Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

OwlFancier posted:

This is the correct way to read harry potter IMO.

Also kind of mirrors my experience too :v:

I blitzed through in think the second potter book in a couple of days on a holiday and the only other thing I had available to me was my dads copy of Night Watch. Hooked from that point on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Josef bugman posted:

I've also just purchased (and gotten about halfway through) Radical Happiness. It's very interesting, though I think the overemphasis on "this is too medicalised" in chapter 2 alongside the constant Freud quoting does pull me out of stuff.
Yeah there's some weird bits in there, but she's absolutely right about the medical establishment saying to housewives "you need valium" rather than "you need liberation" in the 60s, because the last thing that most 60s doctors wanted was their own wives getting ideas.

It remains to be seen how much of this we'll see in antidepressants and late capitalism in the future.

It helps to situate this within her own place in the women's movement.

(Also it never said that the valium didn't work, it clearly did help a lot of those women be satisfied with their lives. Whether that's the desirable way to do it isn't a pharmacological question though, it's an ethical and sociological one.)

OwlFancier posted:

:yeah:

I think I'd read most of Pratchett to date by the time HP first came out, but it sounds like a good plan.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Sanitary Naptime posted:

I blitzed through in think the second potter book in a couple of days on a holiday and the only other thing I had available to me was my dads copy of Night Watch. Hooked from that point on.

I mean this is the thing, Pratchett writes in a way that is instinctively appealing to teenage nerds in that it is funny and not as serious even when it is deadly.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Sanitary Naptime posted:

I read Potter late (started reading Discworld at 13 thanks to our 3rd year English teacher introducing me to the books), and thought the first three books were pretty decent children's books, but after that they just got lazier and lazier, with less and less active editing in view.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Chuka Umana posted:

another political wiz kid lofted up as the true master of no 10?

just like andy coulson?

it's like people who think lynton crosby is a genius. no it's not hard to win an election when the opposition sucks and you can just say "MIGRANTS STEALING MONEY" to boomers over and over again.

Mostly I'm looking forward to Cummings inevitable downfall because he's utterly self-important and just a complete arse by all accounts.

If you want to bore yourself to death you can read this, 237 pages he wrote called "Some thoughts on education and political priorities" which I have just started to read but it seems illuminating about him. Wrote when he was a SPAD for the Department of Education in 2013, around the time Gove was pushing through his incredibly unpopular education reforms.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Pratchett writes funny things and then punches you in the dick when you aren't expecting it.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Guavanaut posted:

Yeah there's some weird bits in there, but she's absolutely right about the medical establishment saying to housewives "you need valium" rather than "you need liberation" in the 60s, because the last thing that most 60s doctors wanted was their own wives getting ideas.

I also find that some of the simplifications on things like sex in the Medieval era to be eye roll worthy. It was so much more complex than that! But then that's why it is actually readable instead of being an academic text.

I did like the talk about what love is, mainly because I don't think I've felt it since I was like 16 or so and I liked the idea that she talked about it being a lack of something that you hope the other person can help with.

OwlFancier posted:

Pratchett writes funny things and then punches you in the dick when you aren't expecting it.

That and the sense of melancholy without Nostalgia, which I always liked.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

OwlFancier posted:

Also kind of mirrors my experience too :v:

:same: why would I read this book about some kid going to lovely wizard school when I can read eg. a book about lovely wizards running a school doing comically dumb poo poo because wizards have infinite hubris

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

I have yet to read The Shepherd's Crown, and even thinking about it, knowing what it's about I start welling up. Dude was special to a lot of people

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Pratchett is the reason I like books and the reason my English is actually good.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Josef bugman posted:

I mean this is the thing, Pratchett writes in a way that is instinctively appealing to teenage nerds in that it is funny and not as serious even when it is deadly.

This might be a good tip for parenting nerdy children. make sure they get introduced to and obsessed with terry pratchett before they discover and get obsessed with like, ayn rand or something. they'll still be insufferable dorks, that much is inevitable, but at least they might occasionally be capable of basic empathy from time to time

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Did I write this already? I enjoyed them up to Hogfather then after that while I still enjoyed them I felt they went off the boil and I was no longer determined to get every book in the series.

Did any of you see that documentary on Pratchett's dementia? It was very good I thought.

Talking of Discworld... (what a neat segue if I say so myself)

Apparently many (world) turtles like having their shells brushed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-PSt1s_aGQ

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

RabidWeasel posted:

:same: why would I read this book about some kid going to lovely wizard school when I can read eg. a book about lovely wizards running a school doing comically dumb poo poo because wizards have infinite hubris

Yeah you can have "And there are loads of wizards and it's all whimsical and magical and fun!" or "There are wizards and they're all basically just the same as any other people: Incompetent, irresponsible, dickheads" and the latter is a lot more fun.

It's a bit like why Four Lions was so good - Chris Morris said he wanted to write a film about Terrorists and he figured that when you got 4 terrorists together in a shed they were probably just like any other 4 men getting together in a shed in the UK. It's like the central conceit of the film and it's great.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1167557630019211266

:thunk:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Did I write this already? I enjoyed them up to Hogfather then after that while I still enjoyed them I felt they went off the boil and I was no longer determined to get every book in the series.
Similar about obsessively reading them but waned later than Hogfather, e.g.

Angepain posted:

This might be a good tip for parenting nerdy children. make sure they get introduced to and obsessed with terry pratchett before they discover and get obsessed with like, ayn rand or something.
the parody Rand hero as villain in Going Postal was :discourse:

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Nah, its the Romanians coming over here and stealing our jobs!

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
I did have a long Potter post ready to go but I will condense it to: Prisoner of Azkaban is the best book and movie; Half-Blood Prince had some good ideas; Order Of The Phoenix may be the worst book I've ever read; JK Rowling needed a stronger editor

the wobble
May 22, 2005

Bryter Layter
Doctor Rope
as a mainland European, I must confess not understanding more of this then this

uk: shenanigans
eu:
uk: more shenanigans
eu: ..

sorry

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Don't you dare oppress us into not hammering our dick into the table!

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

happyhippy posted:

Nah, its the Romanians coming over here and stealing our jobs!

Romania is where vampires come from...

Britons losing lifeforce...

It all makes sense!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

the wobble posted:

eu:

sorry

You have a better understanding of it than most people in the country so congrats.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

I did have a long Potter post ready to go but I will condense it to: Prisoner of Azkaban is the best book and movie; Half-Blood Prince had some good ideas; Order Of The Phoenix may be the worst book I've ever read; JK Rowling needed a stronger editor

Strange how books by author Robert Galbraith did nothing til it was 'accidentally' revealed it was a pen name of Rowling.

quote:

The crime novel had received positive reviews when it was published in April, yet until the identity of the author was revealed it had sold about 1,500 copies in hardback. By lunchtime Sunday it had topped Amazon UK’s bestseller charts.

Rowling said she had hoped to keep the secret longer “because being Robert Galbraith has been such a liberating experience. It has been wonderful to publish without the hype or expectation.”

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-...el-8708316.html

I think she means, she wasn't selling.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

the wobble posted:

eu:

sorry

you've missed out the last step, which is the uk chastising the eu for doing so many shenanigans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
New thread up, hope everyone had a good time if they went to any fun stuff during Pride and Protest Month.