Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good

Jose posted:

So I've possibly got a job as a contractor meaning I either need to setup my own company or use an umbrella company. What involved in the stuff I'd need to handle myself like NI contributions if buy a company for it? I'd quite like a costco card

If you're working for the man, legally they probably won't let you be a sole trader. That's where all the contractor incorporating as limited liability companies stuff came from in the first place.

Is it paying > £300 p/d / 50k a year? Get an accountant, it'll cost you about £100 a month but is worth it for the advice / simplified company set up / them handling payroll. The company itself will run you about £150. Remember at 80k+ you need to be VAT registered too. EDIT: Oh yeah, and remember that if you incorporate you're paying 19% corporation tax on everything you take in. That's why it's pointless under about 50k.

Otherwise just find an umbrella that doesn't look too shady. Remember that if you ever go the self employed / limited company route you're on the hook for personal tax returns for life. Also you'll probably need private liability / public indemnity insurance.

Also, watch out for IR35! The off-payroll fuckery they spunked all over the public sector is coming to the private sector in April (maybe... depends if we still have a government I guess).

https://www.contractoruk.com/

RockyB fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Aug 20, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

It was a lovely idea, but people were advised at the time (by accountants and Hmrc themselves) that it was legal. Now Hmrc are going back to 1999 and saying "oh we've decided this is illegal so we'll retrospectively charge you 20 years tax on those years you thought were closed. In one year, so at a top tax rate. Pay up in the next six months. With penalties."

It's the retrospective taxation that's the real issue. Imagine being told you need to pay an extra ten percent income tax on everything you earnt since the turn of the millennium.

And of course this is going to hit all the bougies on 50k a year (including for example some NHS people who were told they would only be employed using this scheme) rather than any proper tax avoiders like large companies or actual rich people.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Important to remember than it many cases it wasn't initiated by the people who got hit by it, they were just told that in order to work here you need to use this scheme. Hmrc says it's fine!

Goes back to the turn of the millennium IR35 introduction and employers trying to work out the 'best' way to fake employ someone.

Close the scheme down, go after the promoters, charge people the right tax on the open years (i.e this and last). If your incompetence causes something like this to be a "loophole" for 20 years, you don't get to do a massive gently caress-you tax raid going right back to the start. Especially when you've been told here have already been confirmed suicides over it.

Disclaimer: nope, never used the scheme myself. It was obviously dodgy. But just because I'm a clever sod doesn't mean everyone is.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Rustybear posted:

HMRC posted:

HMRC can help those who are genuinely unable to make a full payment of tax owed on time. We can agree payments by instalments and will carefully consider an individual’s ability to pay on a case-by-case basis. There is no maximum limit on how long someone can be given to pay what they owe, and this will be based on our assessment of income and expenditure.

A dedicated HMRC team is focused on working with those who are not able to pay the charge on disguised remuneration loans by the payment deadline and supporting them to agree a manageable payment plan.

So 'paying it back this month with interest or your kneecaps are ours' seems a bit much?

I'm from the government and I'm here to help (you pay all this tax we've decided you now owe us.)

I have zero confidence in HMRC operating in good faith and genuinely attempting to help people, in much the same way as I think the DWP is systemically dysfunctional. Especially given they have outright flannelled MPs and refused to set up suicide prevention hotlines. Take https://www.hmrcloancharge.info/lcag-press-release-3-july-2019/ as an example, although obviously the source is anti loan charge.

Yes, there are undoubtedly smug wankers out there who 'deserve' to get hit by this. There's also a whole lot of preventable damage being done by yet another callous government department who are going after the 'end-user' rather than the actual people who are pushing this stuff in the first place. Always going for the (relatively) little guy, rather than 'proper' fully funded off-shore tax evasion by the big boys.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

The Libs posted:

Jeremy Corbyn risks scuppering no-confidence vote, says Jo Swinson

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49468218

Somehow even Boris doesn't make me scream silently at my monitor quite so much as her.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

AceClown posted:

Hmmmm, just had an email, at 22:00 today of an emergency CLP meeting tomorrow at 6pm.

No agenda set, nothing from above about why but they are asking for all members to attend.

Think this might have to be my first CLP meeting lads, something is afoot.

Has the revolution started yet?

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Get some bottled water for rehydrating all that dried stuff and drinking. After all, Johnson did promise that the chemicals needed to purify water would definitely be available post Apocalypse....

Not trying to jump on anyone here, be prepared and all that, but what kind of brexit apocalypse are people thinking of that's going to cause the water supplies to turn off? Water companies have a legally mandated requirement to supply water in the case of an outage, and backup generators to keep plants going in the case of rolling blackouts because the continental electric interlinks went down etc. Cant' find a decent source, but look at page 22 of https://assets.publishing.service.g..._pdf___002_.pdf as a brief example.

Food I can see getting some long life supplies just in case, to get through a couple of weeks of panic buying clearing shelves etc, but a couple of litres of water isn't going to last long compared to just filling up a bath tub the day before we leave. I can't quite get my head around the mindset. Is it people have worked themselves into a froth, just want to feel like they're doing something in a world they can't control, or are seriously planning?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Coohoolin posted:

Btw guys good news, I was chatting to the DJ at my local last night and apparently pop punk is coming back in a big way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwhPOlIuSXM ?