Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Exporting food: Great! Fantastic! International trade is brilliant!

Importing food: A DISGRACE.

The doublethink here is :psyduck: . Especially when, y'know, we probably physically can't feed 66 million people with only home-grown food.

And I was almost a expecting a "Please clap."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Camrath posted:

PC Zone, ffs. PC Format was the dull one, PC Zone the fun one with Brooker et al.

Yes I take 90s games journalism v seriously.
Zone was the best of the PC mags, and I say that as someone who worked on one of its rivals. (Similarly N64 Magazine was the best N64 mag, even though it was my mortal enemy job-wise for the better part of three years.)

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Sloth Life posted:

I had to drop a dictionary on a hawk moth once. It was loving huge and in my flat so death was the only possible outcome.
My avatar approves.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

limited posted:

It's one of those names where you can't wonder why the heck they didn't get it changed, after the assumed merciless bullying at school.
One of the grad students acting as a teaching assistant on my degree course was called Richard Head. His parents were either oblivious or sadistic.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

thespaceinvader posted:

Because University is where all the people your age doing the same thing are and taking out loans to go on a 4 year bender is a lot less wholesome when you do it on your own.

But in all seriousness, that's where the clubs and societies and new knowledge in all sorts of forms, are. It's difficult to find what you want to do with yourself without being in the melting pot of a whole bunch of people doing the same thing, in structured or semi-structured ways.

That was part of the University experience I basically entirely missed out on and wow do I regret that now, 15 years later.
Same here (30+ years ago). I went to a few clubs once each at the start, didn't feel comfortable because of massive shyness and anxiety issues, and never went back. My entire first year was a miserable, lovely experience (not helped by being the only first-year in a block full of cliquey second-years - the joys of getting a last-minute place via clearing!) and I almost dropped out. Luckily I finally made some connections right at the end of the year, but I still never engaged with the wider social scene. It was basically booze or do nothing.

Edit: also holy poo poo at people getting a place based on predicted grades. What the gently caress?

Small Strange Bird fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Aug 14, 2019

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
May be mixing it up with another book, but my strongest memory of A Kestrel For A Knave was my 3rd year primary teacher having carefully crossed out and replaced the line "Piss off!" with "Go away!" in fountain pen. (Leaving the original totally legible.)

Next strongest memory was of course the misery. :smith:

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Down to the town hall for the marriage, over to Harry Ramsden's for the wedding lunch. (Then Lake Como in Italy for the honeymoon. Priorities!)

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I responded directly to a politician on Twitter for the first time ever today by calling Iain Duncan Smith a "ghoulish sociopathic vulture" in response to this tweet. It'll change nothing, but I felt it was justified.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
The difference between the BBC and Guardian headlines right now are very telling.

BBC: Backstop alternative 'possible within 30 days' Boris Johnson welcomes apparent optimism from Angela Merkel as she suggests a solution could be found

Graun: Merkel gives Johnson 30 days to find solution to avoid no deal

When you actually read the BBC story, despite someone's heroic attempts to spin it as positive for Johnson it is, inevitably, basically what the Guardian's said; Merkel is getting fed up with Johnson's poo poo and said, in essence, "You want an alternative to the backstop? Then loving show us one that isn't a load of fantasy moonbeams and horseshit!"

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

OwlFancier posted:

I dunno how the US system works but the gist I got is that it works very hard to make sure that popularity of the candidate doesn't affect the outcome :v:
It works exactly as intended, until the moment it fails horribly and completely.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I want to believe that everything won't keep getting worse and more stupid, and everything good won't be carved up and sold off to ultra-rich vultures, and Corbs will win a banging VONC and usher in a new golden age, and the hardest possible Brexit isn't a miserable inevitability, but living in a house with two dogs and two cats and a four-year-old has shown me the terrible truth: we can't have nice things. :smith:

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Szmitten posted:

I'm sorry your dual cat experience is being sullied by two dogs and a child.
Oh, the cats are lovely. Except (as happened just this weekend) when they poo poo on a rug, which then gets stepped on...

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Ms Adequate posted:

Just check the websites of everything you're interested in on an hourly basis
There's another way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

OwlFancier posted:

The Mummy with Brendan Fraser is the best film ever made and I do not see the point in trying to improve upon it.
The Mummy Returns, on the other hand...

Actually, it's grown on me because of A: its sheer demented lunacy ("Let's take everything from the first film and amp it up about a thousand times! On crack!"), and B: what at the time felt like wretched CGI excess now feels quite genteel and restrained.