Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Here is my catte, Fang

He's about 7 years old now and originally from Stockport. Also he is p evil.

Edit: I would pay the cat tax, but I literally just posted my cat!

Edit edit: 4. There was a gang of them in China.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
https://twitter.com/hellishwaitress/status/1156883906664308736

Goon or merely Goon-adjacent?

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Ratjaculation posted:

I legit think someone should make a Parliament Petition to change Big Ben to countdown to Brexit Day

I think the Gams would insta-spooge at the idea.

IIRC when they started work on Big Ben (SILENCING THE GREAT BONG :qq:), there was gammon talk about chiming the bongs in March as we left the EU for FREEDOM. :britain:

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

New prime ministers always get a bump in the polls, it’s not something to worry too much about.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Comrade Fakename posted:

New prime ministers always get a bump in the polls
And in the bogs in Johnson's case.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/andrea-jenkyns-whiplash-concussion-chair-fall-a9030691.html

Replace the chair with the economy, her head as the taxpayer and physics as brexit, and you’ve got a suitable analogy for brexit. Or, alternative, it’s proof that being a brexiteer means you’re a stupid loving child. Take your pick.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

CGI Stardust posted:

That just makes me wonder what they're going to try while everyone's looking at the show. Johnson's a good showman, and Cummings apparently likes confusion and misdirection. It's all a bit Hypernormalization. Maybe I'm overthinking things, and I just need to sit back, turn my brain off, and enjoy it all while buying lots of canned food.

As an aside, an interesting article from Will Davies here about how Johnson's initial approach seems to be a fusion of nationalism and the social aspects of neoliberalism

Isn't neoliberalism plus nationalism pretty much straight-up fascism though? It's just saying the quiet parts of neoliberalism out loud.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

namesake posted:

^^^^You coming to the organising meeting tonight at 6pm at the PRSC?

I work late on Thursdays. I think some members from my group might be there though.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
can we have "polls are meaningless" somewhere in the OP please

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I suspect a lot of the Labour -> LD vote is based on ignorance regarding Swinson. It may not survive a campaign that highlights her more-tory-than-most-tories voting record.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Checked out Doughnotts and the place was rammed. I will have to seek pastry satisfaction another time, but thanks for the shout goons!

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

"Polls are useless"
- Remainers

"Poles are useless"
- Leavers

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

thespaceinvader posted:

Isn't neoliberalism plus nationalism pretty much straight-up fascism though? It's just saying the quiet parts of neoliberalism out loud.
Neoliberalism plus nationalism is more like Bushism than fascism. It's about bringing people together as a nation by creating a series of Others while selling off the state apparatus, not cementing the supremacy of the state.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
it fuckjng rules that i’m gonna be out of the country for most of october but return the very end of october just in time for purge poo poo

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

thespaceinvader posted:

Nah, fascist corporatism is way different from neoliberalism. Neoliberalism is inherently about a global economy while using xenophobia etc as a cover to give the illusion it's not.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

namesake posted:

Consciousness raising is liberal activism bullshit, you use awareness to build power or you fail.

I'm extremely glad that my criticisms and scepticism that I expressed in April are more widely acknowledged now.

Citations Needed had a great bit about this - how marches used to be an instrument of change, and were useful because they drummed up support and the like for other action. But now marches have become an end in themselves, so people can say "look how many thousands we had" and then go home

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/EveningStandard/status/1156781800456372224?s=19

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

I think the fact that Labour and the Lib Dems have the same Brexit policy really needs to be promoted more.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

kind of burying the lede of them having invented time travel IMO

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum

The Deleter posted:

Checked out Doughnotts and the place was rammed. I will have to seek pastry satisfaction another time, but thanks for the shout goons!

Yeah it legit queues out of the door most days, it's mental.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Surprise T Rex posted:

Yeah it legit queues out of the door most days, it's mental.

never underestimate how charging twice as much for something can delude people into thinking it's somehow twice as good

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Julio Cruz posted:

never underestimate how charging twice as much for something can delude people into thinking it's somehow twice as good

krispy kreme doughnuts look ok but I have and will never pay several pounds for a single doughnut

but tbf krispy kreme as a company is an embezzlement scheme that coincidentally happens to throw away thousands of doughnuts every day

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall
oh I forgot pret too

at this point you should assume that expensive pastries exist purely to fill out a loss sheet

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Spangly A posted:

krispy kreme doughnuts look ok but I have and will never pay several pounds for a single doughnut

but tbf krispy kreme as a company is an embezzlement scheme that coincidentally happens to throw away thousands of doughnuts every day

Their doughnuts are flavourless shite as well. I'm reminded of that the hard way every time I'm tempted by them in the cabinet at Tesco.

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.
I love phone polls. Who the gently caress still has a landline? Who picks up when some rando calls and is like "ay, which of this shower of bastards you hate the least?"

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

njsykora posted:

Their doughnuts are flavourless shite as well. I'm reminded of that the hard way every time I'm tempted by them in the cabinet at Tesco.

I enjoy how they're always at the other end of the shop from the bakery to stop people from making the immediate price comparison

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

5 jam doughnuts for 69p is the best value for money.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Spangly A posted:

at this point you should assume that expensive pastries exist purely to fill out a loss sheet

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

njsykora posted:

In vague defence to Krispy Kreme, the one you get in the Tesco cabinet have been sitting there hours and hours.
Doughnuts are always fresher better.

Since it was payday yesterday, I got myself a wee treat from "Tantrum Doughnuts" on my lunch break, it was great.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

thespaceinvader posted:

Depends on which definitions you're using. In the article, Davies uses some parts of the social aspect of neoliberalism, referring to a combination of forced optimism / positivity and risk-taking, where as an individual doesn't know what's going to happen (neoliberal approach to uncertainty and irrationality), they are expected to meet it with positivity and an open-minded "responsible risk-taking", and accept the result as part of a disciplining process. He seems to apply this to a state's politics to get a sort of state-as-neoliberal-subject idea, afaict. I'd say fascism relies more on the idea of past imagined glories, and returning to the supposedly known. Johnson's approach hasn't so far relied on that, or of treating the EU as an external enemy. That could change, of course.

There are some similarities between neoliberal philosophy and fascism, but they don't really apply in this context.

vvvv lmao

CGI Stardust fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Aug 1, 2019

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

holy poo poo

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

mehall posted:

In vague defence to Krispy Kreme, the one you get in the Tesco cabinet have been sitting there hours and hours.
Doughnuts are always fresher better.

Since it was payday yesterday, I got myself a wee treat from "Tantrum Doughnuts" on my lunch break, it was great.

Tantrum owns and is a pro rec for Glasgow goons looking to gain diabetes with a smile on their face.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

There’s some boutique doughnut shop/stall on Fleet Street where each donut is £6.50 or more. I’m not really that surprised considering only lawyers would ever go there, but still. That’s two meal deals and an apple!

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

https://twitter.com/keiranpedley/status/1156890526999863296

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
hashtag boomers

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

JAB, who own krispy kreme and pret and a bunch of other stuff, have a history of using slave labour and described themselves in the 40s as a purely Aryan business who fully supported race theory.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Tsietisin posted:

5 jam doughnuts for 69p is the best value for money.

Sometimes on a Friday I'll pop down to the nearby Sainsbury's and get the bags of the raspberry jam donuts and leave on the table for colleagues. They are gone SO fast.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Just don’t accidentally grab the soggy chocolate ones

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Can someone give me the sparksnotes on how Living Marxism went from ridiculously crude third-worldist 'anti-imperialism' to the turbo-conservative Spiked? It's such a fascinating transition that I'm sure follows some coherent progression but I've yet to find an account that doesn't assume some knowledge of the minutiae of 90s fringe-left groups and figures.

Sanitary Naptime posted:

looking to gain diabetes with a smile on their face.

please don't do this tia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

I remember the glory days of ten doughnuts for £1 from Tesco