Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Either that or "Yeah, you got a big Reesmogg in there, that's what causing the backup."

"Looks like the 18th century in there"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

njsykora posted:

Their doughnuts are flavourless shite as well. I'm reminded of that the hard way every time I'm tempted by them in the cabinet at Tesco.

In vague defence to Krispy Kreme, the one you get in the Tesco cabinet have been sitting there hours and hours.
Doughnuts are always fresher better.

Since it was payday yesterday, I got myself a wee treat from "Tantrum Doughnuts" on my lunch break, it was great.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Rarity posted:

I am so up for doing a podcast ep where me, sebzilla and mfcrocker spend the whole making GBS threads on Mr. Wolf's

(Realtalk: a UKMT podcast could probably end up working really well cause we've got such a wide variety of interests, areas of knowledge and expertises that people could rotate in and out to fit the subject matter)

I am 100% up for doing a podcast

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Bobby Deluxe posted:

You just need a good title.

"Listening to us is Praxis"

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

Given the thread's geographic distribution the accents would be awful.

Most of us probably wouldn't be able to understand each other never mind the listeners.

I'm able to speak respectable english when I need to.

I'll just occasionally go full Glasgow, call you a oval office, and chib you.
Through the internet.
Somehow.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Firos posted:

If I've learned anything from listening to a million podcasts it's that you get everyone to record locally.

Yeah, was gonna post this.

Get everyone involved to download Audacity, and then send you the completed wav when finished, you line them all up and work out what adjustments need made to each track.
Everyone should have headphones though, otherwise difficulty increases massively.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

AceClown posted:

Look, I'm not saying I know poo poo about politics or highbrow stuff, but if you need someone to talk about butterfly populations in North East Derbyshire or the slow decline of the Scampi 'n' Lemon NikNak flavour profile over the last 20 years I can probably fill 10 minutes or so.

Oh god, are we supposed to know about politics AND be highbrow?

Maybe I can't do this.

And miftan, I will absolutely eat a segment of chocolate orange for 2 minutes. Then another minute of me advising how good it was.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

I don't typically drink hot drinks.

I'll have a hot choc in the winter, especially if it's offered to me because someone else is putting the kettle on or nipping to Tim Hortons or whatever, but I'm normally a cold drink drinker.

Not made cold brew coffee in a few weeks though.

Think my next homebrew beer might be something I make with cold brew too.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Aidan_702 posted:

Guys what are your tricks for when you are literally trying to keep your eyes open in an office job

poo poo posting on here or on discord.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Aidan_702 posted:

There’s a discord??

Yeah, dunno why we've not ended up in the OP unlike IRC, but here's an invite link valid for the next day

https://discord.gg/UztmPU

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

winegums posted:

Bit of a yes, and ho! post, but....

I just learnt about the West Brom FC boiler mascot who came about after the club got sponsored by a boiler company.

Corbyn should put "football clubs will be returned to the hands of their members" as a manifesto pledge. The general corporatisation of football and gentrification of some teams is quite interesting to me as an outsider who doesn't really watch football; but the low-level complaints fans have about disenfranchisement from their teams seems like an easy way to get lots of people who are ostensibly non-political on-board.

Wait, do you work in my office, because I too just learned about this this afternoon.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Scikar posted:

A Blue Snowball Cardioid is about £50 and is a huge quality jump up from most headset mics, although yeah it can't save you from bad room acoustics. Fortunately there are still lots of things you can do in a room, just having something behind the mic that absorbs sound makes a big difference because that catches the first set of reflections in the typical vocal range.

I can also attest to the Rode Video Micro.
Only issue is it doesn't come with a stand, so you'd need a tripod compatible stand, or a boom arm, but the videomicro also works with android phones, and for an extra tenner can work with iPhones, in case you want to record on the go.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Heners_UK posted:

Just curious if the podcasters have anything they'd recommend for those of us who spend all day on Online Meetings with headsets on. I figure that I'm spending so much time presenting etc I should put some effort into the audio.

Chances are whatever online meeting software you're using will be compressing the audio anyway, so not likely to make that much difference.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/FrogCroakley/status/1157707355775221760?s=19

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

keep punching joe posted:

Melts thinking Scottish nats will play ball in their unity government.

https://leftfootforward.org/2019/08/lib-dem-mp-reportedly-rules-out-working-with-snp-in-remain-alliance/

It's the Libs that wont work with the SNP.
Dunno about Unity government, but the Libs are willing to work with literally anyone but Corbyn and also the SNP.

makes u think

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

radmonger posted:

I would consider it implausible that Labour could negotiate a deal that led to satisfying 20% of leave voters while keeping the ~2024 GDP within 20% of what it would have been otherwise.

The best route to satisfying a larger percentage of Brexit voters is to spend some of the resources and effort that lost money would represent on infrastructure, health care, welfare, industrial investment and culture. While stressing that we would never have been in a position to do so without the shock to the status quo represented by the Brexit vote.

as well as what Tarnop said, there's the issue that Labour won't have a majority government in pretty much any scenario, and that those changes take time to take effect.
It's not day 1 spend aw the money, 6 months later it's all grand and no issues anymore, hell there's plenty things I wouldn't expect from the last manifesto to necessarily get seen to in a full term parliament, sometimes things fall by the wayside.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

I'm 30 ive only had two family members I've directly known pass.

My maternal grandpa died when I was 6, so I didn't really have sufficient connection to him to feel any loss.

One of my aunt's died about 3 years ago, but this was after years and years of drunkenness and unpleasantness. I felt it was a shame she'd died - there's two kids - but again, I didn't have any real connection with her, and couldn't get time off work for the funeral.

My gran is in a care home now, has been a few months, and honestly since her stroke a year or two ago it's been a matter of time, well likely lose her before my wedding in 2021, and even if we don't, she won't be well enough to attend.

Some people just don't experience it.
My last suit was a darkish blue, but I've also gained a lot of weight over the last few years, if gran passed tomorrow, I'd need to buy or borrow a suit, and I'm lucky enough to be in a situation where I could afford one.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

I know it's not a snipe, but I so rarely get a good picture, so cattle tax -

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

forkboy84 posted:

The real person to commend for ending the slave trade is the person who started it. Because you can't end something if it hasn't happened :thunk:

Reminded me of this -

https://youtu.be/GUDxpivFKGM

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Regarde Aduck posted:

Despite his lack of self insight, AceOfFlames seems to be in a rough spot and maybe lay off the dogpile? Everyone is usually so accepting, itt, of people with various mental ailements and yet because he's being non-compliant, which I admit isn't helpful, it appears the knives are out.

The thing about AoF is, he'll do this every couple months, the thread will tell him to go get therapy because he clearly needs it, he proceeds to ignore that advice, and continues posting like an idiot, eventually till he gets tired of being told to gently caress off.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

No paid breaks, no more increased pay for bank holidays or night shifts, decreased holiday allowances.

All in exchange for "higher pay".
Yes, the new base rate is higher for a majority of employees.
It is, however, also the new minimum wage for 25+ from April.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

thespaceinvader posted:

This certainly wasn't true when I was working in further education 10 years ago, but that may have changed since then. Our outreach person was continually offering student loans to elderly people doing their first degree in retirement and noting that they would literally never have to pay them off.

loving boomers!!!

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

kingturnip posted:

Oliver Letwin has written at least one Tory election manifesto, right?

More to the point Ken Clarke is a former Tory Chancellor and had various positions in Thatcher's cabinet.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

marktheando posted:

Hearty lol at at the Lib Dems. Swinson is so awful, I bet a big part of her resistance to Corbyn's plan is fear of losing her seat if there's an election haha.

She's even going about that the wrong way!

Her seat is big remain, in line with most of Scotland. If she's seen as not blocking no deal when the SNP have done everything they can, then she loses one of the two things going for her, leaving her with just "Not the SNP"

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Demiurge4 posted:

Man its so surreal reading this thread and the poo poo you post from twitter. What IS it that has the entirety of the political establishment so loving terrified of this polite old granddad? I don't even think its his policies at this point, there has to be something loving earth shattering secret he'd have access to as PM they don't want him near.

You're right!

We all know the secret too, and know just why they're afraid of him.

(It's that capitalism is bad)

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Junior G-man posted:

He is such a loving weasel:

Oh no! What will Labour do without high-value donations?!?

They released membership numbers just the start of this month, and they were still over 500k.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/aug/08/labour-membership-falls-slightly-but-remains-about-500000

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

The EU has not explicitly ruled out re-negotiations with someone with different red lines to May.

Boris has not changed May's positions, so the only possible deal is May's deal.

I'll find a quote from the last week or so to confirm, one sec.

e;

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Labour can't commit to backing remain over a deal they've negotiated before they negotiate it because then why would the EU make a good deal?

Labour also can't commit to backing its own deal over remain because they can't know what's going to be in such a deal. They know how they want to go about it, but not what they'll actually get from the EU.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Do you know what's hosed?

The UK doesn't have paprika crisps but you go *anywhere* on the continent and you can get them.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Samovar posted:

loving hell, was that from the point-of-view of someone who was incredibly dumb anad had no taste?

I'm no Edinburgh stan, on account of Glasgow's better, but the Prince's Street stretch is pretty nice.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Tesseraction posted:

Of course my computer would absolutely poo poo itself the day of a constitutional crisis

So you're having a computational crisis?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Which one of you is host of WDTATW tanasmashing, who has followed the podcast twitter already.