Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

Does the Goon Bugle fit up a butt?

Wait what? And they kept all the diddlers in the 70s?

Radicalised against The Conservative and Diddler Party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

There may be reasons this is a dumb opinion but although XR could definitely be more effective than they have been so far, it's hard to argue that they haven't been more effective than just about anything else to do with global warming recently at getting attention for the topic.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Shakespearean Beef posted:

Spiked! Magazine
True that, but that's just because they think antisemitism is both fake and also good.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Jack the Lad posted:

There may be reasons this is a dumb opinion but although XR could definitely be more effective than they have been so far, it's hard to argue that they haven't been more effective than just about anything else to do with global warming recently at getting attention for the topic.

Consciousness raising is liberal activism bullshit, you use awareness to build power or you fail.

I'm extremely glad that my criticisms and scepticism that I expressed in April are more widely acknowledged now.

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum

The Deleter posted:

Greggs is always slightly disappointing. Their jam doughnuts are very poor cos all the jam is leaking out of one quarter of the donut and the rest is just dough. If I knew where to get a half-decent jam doughnut in Nottingham I'd go elsewhere!

Not specifically jam ones but look up Doughnotts. More Krispy Kreme style than the 'soggy, sugary mess' jam doughnut you might be looking for though!

(Beaten. This is what I get for not refreshing the page)

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Guavanaut posted:

I do not have cats atm but it turns out that you can timeshare them just by putting food out and talking to them.

Six Dinner Sid is real.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

namesake posted:

Consciousness raising is liberal activism bullshit, you use awareness to build power or you fail.

I'm extremely glad that my criticisms and scepticism that I expressed in April are more widely acknowledged now.

Absolutely agree, just hand wringing is a bit rubbish - but whose events I can attend instead to achieve change now?

Are we talking about comrades carrying out lone wolf direct action at coal plants, or what?

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Anyone else think that Rees-Mogg sounds like the hairy gunk you have to pay a plumber to dig out of a clogged bath drain? If not, is there anything I can do to make it a synonym of this? Maybe via rhyming slang (Rees = Mogg = Clog)?

Nah I always think of the M:tG goblins. As in "god drat UK really has a

"

Shakespearean Beef
Jul 12, 2008

Ask me all about how I proudly marched alongside literal NEO-NAZIS to protest against the GOVERNMENT taking away our FREEDOMS because of nothing mote that the common FLU!!! I'm holding aloft the TORCH of FREEDOM!!

Guavanaut posted:

True that, but that's just because they think antisemitism is both fake and also good.

I mean, they're the only left newspaper that have taken a principled stance against the stalinist/censorious tendencies of today's brand of ineffectual SJW liberalism.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Jack the Lad posted:

Absolutely agree, just hand wringing is a bit rubbish - but whose events I can attend instead to achieve change now?

Are we talking about comrades carrying out lone wolf direct action at coal plants, or what?

Hello friends at the digital intelligence services. This is a dead comedy forum and we're cool. Don't worry about it.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Jack the Lad posted:

From what I've seen recently in the news the capitalists and taking direct action themselves by not paying their miners to the point that they block the rails taking the coal out of the mines..

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Has this been done?

https://twitter.com/cstross/status/1156863009182146560?s=19

Because, loving of course

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Junior G-man posted:

Hello friends at the digital intelligence services. This is a dead comedy forum and we're cool. Don't worry about it.

Yeah, to be clear for our friends in Cheltenham I wasn't advocating anything in particular there.

I do want to do more and make an actual difference now, but I don't want to blow anyone up.

thespaceinvader posted:

From what I've seen recently in the news the capitalists and taking direct action themselves by not paying their miners to the point that they block the rails taking the coal out of the mines..

Cool and good miners.

Jack the Lad fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Aug 1, 2019

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Jack the Lad posted:

Not on SA we aren't.

There's a few groups trying to build support for a earth strike on 20th September - see if any of them are around you or otherwise try to get some traction through your union.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/EtheHerring/status/1156149048988119040

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

:sterv:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/YuiMok/status/1156870744204333056

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

LMAO we shall not see the likes of this spectacle again in our lifetime.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Shakespearean Beef posted:

I mean, they're the only left newspaper that have taken a principled stance against the stalinist/censorious tendencies of today's brand of ineffectual SJW liberalism.
Their stance of "free speech means we deserve a platform anywhere we want and anyone trying to use free speech to criticize us is a Stalinist McCarthyist fascist" captures the spirit of modern Trotskyism better than any other paper.

The dress in the real world hellscape looks nicer imo.

namesake posted:

Not on SA we aren't.
Yeah the natural gas plants are better targets.

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

lol, they had them everywhere in government buildings counting down to the Olympics

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

namesake posted:

i had to check the twitter bio to make sure it wasn't a piss take

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Here's the clock but theirs is red if you want to Brexit cosplay and have £700 spare.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Jack the Lad posted:

Earth-Strike is a left-wing climate activist movement with specific campaigns around the country. I went to their protest in Bristol a few months back ago and it was really big and really positive.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

^^^^You coming to the organising meeting tonight at 6pm at the PRSC?

Halloween costume idea: Flavour Flav but the clock necklace is counting down to Brexit.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Flavor Flav but the flavor is one that was banned in the EU in the 90s because of cancer.

e: Benzophenone Flav

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

Here's the clock but theirs is red if you want to Brexit cosplay and have £700 spare.

There's something so symbolic about buying this loving thing rather than just using a wall calendar that I can't quite put my finger on.

At least a calendar would still be useful after the electricity goes out on 00:05 Nov 1st

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Guavanaut posted:

Guavanaut posted:

can't believe they didn't get a bargain one on AliExpress

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

namesake posted:

It's maybe getting a little too theatrical, you know? Very much a carefully-managed spectacle.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

I legit think someone should make a Parliament Petition to change Big Ben to countdown to Brexit Day

I think the Gams would insta-spooge at the idea.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Ratjaculation posted:

can't believe they didn't get a bargain one on AliExpress

Nah mate , Buy British* :britain:

(*Final assembly in Britain, all components made in Shenzhen)

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

we could even ditch 2020, and just call it 1AEU

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Guavanaut posted:

The Morning Star. Downside, they might shovel fabricated transphobic and tankie bullshit down your throat. Also expensive.

Also pro Brexit bullshit

And so obsessively sucking up to their favourite TUs they fired a journalist for mentioning whatshisname from RMT abusing his partner.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

CGI Stardust posted:

It's maybe getting a little too theatrical, you know? Very much a carefully-managed spectacle.

Oh yes it's deliberately the greatest show on earth so I'm expecting absolute mania for the next three months.

Panic is a lot like a wave, you must ride on top of it rather than be consumed by it.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Failed Imagineer posted:

There's something so symbolic about buying this loving thing rather than just using a wall calendar that I can't quite put my finger on.

At least a calendar would still be useful after the electricity goes out on 00:05 Nov 1st
If I'm reading the datasheet right, there's a setting where when it reaches the event it just flashes 00:00 so it's thematically fitting.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

If I'm reading the datasheet right, there's a setting where when it reaches the event it just flashes 00:00 so it's thematically fitting.

At that point it's both a clock and a GBP/USD readout

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Antifa Poltergeist posted:

Claudio Boro is the head analyst for BIS,the bankers bankers...bank.surprisingly the guy is pretty non ideological in its analyses, he has a interesting interview here:

https://www.ilsole24ore.com/art/bis-more-balanced-policy-mix-for-sustainable-economic-growth-ACwq1eV

Basically all orthodox economic models ignore the financial sector and don't model for it, and no one knows what the gently caress they are doing.
We are at the stage where everything that kinda worked in the past is not working anymore, and we are at the "throw everything at the wall, see what sticks" phase.

I can't stress enough how monumentally stupid this all is.

Crossposting this from EUpol - really interesting interview about how all our economic models are broken and the solutions of the previous crisis won't work.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The crisis consists precisely in the fact that the old is dying and the new cannot be born; in this interregnum a great variety of morbid symptoms appear.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/michaelsavage/status/1156881351506874368?s=19

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

namesake posted:

Oh yes it's deliberately the greatest show on earth so I'm expecting absolute mania for the next three months.

Panic is a lot like a wave, you must ride on top of it rather than be consumed by it.

That just makes me wonder what they're going to try while everyone's looking at the show. Johnson's a good showman, and Cummings apparently likes confusion and misdirection. It's all a bit Hypernormalization. Maybe I'm overthinking things, and I just need to sit back, turn my brain off, and enjoy it all while buying lots of canned food.

As an aside, an interesting article from Will Davies here about how Johnson's initial approach seems to be a fusion of nationalism and the social aspects of neoliberalism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Who the gently caress polls by telepho..... oh.