just kind of sad now how computers and autotune programs are making all the popular music now days, it's all poo poo.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

KakerMix posted:

Yeah but like, who cares about how popular it gets?

I don't care, I was just stating a fact that's all :shrug:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

How is the FRS/BRZ as a daily tho? I thought about one but it doesn't seem like the best choice for a DD.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Lord Stimperor posted:

Okay I think I know the feeling... But are you genuinely missing the music more, or is it maybe that you're missing the highs of your youth? Because for me it's the latter. In terms of music, the amateur/indie scene positively exploded when SoundCloud, Bandcamp and so forth came out.

I miss being blown away by a new band or album coming out, it's all been done already and nothing sounds new or fresh to me anymore, just a variation of poo poo that's been done already.

When you've experienced the innovation of rock music (or music in general really) from the 70's into the 90's nothing really comes close these days tbh. Doesn't really have much to do with my youth, because I can still listen to that music today so there's no yearning for something that isn't there anymore or something. I can still listen to Alice In Chains' Dirt and remember the first time I listened to it not long after it dropped in record stores, thinking holy poo poo what is this. That just doesn't happen anymore.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Pretty much every week I hear a new favourite track. I listen to loads of different stuff though, there's samey tracks in all genres so sometimes you should take a break and listen to something else to give yourself a break.

I did that but went in reverse to older stuff. It's how I fell in love with The Stooges and Iggy Pop. Went through the Beach Boys' entire catalogue they are amazing. And got to appreciate The Rolling Stones even more.

Also purely by accident discovered Live at Leeds, probably the best live album ever recorded, always loved The Who but for some reason never listened to any of their live stuff what a mistake lol. It's in my top ten album list now.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Liquid Communism posted:

gently caress 'em. The Bismarck (like all the super-dreadnoughts) had a short combat record of no note. It was crippled by obsolete torpedo bombers less than 10 days into its first sortie, then scuttled after the Royal Navy pounded everything above the waterline to scrap. Stanning for Wunderwaffe bullshit isn't cool.

Maybe they'll write a song about how awesome the Yamato was next :v:

[e] their gimmick is bizarre imo, lets write metal songs about military history it will be educational!

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Aug 19, 2019

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

mariooncrack posted:

Worked for Iron Maiden :colbert:

Lol comparing them to Maiden is laughable. Besides, the few songs Steve Harris wrote about war was from his own point of view, not literally copied out of a history book.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Geico can suck a dick. Took almost a month to get a reasonable payout for my totaled car after they low balled the poo poo out of me. Only after many phone calls arguing with them then finally threatening legal action did they finally make a reasonable offer, not even a good one really. Their initial excuse for the low ball offer was "paint was chipped and scratched".

Sent them receipts for recent work done, including full TRD suspension that was two months old to the tune of over $600 and they gave me $50 credit for it.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Geico has been great for me too so far. Wife totaled her car, we got a new one like immediately.
Then someone backed into us, and we had to deal with whatever bullshit insurance is recommended by AARP. It took 2 months to fix a dent.
Then someone rear ended us a month ago and we're STILL dealing with USAA trying to get that fixed.

Pete and Pete introduced me to the band originally.

Kind of expect that from another party, but when it's your own insurance company that you've had for over two decades dumping shitloads of money into you'd expect better customer service. Highly disappointing and i will be dropping them asap.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Darchangel posted:

That’s the best description of his drumming I’ve ever seen.

Haha yeah that’s a good description. Controlled chaos is a term I’ve seen thrown around a lot.

If you want to listen to some of the best rock drumming ever listen to Live at Leeds its phenomenal. I play the drums and it’s impossible to try to play like him, anyone that plays will tell you the same thing, he’s an anomaly.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

My wife bought a little quote sign and snuck it in the kitchen on me when I wasn't home.

It says "No woman has ever shot a man while he was doing the dishes" :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Lol what the gently caress. I'd be calling her out on that poo poo daily.

[e] The well is way past China and into the vast universe :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

And that makes it a lot easier to :sever:

:)